Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Housecleaning and retirement

14 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles

I'm just back from some pruning of my ship carousel.

I made the decision not to keep ships I don't enjoy, even if I spent money on them. Axed were, Texas, Yahagi, Vauquelin, Siroco and Duke of York. The Snowflake event was trying to convince me I had to win a game in Yahagi. I was having none of it.

The usual argument against selling premiums is that keeping them stops you getting the ship back again in a lootcrate or supercontainer. Well, I don't care. If I get it back I'll just sell it again, and I'm not buying boxes anyway.

My 1 year of premium time is due up next month, and I don't think I'll renew it. I've spent this year getting all the ships I wanted. I have them now, so there is little point paying to speed up a grind if I'm not grinding any tech tree lines. WG wants me to play for coal or FXP or, worse the NTC, but - yeah, you guessed it - I'm having none of that either.

Got my toys, I'm happy. After almost 3 years playing, it's time to think about retirement. I mean to keep playing to win, but I won't be playing for progression anymore.

Edit: for context: 5 ships is 10% of my fleet. I now have 54 ships on the roster, all are T7 and T8 except for a half dozen or so each side of that. At the low end, I kept Clemson, Furutaka, New York, Hatsuharu, DeGrasse, New Mexico, Bayern and Nurnburg. On the high tier side of things, I have the IJN DD and CA lines to Tier 10, the USN DD line to Tier 10, as well as Iowa, Jean Bart, and Friesland. As a filthy casual, I'm set for life.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1

[SALT]
2,122 posts
10,571 battles

Thats what you got from being FOMO.

you should play at your own pace.

They push content and event, season pass, regrinding NTC, Puerto freaking Rico etc, at crazy pace since what ? 2 years for now ? 

prob Start with around Ranked season 6-7 or 8 ? when they add clan war inbetwen, and make it nonstop fiesta along the line. Alluring people activity with "Free" coal - steel - NTC ship.

I have been playing at my own pace since then, missing stuff like Kuznetsov, PEF, special captain and more. but its never bother me - it used to be, but at some point I feed up hoarding all content they churn out non stop, and its become more enjoyable ever since lol

I dont think WoW Playerbase is growing, its prob stagnant or even slight decline (as all games do) so they keep pushing content to keep it "fresh" to keep Players from leaving

But new content at fast pace consume a lot of resource, and hence pushed monetization even further

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 2

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles

@humusz

You're right. There's a direct line to trace from this seasons PR event to that first time they stacked Ranked and CB together and made the "special" events continuous. Coal and NTC are part of the same trend. Everything is designed now to make sure those people who will buy everything the game has to offer still have things to spend money on.

This wouldn't necessarily be a big deal. But eventually decisions are made that make the non-whales feel left out. That's the PR crisis in a nutshell.

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles

The way I see it is that the new players are left behind badly. I was fortunate to start out when the game was diversifying into 3 nations. Looking back, if I started now, I'd have to put in so much more effort in playing time than I have put on average throughout the last 4 years. Look at the grind directives. A lot of them require diversity of your fleet. You cannot be focused on nation and/or class. Plus some of the directives are (apart from the premium ship ones) so focused on a few particular tech tree ships to make it bearable. And who possibly has a fleet diverse enough to perform the time gated objectives? Veteran players or automated farmers.

The original campaign concept of missions was the ideal way to work for rewards as it allowed you to grind at your own pace and repeat the mission if you didn't have the ships to satisfy the other missions. You still could monetize the campaigns as it was in the DoY grind. If I had the DoY, the grind would have been much easier as there were exclusive DoY missions iirc.

I would say my fleet is essentially pruned after I made the decision to fxp over the ships I decided were obnoxious to play and I would never play them again after grinding through them (translated: a lot of T9 ships, some T7/T8). Most unplayed T6/7/8 I have rusting are free event ships that essentially have zero cost (I lie, they cost real money/time) to them. I can easily name the ships that I play the bulk of my non-ops games: Yamato (only because at the time it was my only T10 ship to grind money from), DM (which will be catching up and surpassing yamato), Missouri (mainly due to early on to earn credits, now suffering lack of use due to power creep and the lack of need to grind credits), Zao, Mino. Virtually every other ship is played "when I feel like it" or for familiarization.

