Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Late to the sad party

22 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,156 posts
23,917 battles

I'm not a fast learner.

Curiously I'm not stupid but perhaps... stubborn? Maybe I get a view of the world that suits me and I am just loathe to change it?

Maybe I choose to believe in some fantasy optimistic outcome and I just ignore the cognitive dissonance that comes with hearing things other than what I want to belive is true?

I don't know, whatever it is, most of the time I listen to things people say and put them on the backburner, to simmer away.

"Maybe they are right," I say to myself, stirring the soup of other people's ideas in my Mind Kitchen, "and maybe they are wrong".

It can also be a bit of a diplomatic approach. The older I get, the more likely I am to seek peace and understanding rather than finding a way to insist that I am right and by listening to other people's ideas and not making a call on them right there and then, I give peace and relfection a chance to be the answer, rather than "You're wrong lets fight about it!" being the answer.

Thus it has been with the PR fiasco and my World of Warships Christmas/New Years.

I was kind of distracted from the truth. I changed servers and spent some money on NA on some top level santa crates and got some drops - but maybe for the first time in a long time, I wasn't sure that I got my money's worth. I feel I have been lucky with loot crates in this game in the past and maybe I just didn't get lucky this time. Maybe the smattering of "meh" Premiums that I got are normal rolls and I just got a solid taste of the lie that is Wargaming Loot Boxes. I have many premium ships. I actually spent a lot of crates... more than I care to admit too but I actually expected the "if you already have it, it rerolls you a different one" to get me something nice... you know what I mean. I have one or two of the "nice" ones that I earned in game or bought for Free XP while they were available but there are many "nice" ones I don't have.

Sure. Gambling. Yup, no guarantees. I've said it myself (occasionally distastefully smugly) to people who have complained about spending lots and getting nothing. More fool us to spend money on a gamble and not even know the chances. More fool us. Life was kind to me lately and I could afford to gamble some, and I did, and more fool me. If you go and put a $5 chip down on any number on the roulette wheel, you have a 1/37 chance of getting $175. That's an informed gamble. Still a fool's game even then!

Ironically, when I came back to SEA, all progression and purchases on NA were lost and so I was refunded that money and had to restart the event gind back here. So when the money came back to me I thought, "Right, lesson learned, opportunity to wind back the clock and not gamble taken, good," but... no.. I'm a slow learner.

Not only did I respend the money I was refunded, I spent even more, gambling, with the same outcome.

No one forced me, I did it of my own volition... I had/have an unhealthy lust for "nice" pixel botes... I wants them... my... precious...

Kind of makes me feel sorry for Gollum and drug addicts. I mean I've never stuck my finger in a ring that I couldn't get out of my mind and there's no chemical substance I have ever encountered that makes me do Break and Enters to get more of... but I gambled a lot of money on... ones and zeros on a distant server that make pretty shapes that go "pew pew!" and "boom!" and sometimes makes other people's pixels go underwater and sometimes mine do.

What am I doing?

What I was doing was being a slow learner.

I guess I believed in the back of my Mind Kitchen that all the things that people were saying about how terrible the PR event was and how misleading and nasty Wargaming had been about their promotion of it was just wrong somehow. I heard the same things about Hill (got it), PEF (got it), Benham (got it) and so forth. I just figured I would go into All Day Gamer mode, pity and envy people with actual lives and bypass the hordes of people who aren't me and just get the damn pixel bote.

I think I believed that in the back of my Kitchen and it somehow justified to me all the gamble money I was spending.

"Oh oh!" I would say to myself excitedly as I went to buy some more gambling chips santa mega crates, "Maybe this time I will get that perfect ship that will make the grind go sooo much easier! Yes yes, my precious, buy some more crates, yes yes, nasty grind hobbits can't stop US precious!"

Once again, it's on me. No one forced me.

But just tonight I realised (you can find the thread on this very forum where you can see my heart breaking) what a lie it's all been and how I let myself be taken in, hoping for something optimistic, something fun, something good.

Yes, I'm late to the sad party. I seriously thought I wasn't invited. But I was. I just hadn't opened the envelope and looked at it yet.

"But my precious, maybe it's not an invitation to sad party, maybe it's actually a code for a Puerto Rico pixel bote?"

Quiet now Gollum. Into the lava with you. Don't worry, it will only hurt for a moment, then you'll be free.

• Cool 6

[G_R]
424 posts
20,190 battles

Yeah it's depressing facing reality isn't it. Never mind there will be another pixel bote to lust after and Prico will more than likely be in a Santa Crate next year. ...... Shit happens life goes on.

