Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

How to fix the Research Bureau

54 comments in this topic

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles

Just started a new YouTube series...

First Episode is on Research Bureau...

WARNING: Does contain harsh language!

• Cool 1

5,702 posts
9,513 battles

> How to un-eff RB

Literally the first step:

NOT EFFING SELLING SHIPS PLAYERS ALREADY OWN

Literally the BIGGEST reason why players do not even think of regrinding.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 5

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles
14 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

> How to un-eff RB

Literally the first step:

NOT EFFING SELLING SHIPS PLAYERS ALREADY OWN 

Literally the BIGGEST reason why players do not even think of regrinding. 

Seriously this.

[CLAY]
3,232 posts
14,205 battles

Yeah, I agree with @Paladinum, my No. 1 reason why I will not use the RB is because I don't want to give up my ships and have to grind them again.

If WG wants me to play more mid tier ships, make campaigns which require a certain amount of experience etc... on certain tiers, and offer decent rewards for those campaigns.

If they just want me to spend my FXP, just sell research points for FXP.

If they don't want me to have so many ships in port... why wouldn't they? Does it really take room on their servers? Why keep giving me so many port slots, who have special rewards for ship collections? Why have events such as snowflakes which benefit from having so many ships?

Other than above, @S4pp3R has a lot of good ideas for the RB if WG want to keep the system the same.

I still wouldn't use it, but otherwise, sounds good. 

Good video btw, I look forward to seeing others in the series.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 3

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles

That's a fair point, however I honestly think that ship has sailed so to speak...

I understand why they wanted people to regrind and I don't mind it as an idea personally, but I'm not the average player...

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles
5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Yeah, I agree with @Paladinum, my No. 1 reason why I will not use the RB is because I don't want to give up my ships and have to grind them again.

If WG wants me to play more mid tier ships, make campaigns which require a certain amount of experience etc... on certain tiers, and offer decent rewards for those campaigns.

If they just want me to spend my FXP, just sell research points for FXP.

If they don't want me to have so many ships in port... why wouldn't they? Does it really take room on their servers? Why keep giving me so many port slots, who have special rewards for ship collections? Why have events such as snowflakes which benefit from having so many ships?

Other than above, @S4pp3R has a lot of good ideas for the RB if WG want to keep the system the same.

I still wouldn't use it, but otherwise, sounds good. 

Good video btw, I look forward to seeing others in the series.

Yep, that's how I approached it...

Where the RB is now, how it can go moving forward...

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or offer outrageous options, just commonsense solutions...

Thanks man, after uploading it I've now noticed a few rough cuts, I'm trying to pump a video out in an afternoon because if I don't they just collect dust but yeah pretty happy with it.

What do folks think about the cosmetics though, I even gave you a dodgy photoshopped version for reference 😉

Edited by S4pp3R

[LBAS]
2,064 posts
3,738 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Just started a new YouTube series...

First Episode is on Research Bureau...

WARNING: Does contain harsh language!

wow is that your OWN SOUND?

YESSAAH FREE SPE*CH!!! FACK Regrin* Bullshit

i am sensoring the word to avoid banned thank you

*Term and condition Apply

i dont thing Regrind Bullshit is fine until >> move legendary mod to RB

getting new ship from RB is not harmfull, but moving T10 upgrade that just .....

**note

i am sorry for harsh word 

this probably the last until maybe next month. just frustated they nerfed french DD

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,018 posts
13,735 battles
22 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

This is exactly my main reason to never touch the unappealing feature. I only have 40 ships at this very moment, but I do have 36 vacant slots. I plan to buy most of the non premium T6 & 7 throughout this year to prepare myself for the next Xmas event.

29 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

What do folks think about the cosmetics though, I even gave you a dodgy photoshopped version for reference 😉

I wholly agree it should only be about cosmetics, no upgrades or any stat-changing stuffs. I might reconsider to use it if one of the camo suits my taste.

5,702 posts
9,513 battles

I've asked around, players don't even get full price of the ships back.

If some players genuinely want to just play the lines normally to grind xp:
They have to mount upgrades again.
They have to hang flags and signals again.
They have to retrain the captains.

All of those actions cost time. Retraining captains costs either credit, doubloon, captain xp, free xp or more time. Basically "pay up or waste more of your time".