Ops I always take the same roster of ships unless I need to grind out the T6/7s. As the social ops teams I play with will attest, I'm almost always in 1 of 4 colourful myokos, atlanta, shinyhorse in Narai. Anything else I play is for "variety". T6s is always an IJN CV or occasionally an RN CV (CVs are subjected to whether I feel I can be bothered with the high effort, low returns of the current reworked crap), Leander, PEF, Fuso, Farragut. Anything else is again for "variety". 

Essentially, you will play the ships you think are best suited to the situation at hand and the most comfortable in your hands. That is the huge advantage veteran players have over new players. And the way and rate the newer content is coming out, the new players are being left behind. You can say that these new players can FXP their way faster but remember, they first need to EARN that xp before they can even think of converting it via doubloons. (Buying credits is the most stupid thing you can do in the premium shop. If you really are desperate for credits, invest that money you'll spend on credits into a premium account instead). 

At the moment, what I see is that the recent decisions made are just for short term gains instead of a long term strategy to maintain the player base and attract new players. As I have repeatedly put it, as it is now, I cannot encourage nor recommend this game to any person and I will actively highlight the problems instead. Call it negative bias or whatever you will, but how on principles can I recommend something that mistreats their customers? Remember, word of mouth is a powerful advertising methods: that is why CCs are "valuable", although at the moment, it appears the majority are unwilling to remove their support.

PS. People who "buy everything" are a minority in the game. The core of the player base are "casuals" that make small purchases here and there. They should be marketing the premium accounts better. The way I see it is that they are giving out too many freebies to "entice players" but this creates a long term problem of people waiting for freebies instead of buying. 

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 4

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,004 posts
13,619 battles
12 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I made the decision not to keep ships I don't enjoy, even if I spent money on them. Axed were, Texas, Yahagi, Vauquelin, Siroco and Duke of York. The Snowflake event was trying to convince me I had to win a game in Yahagi. I was having none of it.

Did you try Co-Op? No one says it has to be a win in Random. The only battle type it does not count is the Training mode.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,208 posts
14,084 battles
5 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Did you try Co-Op? No one says it has to be a win in Random. The only battle type it does not count is the Training mode.

It took me about 5 days to do my one hundred and twenty-something ships in co-op.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles
2 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

It took me about 5 days to do my one hundred and twenty-something ships in co-op.

You are insane. I only plan to do my T8/9s and T10s for the important stuff. Then some of the T6/7s for some consolation. 

That is when I start. Currently at 0/whatevernumberofshipsIhave.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,004 posts
13,619 battles
5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That sounds normal. It took me 4 days to do 34 ships. And I only have 37 ships in total, so yes I am just so lazy to grind more lines.

[CLAY]
3,208 posts
14,084 battles
27 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

You are insane.

Never said I wasn’t :cap_haloween:

Of course, insane or not, I’m not stupid. Getting coal and steel for (comparatively) little effort is one thing, but no intention of going after directives beyond no. 3. And I may even give that up, taking it quite slow with only 3 to 4 hours per day.

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles
54 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

No I didn't, but only because Co-Op is too boring (it's also a pain to demount flags/consumables) .. and of course because I don't really care enough about the rewards to bother.

I like the Snowflake event because it provides a little incentive to revisit little-used ships, and a graphical display of progress. The problem is when the OCD kicks in and with it the irrational desire to finish. I find the best way to kick that habit is to force myself to leave some rewards on the table, removing the option of completion.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles
3 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Call it negative bias or whatever you will, but how on principles can I recommend something that mistreats their customers? 

Sorry to select-quote what was a really good post, but I've been struggling to define what exactly constitutes "mistreatment" in the context of a virtual economy and a free-to-play game. Or to put it another way, I've been trying to separate where WG is being legitimately unfair, and where players are being unfairly entitled.

With a few lines of code, WG could change the game to make every tech tree ship available to every player from the time of install. Instead we accept the gated progression and grind/reward transactions in return for being able to play for free.

