You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PT_92NZ

Wows in Ultrawide

24 comments in this topic

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles

Just had my new Ultrawide monitor delivered this morning. It is an Alienware AW3420DW with G-Sync (3440 x 1440). Picture is awesome.

Who else here uses an ultrawide? 

What graphics settings are you using and how many fps approx are you getting?

WOWS UW.jpg

Edited by PT_92NZ
Wrong picture
  • Cool 5

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles

Some in game screenshots, had to turn down some of the graphics settings to maintain 60-70fps.

WOWS UW2.jpg

WOWS UW3.jpg

• Cool 1

[SEARN]
1,077 posts
17,412 battles

Sweet monitor you got there. :Smile_great:  I though $600 reduced from $1000 for my 27" Dell was pricy, no way I would ever drop $2300 AUD on a monitor.

I was thinking of getting an ultrawide when I needed a new monitor 15 months ago but I ended up deciding not to. I have a 27" Dell S2716DG running WOWS at 2560 x 1440. PC specs are in my sig. With my GPU I have everything on highest settings. I have changed the games default 75 FPS cap to run at 144 FPS and it never drops below 144 FPS.

I could get more FPS, but seeing as I use Gsync with my monitor there would be no point going higher than the monitors max refresh rate of 144 hz

• Cool 1

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles
3 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Sweet monitor you got there. :Smile_great:  I though $600 reduced from $1000 for my 27" Dell was pricy, no way I would ever drop $2300 AUD on a monitor.

I was thinking of getting an ultrawide when I needed a new monitor 15 months ago but I ended up deciding not to. I have a 27" Dell S2716DG running WOWS at 2560 x 1440. PC specs are in my sig. With my GPU I have everything on highest settings. I have changed the games default 75 FPS cap to run at 144 FPS and it never drops below 144 FPS.

I could get more FPS, but seeing as I use Gsync with my monitor there would be no point going higher than the monitors max refresh rate of 144 hz

Thats an awesome rig you've got there, I have to say i'm impressed with the build quality of dell products lately.

My GTX 1060 is not up to it when I max out all the settings but will be getting an RTX 2070S or 2080S soon.

I got this one in the boxing day sale so it was 35% off the retail ($2549), ended up getting it for $1640 so i'm happy.

[SEARN]
1,077 posts
17,412 battles
24 minutes ago, PT_92NZ said:

Thats an awesome rig you've got there, I have to say i'm impressed with the build quality of dell products lately.

My GTX 1060 is not up to it when I max out all the settings but will be getting an RTX 2070S or 2080S soon. 

I got this one in the boxing day sale so it was 35% off the retail ($2549), ended up getting it for $1640 so i'm happy.

Thanks, I was sick of always having a low to middle range PC which I was constantly upgrading. I used to be a PC tech so it was about time I had something decent. When time come to build a new one I decided to do it right and build something I could be happy with for at least a few years. I upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB, which I gave to my brother. Yes a GTX 1060 will struggle with that resolution. GTX 1060 is fine for 1080p gaming, but not anything much higher.

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. The ultrawide monitors have improved a lot in the 15-18 months since I bought mine. Dell was the only choice for me. Excellent build quality and excellent warranty as well.

Just an FYI, if it was me and my money I would not even look at the RTX 2080 super. They are more expensive than base 2080 yet only offer a roughly 5% increase in performance. You can get 5% extra performance through slight overclocking and it is free. The RTX 2070 super though is ok performance for the price increase over base 2070. RTX series are already 15 months old and the newer stuff will not be too far away. Personally I would use the 1060 for the time being and upgrade to the latest and hopefully greatest when the new models come out.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
3,367 posts
13,471 battles

Sweet ultra wide.

There was a time that, when you wanted a good view of the game, you need triple screen with SLI or Crossfire. Now all you need is an ultrawide and 1 GPU.

My Build:
24 inch samsung  on 1920 x 1080

Max graphic settings (except reflections set at medium settings)
Running on 60 - 70 fps (Tested both on Windows and Linux)

GPU: GTX 1070 - Gigabyte
CPU:
Intel i5 6600K

Just an opinion, if you plan to play only on WoWs, 16xx series will suffice and save you a lot of cash for later use.
If you play other games than WoWs, and have triple A titles, then RTX 2070 or 2080 will be good for the next 3 to 5 years. 