Credits is better spent for signal flags in the Arsenal and premium consumables, rather than losing it every time you regrind a line.

Even if players will just use the FXP, there's still no reason to sell the ships players already own. There is no reason besides blatant GREED.
Besides, it is so GLARING that re-grinding will NEVER work for the "purpose" of "populate low/mid tiers" as XP requirement for grinding from T7 to T10 is THE HIGHEST.
Apparently WG don't even know their own game, or their departments are so detached from each other that decisions like these get implemented.

Unless they change it as I suggested, barely anyone will use the Rubbish Burnheap.

And now they want to lock Legendary Upgrades behind the Naval Trash Cove. EVEN MORE reasons to NOT use the Trash Cove.

Cosmetic rewards should be focused toward mid/low-tier ships. Maybe the camos aren't all "10% less service cost and 50% more XP", but "10% less service cost and 50% more captain XP" or "10% less service cost and 20% more credit earned" instead. This would help "populating low/mid tiers". However, the catch of "populating low/mid tiers" is seal clubbing.

There are a dozen of ways to get ships, and that's enough. Rubbish Burnheap should never get ships as rewards in the first place. Regrind lines to get ships then not regrind ever again?
You are soooooooooo counterintuitive, WG.

Just trying to make WG eat their own words here.

• Cool 2

[SALT]
2,124 posts
10,571 battles

They should bring back HARSH Old tier high Economy :Smile-_tongue:

That era, you bleeding money continusly playing T9-T10 ships. esp when you potatoed in it.

Many Folks Play low to Mid tier, to safely farm Credits. therefore Low to Mid tier were hefly popular and populated.

Nowdays, no one play low tier, "Early Access ships" also make it worse.

you can have 15 Surface Ship COMBINED in queue at low tier, and 37 CV in queue ready to sealclubs them all :Smile_trollface:

Low to mid tier were very depopulated nowdays. and with that many CV and broken 6 CV per game in that tier, The only safe ways to revisit that tier is to have Wings 🤣

Population is very Top Heavy nowdays, thats why NTC exist

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 1

[-CAT-]
3,417 posts
13,616 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

I've asked around, players don't even get full price of the ships back.

If some players genuinely want to just play the lines normally to grind xp:
They have to mount upgrades again.
They have to hang flags and signals again.
They have to retrain the captains.

All of those actions cost time. Retraining captains costs either credit, doubloon, captain xp, free xp or more time. Basically "pay up or waste more of your time".

Credits is better spent for signal flags in the Arsenal and premium consumables, rather than losing it every time you regrind a line.

Even if players will just use the FXP, there's still no reason to sell the ships players already own. There is no reason besides blatant GREED.
Besides, it is so GLARING that re-grinding will NEVER work for the "purpose" of "populate low/mid tiers" as XP requirement for grinding from T7 to T10 is THE HIGHEST.
Apparently WG don't even know their own game, or their departments are so detached from each other that decisions like these get implemented.

Unless they change it as I suggested, barely anyone will use the Rubbish Burnheap.

And now they want to lock Legendary Upgrades behind the Naval Trash Cove. EVEN MORE reasons to NOT use the Trash Cove.

Cosmetic rewards should be focused toward mid/low-tier ships. Maybe the camos aren't all "10% less service cost and 50% more XP", but "10% less service cost and 50% more captain XP" or "10% less service cost and 20% more credit earned" instead. This would help "populating low/mid tiers". However, the catch of "populating low/mid tiers" is seal clubbing.

There are a dozen of ways to get ships, and that's enough. Rubbish Burnheap should never get ships as rewards in the first place. Regrind lines to get ships then not regrind ever again?
You are soooooooooo counterintuitive, WG.

Just trying to make WG eat their own words here.

^ This.

The additional 2 insults here is that:

1. We will have to start from T1, and the research points starts at T6.
2. Since we will start to re-grind from T1, how will new players enjoy the game when veterans (no matter if they are unicrums or potatos) will definitely seal club the new players into quitting the game. :Smile_facepalm:

Leave T1 to T3 or T4 alone for the new players to get accustom to the game. If the game cannot assemble enough players for T1 to T3, then add co-op bots in either sides to complete the roster.