I suppose it comes down to an unstated agreement between players and WG, something along the lines of: if you stay generous with the in-game rewards, we'll stay generous with our real-world wallets. A lot of the bad feeling over the Xmas events can be put down to players feeling their trust has been abused and WG is not upholding their side of this implicit contract. What I can't get my head around here is in a virtual economy, "generous" - and with it the definition of "value" - is entirely artificial. They could stick a $10 price tag on Puerto Rico, $100, or $1000. A problem only arises when players perceive the price to be unfair or unreasonably high.

Tying this into your last comment, that "People who "buy everything" are a minority in the game." I am confident that there is a 1%-style distribution where a tiny fraction of the player base contribute the bulk of the in game revenue. The recent changes to the game cannot be explained otherwise. People just buying a few thousand gold a couple of times a year will not support WG's costs. They are desperate to monetize the high-level player who has already finished most of the T10 tech tree lines, players who are willing to sink $100's a year into their WoWS account.

[CLAY]
3,208 posts
14,084 battles
19 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I suppose it comes down to an unstated agreement between players and WG, something along the lines of: if you stay generous with the in-game rewards, we'll stay generous with our real-world wallets. A lot of the bad feeling over the Xmas events can be put down to players feeling their trust has been abused and WG is not upholding their side of this implicit contract.

Recall watching Jingles on Monday. He basically said that no one outside of WoWS players cared about what was happening. It wasn’t news, because WoWS is a free to play game, and the tactics we have seen recently are commonly used in most other free to play games.

The difference we feel, is that with the exception of the past year, WG have been pretty good as far as free to play goes. It’s only now they’re really acting like many other free to play games. (New marketing director maybe?)

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles

I would say it's more the "take the playerbase for granted" that is what is happening. Basically their thinking is the "noisy people are in the minority and they are not representative of the player base". I can say that from talking with a fellow wows player, that they are also unhappy with the decisions that have been taken over the past year.

To frame it in perspective, I would consider the two of us "above average wows spenders and moving into the filthy whaling category", the other fellow being even a bigger spender than me. I have in essence all the ship lines, baring 5 stuck at T8. The other fellow has the 250+ ship badge. We play more "casually" (translation: coop) rather than competitively, but when it needs be, we can CW. Chatting with the friend who has been playing since WoT, all the bad habits from WoT is creeping over and they are disillusioned. It is more of the majority of the "new content" is catering to a 1% of the population that wants it while the rest couldn't care.

I would say that most of the revenue comes from a significant chunk of players judging from what I can estimate from within my clan is like 25% of players have a premium account and buy premium ships on a regular basis. Why? The only way someone can have a sizeable fleet in port is to spend money. I can definatively say that to grind out 150 ships being purely F2P you would practically have to have someone funding you so that you don't have to study or work. Having the premium account cuts down the amount of time I need to spend grinding by half because even in a co-op game I can break even better. Add the permanent camo which improves the economics, almost every game (excluding CV) in co-op I turn in a profit. Use limited edition camo from event that you can use? Finite number of them unless you buy bundles. So unless you have a sugar daddy and no commitments (or script automate play), most of us that have sizeable fleets at high tiers have spent something on the game. My spending is essential kept in check by willpower.

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles

Some of my best insights come during travelling so more TL;DR.

What wg needs to do is convert some of the F2P people to more regular paying customers. The best way is premium accounts. A year premium account is worth USD100. Imagine our we have a peak player base of about 15k, that is USD1,500,000 p.a. from just "active players" on our server. And remember, that is a fraction of the total server player base. Note that wg profits even more if people buy shorter duration accounts as the yearly account has a discount of about 50% over a daily account iirc (correct me if I am wrong).

Sell steel. Why limit the rewards a tiny section of the player base? Wg themselves already said that only 2-3% of the player base participates in CW (I saw that figure in one of the recent summary posts, correct me if I am wrong again). Wg is playing double standards by allowing sale of some ships but restricting others by using the same reasons. "PR is limited to hardcore players" "Steel ships limited to hardcore players". 

Asia server I would say would be the least profitable server mainly because of the income variability in our region. Korea/Japan/HK/Sing would have the most paying customers due to the larger and more similar disposable income comparable to Europe/NA.

Sign in to follow this