You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KGNorskaFresh

Why the historical talk when there is nothing historical about the game apart from looks?

25 comments in this topic

7 posts
58 battles

Like so many games and especially world of tanks this game really excited me and I wanted to buy on impulse. On closer inspection however can everybody confirm a few things for me. Because I don't understand why so many people are being historically specific in demanding ship types when the game will not have allies vs axis combat as far as I am aware. Please field my question below if possible:

I want to buy if this even comes close to an actual ship battle or an effort to maintain the flavour of a real ship battle.

i) Will each nations ships be able to sail as fleets

ii) Will fleets be able to field their full range of strength in battles - from smallest lowest level ships to the largest carriers and battleships. World of tanks iirc used to separate players by level and therefore tank type... apart from not having machine guns and a lot of other things that made tanks for what they were intended - not tank killers.

iii) Why have nation specific attributes and trees if you cannot play as a nation? Will I be sailing the Arizona alongside the bismark?

iv) Will their be any attempt at radar range finding shots and such or will this sort of thing just be a perk = no skill just stats. I hate stat based games like WOW

v) Will their be submarines and supply ships, troops convoys and the like in scenarios?

vi) Will balance be done by stats or another more realistic method leaving historical parameters of ships correct.

vii) Is damage based on where shells actually strike. Can shots be aimed at close range to affect particular things? Or is it random health bar damage to the over all ship?

I am considering buying. I currently really enjoy naval action (age of sail) which is in a similar vein but will have nations and an open world.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

1: no, the matchmaking randomly arrange ships by tiers, not by nations 

2: they will but no Dept charges since there will be no sub

3:yeah, like the answer in 1

4: dont really get the question

5: no, this is like an arcade type of warship game, throws you in random battletype in a map then do the same next match

6: not really sure about that

7: yeah, you can blow up the guns and depending where the shots landed, it will affects the damage  dealt, and also on which type of shells you will use

Hope that helps XD

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Yeah, as long your the same tier to balance the team, they will be set to a team regardless of their faction or nation. but i do want some game modes where we can play on a team as the same faction of axis or allies haha

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Yeah, as long your the same tier to balance the team, they will be set to a team regardless of their faction or nation. but i do want some game modes where we can play on a team as the same faction of axis or allies haha

Probably Historical battle or

By chance since I have A match like that in random MM (WoT)

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Probably Historical battle or

By chance since I have A match like that in random MM (WoT)

nice, will play till i'll be placed on those historical battles or that kind of matches on wows haha XD:izmena:

Beta Tester
66 posts

Wait till the game goes into open beta then play it for free to see if you like it.

If you want a realistic simulator though this isn't for you

7 posts
58 battles

It does not have to be a simulator it just has to be fun and make sense. People often think their is arcade and then simulator and nothing in between.

But I want it closer to simulator than arcade. Anyways I appreciate the answers.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Why can't fight as Axis team and Allies team?? The Match Making system, and the population in the queue.

If that (Axis & Allies team battle) will be implemented. There will be cases wherein Axis players overpopulates the Allies players in the queue by 3:1. Axis players will have to wait longer for a match to be found.

So it's better the match be made by battle tier. Who the hell will wait 10 minutes for a match?

Super Tester
1,677 posts

doubt confrontation battles will be implemented nor will subs as of the moment. destroyers equipped with depth charges or ASW capabilities will chew them up due to the spotting mechanism atm i.e. a sub's periscope will be pinged in the map.

7 posts
58 battles

Fair enough. So all the great effects that look so real go into a game that has the mechanics of mario brothers rather than the ships it depicts. A real shame.

I will wait until it's free and then have a go. Sounds like it may be a tiny bit skewed the wrong way towards arcade for me from what your advice is. 

I will go back to naval action for the time being where at least I will not feel like I am playing a good looking but empty carcass. Hope it's better than you guys are saying.

Once again thank you guys n gals.

P.S. What is with all the anime avatars?

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Fair enough. So all the great effects that look so real go into a game that has the mechanics of mario brothers rather than the ships it depicts. A real shame.

I will wait until it's free and then have a go. Sounds like it may be a tiny bit skewed the wrong way towards arcade for me from what your advice is. 

I will go back to naval action for the time being where at least I will not feel like I am playing a good looking but empty carcass. Hope it's better than you guys are saying.

Once again thank you guys n gals.

P.S. What is with all the anime avatars?

You should probably watch a few gameplay videos before writing it off. And remember, compromises had to be made to keep the intensity up, the truth is that real warfare is pretty boring much of the time, so the devs had to throw a lot of that simulator complexity out. Its a good deal better than Battlestations, for what thats worth.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,232 battles

In WOT you can start a server and organize a nation V nation battle that way if you wanted and if you have the willing players, I imagine when the game is in full swing a similar feature will exist allowing you to play exactly the sort of game you wish.

It'd be much easier to arrange through a clan.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

This is not a historical simulator, but an arcade warship game. Hence, players have the freedom to use whatever nation's ships they like, as opposed to being restricted to fixed country-vs-country setouts.

Think of it as like Counter-Strike. If you join the terrorist team, why are Colombian rebels able to fight alongside Arab mujaheddin? It's a game, and that's that.

Also, per this page, there will not be submarines. This is a warship game, and submarines are not ships (under US and German doctrine, they're technically submersible boats).

Edited by benlisquare

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

It does not have to be a simulator it just has to be fun and make sense. People often think their is arcade and then simulator and nothing in between.

But I want it closer to simulator than arcade. Anyways I appreciate the answers.

OP you forgot these.

ships sunk are gone FOREVER.

