You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

New graphics card?

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Well my Nvidia gforce 8600 finally decided to melt, it had a good long run and it surprisingly kept my PC going far longer than it was ever intended to keep a PC alive for so i can't complain, What are some suggestions on a good cheap replacement?

I have heard the MSI R9280 is a great card for its price, otherwise i was just going to settle for something cheap like the XFX R7 260 unless someone has a better suggestion?

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

Even tho 970 is a great card, I am not sure if OP is prepare to spend that much money on his graphics card.

So OP do you have a budget in mind?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I just recently bought & installed Inno GT 730 1GB GDDR5 on my desktop (after 3 months) for estimated US$64. 75 FPS on Medium graphics settings with off & low the following: Sea reflection, Sea rendering, shadow, clouds.

But it's up to OP on the budgeting.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Even tho 970 is a great card, I am not sure if OP is prepare to spend that much money on his graphics card.

So OP do you have a budget in mind?

Nah a 970 is around $500 AUD and i am looking to spend around half that, maybe if i didnt buy a ps4 last month... shouldnt have caved into the console i wanted gta 5 so bad though... now its released on PC and i cant afford a graphics card that can run it :P
Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

Nah a 970 is around $500 AUD and i am looking to spend around half that, maybe if i didnt buy a ps4 last month... shouldnt have caved into the console i wanted gta 5 so bad though... now its released on PC and i cant afford a graphics card that can run it :P

At your price range I would personally recommend Nvidia GTX 960 over AMD R9 280. These two cards are on the same tier with similar performance but 960 uses significantly less power to get the job done.

Please do note that performance can vary from game to game and since WoWS is still in CBT I am not sure if anyone has run a benchmark yet to compare GPU performances, I doubt it tho as benchmarks are usually done much closer to official release.

Choose your own manufacturer, everyone has their own preferences but I usually go with Asus/Gigabyte/MSI.

P.S. I couldn't believe you spent so much money on PS4 for GTA V when it was just released on PC a few days ago...if you saved that money you could have bought a beastly GPU...

Edited by ARASHI985

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

Here's where I tend to go for quick price checks in AU:

http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

looks like a 750 TI will set you back around $200, or the R9 280 for around $250

Interesting, from where I live the price difference between 960 and 280 is negligible unless you are buying a deluxe version or something along that line.

If the price difference is as substantial as that link shows then OP prolly need to consider whether that difference could be justified by the savings of your power bill.

Also a friendly reminder, check whether your power supply is sufficient for your new card. I tried to lookup the power requirement of your 8600 on Nvidia's website but it doesn't show, prolly due to the fact that it is such an old card =.=

So yea a reliable PSU of 450W should be fine provided that you don't overclock or unless you have a lot of random stuff plugged into your system.

Edited by ARASHI985

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

On topic: I'm using a GTX 750 and I get 60 FPS(vsync on) with ultra high settings.

GTX 750 Ti OC, I turned VSync off Saito with everything set to the highest settings, rounds around 71FPS for most maps. I would suggest you turn VSync off and see if you get more FPS from it

Alpha Tester
93 posts
3 battles

Wait for the R9 300 series first, that one should bring the price of the R9 200 series down by a lot.

Power consumption shouldn't be your concern, unless you were so cheap that you could not afford some few extra $ a month for a better performance card (The R9 280)

Do note that NVIDIA have some exclusive graphic option for many games that AMD don't have (Hair tessellation for eg), but most of the time those option were so heavy that you should not use it instead.

The only problem AMD has, is that their driver suck.

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

On topic: I'm using a GTX 750 and I get 60 FPS(vsync on) with ultra high settings.

GTX 750 Ti OC, I turned VSync off Saito with everything set to the highest settings, rounds around 71FPS for most maps. I would suggest you turn VSync off and see if you get more FPS from it

If 750 is capable of max setting and OP is only using the new card for WoWS then yea might as well save some money.

Wait for the R9 300 series first, that one should bring the price of the R9 200 series down by a lot.

Power consumption shouldn't be your concern, unless you were so cheap that you could not afford some few extra $ a month for a better performance card (The R9 280)

Do note that NVIDIA have some exclusive graphic option for many games that AMD don't have (Hair tessellation for eg), but most of the time those option were so heavy that you should not use it instead.

The only problem AMD has, is that their driver suck.

Power consumption is not just about money. It's actually more about energy efficiency and environmental friendliness.

I would also suggest that you post some benchmarks before making bold claims like the R9 280 being a better performance card (I presume you are comparing it to 960) which is outright untrue.

Edited by ARASHI985