You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reinhard_of_Avercland

A Random Thread with No Context

44 comments in this topic

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles

WG is obviously teasing me right now. First they offer me Devonshire as the first doubloon bundle. But now they are offering free rental of this very ship.

shot-20_01.18_14_32.31-0059.thumb.jpg.2061f0cca5d74d32bc92a0886c112c09.jpg

At first I wanted her so much for little to no reasons. But after putting her into the real crash test a.k.a. random, I'm not really sure if I still want her.

An enemy KGV could set multiple fires on me in a salvo but I struggled to set one (it might be RNG that screwed me up). The non-existent catapult also threw me off guard because it was a game with CV, and the worse thing was her AA seemed much weaker than KGV's. Hydro is nice although only for defensive purpose. And everything else mirrors KGV's apart from the slower main gun reload.

Maybe I should start complaining about Graf Zeppelin, or CV in particular because someone actually got it permanently

• Funny 1

4,662 posts
8,750 battles

I just want to say that 'Dude of Yokes' is a name I created and you should have asked me before using it.

Other than that, good day to you. Dude of Yokes is severely balanced compare to KGV which has both faster reload and Spotter. 

• Funny 2

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

I just want to say that 'Dude of Yokes' is a name I created and you should have asked me before using it.

Other than that, good day to you. Dude of Yokes is severely balanced compare to KGV which has both faster reload and Spotter. 

You forgot to make a patent on that name, so it is still within the public domain:Smile_trollface:

Yup this Derp of Yolk feels more like Monarch rather than KGV. But this ship was obtainable for free, so it's fair enough.

*flashback from 2018 intensifies*

[MRI]
3,502 posts
15,129 battles

It is a KGV that trades dps and one health charge for Hydro and better AA.

Not a very worthy trade if you ask me.

35 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Maybe I should start complaining about Graf Zeppelin, or CV in particular because someone actually got it permanently

Lol :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Thyaliad
WG buffed the Repair Party charges
  • Cool 1

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
Just now, Thyaliad said:

It is a KGV that trades dps and one health charge for a Hydro and better AA.

I really did not notice the one health charge. But the AA feels mediocre because it struggled to shoot down Furious' planes (maybe the AA rework actually nerfed it?).

4,662 posts
8,750 battles

Dude of Yokes is a funnier name than whatever "Derp of Yolk" is :Smile_trollface:

My impression as someone who has played over 150 battles with her:

+ AA is stronk;

+ Hydro is only useful when going loli hunting (which, as me being a cruiser main, I do a lot when necessary);

21 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

And aircraft catapult, which gives KGV more range with Spotter. KGV is better where it counts in this damage-centric game.

WG could have given DoY normal AP or DAAF :fish_book:

Edited by Paladinum

[MRI]
3,502 posts
15,129 battles
26 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

I really did not notice the one health charge. But the AA feels mediocre because it struggled to shoot down Furious' planes (maybe the AA rework actually nerfed it?).

Actually I just checked and it has the same number of health charges now. WG must have changed it at some point, because on release it had one less repair party. Shows you I don't play the Duke of York much. :Smile_hiding:

The AA is better than KGV, the problem is the buff in AA is tied to the short and medium range auras. So you are not going to be shooting down planes before they drop. Doesn't help that the British AA mounts are extremely fragile and will die to any sort of HE spam.

12 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

WG could have given DoY normal AP or DAAF 

I am guessing they don't want it to overlap the Hood much.

Edited by Thyaliad

1,415 posts
5,951 battles
19 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Actually I just checked and it has the same number of health charges now. WG must have changed it at some point, because on release it had one less repair party. Shows you I don't play the Duke of York much. :Smile_hiding:

The AA is better than KGV, the problem is the buff in AA is tied to the short and medium range auras. So you are not going to be shooting down planes before they drop. Doesn't help that the British AA mounts are extremely fragile and will die to any sort of HE spam.

Duke of York was buffed with that missing charge of Repair Party when all British battleships above KGV, including DoY herself, recieved that universal citadel nerf.

All higher-tier British battleships seem to suffer the same problem: mediocre 133-mm long range arua and fragile multiple AA mounts forming the mid-range defence.

For me, I have used Catapult Fighter for my KGV in all random battles as her AA suite is lacking, her range is sufficient for me and she is vulnerable to USN rockets and AP bombs.

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
16 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

WG could have given DoY normal AP or DAAF :fish_book:

Or WG could at least make Prince of Wales with DAAF instead of hydro. I mean seriously, the Denmark Strait quartet is still missing that one ship.

Although giving Prince of Wales the DAAF is quite ironic She got the honor of being the second capital ship to be sunk by aircraft attack (Repulse was the first). But the ship was pretty much doomed by misfortunes since the beginning.

