Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

DPM is overrated

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

635
[BLESS]
Member
1,186 posts
10,653 battles

A lot of ship discussion, especially comparisons of gunship DDs, focusses on DPM. I think this unfairly makes some DDs look worse than they are.

DPM, damage per minute, is simply the number of guns x rate of fire x maximum damage per shell.

Even on a basic level, there are other important consideration: penetration and fire chance for example. More subtlely, range and turret firing arcs are significant factors, as are the velocity, accuracy, and travel time of the shells. Finally, there tangential stuff like whether the rest of the ship's traits such as concealment, speed, and nimbleness define the optimum engatement range, and whether the gun characteristics are well suited to this distance or not.

All this to say: Blykawica continues to get a seriously bad rep. and it is totally undeserved. I've said it elsewhere but to repeat here: American smoke, French speed, Russian guns (almost). That's some serious potential to work with. Downside are poor concealment and mediocre torps, sub-par AA, and (even after the buffs) modest firing arcs. So yes, it is a well-balanced DD but I can't see why it would be considered an unusually difficult DD to play and do well in.

Well, maybe I can. It is a hybrid DD, neither a slealthy torpboat nor a close in gunboat and, unlike Russian ships not really a solo flanker either. So some players might take a while to find her role. Blys is a mid-range opportunist and as such requires fairly good understanding of the game dynamics in order to know where you need to be at any given point in time. But a bad DD she is most definitely not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
338 posts
6,754 battles

I agree, most of the time DPM is very overrated. It only is a factor if you're shooting at literally a stationary target. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,025
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,406 posts
26,328 battles
40 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

A lot of ship discussion, especially comparisons of gunship DDs, focusses on DPM. I think this unfairly makes some DDs look worse than they are.

DPM, damage per minute, is simply the number of guns x rate of fire x maximum damage per shell.

Even on a basic level, there are other important consideration: penetration and fire chance for example. More subtlely, range and turret firing arcs are significant factors, as are the velocity, accuracy, and travel time of the shells. Finally, there tangential stuff like whether the rest of the ship's traits such as concealment, speed, and nimbleness define the optimum engatement range, and whether the gun characteristics are well suited to this distance or not.

All this to say: Blykawica continues to get a seriously bad rep. and it is totally undeserved. I've said it elsewhere but to repeat here: American smoke, French speed, Russian guns (almost). That's some serious potential to work with. Downside are poor concealment and mediocre torps, sub-par AA, and (even after the buffs) modest firing arcs. So yes, it is a well-balanced DD but I can't see why it would be considered an unusually difficult DD to play and do well in.

Well, maybe I can. It is a hybrid DD, neither a slealthy torpboat nor a close in gunboat and, unlike Russian ships not really a solo flanker either. So some players might take a while to find her role. Blys is a mid-range opportunist and as such requires fairly good understanding of the game dynamics in order to know where you need to be at any given point in time. But a bad DD she is most definitely not.

blys is a good DD, she was one of the best back in the days that invisifire was a thing so that's why her rep suffers a bit, the role she excelled at got replaced and the other roles that she can play are already replaced with far more specialized ships. so she isnt "bad" per se, just in a weird middle groud where she's pretty mediocre at every role that a DD might do when other options are available 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175
[FORCE]
Member
2,297 posts
12,085 battles

Unfortunately the game somehow makes it the otherwise. Ships with low DPM (or rather well-balanced) tend to have less value than the obviously broken ones. Blys feels like a mix of Mahan (floaty shell arc), and Aigle (8 km torps). But Mahan got reload buff while Aigle has high alpha torp damage which got range buff. Fun ship for Co-Op/non-competitive modes, but too challenging for the serious modes. Any other T7 DDs (except Leningrad & Z-39 because I never have them) are better imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
878
[LBAS]
Member
1,776 posts
3,485 battles

DPM is obsolete after reload booster introduced to the game.

 

Mogador and Kleber is obviously the one of the least DPM ship, yet its murder another DD when spotted

Republique, the T10 crap DPM have capabilities of doing higher damage than any BB before Brits BB HE exist.

 

Why the heck T9 Richeliue is so popular ?

 

 

The best factor to determine the best ship is :

1. Burst Damage

2. Burn Damage

3. Speed

4. Consummable

5. Ship RNG factor

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
338 posts
6,754 battles
1 hour ago, Skarhabek said:

DPM is obsolete after reload booster introduced to the game.

 

Mogador and Kleber is obviously the one of the least DPM ship, yet its murder another DD when spotted

Republique, the T10 crap DPM have capabilities of doing higher damage than any BB before Brits BB HE exist.

 

Why the heck T9 Richeliue is so popular ?

 

 

The best factor to determine the best ship is :

1. Burst Damage

2. Burn Damage

3. Speed

4. Consummable

5. Ship RNG factor

Burst damage can be made worthless if you bait it. Way too many times I've baited Mogadors and Klebers in my Shima into using their MBRB, and they'll then just look like clowns after it's on cooldown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
878
[LBAS]
Member
1,776 posts
3,485 battles
3 hours ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

Burst damage can be made worthless if you bait it. Way too many times I've baited Mogadors and Klebers in my Shima into using their MBRB, and they'll then just look like clowns after it's on cooldown.

Everything is useless if you bait it. Even the Smolensk would dead in Citadel if its get ambushed inside smoke

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,002
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,302 posts
11,001 battles
11 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

Blys feels like a mix of Mahan (floaty shell arc)

Blys doesn't have floaty shell arcs, her arcs are great.  Her 120's have better arcs than all other T7 DD guns apart from the Russian 130's.

 

14 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

But a bad DD she is most definitely not.

You're right, she's definitely not a bad DD.  She's average to good, so pretty balanced now after the latest buff.  Her main problem is just how great she used to be is always compared to how "okay I guess" she is now.  It's been over two years since the OWSF removal and the neutering of Blyskawica, and I am still not over it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[SMOKE]
Member
1,905 posts
15,910 battles

I wager its not if its a valid DD or not - its if or not other DD can be play to give a better game and frequently the answer is yes especially when you consider the fact that while T7 can be matched against T5 it can also be a T9 so much so that a good DD that do everything ok and some decent is not in many cases decent enough where other DD with obvious good and obvious faults can be play to maximise the former and minimize the latter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684
[SALT]
Member
2,028 posts
10,542 battles

Blys was always mediocre at best.

Stealth Firing, old T7 Favorable matchmaking and fairly Cheap Premium to bought is the one that elevated Her to "great". 

 

Her raw stats is always kinda meh, and require heavy investment of AFT, BFT, EM and CE. for max potential. this also the era where Playerbase still Green and dont have access to high skilled comander or upgrades. so her effectiveness is result of indirect condition rather than her innate stats.

unlike T9, T7 not littered with Godlike DD though. so.....She still good and one of the best for her tier.

 

 

but T7 nowdays............................. yikes

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×