You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gesterbein

Manual AA skill

14 comments in this topic

[LGND]
569 posts
13,685 battles

im still confuse how this skill works yes it makes your AA damage instant 100% but, the cooling down also instant and damage also instant reduce after you went going cooling down....
so anyone know how to use this skill properly ?

Edited by Gesterbein

[TLS]
4,835 posts
21,253 battles

Yes. Don't use it. >_>

(The summary is it gives you an instant boost to flyswat but then it takes forever to retrieve said flyswatter and then reload it for next use. C/F with the regular smaller flyswatters that are easier to retrieve and reload)

• Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
295 posts
20,348 battles

^^ Exactly ^^ It a waste of 4 Commander skill points

Edited by Taipan17

[LGND]
569 posts
13,685 battles
6 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Yes. Don't use it. >_>

(The summary is it gives you an instant boost to flyswat but then it takes forever to retrieve said flyswatter and then reload it for next use. C/F with the regular smaller flyswatters that are easier to retrieve and reload)

ok, ill reset my indianapolis captain....
im lucky im not using manual in DM and worces lol

[TLS]
4,835 posts
21,253 battles

I never used MFAA because that 4 points was more useful elsewhere even pre CV Fiasco. Yes, it turns your AA boat into a monster but at the cost of being so specialized. My DM runs AFT/BFT/AA modwhatever. It gave me range and firepower while allowing me to play support roles. You have to remember you don't have a game with a CV all the time unless your boat is going to exclusively div with a CV. Having a skill which is useless in more than half the matches you play is a very expensive proposition.

[MRI]
3,782 posts
16,783 battles
43 minutes ago, Gesterbein said:

im still confuse how this skill works yes it makes your AA damage instant 100% but, the cooling down also instant and damage also instant reduce after you went going cooling down....
so anyone know how to use this skill properly ?

It basically doubles the instantaneous damage but removes the continuous AA component. So it is only really useful for ships with poor AA to begin with.

Even so 4 points is way, way too expensive. Imo it should be a 1-point skill or a 2-pointer at most.

[TLS]
4,835 posts
21,253 battles
5 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Even so 4 points is way, way too expensive. Imo it should be a 1-point skill or a 2-pointer at most.

^ This. wg does changes and doesn't think through the consequences carefully.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,007 posts
13,646 battles

I use this skill for Hill, and it seems working as intended to shoo away the T6 planes. Not as good as Kidd's level of AA, but good enough to make the CVs think twice. I also use this skill for Mino. It's fun to insta-delete Shoukaku's squadron:Smile_trollface:

Fun fact: this skill is actually barred behind the cross for Montana, just like CV & torp-related skills. Not sure why though.

[TWR]
1,325 posts
5,143 battles
23 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

I use this skill for Hill, and it seems working as intended to shoo away the T6 planes. Not as good as Kidd's level of AA, but good enough to make the CVs think twice. I also use this skill for Mino. It's fun to insta-delete Shoukaku's squadron:Smile_trollface:

Fun fact: this skill is actually barred behind the cross for Montana, just like CV & torp-related skills. Not sure why though.

Just in case you don't know, the cross just means not recommended,not that you can't use it.

Although is weird for it is crossed for the Montana though.

[KAMI]
530 posts
6,381 battles
On 1/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, Thyaliad said:

It basically doubles the instantaneous damage but removes the continuous AA component. So it is only really useful for ships with poor AA to begin with.

The most potential is only on DDs with bad AA since they do 5% dmg, but DDs have way more important things to spend 4pts on.

Also doesn't help that the instant dmg is based on their current hp, so its only meaningful against full squadrons, where you might chip enough planes to prevent a 3rd drop.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, Sir_Feather said:

BBs have the longer ramp up and cooldown on their continuous dmg, doubling it would make it even longer. They're not meant to rely on the instant dmg. The boosted AA from BBs should easily make up for the 3.5% instant dmg you can gain.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,473 posts
17,954 battles

Pre CV rework, Manual AA is specialized but very effective, once they got the CV reworked, they screw that up the first try and then re balance it, now its practically not worth it by any measure. right now unless your ship had no long range AA ( which is the main damage dealer against planes ) ; you would want to equip AA mod.1 on upgrade .. for most miidle of the road OK or weak AA ships that +2 explosion amount to 50% or even 60% , and for some 100% increase in long range AA and its always there all the time once equipped , take this as a ref, even the T10 USS CA Des Moines had only 5 explosion on long range so even for her , a strong AA ship, that +2 amount to +40% long range damage always .. go figure if you are in another ship that had only say 3 explosion by default, you are margin on being OK AA, but that AA mod.1 take you from marginally OK to be at least a fighting chance OK. Best of all it synergize with AFT for those ships with small caliber guns ( which is usually the one needing the AA )

Right now the Manual AA ( Cough, Cough  ... ah ) Massive AA fire only work if you had a specific ship that can take advantage of the increased continuous damage and the time effected ; few actually benefit and synergize 

Edited by Mechfori

[MRI]
3,782 posts
16,783 battles
On 1/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, Sir_Feather said:

I also use this skill for Mino. It's fun to insta-delete Shoukaku's squadron:Smile_trollface:

I doubt that the skill is helping you to insta-delete Shoukaku's planes. In fact you are gimping yourself by taking it in the Minotaur.

With that skill your instantaneous damage is still only 7% of a squadron's HP - that is still less than one plane's worth of HP. I am more likely to think that the combination of flak and the continuous AA that is what is doing the job. With AFT a Mino can almost 1-shot a Shoukaku's squadron if it enters a flak cloud.

[LBAS]
2,056 posts
3,738 battles
18 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I doubt that the skill is helping you to insta-delete Shoukaku's planes. In fact you are gimping yourself by taking it in the Minotaur.

With that skill your instantaneous damage is still only 7% of a squadron's HP - that is still less than one plane's worth of HP. I am more likely to think that the combination of flak and the continuous AA that is what is doing the job. With AFT a Mino can almost 1-shot a Shoukaku's squadron if it enters a flak cloud.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, Sir_Feather said:

you will shotdown more if your remove those skill, trust me i got it in Le Fantasque.... it didnt have any effect....

after that rage i made thread "i want AA ship" holy sheeeet better avoid CV at all cost