Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Deacon_Frost

Asking for some advice on how to play DD with CV/s in match

7 comments in this topic

33 posts
4,572 battles

First off let me say I'm not a great player, win rate 46%. I used to main and really enjoy DD's, I have shima, harugumo and yueyang at tier X. I was never great but trying to help the team with spotting and contesting was always fun for me, I wasn't trying to top the score board or go off hunting a lone ship leaving my flank, I just tried to do my job. I have really struggled since the CV rework and became a bit jaded with the class and started playing cruisers but the pull of the class I enjoy kept drawing me back but after a game where i just get 3 rocket run destroyed in my shima or harassed to the point where I don't have the hp to do anything meaningful crushes my spirit and I leave the class alone again. I have tried to play more passively but then I tend to get more grief from my own team then the opposing CV. I am at a loss as to what I do and how I play. I don't want to be the guy that sticks 20km torps on the shima and sits back with the snipers.

Can anyone give me advice or redirect me to actual guides as to how I play in this current day game, I want to improve and mainly get the enjoyment and the satisfaction that I have done my job helped the team and used my time well.

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,813 posts
29,443 battles

12 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

snip

this is my short general guide to how to play against CVs, someone made a more specific guide on rockets but i forgot who it was that made it, look a few pages back on general discussions and you should find it

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
1,569 posts
13,316 battles

Here the rocket dodging

It works pretty much, just know when to execute

• Cool 1

33 posts
4,572 battles

Thank you guys. Will definitely have to practice the rocket dodge, they are pretty much the bane of my existence.

[SMOKE]
3,224 posts
19,694 battles

well as a fellow DD main also, I must say once you get into mid to high tier ; you got to learn how to dodge and how to anticipate where planes will go and stay stealth and distance yourself away from them a fair bit as they can turn and fly much faster than you do. As far as the DD spec goes, you had 3 choice ...... a. forget about spec for AA, you are no cruiser, you are no BB you just do not had it so you got to rely on your teammate and your stealth / positioning to avoid, mitigate damage taken, learn to use the sector  ..... or b. spec for surprise deterrent effect  and self preservation , this work on DD which had long range AA usually with their dual purpose main guns ; it will require AA guns Mod.1 on Upgrade and Captain Skill AFT , the +2 to number of explosions produced by salvos from long-range AA defenses actually is significant as most of the middle of the road DD had only 2 or 3 by default spec and a +2 to that means doubling or at least 2/3 more hitting power which can made the difference between unable to do anything to able to really take down some planes so they cannot get a 2nd or third run from the same squad. I put this on my Soviet T8 / T9 DD and for real it usually surprise the CV ; but the priority is that you need to learn the basics as dictated in option a ; you still want to avoid the planes but worse come to worse you know you had a fighting chance .... and finally c. go for it .. some DD can be spec for AA , not you still do not want to fight it head on, but you can made yourself a very viable opponents , DD like the Frisk, Kitakami, and some Asian / US DD generally had OK to decent AA but you can spec them for full AA by using the Upgrades and Captain skills ; most of them are gunboats or need to use their guns routinely enough that the needed skill do not get wasted ( BFT, AFT, do not bother with massive AA fire you will not had enough of AA to justify using that ), whether you want to choose AA gun mod.2 on the 6th slot depend on how you want to play your DD , and just as option b you still want to avoid confronting the planes head on but you can rest assure that your AA can do some damage indeed when asked for and equip Defensive AA if your DD had it ..

remember you are still a DD, don't try to lone wolf .. work with your teammate .. know the cruisers AA range and learn to sit within that overlap of yours and his/her AA bubble wile still keeping some distance ( so both of you had room to maneuver ) and ditto if its a BB , and while it might not sound so, but a pair or a trio of OKrish  AA DD when playing close formation usually mean enough AA to actually counter a squad , always remember , shoot and use that sector only when that enemy squad get into aerial detection range , not before that you want that squad to be hitting that AA point blank ( and also them having the least amount of time to actually get an aim on you )

in the current meta its about specifying for a balance between Offensive Capacity vs Defense and DD is put into a Defensive position all too often now

Edited by Mechfori

36 posts
21,087 battles

1. stick with team at early game. (go to front line but not to far form support)

2. wait until you have chance to do something (cap or flank or etc). CV can't focus you all time.

3. trust me CV hate dd too much. especially dd who know how to play.

4. use smoke wise. some time you need to dodge and go to good place before use smoke.

5. if CV take action to other side don't fear to take action at your side.

[UNRYU]
91 posts
8,174 battles

On the topic of dodging rocket, I'm both cv player and DD player.As a CV after a DD did that to me once, it's not gonna work twice and I've pretty much consistently hit a DD that does that to me ever after. The only technique I think mitigate the most damage is to turn hard onto one side, when the cv's going to shoot, hard turn to the other side (basically weaving just like how you dodge bullets). The only thing I would advice is to make yourself a hard target for the cv. You're not gonna get a lot of experience for it, but you're gonna occupy a lot of the cv's time and hope your ally is decent enough to carry the game.

Sign in to follow this