1,415 posts
5,951 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Or WG could at least make Prince of Wales with DAAF instead of hydro. I mean seriously, the Denmark Strait quartet is still missing that one ship.

Although giving Prince of Wales the DAAF is quite ironic She got the honor of being the second capital ship to be sunk by aircraft attack (Repulse was the first). But the ship was pretty much doomed by misfortunes since the beginning.

I recall LittleWhiteMouse has written a proposal of introducing PoW as a unique T7 premium: recycle some of DoY's original concepts, give her DFAA and cruiser/large cruiser accuracy but deprive her of repair party.

Also the Battle off Malaya should be called the first incident that air power sink capital ships that are sailing in open sea and are on alert. The battleship were doomed when a Japanese torpedo hit bent one of her propeller shafts, which then wrecked many watertight bulkheads, flooded much of her engine compartment and deprived her of electricity power as the generators were flooded.

• Cool 1

4,662 posts
8,750 battles
34 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

4 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Or WG could at least make Prince of Wales with DAAF instead of hydro.

Just now, Project45_Opytny said:

I recall LittleWhiteMouse has written a proposal of introducing PoW as a unique T7 premium: recycle some of DoY's original concepts, give her DFAA and cruiser/large cruiser accuracy but deprive her of repair party.

Large cruiser accuracy can be a very strong gimmick (for a T7 BB with 10 guns) but no RP? Can be rough. Maybe just give her the 'weaker' RP on IJN or KM BBs instead?

And who forbids WG making a RN BB with good secondary? *hint hint* *nudge nudge* (although that can be a stupid suggestion as she has only 4 DP turrets broadside)

Also, PoW = 'Prisoner of War' :Smile_trollface:  

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

And who forbids WG making a RN BB with good secondary? *hint hint* *nudge nudge* (although that can be a stupid suggestion as she has only 4 DP turrets broadside)

Give that gimmick to Rodney. Because WG clearly forgot to tune up the 6 twin 152 mm guns on Nelson.

3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Also, PoW = 'Prisoner of War' :Smile_trollface:  

I kinda expected that the moment I mentioned the ship. Try harder:Smile_trollface:

4,662 posts
8,750 battles
15 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Give that gimmick to Rodney. Because WG clearly forgot to tune up the 6 twin 152 mm guns on Nelson.

*Rodnol

*Nelsol

[MRI]
3,502 posts
15,129 battles
1 minute ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. It would have been a very unique and quirky ship, though not necessarily competitive. But no doubt the playerbase would complain about the lack the of repair party and the idea would be canned, just like what happened with the original Duke of York concept.

Here is a video of the original Duke of York for funsies:

15 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Over the years of playing WoWs, I have realised that WG doesn't really care about history when it comes to designing Premiums (or at least not any more). Their gimmicks seem almost arbitrary and unrelated to anything historical. Just some examples, I am sure there are more:

Yuudachi - Known for her actions and sinking in the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, a battle which was fought at extremely close ranges. In WoWs, gets long range 15km torps because ???.

Yukikaze - Known for seeing the war from start to finish and surviving many disastrous battles. Instead of getting a heal or something to emphasise her survivability, she gets 8km F3 torps because ???.

Massachusetts - Scores one of the longer ranged hits in history (~22km against Jean Bart). In game has worse main gun accuracy and better Secondary guns that her USN counterparts because ???.

Hood - Gets DFAA because lol AA rocket launchers (which were never used in combat irl)

Kaga - Known for being one of the Kidou Butai CVs that attacked Pearl Harbour and one of the four that sunk at Midway. In WoWs gets planes that were only developed or deployed after her sinking.

And don't forget WG almost gave Ark Royal Albacores instead of Swordfishes. That only changed because the playerbase protested.

• Cool 3

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
44 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Over the years of playing WoWs, I have realised that WG doesn't really care about history when it comes to designing Premiums (or at least not any more). Their gimmicks seem almost arbitrary and unrelated to anything historical.

Yup they also gave Warspite the much shorter gun range. She got the record of scoring the longest ship-to-ship hit in history (against Giulio Cesare) at 24 km (citation needed because Scharnhorst also set a similar record against Glorious).

On the other hand, WG keep adding this & that premiums instead of the more interesting ones like:

Prince of Wales - as I mentioned previously.

Renown/Repulse/Rodney - because why the hell not?

Dido/Sirius - the French & the Russians got their versions of Atlanta, but why the Brits get none? Mino does no longer count because Smolensk exists, WeeGee! sips tea angrily

San Diego - the 2nd most decorated ship of the US Navy.

One of the other 3 Kongou-class BC - even only for the sake of giving more love for lower tiers (ARP versions does not count).

Akagi - I believe the weeb community has been waiting for this one ship, partly because KC.

IJN CLs other than Tenryu, Kuma, Yubari, Yahagi, and Mogami 155 - WG might have forgotten their existences.