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles
5 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Thanks, I was sick of always having a low to middle range PC which I was constantly upgrading. I used to be a PC tech so it was about time I had something decent. When time come to build a new one I decided to do it right and build something I could be happy with for at least a few years. I upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB, which I gave to my brother. Yes a GTX 1060 will struggle with that resolution. GTX 1060 is fine for 1080p gaming, but not anything much higher.

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. The ultrawide monitors have improved a lot in the 15-18 months since I bought mine. Dell was the only choice for me. Excellent build quality and excellent warranty as well.

Just an FYI, if it was me and my money I would not even look at the RTX 2080 super. They are more expensive than base 2080 yet only offer a roughly 5% increase in performance. You can get 5% extra performance through slight overclocking and it is free. The RTX 2070 super though is ok performance for the price increase over base 2070. RTX series are already 15 months old and the newer stuff will not be too far away. Personally I would use the 1060 for the time being and upgrade to the latest and hopefully greatest when the new models come out.

Fair call, always good to have a beasty rig to bring out the best in games 🙂.

Yep, Wows is just amazing with an ultrawide so won't be going away from it thats for sure.

I think I will wait, the new GPU's aren't too far off and i've got the fps steady at them moment with mid to high settings on the GTX 1060. I'll keep saving in the meantime and possibly buy a higher end GPU when they come out later this year.

15 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Sweet ultra wide.

There was a time that, when you wanted a good view of the game, you need triple screen with SLI or Crossfire. Now all you need is an ultrawide and 1 GPU.

My Build:
24 inch samsung  on 1920 x 1080

Max graphic settings (except reflections set at medium settings)
Running on 60 - 70 fps (Tested both on Windows and Linux)

GPU: GTX 1070 - Gigabyte
CPU:
Intel i5 6600K

Just an opinion, if you plan to play only on WoWs, 16xx series will suffice and save you a lot of cash for later use.
If you play other games than WoWs, and have triple A titles, then RTX 2070 or 2080 will be good for the next 3 to 5 years.

Yup, after the GTX 9 series, it was easier to work with a single GPU. 

Your build is pretty awesome, GTX 1070 is definitely fine for 1440p as I tested it with a laptop running a 1070 max-q 🙂

I will probably wait for the next round of Nvidia GPU's to release then decide which one i'll go for 🙂 

• Cool 1

[JUNK]
1,127 posts
22,895 battles

using x34a with gtx1070 for 2 years over

set to high setting on everything, runs nicely at 70fps

• Cool 1

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles
7 hours ago, ahwai82 said:

using x34a with gtx1070 for 2 years over

set to high setting on everything, runs nicely at 70fps

Awesome bud, yep, 1070 seems to be the middle ground here. I tested the 1070 max-q laptop version and that kept the fps around 70 🙂 

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

Cries, I still using 720p Laptop

• Cool 1

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles
20 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

49" Super Ultra wide, baby.

SUWOhio.thumb.jpg.80940c5ef10923fdbeae67f3c05ba56a.jpg

😮 Wow, that's amazing, what settings do you run the game at and what GPU?

38 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

WoWs VR when?

Hmmmm, imagine that, a whole different experience 🙂 

Maybe in the next few years?

[-CAT-]
3,367 posts
13,471 battles
2 hours ago, PT_92NZ said:

Hmmmm, imagine that, a whole different experience 🙂 

Maybe in the next few years?

The 2nd question in my mind is the controls.

Since we will be using the VR goggles: (Assuming we will still use mouse and keyboard and have memorized all the controls by heart)

Will the guns point to the same direction as your head turns? (For free look, right click mouse)
Or still use mouse to turn guns and the goggles are full free look mode. (Like some FPS VR games)

The idea and possibilities are endless. How will the VR and controls be implemented is the big question.
Will there be better control settings or a different controller built for WoWs in the future is unknown.