HitPoints

magical Repair Fairies 

ww2 cloaking devices

seaplane landing on catapult instead being retrieve from the sea

CVs are suppose to be kilometers away beyond sight.

USN and IJN fighting along side with each other versus USN and IJN, with the occational few russians tagging along

in theory Yamato's max range is the beyond entire map.

there are no kamikazes

USN having no access to NUKES

and Kongou isnt drinking any tea

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

seaplane landing on catapult instead being retrieve from the sea

But this happens though. When you launch a scout plane, the catapult slings them up, and when they return, they land on the water next to the ship.

I play on the higher graphical settings, I'm not sure what it looks like on low detail settings.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

and Kongou isnt drinking any tea

Ahaha totally agree in that and no noisy overly attached ship who always shout teitoku haha

well there are other game if others want some historical games with historical missions and with historical factions

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

also soon you'll see the glorious ww2 SOVIET navy battlecruisers, battleship, and carriers, ruling the waves

Edited by piaya

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,232 battles

You have many questions.  :)

This is an arcade game not a true simulator which answers nearly every question you have and secondly and most importantly...

Don't bother even considering buying it, When the game is released click on the download button and start playing, you don't have to spend a single penny unless you want to.

Enjoy the game for what it is, the only surface warship "simulator" in existence worth a damn.

Not once in the entire history of PC and console games has anyone attempted this before, so the navy freaks from all over Asia have gathered here to celebrate and sink each other.

How could you not want a piece of that action. :)

Beta Tester
58 posts
676 battles

OP the is one word that will answer almost all of your questions the game is arcade ARCADE:) the questions you are asking are too realistic for WG standards if your questions were answered as yes there is like that in WoWs there is no need for team balancing or the current matchmaker all you need is to judge ships by their timeline and forget fleets the game already has little teamwork left on it(in my perspective) and yes there is a health bar for the ships although i still don't know if there are are individual health bars for the modules also no subs at the moment.

And you say you play naval action i watch a few gameplay videos and wow the battles are long and the open world is not implemented yet just PVP but i gotta say nice game but i rather play WoWs(i'll wait for the open world) 

You have many questions.  :)

This is an arcade game not a true simulator which answers nearly every question you have and secondly and most importantly...

Don't bother even considering buying it, When the game is released click on the download button and start playing, you don't have to spend a single penny unless you want to.

Enjoy the game for what it is, the only surface warship "simulator" in existence worth a damn.

Not once in the entire history of PC and console games has anyone attempted this before, so the navy freaks from all over Asia have gathered here to celebrate and sink each other.

How could you not want a piece of that action. :)

battlestations anyone?:hiding::trollface:

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

also soon you'll see the glorious ww2 SOVIET navy battlecruisers, battleship, and carriers, ruling the waves

oh I can't wait for the glorious russian navy that single handedly won ww2 with its mighty fleet alone

:)

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

oh I can't wait for the glorious russian navy that single handedly won ww2 with its mighty fleet alone

:)

you see comrade its true story, infact the kriegsmarine was so scared about the glorious russian navy they were to afraid to attack them.

Edited by piaya

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

OP, sorry to say If you wanted to play a realistic naval battle simulator, you will be disappointed. A few reasons:

1) WG has tried multiple times to implement historical  AND nation vs nation battles in World of Tanks, and unfortunately, these weren't very successful due to a lack of interest and participation from the player base. And if you wanted WoWs to be historical, there are some glaring differences between nations  that would make gameplay unbalanced without mixed nation battles - for example, Japanese Torpedoes, where superior in almost every aspect to their American counterparts, US warships had superior detection and communication equipment (radar, radios, sonar), and lets not forget that US carrier aviation was superior in the latter stages of WW2 in terms of training and survivability. 

2) Its unrealistic to have players face a small pool of enemies - with the Japanese facing only Americans and Brits, Italians facing only the Brits and the French facing no one at all, lets not forget the Russians didn't even have an actual proper fleet naval engagement in WW2 -( their last was at Tsushima in 1905  if I am correct)

3) Too many variables to consider that you will probably still be unhappy - crew training, tide and weather conditions, day and night, morale, radar, sonar, quality of munitions (the superior jap torps had a tendency to be just as dangerous to the users as they were rather unstable and often exploded on the warships they were used on) etc etc to name a few.

Its an arcade game, and WG is a business that's trying to cater to the widest possible audience for bigger $$, if historical battles were that popular surely it would have been implemented ages ago. And real war is never fun anyways, playing simulators does not make you any better of a commander than the usual foot soldier or sailor. If the game still isn't for you, you'll have to find a game that suits your tastes.

Beta Tester
12 posts
33 battles

If you want a true naval simulator expect 2~3 day long games(minimum) and EXTREMELY slow movement with awkward controls.

The current 30 knots in WoWs is equivalent of nearly 300km/h considering the actual distance they cover.

If they stuck to their actual scaled movement speed, it would take you hours just to get across half the map.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,232 battles

OP the is one word that will answer almost all of your questions the game is arcade ARCADE:) the questions you are asking are too realistic for WG standards if your questions were answered as yes there is like that in WoWs there is no need for team balancing or the current matchmaker all you need is to judge ships by their timeline and forget fleets the game already has little teamwork left on it(in my perspective) and yes there is a health bar for the ships although i still don't know if there are are individual health bars for the modules also no subs at the moment.

And you say you play naval action i watch a few gameplay videos and wow the battles are long and the open world is not implemented yet just PVP but i gotta say nice game but i rather play WoWs(i'll wait for the open world) 

battlestations anyone?:hiding::trollface:

LMAO