There are a lot more, but the list would be very long.

Edited by Sir_Feather

4,662 posts
8,750 battles
23 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

More like the Dud of York.

Duck of YoreTM

48 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

On the other hand, WG keep adding this & that premiums instead of the more interesting ones like:

All about the ruble, fam :Smile_trollface:

(this game needs more heavy cruisers, as in, the cruisers that have 8-inch guns as primary armament)

Edited by Paladinum

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

(this game needs more heavy cruisers, as in, the cruisers that have 8-inch guns as primary armament)

And prioritize the real ones first *cough* stop adding fictional Gopnik heavy cruisers for a while.

Start with Blücher:Smile_trollface:

4,662 posts
8,750 battles
Just now, Sir_Feather said:

Start with Blücher:Smile_trollface:

With 50% torpedo damage reduction and German 10,5 km torps / Swedish 13,5 km torps as options :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[LBAS]
1,776 posts
3,485 battles
3 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Lol :Smile_hiding:

What buffed repair party charge? On Montana or any new that  i don't know?

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
1 hour ago, Skarhabek said:

Duke of York had 1 less heal than KGV. But the citadel nerf on British BBs also buffed Duke of York by adding 1 more.

[MRI]
3,502 posts
15,129 battles
2 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

IJN CLs other than Tenryu, Kuma, Yubari, Yahagi, and Mogami 155 - WG might have forgotten their existences.

Well to be fair to WG there are not many IJN CL designs left to implement.

There are still the Nagara and Sendai class remaining but those are basically improved Kumas anyway so they will probably be T5. Unless WG does a Kitakami and give them high tier torps or something.

There is Oh! Yodo, but she with only 6 155mm guns she will probably be a Tier 6.

Anything beyond that would have to be paper.

1 hour ago, Skarhabek said:

It was for the Duke of York. On release she only got 2 Repair Party charges; it was later buffed to the standard 3 as @Project45_Opytny said.

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
21 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Well to be fair to WG there are not many IJN CL designs left to implement.

There are still the Nagara and Sendai class remaining but those are basically improved Kumas anyway so they will probably be T5. Unless WG does a Kitakami and give them high tier torps or something.

There is Oh! Yodo, but she with only 6 155mm guns she will probably be a Tier 6.

Anything beyond that would have to be paper.

Exactly. But WG has zero excuse to deny the possibility of the paper IJN CLs. They made Yoshino possible which is basically Azuma with the fictional torpedo additions, and of course Zao which WG claims to be the most obscure Japanese project in the wiki (that implies there might be more paper designs).

4,662 posts
8,750 battles
19 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Exactly. But WG has zero excuse to deny the possibility of the paper IJN CLs. They made Yoshino possible which is basically Azuma with the fictional torpedo additions, and of course Zao which WG claims to be the most obscure Japanese project in the wiki (that implies there might be more paper designs).

Actually, the one without torps is more fictitious. An IJN 'cruiser' without torps is one of the most blasphemous things in this game :Smile_izmena:

49 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Also no torps. Agano-class is okay at T5, so there will be a lot gimmicks needed to make Ooyodo T6. Because historically the class is pretty weak. She would need at least high tier Hydro + DAAF just to justify being T6. Sorry but I don't and can't see Ooyodo being in the line.

I have no doubt there will be an IJN CL line in the future, but the questions are: what will be the ships? Will the T9 and 10 be just improved Mogami with the same turret layout? Will the T9 and 10 have DP 155? What will set them apart from US CL line?

The thread is derailed very smoothly and naturally so I have to ask: what will happen to Mogami if IJN CL line is added into the game? Will she be split into 2, 1 with 155 and 1 with 203?

Edited by Paladinum

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles
56 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

I have no doubt there will be an IJN CL line in the future, but the questions are: what will be the ships? Will the T9 and 10 be just improved Mogami with the same turret layout? Will the T9 and 10 have DP 155? What will set them apart from US CL line?

I think the gimmick for high tier IJN CL would be the CL version of the currently existing line. Medium-ranged but flat trajectory HE spam coupled with long-ranged torps (at least 12 km).

The thread is derailed very smoothly and naturally

Started as Dood of Yolk, then turns to PoW, then to Blücher, then to mild rant of lacking real premium ships which then to IJN CL (I'm surprised no one talks about Akagi yet). Ignore the fact that I'm the one who derails this thread:Smile_trollface:

what will happen to Mogami if IJN CL line is added into the game? Will she be split into 2, 1 with 155 and 1 with 203?

I said it on another thread, rename the Mogami 203 to be Maya:Smile_trollface:

Keep the 203 as Mogami, but use another name for the 155. Suzuya, or Mikuma, or Choukai Kumano.

Edited by Sir_Feather