You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DaNoob

Port and Starboard, and other settings 'bugs'

11 comments in this topic

[ADM_L]
Beta Tester
279 posts
895 battles

First up: excellent game. I've not regretted spending my money getting into CBT early.

Also, I'm the type of person who always goes into the settings right after I install a new game. (and get minorly spoilered sometimes: What do you mean there's a button for "instant kill"?)

And here's the list of problems I spotted/suggestions I'd like to make:

1) Port and Starboard. Some people knows not which is which....

... but also just as curious is the difference between the "Hard to Port/Starboard" setting, and the "Port/Starboard" setting: they're flipped, one has Port above Starboard, the other has Starboard above Port. Anyone who wants to assign A/D to "incremental" and Q/E to "Hard" instead has the danger of accidentally assigning the buttons wrong, causing their ship to careen every which way.

2) Not enough tooltips as of now, especially at the key settings page. For example, what's the difference between X, Z, etc...

(Edit: on second thought, this might be solved simply by having a user manual on release)

3) There's a settings tab for WoT to adjust/configure your player/enemy display on top of ships and other data (tier, name, hp bars, etc). Will that make it into WoW?

4) Why in god's name isn't "Attack my target" (I forgot what's its called in key config) binded to a key right from the start? BTW, "G" is free to set...

In game, I also noticed a few things:

1) Ctrl click on the minimap to bring up pings... sometimes doesn't work. You really have to aim for the center of the square to enable pings to work.Not sure if it is caused by resolution, but there you have it (widescreen 1900x1080 here)

2) Press (and hold) onto the middle mouse button, and the camera follows right behind your shells, right? I've never ever managed this even once.

3) The game has a "report a bug"... in the login screen. It does not have it in "Port". And the link in login screen goes to the FAQ. AND the link in the FAQ to come here to the forums... ... doesn't work!! Ohnos, Plz fix!

So, yeah.

Just pointing some things out. Sorry if these have been posted before and/or this is the wrong place to post, just move the thread if you need to.

Edit#2: and another, final suggestion for now: A setting that allows the "autopilot" map to align to your ship's current heading. Some players (read: myself) gets disorientated when pressing M on certain headings, and the map flips...

Edited by DaNoob

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Port means the left side of the ship
Starboard means right side of the ship

3. They will add those feature later, currently they focus on bugs and mechanism

Edited by Harpoon01

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

3. They will add those feature later, currently they focus on bugs and mechanism

This is a bug. Well actually its poor UI design and a bug, both of which are things that should be eliminated from the full release.

I havent really bothered messing around with key bindings, the default layout is pretty good, and there arent even enough options to start cluttering up the keyboard yet. But yes, they should definitely make the layout a little more rational, common sense is surprisingly uncommon and people are going to get tripped up by this at some point.

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

1) Port and Starboard. Some people knows not which is which....
If you tap Q, and or E twice, you will turn hard starboard and port, and stick to it. (Does take a lot of micro management on where you are on the map and other ships.)
Pressing A and D, will slowly get you to hard port and starboard. (Its like car driving games with lag on turning)

2) Not enough tooltips as of now
Just go into your settings/properties, and you can see all your key bindings, and assign new ones, as some are not binded yet.

3) There's a settings tab for WoT to adjust/configure your player/enemy display on top of ships and other data (tier, name, hp bars, etc). Will that make it into WoW?
By default press "left ALT" and you will get that data/information.

2) Press (and hold) onto the middle mouse button, and the camera follows right behind your shells, right?
Yep, rather then left click when about to fire, use middle mouse, and you can re-bind it as well if your mouse is getting old.

3) The game has a "report a bug"...

Yes, the report bugs are here in the forums, for closed beta.

======================================

I am guessing with the last one, you are using your friends account, as currently your current IGN is not a beta tester, this is why you cant find the "report bug" forum/topic... You can get into the beta tests now by(in hind sight) "buying a pre-order" ; see it like buying a digital download.

Super Tester
752 posts
3,460 battles

I am guessing with the last one, you are using your friends account,

Check his profile. It looks like he is playing on his own account, it's just the forum permissions/title haven't updated yet

[ADM_L]
Beta Tester
279 posts
895 battles

I know this. Some others might not. And with the port-starboard flipped in two different places, they couldn't even begin to guess which is which.

2) Press (and hold) onto the middle mouse button, and the camera follows right behind your shells, right?

Yep, rather then left click when about to fire, use middle mouse, and you can re-bind it as well if your mouse is getting old.

I am guessing with the last one, you are using your friends account, as currently your current IGN is not a beta tester, this is why you cant find the "report bug" forum/topic... You can get into the beta tests now by(in hind sight) "buying a pre-order" ; see it like buying a digital download.

Maybe I'm doing the right-click thing wrong then. Also, the other points: please read my original post again: I know the workarounds to those, I'm just pointing out the problems with those...

Also: Yes, I am using my own account, and has bought my way into CBT. So here's another bug: Where's my beta tester tag in the forums?? :)

Also: Oooooo, there's a player profile thing.

Nice to know.

wait...

what?!

I'm travelling southeast. I hit M. The map does this semicircle thing as it zooms out to show the entire map, and I have to spend half-a-sec just figuring which way my ship is pointing...

And thus, I'm just pointing out that some people might appreciate a feature where the Autopilot map orientates to the heading of your ship.

Edited by DaNoob

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

I say "left n right" rather then port of star... as most kids know their left to their right. :D (Assuming they kids, or dont speak english well)

Hmm, what do you know, he is classed as a beta tester, when you go to his profile, (maybe bug, or maybe just hasnt been manually updated) #FindingBugsWithMortein :D

QQ; (Quick question) So you know the workaround and the re-binding ability, but you still see a problem in having these properties, or just that you don't want this ability, and would rather it be set as default?

Side note, it would be cool to see someone make a graphical image of the (default) bindings, and such, ahh im sure we could all do it, but who is gonna stay seated and do it all ;)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

The UI issues that he has pointed out is not about port/stbd left/right but the order in which the 2 sets of bindings occurs.

the first binding set has the port/stbd order the second set has them stbd/port.....