Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

Nurnberg isn't as good as I thought?

17 comments in this topic

[-ISO-]
1,063 posts
6,286 battles

I recently buy the tier 6 German cruiser Nurnberg. First impression wasn't quite good. I thought her guns are as good if not better than her predecessor. But no, I struggle citadelling cruisers at any range and angle. Everytime I use AP shells,  it mostly pen, overpen, shatter, and bounce but no citadel. Rarely do I see her guns can penetrate the citadel of a cruiser. Her HE shells are also weird. It can citadel a Kuma. But of course the damage is low and rare. This doesn't feel like Karlsruhe and Konigsberg where I could citadel everything I faced. I wonder if Yorck and any German cruisers above tier 5 have the same problem.

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles

The AP is always like that. The only way to citadel the low tier cruiser is by HE, or perfect broadside under 6 km. Nurnberg gets the 1/4 pen on HE, so yeah you don't need AP to citadel Kuma.

[-ISO-]
1,063 posts
6,286 battles
32 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

The AP is always like that. The only way to citadel the low tier cruiser is by HE, or perfect broadside under 6 km. Nurnberg gets the 1/4 pen on HE, so yeah you don't need AP to citadel Kuma.

So the AP is useless then.

[MRI]
3,684 posts
15,991 battles
28 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

So the AP is useless then. 

Well it is light cruiser AP, so expecting it too citadel anything apart from broadsiding cruisers at close range is asking for a bit too much.

[-ISO-]
1,063 posts
6,286 battles
24 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Well it is light cruiser AP, so expecting it too citadel anything apart from broadsiding cruisers at close range is asking for a bit too much.

I don't mean to expect this thing to citadel a BB. DUH. But what's bother me is her inconsistencies of AP shells to citadel even a perfectly broadside cruiser. Yes, fighting closely can increase that consistency. But who want to fight closely with Nurnberg? Her armor feels like a freaking butterfly wing.

[TLS]
4,370 posts
20,673 battles

To play wows effectively, you need encyclopedic knowledge about what shells penetrate what armour at what angle, where to shoot exactly etc2. It is like you need to be a bot.

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles
12 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

I don't mean to expect this thing to citadel a BB. DUH. But what's bother me is her inconsistencies of AP shells to citadel even a perfectly broadside cruiser. Yes, fighting closely can increase that consistency. But who want to fight closely with Nurnberg? Her armor feels like a freaking butterfly wing.

Well, that is the summary of the entire German line being powercreeped.

For cruisers, they get low alpha & fire chance but special 1/4 pen on HE shells, while they get high alpha but low krupp on AP shells.

Heck you get better choice on IJN (better HE) or USN (better AP).

Edit:

Even Hindenburg's AP is still situational. You would spend most of the time with HE because finding perfect broadside at close range is more mythical than Soviet BBs... oh wait.

Edited by Sir_Feather

[-ISO-]
1,063 posts
6,286 battles
17 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

For cruisers, they get low alpha & fire chance but special 1/4 pen on HE shells, while they get high alpha but low krupp on AP shells.

But at least their BBs are quite decent now. I enjoy Bayern so much more than before the buff. 

[SALT]
2,092 posts
10,571 battles

German AP ? Consistent ? 

24c22d1008.png

consistently bad you mean ?

Edited by humusz

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles

Ah, Nurnberg...

The last good cruiser before it went downhill for me. High DPM with quirky HE that melts BBs, situational AP that is devastating when used correctly, and weird arrangement suited for kiting.

Talking about her signature German AP, it indeed boast higher damage, but ricochet easily. I used it when Omahas started to show their broadside, other than that i always use HE for everything and just kite. Sadly Yorck and Hipper lack the RoF i loved in the Nurnberg.

Edited by Earl_of_Arland

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles

In short, Nurnberg is more or less the ultimate T6 HE-spammer.

+ HE shells can penetrate up to 38mm (more than enough even against T8 ships without IFHE).

+ Very long gun range, 2nd only to Budyonny.

+ Very fast gun reload time, 2nd only to La Galissonniere with MBRB activated.

+ Decent hydro range.

- Non-existent armor/citadel protection (all T6 cruisers are like that though).

- Typical German AA, too mediocre for self-defense.

- Less alpha damage on HE, and virtually useless AP.

- Clumsy turret positions, only good when kiting.

• Cool 1

[-ISO-]
1,063 posts
6,286 battles
45 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Sadly Yorck and Hipper lack the RoF 

Are they good compared to other T7 cruisers?

[SMOKE]
2,218 posts
17,119 battles

I kind of like Nurnberg, while it does not quite live up to as being German AP ; its quite decent all around

[KAMI]
491 posts
6,189 battles
5 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Yorck is a heavy cruiser and gets much better ballistics compared to nurnberg.

The HE is still German but your HE dpm is actually higher than Hipper's. Its a ship where you can use the AP properly but still retain a decent HE.

It has 25mm plating, which still get overmatched by same tier BBs, but it lets you bully lower tier BBs. Although Myoko also gets it, with a 32mm deck too.

Yorck probably has the best chance of getting to use torps because it can bully lower tiers while the typical engagement ranges still aren't too high.

[AN-DO]
347 posts
7,036 battles

Rest assured, Hipper can pen most cruisers t6 to t10 at mid or even long range with perfect broadside. Probably Yorck also.

[151ST]
3,004 posts
11,069 battles
8 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Yorck and Hipper aren't trash, they're just mediocre... They suffer from the KM anemic HE alpha and don't really have the RoF to make up for it...

Having said all that, there are quite a few mediocre T7-T8 cruisers so it's not all bad news...

I say that but I only really found Hipper to be frustrating and even then for some reason preferred her over the Roon...

The plus side of Yorck through to Hindy though is the fact that they pen 50mm armour with their HE, the irony of which is that even though they've been power crept a little, they still do better than most vsing the abomination that is SN BBs... 

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles

The KM cruiser line switches dramatically after Nurnberg, from light cruiser to heavy.

Nurnberg is all about HE: long range, high arcs, and high rate of fire. Your job is to burn down BBs from out of sight, or at least so far away you can dodge incoming shells. I found her an enjoyable ship, though perhaps rather limited in scope. I'm not sure I've ever fired the torpedoes in anger. If you do happen to end up in late game shenanigans, or low tier shoot-em-ups, the AP does not dissapoint at close range.

From Yorck on, you are in a mini-battleship. You play a similar role as the Myoko or Atago, but tend to sit out in the open more often and rely much less on your torps. Your armor permits you to hold an open water position while firing that Myoko for example could not, letting you employ your main strength - fast, flat shell ballistics - to maximum effect, killing off DDs and cruisers from long range as opportunity arises.

I prefer Aoba over Nurnberg, and Myoko over Yorck, but all four are good. I just find the IJN ships have a more flexible playstyle.

Sign in to follow this