You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Zao Masterclass with flamu

34 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,648 posts
14,785 battles

If you own a Zao, this is a must watch.

I have the whole Legendary Module / 19pt captain thing going with this ship, and my build is pretty much what he has. I have been struggling lately to get much done, for the reasons he points out in the video: Too many planes defeats your concealment, too many 18" guns defeats your armor. What I came to understand from watching the video was that I do not shoot often enough. flamu is pretty much unloading continuously the entire game. I spend too much of the game afraid to shoot, or I shoot and my game is over.

Looking at it further, I'm simply too close. flamu positioning in this game is really textbook perfect. No sarcasm, you can learn a lot from studying it. 

[REPOI]
6,823 posts
29,935 battles
6 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

If you own a Zao, this is a must watch.

I have the whole Legendary Module / 19pt captain thing going with this ship, and my build is pretty much what he has. I have been struggling lately to get much done, for the reasons he points out in the video: Too many planes defeats your concealment, too many 18" guns defeats your armor. What I came to understand from watching the video was that I do not shoot often enough. flamu is pretty much unloading continuously the entire game. I spend too much of the game afraid to shoot, or I shoot and my game is over.

Looking at it further, I'm simply too close. flamu positioning in this game is really textbook perfect. No sarcasm, you can learn a lot from studying it. 

in the ranges that people engage on SEA, there's no way you can play it like a assassin unless you are playing in CW and has a stratgy to hold certain ships in place when they try to push, and even then there are ships can can do that role much better

[LBAS]
2,520 posts
4,467 battles

People hit 50+ Knot WASD Mogador from 15km, only in SEA

ALSO HALF MY HP is wrecked by rocket. 3K each strike???? Whaat three heck WG.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,624 posts
15,805 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

Too many planes defeats your concealment, too many 18" guns defeats your armor. What I came to understand from watching the video was that I do not shoot often enough. flamu is pretty much unloading continuously the entire game. I spend too much of the game afraid to shoot, or I shoot and my game is over.

That is the entire summary of the Asia server. Flamu can pump his guns continuously without getting blapped so hard that he wakes up in the port after his ship explodes.

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
7,060 posts
49,396 battles

1 more thing, that video made in RU server :cap_haloween:

Edited by MatterCore
  • Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,771 posts
16,179 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

in the ranges that people engage on SEA, there's no way you can play it like a assassin unless you are playing in CW and has a stratgy to hold certain ships in place when they try to push, and even then there are ships can can do that role much better

So... what you're saying is that the meta on the weeb server does not suit the playstyle of a weeb ship?

GOOD JOB ASIA META.

• Funny 1

[BLESS]
1,648 posts
14,785 battles
1 hour ago, MatterCore said:

1 more thing, that video made in RU server :cap_haloween:

Ah ... I don't hear much about RU. I am to assume a lower skill level?

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
7,060 posts
49,396 battles
33 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Ah ... I don't hear much about RU. I am to assume a lower skill level?

RU ~ NA ~ EU, they play for fun the most

[MALD]
443 posts
39,594 battles
3 hours ago, drakon233 said:

I've also noticed a lot of Flamu's recent commentary is from RU server games, he doesn't seem to acknowledge RU meta is way different and (as he would put it) "questionable" compared to the large servers.

[TQL]
55 posts
3,899 battles

i have done a ds to a 75k hp yamato with zaos torps, but its non cv game and my teammates were really good coz they held their position.

in normal sea games its just too rare to have such game experience and what u get on zao is just kicked out by 25500 hakuryu/ continuous set on fire by smolensk/ die in 30 secs coz all bbs and some cruisers have the chance to penetrate your head and deal 12k damage in one round.

[TLS]
5,596 posts
22,703 battles

Asia is ruled by long distance warfare. Which by right, is what happened in reality. Long distance artillery duels. For hours on end. While it is supereffective, it makes for poor gameplay experience. 

Give Zao back stealth firing. >_> How I missed that. 

11 hours ago, MatterCore said:

RU ~ NA ~ EU, they play for fun the most

While Asia takes it a tad more seriously?

[BLESS]
1,648 posts
14,785 battles

I only play on SEA, but I can't understand the hate. I can't understand the complaints that SEA is too much about island camping and long range gameplay.

