Sign in to follow this  
MakinMunchkin

Opinion on french cruisers?

9 comments in this topic

22 posts
4,407 battles

So I've been playing the french cruisers for a while till the T8 charles now, and I'm just curious what other players think of this line.

Generally I think it's somewhat mediocre and it doesn't play very well in SEA.

1,579 posts
7,798 battles

IMO T4 mediocre, T5 excellent, T6 mediocre again (but you can grind that with Scenario Operations), T7 good, T8 good, it is said that T9 is somewhat mediocre again while T10 has been one of the most powerful T10 cruisers when fully upgraded and properly built.

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles

Fun line for me

I love baiting people to shoot me then see them miss 

Mbrb good for farming bb who put out 1 fire

[STCN]
12 posts
8,378 battles

use ur engine boost for fast flanking or kiting

also dont run in straight line, angle properly and point ur stern towards enemy, and keep rubbing forward and backward, watching shells flying around

one of the most annoying cruisers branches in the game (another is Italy CA branch)

• Funny 1

[STCN]
12 posts
8,378 battles
10 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

T8 good, it is said that T9 is somewhat mediocre again 

Actually T8 Charles Martel is far more than good, excellent

impressive maneuvering, both acceleration and steering, easily farming damage out of poor BBs.

T9 Saint Louis is generally a slightly larger Charles Martel, also outstanding at her tier, maybe mediocre compared with T8 and T10.

Steering gears breaks down frequenty on French cruisers T5-T9, install steering upgrade 2 to shorten repair and maximum maneuver ability.

T8 premium Bayard, even more than excellent. easily get 66% winrate and 90k avg as solo player

22 posts
4,407 battles

I find that players in SEA play a lot more conservatively than players in other servers. Generally what I see in high tier games is that BBs are always 16-17km away and they're always sniping in an angled position. Cruisers are usually at around 13-15km away and they are always on high alert and actively maneuvering. Their movement is kinda unpredictable, sometimes they angle outwards, sometimes they turn full 90°, and sometimes they even turn inwards.

players in SEA are smarter in a sense? they react well to incoming threats

How do I use the french cruiser's traits to play in such situations where players are actively maneuvering at miles away and nobody's really pushing?

[-CAT-]
3,365 posts
13,471 battles

Fast but squishy.

Fast:

They have the french NOS (+20% speed boost), as well as reload booster (send multiple rounds at them in quick succession).

Squishy:

Their armor is "meh". Their citadel is quite high and easily punishable. As much as possible, don't show your belly to the enemy.
Also watch out for 457 mm and 460 mm gunned ships. At T8 and T9, you don't stand a chance.

1,579 posts
7,798 battles
On 12/24/2019 at 11:27 PM, S0und_Theif said:

Fast but squishy.

Fast:

They have the french NOS (+20% speed boost), as well as reload booster (send multiple rounds at them in quick succession).

Squishy:

Their armor is "meh". Their citadel is quite high and easily punishable. As much as possible, don't show your belly to the enemy.
Also watch out for 457 mm and 460 mm gunned ships. At T8 and T9, you don't stand a chance.

Since T3 French cruisers enjoy widespread spaced armor belts which becomes rather trollish at T10 with a blackhole like effect when countering enemy AP shells fired directly at the belt. However there are several problems hindering the effectiveness of this said design:

-Though the citadels are fully enclosed from T3 to T5, the "belt"s are effectively nonexistent and the internal bulkheads are weak too, so they will fall apart easily when being overmatched. Emile Bertin boasts one of the best agility of cruisers in game and can use speed-tanking to actively avoid enemy fire rather than absorbing with her plating and HP pool though.

-From T6 to T9 there are extended and exposed boxy "bugle"s of the citadels and they sit rather high on water.

-The proliferation of "semi-lolpen" guns that can overmatch 30-mm plating devalued the 30-mm midsection plating aboard T10 cruisers.

-The armor scheme of Henri IV, features a layer of thin external plating outside the mainbelt,  seems to be nearly hard-countered by Italian SAP shells.

Sign in to follow this