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles
2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

No one forced me, I did it of my own volition... I had/have an unhealthy lust for "nice" pixel botes... I wants them... my... precious...

Kind of makes me feel sorry for Gollum and drug addicts. I mean I've never stuck my finger in a ring that I couldn't get out of my mind and there's no chemical substance I have ever encountered that makes me do Break and Enters to get more of... but I gambled a lot of money on... ones and zeros on a distant server that make pretty shapes that go "pew pew!" and "boom!" and sometimes makes other people's pixels go underwater and sometimes mine do.

What am I doing?

Yeah FOMO is a powerful thing. That and gambling addiction. But once you get overcome that need to get everything, it is very liberating.

I used to be somewhat like you until only recently. I would have gotten every single freebie that WG threw my way. Graf Spee, Duke of York, PEF, Indianapolis, October Revolution, you name it. Come hell and high water I would get that boat. WG started introducing ships for Steel only, and as somebody who doesn't play Ranked and only rarely participates in Clan Battles, there were suddenly some free ships that I would never get. But that didn't affect me much, as I just wrote those ships off and continued as normal - aiming to get every coal and free xp ship I could get my hands on and mostly succeeding.

But that changed in July last year during the Benham event. I came down with an serious illness that left me completely bedridden for a few days. Even when I was starting to recover, my mental state was simply not in a position to play WoWs. I could relax and watch anime and maybe play some singleplayer games like Tomb Raider, but my mind was nowhere capable of handling a multiplayer game as taxing as WoWs. So I had to sit the Benham event out and ended up missing both the Benham and the Hill. They were the first non-Steel free ships that I ended up missing.

But instead of feeling depressed, it felt oddly liberating. As though a weight was lifted from my shoulders. I had realised that I didn't need to get everything. After all, why am I playing WoWs? It is to have fun with WW2 pixel boats. But that doesn't mean I need to get everything. Getting everything was a distinct and separate matter from having fun. I didn't need to get everything in order to have fun.

After that, things were different. I would attempt to get freebies as normal, but the difference is I would not force myself to get those freebies. If the grind for those freebies, proved too much I would stop. I would not berate myself for missing it, instead I would just say maybe the grind isn't for me. I have missed out on some freebies since then, such as the special Russian and French captains (Kuznetsov and Philippe I think).

So yeah, I kinda know what you mean, because I was in a similar position. For me it was the Benham event that snapped me back to reality.

3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Quiet now Gollum. Into the lava with you. Don't worry, it will only hurt for a moment, then you'll be free.

And indeed you shall. It might be painful, but once you overcome it you will feel better. Getting past and addiction or obsession isn't easy, but the pain is worth it.

Sure, it might suck going to a sad party, but since you are there you might as well eat as much of the food as you can and drink all you want. Then you can leave with a full stomach and hopefully in a much better mood. Also I am not sure where I am going with this analogy so I will stop here. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
733 posts
10,803 battles
25 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Yeah FOMO is a powerful thing. That and gambling addiction. But once you get overcome that need to get everything, it is very liberating.

I used to be somewhat like you until only recently. I would have gotten every single freebie that WG threw my way. Graf Spee, Duke of York, PEF, Indianapolis, October Revolution, you name it. Come hell and high water I would get that boat. WG started introducing ships for Steel only, and as somebody who doesn't play Ranked and only rarely participates in Clan Battles, there were suddenly some free ships that I would never get. But that didn't affect me much, as I just wrote those ships off and continued as normal - aiming to get every coal and free xp ship I could get my hands on and mostly succeeding.

But that changed in July last year during the Benham event. I came down with an serious illness that left me completely bedridden for a few days. Even when I was starting to recover, my mental state was simply not in a position to play WoWs. I could relax and watch anime and maybe play some singleplayer games like Tomb Raider, but my mind was nowhere capable of handling a multiplayer game as taxing as WoWs. So I had to sit the Benham event out and ended up missing both the Benham and the Hill. They were the first non-Steel free ships that I ended up missing.

But instead of feeling depressed, it felt oddly liberating. As though a weight was lifted from my shoulders. I had realised that I didn't need to get everything. After all, why am I playing WoWs? It is to have fun with WW2 pixel boats. But that doesn't mean I need to get everything. Getting everything was a distinct and separate matter from having fun. I didn't need to get everything in order to have fun.

After that, things were different. I would attempt to get freebies as normal, but the difference is I would not force myself to get those freebies. If the grind for those freebies, proved too much I would stop. I would not berate myself for missing it, instead I would just say maybe the grind isn't for me. I have missed out on some freebies since then, such as the special Russian and French captains (Kuznetsov and Philippe I think).