Also, I don't see WG streamers (Mr Conway and his team) playing mid tier game. How do they expect players to play low or mid tier when their own employees do not want to play low or mid tier.
It literally sends a bad sign or signal that low and mid tier sucks.

NTC / RB make players play low tier, HA!

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles

Yeah I didn't really cover the mid tier thing in that much detail, it's a bogus reason to start with, either that or WG are incapable of basic logic...

Well come to think of it, that IS very plausible if you look at the last 12 months...

I don't mind regrinding lines, but I kept all my ships and sometimes have excess credits to burn...

Now that they're screwing us with legendaries I've gotta go finish all those off to avoid wasting RP on them...

Yeah that's getting me to play mid tiers... ...

[SMOKE]
2,511 posts
18,035 battles

Just say NO ; plain and simple ... no Unique Upgrade should stay as they are , no Re-Grinding line ( if that leave in game ) should not require players to sell their ships they dearly earn ( only deactivate them pending grinding done )

the whole concept is faulted, it will not put players back into low and mid tier game ( especially no ; with so many 6CV game there ) and let's be honest most of us who had been around enough know if we go there all we are doing is just seal clubbing the new players ; which is certainly not healthy for the game and downright selfishness at play. I do not go into a game wanting just being an always agonized  pawn so others can have fun ; why should I do that to others. At least I personally feel sick doing that , so low to mid tier yes if its scenario, if its co-op but no not Random.

Also the whole concept should be re grinding would made the line perform better and unique so it should reward ( in stages, or per line grind ) the said special cosmetic say Camou, flags, unique one to the line or individual ships , so say the firs time you re grind and get that T5 again to Elite status you get rewarded a special flag that you can put on that T5 and that ship alone only which give it some nice little economy benefit and some small improvement on that ships' weak point ; and then when you yet again re grind it the 2nd time , same but this time rewarded to the T6 ships and that goes all the way to T9 ships , where T10 ships should be provided with reward of say double / triple whatever Research Points and  a unique cosmetic item now open on the Armory  RB tab unique to that T10 , the player got to choose whether he/she want to spend the points for that item or save it for say Colbert or Ohio ( and also should had other goodies )

I do agree with the OP's suggestion of displaying re grind as a form of show off cosmetic on the ship. its what players would want and would like

5,702 posts
9,513 battles
Just now, S4pp3R said:

I don't mind regrinding lines, but I kept all my ships and sometimes have excess credits to burn...

There can be better ways to burn credits.

Forcing players selling their ships for re-grinding lines is a horrible way to even 'burn' credits if you want to. It's 100% wasteful and 0% beneficial for the ones who burn the credits.

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles
6 hours ago, Paladinum said:

There can be better ways to burn credits.

Forcing players selling their ships for re-grinding lines is a horrible way to even 'burn' credits if you want to. It's 100% wasteful and 0% beneficial for the ones who burn the credits.

Except you know, for RP

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles
6 hours ago, Mechfori said:

Just say NO ; plain and simple ... no Unique Upgrade should stay as they are , no Re-Grinding line ( if that leave in game ) should not require players to sell their ships they dearly earn ( only deactivate them pending grinding done )

the whole concept is faulted, it will not put players back into low and mid tier game ( especially no ; with so many 6CV game there ) and let's be honest most of us who had been around enough know if we go there all we are doing is just seal clubbing the new players ; which is certainly not healthy for the game and downright selfishness at play. I do not go into a game wanting just being an always agonized  pawn so others can have fun ; why should I do that to others. At least I personally feel sick doing that , so low to mid tier yes if its scenario, if its co-op but no not Random.

Also the whole concept should be re grinding would made the line perform better and unique so it should reward ( in stages, or per line grind ) the said special cosmetic say Camou, flags, unique one to the line or individual ships , so say the firs time you re grind and get that T5 again to Elite status you get rewarded a special flag that you can put on that T5 and that ship alone only which give it some nice little economy benefit and some small improvement on that ships' weak point ; and then when you yet again re grind it the 2nd time , same but this time rewarded to the T6 ships and that goes all the way to T9 ships , where T10 ships should be provided with reward of say double / triple whatever Research Points and  a unique cosmetic item now open on the Armory  RB tab unique to that T10 , the player got to choose whether he/she want to spend the points for that item or save it for say Colbert or Ohio ( and also should had other goodies )

I do agree with the OP's suggestion of displaying re grind as a form of show off cosmetic on the ship. its what players would want and would like

Disagree with any improvement in combat performance...

