You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BoBaLoT

GRAF ZEPPELIN

7 comments in this topic

[WOOK6]
9 posts
6,916 battles

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

I have noticed recently that my premium CV (GRAF ZEPPELIN) has basically become a useless paperweight as I can no longer get close enough to anything above Tier VI before my entire squadron gets annihilated.

Has anyone noticed this rather big issue?

[LBAS]
1,776 posts
3,485 battles

Its must be lag issue,

i am fine doing damage. Even Des meme get hit by my torpedo at the start of battle. Maybe you can attach some replay for more explanation.

Look the replay folder inside WoWs game. Select your replay, then upload it 

• Boring 1

[WOOK6]
9 posts
6,916 battles

I am not getting my planes close enough to even shoot anything (except torpedo) because my planes are being shot down. Nothing to do with lag

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,302 posts
11,001 battles

GZ has very low health planes, that take forever to turn.  This is balanced by the speed of the planes, meaning you spend much less time in AA than other CV's.

Your aim is to minimise time spent in AA zones.  That means being on boost as you attack, and never turning for a repeat attack inside a ships AA zone.

Here's how I play it.  I focus on TB attacks, I take off and fly to the outer side of a flank, being as efficient in my route as possible.  I'll dump a wave straight after take off, then feather the boost to ensure my boost is used up when I'm past the half way point on the map, at which point I'll dump the second wave, activating Last Gasp for the last wave.  I'll then line up a BB from a fair way out, then start the attack at 8-9km as I'm spotted, making sure to be attacking broadside of course.  I'll fly straight in, drop the torps, then back to the ship and do that again.  Keep doing that over and over, cycling in some DB attacks (they can be much more direct, and you can do repeat attacks with the same squadron if you can find a lone BB or cruiser - fly out of the AA zone to turn around) if you don't have multiples of three TB's to abuse Last Gasp.

If you're flying your TB's into what looks like strong AA, then pop your heal as your first plane goes yellow.  That should enable you to get all your torps off.  You'll learn over time how many and what ships you can attack that will need a heal, and which ones you can run without using a heal.  Obviously if your heal is on c/d or you don't have one left then don't be attacking groups that will shot down your TB's in the few seconds you're attacking.  Target selection is still important in a GZ, like other CV's.

I'll always keep an eye out for what DD's are doing, and when I see a vulnerable DD (separated from fleet, preferably with their smoke unavailable), I'll run an RF squadron out to them.  These planes are very slow in comparison, so it's easy to waste time here, you have to be sure you can get some decent runs on the DD.

GZ is all about getting as many attacks in as possible.  The TB's are it's main strength.  Efficiency is key, you have to constantly be thinking about how you're going to get as many attacks out in the shortest possible time.

Edited by Moggytwo
  • Cool 1

[WOOK6]
9 posts
6,916 battles

Yeah this is my main effort also but recently my attack planes and normal bombers don;t even make it to the target

[LBAS]
1,776 posts
3,485 battles
3 hours ago, BoBaLoT said:

Yeah this is my main effort also but recently my attack planes and normal bombers don;t even make it to the target

Send replay, then we can analyze the situation. What moggzy say its true, rocket plane is the most fragile. Dive bomber can be use slingshot to avoid flak AA. But worry not, it just matter of time until you find how to do it.

I am also struggle with GZ at first, you are not alone

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,406 posts
26,328 battles

17 hours ago, BoBaLoT said:

GZ has plenty of speed to boom and zoom into AA without losing too much health, you are either running straight into flak or have bad target selection, there's literally no other reason that you would lose even 2-3 planes to a T6