🙂

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[HIT]
153 posts
5,108 battles

I've been running a Predator X34P 34" 3440 x 1440 for a couple of years now. Similar to yours, and it's stunning! I use max settings all the way on a 1080Ti with GSync. 

The max refresh rate of the monitor is 144 so no point going higher than that. And also, after every WOWs update, the max FPS drops back down to 75 so I've got to go in and manually reset it again, so I just leave it on 75 FPS now. Besides that, you can't notice any difference higher than 75 FPS in a slow game like this anyway lol. I have a very small epeen, so like to keep it real 🙂

• Cool 1

[RSM]
36 posts
5,287 battles
19 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

The 2nd question in my mind is the controls.

Since we will be using the VR goggles: (Assuming we will still use mouse and keyboard and have memorized all the controls by heart)

Will the guns point to the same direction as your head turns? (For free look, right click mouse)
Or still use mouse to turn guns and the goggles are full free look mode. (Like some FPS VR games)

The idea and possibilities are endless. How will the VR and controls be implemented is the big question.
Will there be better control settings or a different controller built for WoWs in the future is unknown.

🙂

Yep, the possibilities are definitely endless, just have to wait and see what happens.

18 hours ago, Don72 said:

I've been running a Predator X34P 34" 3440 x 1440 for a couple of years now. Similar to yours, and it's stunning! I use max settings all the way on a 1080Ti with GSync. 

The max refresh rate of the monitor is 144 so no point going higher than that. And also, after every WOWs update, the max FPS drops back down to 75 so I've got to go in and manually reset it again, so I just leave it on 75 FPS now. Besides that, you can't notice any difference higher than 75 FPS in a slow game like this anyway lol. I have a very small epeen, so like to keep it real 🙂

That's an awesome setup you have 🙂. Hoping to upgrade my gpu soon but will wait until the new Ampere ones come out.

• Cool 1

746 posts
19,634 battles
On 1/5/2020 at 7:11 PM, PT_92NZ said:

😮 Wow, that's amazing, what settings do you run the game at and what GPU?

I actually run it windowed at a much more conventional size because the mini map is too damn far away in super ultra wide. GPU is some AMD thing I got recently. I dunno... it does stuff.

[151ST]
3,520 posts
11,857 battles
13 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

I actually run it windowed at a much more conventional size because the mini map is too damn far away in super ultra wide. GPU is some AMD thing I got recently. I dunno... it does stuff.

What the deuce are you doing here? 😉

Yeah this is why I don't have an absurdly big monitor, I wouldn't use the real estate effectively, so I just run multiple monitors.

[-CAT-]
3,367 posts
13,471 battles
21 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

I am very curious on what Team Red (AMD) GPU you have.

If you bought your GPU around:
2017 - 2018 then it must be either RX 500 series or RX VEGA
2019 then it must be RX 5000 series

AMD drivers (both CPU and GPU) can be tuned via AMD Software.
But it has been a while since I used AMD product, so my information may be outdated.

7 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

What the deuce are you doing here? 😉

Yeah this is why I don't have an absurdly big monitor, I wouldn't use the real estate effectively, so I just run multiple monitors.

How do you use your dual screen?

One vertical and one horizontal? Or both horizontal?

I can safely say one is for gaming and the other is for productivity. 🙂

For Ultrawide users that would like to maximize their screen usage:

NOTE: GPU process may rise a bit. Monitor GPU memory usage.

I'm still waiting for WoWs able to be played natively on Linux. They will need to run DX11 and / or DX12 for Win and XBOX (PS4 uses a form of DX called GNM), Metal for Mac and iOS, and Vulkan for Win, Mac, and Linux. (Switch, Android, Taizen, and iOS also run Vulkan)

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

746 posts
19,634 battles
On 1/7/2020 at 6:54 PM, S0und_Theif said:

I am very curious on what Team Red (AMD) GPU you have.

Very well.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
3,367 posts
13,471 battles
22 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

Awsome rig there mate.

And the setup is gorgeous. its ergonomic and functional.

And you have a fridge! 👍🍺 I salute you sir. :Smile_honoring:

A 3rd gen Ryzen 3700X and an RX 5700, your good for most (if not all) triple A rated games.

Such beauty and such power. 🤤

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 2