You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vrea_Zwei

Less range on BB tier 7~8

45 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
320 posts
29 battles

Did you notice it ?

shot_15_04_21_09_07_24_0245.jpg

Kongo-class Battleship have 21.2km range (with last FCS)

shot_15_04_21_09_07_43_0951.jpg

Fuso-class Battleship have 21.8km range (with last FCS)

shot_15_04_21_09_08_00_0403.jpg

Nagato-class Battleship have 20.5km range with only 1 FCS (slightly reduce than Fuso-class)

shot_15_04_21_09_08_35_0792.jpg

But, Amagi-class Battleship have only 19.9km range with last FCS

So, if we compared them together

Kongo-class Battleship have 21.2km range

Fuso-class Battleship have 21.8km range

Nagato-class Battleship have 20.5km range

Amagi-class Battleship have 19.9km range

Very nice range at Amagi right? :popcorn:

Beta Tester
320 posts
29 battles

Amagi would be 21.7km with the fire control system upgrade

I don't think so... Because Amagi have only 2 FCS and the 1st FCS have only 18.1km range :popcorn:

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

It is true 16" shells fly shorter than 14" one IRL?

I am no military expert but logic and law of physics tells me that a 16" shell which is presumably heavier should fly shorter than a 14".

Also I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, trolling or really asking @_@

Edited by ARASHI985

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I am no military expert but logic and law of physics tells me that a 16" shell which is presumably heavier should fly shorter than a 14".

18" Yamato's High Explosive Armour Piercing Shells could reach 42 Km

16" Nagato range 32 Km and 37 km after upgrade

14" Ise range 25 km and 35 after Upgrade

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Have you ever wondered why Yamato's gun has the longest range despite being heavier than all other guns of smaller caliber?

How far a shot can travel depends on the firing arc of the gun (45 deg for max range), the amount of propellant charge, the weight and dimensions of the shell itself, and so on...

Though I still think it is weird to have higher tier guns have less range than lower tiers, I suggest nerfing Kongo's and Fusou's range (it also reduces BB camping) :popcorn:

Beta Tester
39 posts
169 battles

Depends on the gun I think. Looking at realistic data available Fuso could potentially fire out to betwween 28-32kms, Nagato out to 37kms. Yamato out to 42km range.

Might be a game balancing thing that WG haven't quite got right yet

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

18" Yamato's High Explosive Armour Piercing Shells could reach 42 Km

16" Nagato range 32 Km and 37 km after upgrade

14" Ise range 25 km and 35 after Upgrade

I presume that the longer range is a result of improvements/modifications/technological advancement of the main batteries or other machinery. The law of physics still apply that provided everything else stays equal a heavier shell should travel less distance.

But you do have a point there.

How far a shot can travel depends on the firing arc of the gun (45 deg for max range), the amount of propellant charge, the weight and dimensions of the shell itself, and so on...

When you need an expert he immediately pops out of nowhere.

Now I come to think about it again can the additional quantity of propellant charge counteract or surpass the effect of the extra weight? I guess it's prolly a yes if you think of an ICBM as a huge ass bullet.

But then ICBM burns fuel I guess that's a different story

Edited by ARASHI985

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I presume that the longer range is a result of improvements/modifications/technological advancement of the main batteries or other machinery. The law of physics still apply that provided everything else stays equal a heavier shell should travel less distance.

But you do have a point there.

It depends on

Gun arc (most noticeable)

Types or sizes or shape of the shells

The Caliber

and many other thing that i'm not able to tell

Edit: Physic telling me the heavier the thing the harder it stop even the gravity, for example you throw marble and a heavier solid stone at the same size and shape but different weight at the same speed and arc

The Stone will travel further than the marble because it's heavier

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

Edit: Physic telling me the heavier the thing the harder it stop even the gravity, for example you throw marble and a heavier solid stone at the same size and shape but different weight at the same speed and arc

The Stone will travel further than the marble because it's heavier

Just for the sake of integrity when you apply the same amount of force to an object at the same angle the heavier object ALWAYS travel less distance HORIZONTALLY due to gravity.

Your example is not applying the same force to the object since Force = Mass x Acceleration.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Just for the sake of integrity when you apply the same amount of force to an object at the same angle the heavier object ALWAYS travel less distance HORIZONTALLY due to gravity.

Your example is not applying the same force to the object since Force = Mass x Acceleration.

when I mention same Speed it means it require different amount of force (But I'm glad I can speak English in physics with you)

that's why 18" shot sounds harder than those 14"

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

when I mention same Speed it means it require different amount of force (But I'm glad I can speak English in physics with you)

that's why 18" shot sounds harder than those 14"

It's cool it's just that you quoted "Physic telling me the heavier the thing the harder it stop even the gravity" that's related to momentum and you used that example to try to prove that a heavier object should travel longer distance which is simply wrong. By changing the force applied (or any other parameters such as gun arc etc) you are not making a legitimate comparison. It doesn't change the fact that a heavier object will travel less distance than a lighter object when everything else is equal.
Edited by ARASHI985

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

The amount of force used to launch/shot is different

As I said, as soon as you changed a parameter the comparison becomes invalid. It doesn't prove that a heavier object should travel longer distance.

You example is like saying:-

1. You kick a football with your foot

2. You throw a tennis ball with your hand

3. You make a conclusion that a football should travel further than a tennis ball since that's what you observe from your experiment.

See the problem there?

Edited by ARASHI985

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Barrel type & length, rifling (if present), shell shape, propellent type, propellent amount, angle of firing all add up to increase/decrease the range.

edit - link to a simplified doco on balistics:
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/swos/gunno/INFO6.html

Edited by dead_man_walking

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

As I said, as soon as you changed a parameter the comparison becomes invalid. It doesn't prove that a heavier object should travel longer distance.

You example is like saying:-

1. You kick a football with your foot

2. You throw a tennis ball with your hand

3. You make a conclusion that a football should travel further than a tennis ball since that's what you observe from your experiment.

See the problem there?

then tell me why Yamato could fire Further 

explain to me why lighter thing could move further

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

Barrel type & length, rifling (if present), shell shape, propellent type, propellent amount, angle of firing all add up to increase/decrease the range.

edit - link to a simplified doco on balistics:

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/swos/gunno/INFO6.html

Holy molly is that some sort of lecture material from a military school I see the intro making references to gunnery officers O.O

Edited by ARASHI985

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Heavier than standard projectiles will develop more momentum and will travel farther at longer ranges.

I WIN:coin::medal:

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

then tell me why Yamato could fire Further 

explain to me why lighter thing could move further

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Gravity is constant. So the heavier mass has a larger force applied to it downwards when it is travelling through the air. So it will hit the ground faster than a lighter object thus travels less distance.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Gravity is constant. So the heavier mass has a larger force applied to it downwards when it is travelling through the air. So it will hit the ground faster than a lighter object thus travels less distance.

That's a very standard thing in physics

it doesn't count momentum, air velocity, turbulance, Spinning shells

and it will only used when it's not move horizontally

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

I WIN:coin::medal:

I love how you left out lighter than standard projectiles will travel further at shorter ranges.

The statement below that just proved my point - "A higher initial velocity projectile will have to be heavier than a low initial velocity projectile to achieve the same range". Which means that a heavier projectile cannot outrange a lighter projectile unless it has a larger initial velocity. Which means IT IS APPLYING A LARGER FORCE TO THE PROJECTILE.