So yeah, I kinda know what you mean, because I was in a similar position. For me it was the Benham event that snapped me back to reality.

And indeed you shall. It might be painful, but once you overcome it you will feel better. Getting past and addiction or obsession isn't easy, but the pain is worth it.

Sure, it might suck going to a sad party, but since you are there you might as well eat as much of the food as you can and drink all you want. Then you can leave with a full stomach and hopefully in a much better mood. Also I am not sure where I am going with this analogy so I will stop here. :Smile_hiding:

I felt liberated until I got Hill out of a Christmas crate :Smile-angry: And then I got Max's feeling, all the boats I rolled were very average and from the low tier up, which was probably a good thing as it stopped me going more. I was also a little late to the sad party, I was away for the first week of the grind. But when I came back I didn't play any WoWS I was so disappointed in WG - far more than I usually am when they screw something up. It was really only hanging out with the players in my clan and from the forums that I enjoy that kept me around, though I still haven't played a battle since before Christmas.
Every previous grind I haven't minded, as they have been achievable, and I've always been happy to spend a few dollars to support a game that I've enjoyed so much, so buying a ship and a few crates like DoY to help with the grind has always been reasonable in my mind, within a price range I consider fair value. This year that hasn't been the case, the crates have been very lacklustre and the cost of making the grind reasonable is not something I'd consider fair value.
So, welcome to the party Max, instead of grabbing a glass of bubbly to raise a toast in to the festive season, grab a bottle instead so you can drown your sorrows in the corner with the rest of us.

[LBAS]
2,062 posts
3,738 battles

People : i got mediocre sheep in gambling crate!

Me : FROSTY FYR TREEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Funny 1

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles
8 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

i have the online gambling addiction too(still not over, still on the resisting side )..the best thing to do is play other games that you are familiar with that  doesnt really involving splurging large amount of money(MOSTLY is buying the game)

for example:  i play gunz pserver now instead of spamming WOWs i didnt even care the Gorizia 

I found Insurgency:Sandstorm to be actually FREEEEE  after buying the game unless you go for DLC but that doesnt really impact your experience

Edited by Gummilicious

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,881 battles

I've generally been happy with the game, I agree with most of WG's decisions, and there is no doubt they have a great game here.  I haven't minded the grinds in the past, you knew what you were getting in for when you started, and could make an informed decision over whether you wanted to participate or not.  The Cossack grind was a good example of a reasonable grind that was easily understandable for the players.

The main problem I've had with WG's monetisation in the past is that they don't publish lootbox drop percentages.  I've always found this a little deceptive, and I don't think they'd sell less if they published the drop percentages.  Having said that, if I'm going to partake in a lootbox purchase (which is much rarer now with the credits instead of doubloons for duplicates and the much reduced drop value compared to years past for most lootbox types), I will always wait and see the results from other people's purchases to work out drop chances.  With the santa crates, I knew to within a few percent the drop chance of every single item in the crates from each box type, I knew what I wanted out of them, I bought up a few of the last low tier ships on the list I didn't have at reduced to heavily reduced prices, and I purchased a few crates in a reasonably informed decision.  The results I got were exactly as expected, and I was happy with my decision to buy a few crates because of this.

That brings us to the PR monetisation system.  The main problem is not the grind, although that was far too excessive.  You knew what you were getting into when you started the grind, and could make a reasonable decision on it - I would say that it was a little easier than most people thought it would be (it was most definitely not easy, it was stupid actually, but it was actually possible to complete if you put in a ridiculous effort, and that makes it easier than many thought). 

No, the main issue was that the whole system was deceptive, and designed to use behavioural psychology techniques to attempt to draw more money out of players than they intended to spend.  This in my opinion is basically a con.  The whole system was designed to draw you into spending money as early as possible before you had a full understanding of what you were taking on, and then when you realised you weren't going to make the grind, to pull more money out of you towards the end.  This is a totally unacceptable way of monetising your product.  WG can make an attractive product that people want to spend plenty of money on without resorting to these tactics.

Trying to deceive your players into giving more money than they want to in the way that WG did means they deserve all the negativity they got out of this issue.  It certainly doesn't reflect well on the ethics and the quality of the organisation that this was ever implemented.  We can only hope they have learnt their lesson and won't resort to these tactics in the future.

Time will tell.

• Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
295 posts
20,380 battles

Don't worry Max, you aren't alone in the enjoying the feeling of expectation. Especially since it is that time of year.

I wasted spent money on crates. Like most players I have chatted to, I have found the contents to be underwhelming at best. I should have kept the cash and purchased more T10 permanent camouflages or the like.