The moment you add something like this, you make it mandatory to grind and basically it's NTC all over again...

Otherwise, sure.

The main reason I didn't go down the flag route was because with end game prestige items you want big shouty things that are easy to see.

I like more flag options, Jolly Roger was the first example of a cosmetic end-game...

Which fizzled into nothing... le sigh...

Edited by S4pp3R

[FISH]
166 posts
32,736 battles

Well credits are earned easily once you have progressed beyond a certain point, it becomes a non issue. I have regrinded lets say 10 lines. Well nto 10 lines more like Soviet DD lines x 4.. and 2 other separate lines just cuz i got bored playing those 2. -_-'. Before RB came out i was sitting with 3 mill fxp, threw them at the RB lol. So basically resources like Credits & FXP become abundant once you are past 15-16k games or so, and happen to have Missouri Musashi & kron.

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles
26 minutes ago, devil667 said:

Well credits are earned easily once you have progressed beyond a certain point, it becomes a non issue. I have regrinded lets say 10 lines. Well nto 10 lines more like Soviet DD lines x 4.. and 2 other separate lines just cuz i got bored playing those 2. -_-'. Before RB came out i was sitting with 3 mill fxp, threw them at the RB lol. So basically resources like Credits & FXP become abundant once you are past 15-16k games or so, and happen to have Missouri Musashi & kron.

So what do you think of my solutions then?

5,702 posts
9,513 battles
3 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Except you know, for RP

It already costs XP/FXP/time to do so yet ALSO forces players to not being able to use their ships for some time. Yeah, so many players hate that.

The NTC/RB is good ONLY in concept: regrinding ship lines for rewards. Literally everything about the execution is trash and rubbish.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,892 posts
8,769 battles

How many Colberts and Ohios do we see in game? Literally none at all which shows the popularity of the RB.  All it does is force players to burn FXP reserves.  Make the mid tiers worthwhile playing and you will get players back there.  Reduce CV numbers in the T4 band and bring in -/+1 MM.  More scenarios etc also help.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,232 posts
14,205 battles
5 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

How many Colberts and Ohios do we see in game? Literally none at all which shows the popularity of the RB.  All it does is force players to burn FXP reserves.  Make the mid tiers worthwhile playing and you will get players back there.  Reduce CV numbers in the T4 band and bring in -/+1 MM.  More scenarios etc also help.

I saw a Colbert yesterday, but yes, they are rare.

[151ST]
3,564 posts
11,963 battles
12 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

It already costs XP/FXP/time to do so yet ALSO forces players to not being able to use their ships for some time. Yeah, so many players hate that.

The NTC/RB is good ONLY in concept: regrinding ship lines for rewards. Literally everything about the execution is trash and rubbish.

I'm not disagreeing completely... But it's one of those things, if you have every ship line in the game that you care about already completed and you want something more... let's just call it something. Then while you may not love the idea of selling/regrinding a line, if the reward is good enough and you want it, you'll do it.

The main part of the execution that is rubbish is the rewards... Simply put, it's missing 'something'...

The content in RB is severely lacking... Basically in game resources and then super expensive ships... Well done WG on supporting this feature with content... Sigh!!!!!

I know heaps of people who have regrinds lines they love, some multiple times, just because they've finished most things they care about... Most of them haven't even bothered with Ohio and Colbert because they're not interested. Butttttttttt they don't have anything to spend RP on...

5,702 posts
9,513 battles
11 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Making players return to mid-tiers will just increase the number of seal clubbers, whether those players intend to do so, or not. Without some kinds of control (like skill-based MM), new players will just hate the game even before they get to T10.

10 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

I'm not disagreeing completely... But it's one of those things, if you have every ship line in the game that you care about already completed and you want something more... let's just call it something. Then while you may not love the idea of selling/regrinding a line, if the reward is good enough and you want it, you'll do it.

WG can totally add some simple content for you to burn credits in, and get some decent rewards out of it. Players simply don't want to part way with the ships they own, and yes, NOT for some stupid ships that should have been for STEEL.

Your logic is so weird, WG.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this