Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Katori

False Advertising: WG's Struggle

25 comments in this topic

[LBAS]
3,506 posts
16,235 battles

There is a certain case here about the Puerto Rico, but this time in a more mere real life.  You show PR that is Free

Not this kind of "Free" which has Money for doubloons for fast Builiding and Directives that even send you to hell that you may take your life after.

False Advertising could let the shutdown of the Game itself. lets discuss this matter.

EDIT: i found this one comment of Ichase videos, WG is in Big Trouble now.

image.png.f42df22f342fcba6fc7f9a8ff21518b6.png

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I
  • Cool 4

[TLS]
5,195 posts
21,710 battles

It will take ages to resolve, and most likely will come to a settlement but the important thing is that this will make companies think carefully about what they do in future.

• Cool 1

[HKN]
85 posts
6,602 battles

i think something needs to be done to companies that "Hey you can get this for free, you just need to work for it" but than the actual story you need to spend money to speed it up or else you need to work for it which is nearly impossible, which in turn goes back to "spend money to get it if you are not a hardcore player"

[G_R]
430 posts
20,743 battles

The sad thing about all this is if the directives had been achievable even with spending some money I think the whole idea and the way the dock was set up was fantastic. 

Now all that work is being ground away by the negative PR. If they hadn't been so greedy it could have been a winner.

Also makes me a bit worried have they got financial problems ... this whole year seems to have been geared to increasing income by whatever means they could.   

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,959 posts
17,490 battles

I wonder what Jim Sterling would say about this. WG will start to sweat when the more prominent video games journalists and websites start picking this up.

Right now nobody in the gaming community at large even knows about this due to how niche the game is.

[HKN]
85 posts
6,602 battles
5 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I wonder what Jim Sterling would say about this. WG will start to sweat when the more prominent video games journalists and websites start picking this up.

Right now nobody in the gaming community at large even knows about this due to how niche the game is.

i doubt it, news like this spreads faster like a virus

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
3,450 posts
14,719 battles
8 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Oh yes, I forgot. Australians can report this to their ACCC.

I’m not sure we can...

I’m not sure exactly what the false advertising laws are, but wargaming, well... It’s very bad advertising, they were not being honest, but unfortunately I think it would fall into the realm of “technically correct”.

If people haven’t spent any money on something, there’s not much they can do. If people were tricked into paying, even after they were told it was 100% free, like a signup fee, and were then told, “no, sorry, now you have to do all this grinding”, then that would be something they could do.

They can’t really make wargaming give us a ship we never paid for.

Of course, in reality, the ACCC has very little power outside of Australia.

If “The Checkout” was still running, I could send something into the ‘F. U. Tube’ segment 😛 

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
1,570 posts
7,081 battles

what they show in test server is very positive in CC eyes

AND they USED influential  of CC rise awareness and expectation of player

AND break it .... hard....

welp, I'm not effect by this in anyway so.... just watch from sideline...

Edited by PGM991
  • Cool 1

[MRI]
3,959 posts
17,490 battles
44 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I’m not sure we can...

I’m not sure exactly what the false advertising laws are, but wargaming, well... It’s very bad advertising, they were not being honest, but unfortunately I think it would fall into the realm of “technically correct”.

If people haven’t spent any money on something, there’s not much they can do. If people were tricked into paying, even after they were told it was 100% free, like a signup fee, and were then told, “no, sorry, now you have to do all this grinding”, then that would be something they could do.

They can’t really make wargaming give us a ship we never paid for.

You bring up a very good point. 

We can complain about misleading advertising, but if we are going to bring a case against WG about false advertising, then I am not sure we have much of a case to stand on. Because WG will just argue that it is not false advertising as technically the Puerto Rico can be obtained for free. Misleading? Sure. But false? That's a bit of a stretch.

Plus as you said WG hasn't actually sold us anything. Maybe if WG was selling the ship outright, then those who bought it were suddenly informed they also need to grind for it instead of getting instantly, then that could be a case of false advertising.

I would say WG is guilty of hyping up the event too much and creating false hopes and expectations though. But I am not sure that is a case that can be successfully argued in court.

16 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

what they show in test server is very positive in CC eyes

AND they USED influential  of CC rise awareness and expectation of player

AND break it .... hard....

That's why I always say be sceptical of what you hear from the CCs. Especially whatever is shown in the test servers lol. They are all part of the hype machine.

The only thing you can trust is whatever is on the live servers. I no longer watch any of the WoWs CCs, so perhaps I never boarded the hype train and so am not as outraged as much about the whole fiasco.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
890 posts
5,777 battles

it is a PR disaster and worth the shitstorm for sure.

But false advertising? You technically (though it's almost humanly impossible) can access the requirement without money.

I doubt it can even build up the case to start with.

Unless people from WG leak more information about this.

[NAU]
ST Coordinator
54 posts
6,609 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Of course, in reality, the ACCC has very little power outside of Australia.

not entirely true, the ACCC have taken Valve and Sony to the federal court over those company's refund policy's, Valve got fined $3M and had to change their refund policy (https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/valve-to-pay-3-million-in-penalties-for-misrepresenting-gamers-consumer-guarantee-rights) and the Sony case is currently on the books for the federal court (https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/allegations-sony-breached-consumer-law-for-playstation-games). And while it didn't go to court they also went after ZeniMax (Bethesda's parent company) over their refusal to provide refunds for Fallout 76, resulting in ZeniMax offering refunds for those who bought FO76 between 24/11/2018 and 1/6/2019, and undertaken to amend its customer service documents and scripts to address the ACCC’s concerns about misrepresentation of the consumer guarantee rights (https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/zenimax-to-refund-consumers-for-the-fallout-76-game).