There is a cadence to random battles. (I think I should know, I've played 7000 of them.) Maneuvering and intelligence gathering, DD feint and counter-feint,  battle line push and defend. One insight I recently started to see very clearly: most battles are lost, and most ships sunk, by ships overextending. Moving too far, too early. Rarely does moving too little, too late get you killed, and though it may get your teammate killed and lose you the battle, this too is relatively uncommon since all your teammate has to do to not die is wait for you.

Yeah, I do tend to spam F9 a lot. It wins games.

But, speaking as someone who, when I play a BB, will end up in the cap 80-90% of the time, there is plenty of brawling and close combat on offer on SEA. It's just all in the second half of a match, as you'd expect, and its not guaranteed. Some maps don't serve that style, some  games your DDs do the heavy lifting before you can close distance. This has never bothered me.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
5,596 posts
22,703 battles

Maybe it needs to be put clearer. It's not the island camping and long range gameplay; it's the appropriateness of when those are applied. I have been in and/or seen matches where it is clearly obvious that the opposition has wilted on one flank while the other flank is trying to delay the opposition on the other. All the winning flank has to do is push and create pressure on the opposing team. Quite often that doesn't happen and in the end, the other team recovers. 

I have seen in coop where I am taking fire from the bot BB/CA from across the map while attempting to fight off a couple of bots which are perfectly manageable by myself except that long range nuisance is causing problems. And said long range nuisance has a human player nearby doing wtf while the bot is concentrating on me. 

• Cool 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,202 posts
11,001 battles
21 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

Not applicable in SEA. Zao's are food here.

And so was Flamu………………………………………..

• Funny 3

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
7,060 posts
49,396 battles
7 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

While Asia takes it a tad more seriously?

wad is SEA, long range spammers, snipers, campers . . . brawler error 401

[LNA]
2,235 posts
17,316 battles

Zao i find on this server rely heavily on positioning and enemy line up to make it work.

If it is in a position where it have large room to play wiggle wiggle , it works. But if the enemy ignore more beefy allies or most allies are the same kind as Zao ( other cruisers ), it sucks royally.

Henry is a better gun platform than Zao on ASIA IMHO. Zao doesn't have a role like it used too when french DD are better ambush / assassin ship than Zao.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,202 posts
11,001 battles
1 minute ago, AndersVolvker said:

Stream sniping was a thing by cheats of course Ralph so there is that.

Humour 101

[TLS]
5,596 posts
22,703 battles
21 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

And so was Flamu………………………………………..

Turned into fish and chips iirc.

19 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

wad is SEA, long range spammers, snipers, campers . . . brawler error 401

Stay alive is paramount here even if it means throwing the game.

[TLS]
5,596 posts
22,703 battles
57 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

Not applicable in SEA. Zao's are food here.

"what a stupid formation! At this rate it will turn into a battle of attrition!"

Battle of attrition is not what you can play in the game unless you are so far ahead on points. Many don't understand this.

[MRI]
4,194 posts
19,210 battles
3 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I only play on SEA, but I can't understand the hate. I can't understand the complaints that SEA is too much about island camping and long range gameplay.

The issue I have is that games can get really static sometimes.

Since everybody camps and no one wants to make a play, the game drags on to one long war of attrition where both sides just slowly pummel each other to death at long range. There is little manoeuvre warfare or other interesting plays

Maybe it is just me but I find those games extremely boring.

2 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Maybe it needs to be put clearer. It's not the island camping and long range gameplay; it's the appropriateness of when those are applied. I have been in and/or seen matches where it is clearly obvious that the opposition has wilted on one flank while the other flank is trying to delay the opposition on the other. All the winning flank has to do is push and create pressure on the opposing team. Quite often that doesn't happen and in the end, the other team recovers. 

This pisses me off to no end. It is like the people playing this game do not even look at the minimap.

The amount of times I have seen 5 ships get stalled by 3 enemies is astounding.

1,212 posts
11,077 battles
26 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

The amount of times I have seen 5 ships get stalled by 3 enemies is astounding.

Or 1 CV......

[MRI]
4,194 posts
19,210 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

Or 1 CV......

Yeah that happens a lot too.

It really says a lot about the skill level of players when a Seattle sailing in close proximity with a Jean Bart and 3 other ships is screaming for AA support against a Graf Zep (that happened in one recent game I was in).

"You are fine, you don't need any AA support" is what I wanted to say.