Worse, I had just completed researching the available premium ships with a view to purchasing one or two (Due to Coupon availability). There isn't any ships that stand out to me. Not one of them offers that something special, unique or is of historical significance. This was irrespective of purchase medium. Coal, Steel, Doubloons or Cash.

So why did I waste spend money on crates to get a ship that I had already decided that I really didn't want. So now I am a poorer TWIT. However my choice, my responsibility and my consequences. 🤦‍♂️

Chin up Mate, there are so many things to look forward to in 2020.

• Puerto Rico will remain in her dockyard until Update 0.9.0 drops around 18JAN20;
  • Submarines are still under development;
  • A team with a good CV player will generally carry the battle against any team with a CV player of lesser skill;
  • Unique (Legendary) Upgrades are transferring to the Research Bureau;
  • There are no plans to resurrect the forgotten Operations (Scenarios) "The Ultimate Frontier", "Hermes", "Cherry Blossom" and "Operation Dynamo";
  • War Gaming has shown no interest in providing more scenarios at different tiers (especially lower ones);
  • We are getting Scandinavian European DD line. (Umm, the Ikea guy passed away recently);
  • We are getting British Heavy Cruisers;
  • So we have many paper ships from the fertile minds in St Petersburg with more on the way; and
  • Game Balance, game mechanics, match maker and a Port UI (that uses more resources than a '70s muscle car, with a similar perchance to fail) are all good as they are!

Cheers Mate

Edited by Taipan17
Crap proof read
  • Funny 1

[-ISO-]
1,085 posts
6,882 battles
16 minutes ago, Taipan17 said:
  • There are no plans to resurrect the forgotten Operations (Scenarios) "The Ultimate Frontier", "Hermes", "Cherry Blossom" and "Operation Dynamo";
  • War Gaming has shown no interest in providing more scenarios at different tiers (especially lower ones);

Why? Just WHY????? 

Edited by mr_glitchy_R

5,691 posts
9,498 battles

I've never been even interested in gambling, not in video games, even less in real life.

After all, it's a video game. It is only one form of entertainment, relaxation, escapism and whatever else. However, a MMO like this game is not really a good source of recreation.

I also have no need to actually "own" a ship, because if I'm just to admire the ships, I can always use Extended Tech tree mod to admire them. I'm a very visual person.

It's dependent on each person's reason to play a game, and thus, some games are not suitable for certain people. If you want to relax, avoid fighting games, esp. multiplayer games, if you're prone to gambling addiction, avoid gacha games and gamble content in any video game.

Just now, Taipan17 said:

Chin up Mate, there are so many things to look forward to in 2020.

• Puerto Rico will remain in her dockyard until Update 0.9.0 drops around 18JAN20;
  • Submarines are still under development;
  • A team with a good CV player will generally carry the battle against any team with a CV player of lesser skill;
  • Unique (Legendary) Upgrades are transferring to the Research Bureau;
  • We are getting Scandinavian European DD line. (Umm, the Ikea guy passed away recently);
  • We are getting British Heavy Cruisers;
  • So we have many paper ships from the fertile minds in St Petersburg with more on the way; and
  • Game Balance, game mechanics, match maker and a Port UI (thatuses more resources than a '70s muscle car, with a similar perchance to fail) are all good as they are!

The sarcasm is overflowing in this one.

Well, I generally look forward to new ship lines (except CVs and/or Russian). New ship lines are the 'core' content of the game, and that is the only thing I truly look out for while playing this game. Other that those, this game may be going in a downward trajectory due to its innumerable issues.

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles

I just read the indomi review. very sad. It does not bode well for 2020.

2019: Started out with the fiasco dump that was "cv rework" aka changing the goalposts to "reduce skill level" and ended with the natural disaster in PR. 

2020: Started out with the release of a poorly balanced ship.

Does not bode well friends... does not bode well....

13 posts
6,017 battles

We're being too hard on them guys!

Yes they are very money oriented. Who isn't these days?

CV imbalance has become a staple of the game and like before the rework Great carriers are very obvious (made clear to me during this ranked sprint as some carriers were outright nasty to come up against and others you could just merrily sail around after capping and watch the points tick up) So effectively the CV rework has not worked as intended and just made it almost impossible to enjoy playing a Destroyer because of Rocket plane squadrons (which if removed would go a VERY long way to balancing carriers) BUT furthermore SUBMARINES in their most recent state check Flamu on youtube for his Submarine Test [WiP] - Gamebreaking video. Honestly they are so strong right now that I would not be shocked to see them go live soon as imbalance is a wargaming special!