Oh and the ACCC does go after companys for false or misleading claims in advertising (https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/advertising-selling/advertising-and-selling-guide/avoid-misleading-or-deceptive-claims-or-conduct/false-or-misleading-claims), so if Aussies put in complaints over the PR affair I suspect that the ACCC would have a closer look at this affair, especially as WG does have a studio in Sydney.

Edited by Blackaddicus
  • Cool 1

[LBAS]
1,570 posts
7,081 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

That's why I always say be sceptical of what you hear from the CCs. Especially whatever is shown in the test servers lol. They are all part of the hype machine.

The only thing you can trust is whatever is on the live servers. I no longer watch any of the WoWs CCs, so perhaps I never boarded the hype train and so am not as outraged as much about the whole fiasco.

jingle himself seem upset about him and fellow CC being used in this PR misconception.

Edited by PGM991

[TLS]
5,195 posts
21,710 battles

@BlackaddicusIn essence, if the consumer protection agencies in countries where wg has a presence are alerted, then wg will have a global headache? Korean/Japanese players that are willing to take this up, spread the word around in the other language forums. Perhaps someone will take action.

[TLS]
5,195 posts
21,710 battles
3 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

@dejiko_nyo

umm, what about SG and HK? WG's data center are in those location.

Anywhere with a wg presence. Whether any action gets taken finally is irrelevant to me. It is the act of reminding companies that their customers have rights and can take action if they deem practices to be predatory. Europe seems to have the strongest consumer protection authorities. US ones are terrible and easily bribed.

• Cool 2

[LBAS]
1,570 posts
7,081 battles

any of us read 'term of use' when we sign up? both live server and test server.

I believe WG is well protected by those, there must be some terms that let WG have right to alter/change thing as see fits especially in test server.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
3,450 posts
14,719 battles
5 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

any of us read 'term of use' when we sign up? both live server and test server.

I believe WG is well protected by those, there must be some terms that let WG have right to alter/change thing as see fits especially in test server.

Perhaps, but terms of use and EULA do not supersede any country's specific consumer law, much as they would like it to.

And changing from the test server isn't really the issue. There was nothing stopping WG from correcting any of the CC's at any time. Or making it clearer in their many posts.

[MRI]
3,959 posts
17,490 battles
27 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

And changing from the test server isn't really the issue. There was nothing stopping WG from correcting any of the CC's at any time. Or making it clearer in their many posts.

I think the argument will boil down to should WG be held accountable for the misconceptions of others.

Both WG and the CCs hyped up the event to the heavens and created a lot of misconception. However WG did nothing to correct those misconceptions. Either they very stupidly did not realise the misconceptions, or they did but didn't do anything to correct them. In that case, perhaps it could be seen as causing deception via wilful negligence or something. I am not sure of the legalese.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
3,450 posts
14,719 battles
5 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I think the argument will boil down to should WG be held accountable for the misconceptions of others.

Both WG and the CCs hyped up the event to the heavens and created a lot of misconception. However WG did nothing to correct those misconceptions. Either they very stupidly did not realise the misconceptions, or they did but didn't do anything to correct them. In that case, perhaps it could be seen as causing deception via wilful negligence or something. I am not sure of the legalese.

I don't think that WG did anything wrong legally, they promised something, then didn't deliver, something in common with many politicians.

Its a horrible practice, and I'd like to see them held accountable, but no money or goods have actually changed hands. Reporting them may make them a bit more careful in future, but the cynic in me says that "careful" for businesses just means "hire more lawyers to see how we can slip out of this".

Unfortunately, the best course of action we could take is to stop playing the game, leave on mass, hit their pocket. And while some are already walking out, others are still too invested in the game to do so. I'm probably not even going to stop buying stuff.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
2,228 posts
3,947 battles
19 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I don't think that WG did anything wrong legally, they promised something, then didn't deliver, something in common with many politicians.

Its a horrible practice, and I'd like to see them held accountable, but no money or goods have actually changed hands. Reporting them may make them a bit more careful in future, but the cynic in me says that "careful" for businesses just means "hire more lawyers to see how we can slip out of this".

Unfortunately, the best course of action we could take is to stop playing the game, leave on mass, hit their pocket. And while some are already walking out, others are still too invested in the game to do so. I'm probably not even going to stop buying stuff.

More like looking for better lawyer with bribe potential

Mean more cost to cut for development team. Less content....

Puerto Rico is actually not as much needed as Slava back then, its have counterpart like Yoshino with faster reload and 20km torpedo. Something like large Cruiser missing. Also bourgogne have more firepower than Puerto Rico...... A real battleship than a battleship wannabe

[MRI]
3,959 posts
17,490 battles
32 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

True. The fact that no money has changed hands certainly muddles things.

That's why I think a lawsuit or whatever is not really going to go anywhere. Hopefully it will make WG sweat a little however, and teach them not to try stunts like this anytime in the future.

Imo the best would be to let more prominent gaming journalists and websites get wind of this and perhaps they will take issue and create some bad press. WoT's SirFoch incident a couple of years ago proved that WG will back down in the face of sufficiently bad PR. 

Sign in to follow this