Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

Tier IX MM "oddity"

22 comments in this topic

6,148 posts
10,625 battles

I've been experiencing some very 'unusual' MM when I play with T9 ships, it'll be a match that has only T9 ships. I find this very strange because single-tier matches is supposed to be a T1-exclusive 'feature', for any other tier, this is supposed to be impossible in Random battles. This has been occurring for a while now, at least 2 Updates in a row already. It's just incredibly unusual that I can't not keep this in the back of my head every time I play a T9 ship. 

It'd look something like this (the 8v8 is a very rare occurence, so please ignore the number of players per team):

shot-19_11.18_11_08.34-0312.thumb.jpg.b2ab125e34dcce62990a751d113627b2.jpg

Besides being the absolute blessing of an MM (no CV is just a cherry on top), I wonder how this happens? Does this has anything to do with Clan Wars/Ranked Season + the recent changes for MM of T8 ships? I'm usually the kind of person who doesn't like mysteries and uncertainties, so while this is a blessing, I really want to know some logical explanation for this 'oddity'.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[-CAT-]
4,567 posts
16,491 battles

Must have smething to do with the recent population explosion on the asia server, as well as the recent server transfers.

The increased population might have fooled the MM enough to think + / - 1 or no + / - at all.

On the other hand:

twilight zone.jpg

Edited by S0und_Theif

[CLAY]
3,683 posts
15,710 battles

Is it usual to have only 8 per side? I still get 12 per side pretty much all the time when I'm playing.

Though even then I occasionally get all tier 8s. Its just something that happens occasionally.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,513 posts
15,415 battles

Well this is not that odd other than the 8 vs 8 format. I've been only playing Musashi, Kitakaze & Jean Bart throughout this week, and I've got this tier IX only MM in like 6 out of 10 battles. It may have something to do with the players' attempt to avoid being heavily uptiered. Tier VII is at in the worst shape since WG "fixed" the MM for the tier VIII ships.

Tier X also gets the special MM a lot. I've seen tier X as tier 9 like 2 out of 10.

6,148 posts
10,625 battles
5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Is it usual to have only 8 per side?

Just now, Sir_Feather said:

Well this is not that odd other than the 8 vs 8 format. I've been only playing Musashi, Kitakaze & Jean Bart throughout this week, and I've got this tier IX only MM in like 6 out of 10 battles. It may have something to do with the players' attempt to avoid being heavily uptiered. Tier VII is at in the worst shape since WG "fixed" the MM for the tier VIII ships.

Tier X also gets the special MM a lot. I've seen tier X as tier 9 like 2 out of 10.

No, that screenshot shows an oddity within an oddity. I even typed "is this a Ranked Battle?" in the chat in the screenshot.

I've been in a lot of battles of T10-only, because there are a lot of T10 in queue more than any other tiers (?). In the last Update I did play some T8 ships, and got uptiered frequently. It isn't just the single-tier MM, but the fact that it IS Tier 9 makes it even more odd for me.

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,590 posts
12,975 battles

It's not odd, they changed the match maker a couple of patches ago so that you can't be bottom tier more than 40% of the time at any tier.  Given the relative populations of each tier, the only way they can actually achieve this is to have quite a few T8-10 battles that are single tier only.

So this has been happening since that MM change very regularly, and is an expected outcome of the MM change.

• Cool 1

[MRI]
4,141 posts
18,703 battles

I have been experiencing this regularly after the MM changes. Not just Tier 9 but sometimes Tier 10 and Tier 8 too.

[SPCTH]
390 posts
11,608 battles

Been happening alot lately, at T8-10. Problem still remains, with all the better/experienced players on 1 side and the other side not even close.

• Cool 1

6,148 posts
10,625 battles

I thought it was odd, turn out the answer is a bit too mundane :Smile_veryhappy: 

The queue time is a bit longer, but if this is the MM I can get enjoy now, I welcome slightly longer queue time.

6,148 posts
10,625 battles

@dejiko_nyo And WeeGee said they won't implement two-tier MM (and even use a BS excuse), while single-tier MM is happening on a daily basis... :Smile_sceptic: 

While not exactly "always", it's so easy for that to happen. I don't even know what is real anymore.

Edited by Paladinum

[SMOKE]
3,405 posts
20,012 battles

Happen more often recently , been on quite a few of them , mostly T8-T10 but once I did end up in an all T6 game ( but 2 CV per team ) ; seriously I had no issue with that , its about as fair as MM can go as fa as tier matching goes ( still not fair if you take a group of newbies and matched them against a group of veterans ). The worst case scenario still there for mid to high tier , being under tiered and also finding that you are the minority ; say sailing that lone T7 DD when every Cruiser both your and the enemy are T8 or T9 ( I was in this quite a few times, and worse I was in my French DD, without smoke )

6,148 posts
10,625 battles
Just now, Lowyat said:

getting same tier mm happens more frequently. Its good mm imo.

It is indeed very good MM  :fish_cute_2:

[SPCTH]
390 posts
11,608 battles

PLayed 6 games and 5 games at +2 and 1 game at +1 MM. Well done.............. looks like they fixed this.............. and its like this every day. I play 10 games a day i get 8 games at +2 regardless of the day before.

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,356 battles

Dudes, it is just broken MM due to the fact it cannot follow its matching algorithms. You know, the one that says you must have 90% T9/10 when you are T8?

6,148 posts
10,625 battles
Just now, dejiko_nyo said:

Dudes, it is just broken MM due to the fact it cannot follow its matching algorithms. You know, the one that says you must have 90% T9/10 when you are T8?

Things like this just shouldn't happen. It's funny how MM like this happens when it's not as populated comparing to hours when I get my T9 into T10 matches, while it is MORE populated.

Something is very broken. (Spoilers: it's the game. It's the entire game)

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,356 battles

It's actually documented in the patch notes that MM will fail aka ignore the rules if they cannot find the "preferred" MM.

6,148 posts
10,625 battles
1 minute ago, dejiko_nyo said:

It's actually documented in the patch notes that MM will fail aka ignore the rules if they cannot find the "preferred" MM.

That's just pitiful, isn't it.

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,356 battles
33 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

That's just pitiful, isn't it.

Quote: "not enough players" blah blah blah

Sign in to follow this