[-FUN-]
524 posts
8,421 battles

Too long, didn't have time to read, better back to my grinding free botes.. FREE botes.!!

• Cool 1

[SALT]
2,123 posts
10,571 battles

I have been step out of the vicius step WG trying to force compel playerbase with mindless non stop content, and dubius Balans, Being saturated enough with "activities".

Graf spee is the last Heavy Grind ship that I realy2 want. and I have only miss Flint from Collect them all mentality back then

I play free of "dangling carrots" since then. some Free ship like DoY, OctRev, I still got without being Tryhards about it - some I dont get.  c'est la vie

Well, Im not usualy "click" with everyships. and the "Freebies" (with caveat) WG give is usualy is Big ol MEEEEHHH. so, its never big lost to miss it

I understand that some people forced to be FOMO, because peer pressure. competitive clan, ranked elites, tournament maniacs, colectors, or weebs.

but if you play just for fun and being casual, you should have better self control. I mean when the game litteraly force you to grind 100 hours within 2 weeks for freebiess - you should know its becoming very unheathy. not just for you, but also direction WG took

Edited by humusz

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
1 hour ago, DisgruntledDave said:

TL;DR

Basically with "rework" they shifted the goalposts for "skill gap". The great are still great or better, just that the game they play now is more damage oriented. Imagine asking Real Madrid to play without a goalkeeper just because they are so good...

[HIT]
153 posts
5,108 battles

No matter what your thoughts are about WG, they are EXPERTS at human psychology and creating gambling addictions in people with a tendency towards these types of behaviours.

[AN-DO]
733 posts
10,803 battles
9 hours ago, Don72 said:

No matter what your thoughts are about WG, they are EXPERTS at human psychology and creating gambling addictions in people with a tendency towards these types of behaviours.

I wouldn't say they are experts at anything based on their history

[HIT]
153 posts
5,108 battles
14 hours ago, blauflamme22 said:

I wouldn't say they are experts at anything based on their history

Just look at the number of people bragging or crying on the forums who have spent a truck load of money on containers every time some event rolls around. WG don't know how to keep most people happy, but they do know how to get them to open up their wallets, and people keep doing it, so WG will continue their wallet-opening tactics.

[SPCTH]
390 posts
10,312 battles

It bad isnt it. When you spend so much time and a lot of money on trying to acquire every ship you can get. An addiction and obsession for completion, but only when the game is fun and entertaining, otherwise it becomes frustrating and the level of enjoyment has gone out the window. So much invested and the return is so little. What gives........a broken bond between the yourself and the game you put 1st above everything else. The link is broken and giving up. Thats it........... your done. No more time, no more money, ........... ehhhh just play here and there like random 1 night stand. Who cares anymore. They dont.............. why should you.

• Cool 2

[HIT]
153 posts
5,108 battles
On 1/6/2020 at 5:00 AM, AxEyBoI said:

It bad isnt it. When you spend so much time and a lot of money on trying to acquire every ship you can get. An addiction and obsession for completion, but only when the game is fun and entertaining, otherwise it becomes frustrating and the level of enjoyment has gone out the window. So much invested and the return is so little. What gives........a broken bond between the yourself and the game you put 1st above everything else. The link is broken and giving up. Thats it........... your done. No more time, no more money, ........... ehhhh just play here and there like random 1 night stand. Who cares anymore. They dont.............. why should you.

I dont even play that much any more. I don't play for a few weeks then maybe half a dozen games and call it quits for another couple of weeks. Finally managed to break my addiction and it feels good. Once my premium time ran out I finally said "enough is enough". I'm playing the game my way now.

[SPCTH]
390 posts
10,312 battles

I have over 200 days of Premium, but it means nothing anymore. Some days i play some i dont, so when i do maybe 5-10 games max. I was done with the CV rework and all the nonsense going on one after another. PLay other games instead. WG dont care, the gaming community dont care so, neither do i.............. .win or lose dont care.

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,804 battles

I don't know what to say @Max_Battle, except 'don't do it'.

If you want something in the game, buy it. Nothing wrong with that. I recommend the 1 yr premium offer at 50% off, doubloons (expecially when you have a 30% coupon) and select premium ships (preferably after reading LWM's review)

This game is not for the weak-willed. WG are experts when it comes to the psychological-warfare of monetization, don't underestimate the extent to which they manipulate people.

Even the PR event. Think about it. Even when they judge it wrong and upset the playerbase, that the playerbase got so upset shows the extent to which they successfully manipulated people into wanting the Puerto Rico. And some people are still trying to complete the event.

Edited by Rina_Pon

Sign in to follow this