You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Blairlair

Carrier Air Group Altitude Adjustable

5 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
284 battles

Hi all!

(I think this is the right section for this)

Just a quick idea I'm going to pop out there...

Would it be possible to adjust the altitude of Carrier Air Groups (CAG) in a World of Warships battle?

Why?

Now before you all say that carrier torpedo bombers are already a little op (just left a game where I practically one shot a Fuso in the first 4 min of a game) here me out. Not everyone on the enemy team is usually in a battleship, sometimes we don't want to engage a target (looking at destroyers for example) as they are rather hard to hit and can be dealt with in other ways. If we didn't want to engage something, couldn't we just fly higher to try and avoid AA fire?

If any of you have ever played Sid Mier's Ace Patrol, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of (without the turn based part). where we can adjust the altitude of out planes to gain specific advantages in combat. For example, a plane that is higher than another has a energy advantage, thus is more likely to win the engagement. Furthermore the higher you are, the less likely you are to be hit by AA. Without wishing to be abrupt, the  torpedo bombers on the Saipan class have a speed of around 100 knots, I'm pretty sure the TBD devastator would be going faster than that on an attack run...

How it could work:

CAG's would take off in the regular fashion, then after would there would be a hotkey or a command with assigns you planes to a specific altitude.(say, for simplicity, a Low, Medium, High alt setting) It may take some time for the plane to climb to that altitude, which could be simulated by a cool-down or something. Torpedo bombers and Dive bombers would still be required to get to Low alt for their attack runs, but could fly at high alt on their journey. Perhaps some planes (I.e. torpedo) would have a lower max altitude than fighter, exposing them to attack.

A torpedo bomber coming out of a dive would have a greater chance of not being hit by an ships AA for instance. By chance in thinking of a percentage based system.

I'm not saying this would be a single edged sword. Make AA more effective against low alt planes for example and make it take a while for bombers to climb altitude, giving the team more time to prepare for an attack. Perhaps the higher you are the more easily your planes get spotted.

Anyway, that's my say. Could this work or is it overcomplicating things too much?

Edited by Blairlair

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Currently play CV, so here the something i can say:

Low alt only be used by Torpedo bomber (for launching torps)

Medium alt only be used by Fighter and 

High Alt only be used by Dive bomber (for diving)

Currently they don't use any of these you mention above

so the planes go directly to these altitude for easier Control at attacking (So you wont have your bomber to go to different altitude before engaging)

and seems Different altitude currently don't give any kind of immune to AAW but speed for GET THE HELL out from AA area and survivalbility

The other game have this mechanism is navy field (but we won't talk about it now)

Edit : The higher tier the more your bomber to be likely to get shot down

Edit 2 : and hey, I'm talking about current condition!

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
2 posts
284 battles

^ That could work!

Maybe you could switch from an automated mode (which I think is what your suggesting) to manual if your feeling adventurous, say you could accidentally release torpedo bombers torpedos at any alt. other than low level then tough luck, they don't work.

Maybe give fighters a WEP (war emergency power) thing if they need to get to another place quickly.

Anyway, I'm waffling on what could be, games great as it is!

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

At tier X there are too many things on a CV players screen to actually focus on the attitudes of a single squadron of bombers/fighters, this idea is totally bad.