Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SgtSullyNZ

Commonwealth Light Cruiser Tech Tree Suggestion

14 comments in this topic

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles

With the announcement of Pan-European Destroyers from DevBlog and on the EU Livestream on Twitch and YouTube on Friday/ Thursday I thought that maybe we may see a Commonwealth Tech Tree at some stage?

Here is my thoughts/ suggestions for a Light Cruiser Tech Tree, as most of these are existing Cruisers in the RN tree, it should be easy enough to introduce?:

Tier 1: INS Jumna - a Black Swan class Cruiser that served in the Indian Navy.

Tier 2: HMAS Brisbane - a Weymouth/ Chatham class Cruiser that served in the Australian Navy.

Tier 3: HMS Caradoc - A Caledon Class Cruiser that served with Royal Navy refiited in USA and later in Durban, South Africa as Gunnery Training Ship in 1943

Tier 4: HMNZS Dunedin - a Danae Class Cruiser that was transferred to RNZ Navy in 1925

Tier 5: HMNZS Royalist - a Dido Class Cruiser that was transferred to RNZ Navy in 1956 and PNS Babur as Premium that was formally Diadem sold to Pakistan Navy in 1956. Dido does not have a model in the game so this would be new content

Teir 6: INS Delhi - A Leander Class Cruiser that served with Indian Navy and HMNZS Achilles that served with New Zealand (as premium version these could be swapped around, I picked Achilles as premium as it was part of Battle of River Plate with Exeter and Graf Spee (both premiums)).

Tier 7: HMNZS Gambia - A Fiji Class Cruiser that served with New Zealand Navy and INS Mysore that served with Indian Navy as premium version.

Tier 8: HMCS Uganda/ Quebec - an Edinburgh Cruiser that served with the Canadian Navy.

Tier 9: I could not find a suitable ship at this tier as Neptune was a paper ship only,  An option would be HMCS Quebec but better specs due to refit for Korean War in 1951

Tier 10: HMCS Ontario - a Minotaur Cruiser that served with the Canadian Navy

Any thoughts on my choices and if you have better suggestions? Thanks in advance

• Cool 4

[1AN-E]
Beta Tester
65 posts
5,521 battles

Good idea man just like the other commonwealth branch suggestion if we make enough noise WG make listen

5,968 posts
9,931 battles

I don't see why WG wouldn't make a CW tech tree, it's only the question of when. And it's gonna be better because the PEU DD line may as well be called the Bofors DD line :Smile_trollface:

Anyway, there is one thing that more or less bothers me: is India a CW nation or a PA nation? In WW2 they were under British rule, so I would say yes (?) (same question to Ottoman Empire/Turkey)

59 minutes ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

Any thoughts on my choices and if you have better suggestions? Thanks in advance

Well... Dido-class is a pretty solid contender to the Atlanta/Flint (even more later on in the war), so I don't really see that design in T5. Besides, ships in the class have different armament setups. If 5x2 133 mm, can even be T7. I think it's likely for this ship to be a premium instead of a tech tree ship - an Arsenal or a Directive/CW Arc reward ship (as a promotion piece).

Both HMCS Quebec and HMCS Ontario don't fit into T9 or T10. They are technically variants of Fiji, which is a T7. They have little to fit them into T8, let alone T9 or 10. I don't know which real ships would fit into these tiers. It's also possible that the first CW cruiser line has CLs in the low and mid tiers, then CAs in the high tiers. But which ships? I kinda want to see the 4x3 203 mm CA design that I proposed for the RN CA line.

Edited by Paladinum

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles
9 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

I don't see why WG wouldn't make a CW tech tree, it's only the question of when. And it's gonna be better because the PEU DD line may as well be called the Bofors DD line :Smile_trollface:

Anyway, there is one thing that more or less bothers me: is India a CW nation or a PA nation? In WW2 they were under British rule, so I would say yes (?) (same question to Ottoman Empire/Turkey)

Well... Dido-class is a pretty solid contender to the Atlanta/Flint (even more later on in the war), so I don't really see that design in T5. Besides, ships in the class have different armament setups. If 5x2 133 mm, can even be T7. I think it's likely for this ship to be a premium instead of a tech tree ship - an Arsenal or a Directive/CW Arc reward ship (as a promotion piece).

Both HMCS Quebec and HMCS Ontario don't fit into T9 or T10. They are technically variants of Fiji, which is a T7. They have little to fit them into T8, let alone T9 or 10. I don't know which real ships would fit into these tiers. It's also possible that the first CW cruiser line has CLs in the low and mid tiers, then CAs in the high tiers. But which ships? I kinda want to see the 4x3 203 mm CA design.

thanks, my research is not very extensive, maybe some new designs, as Canada only had 2 Cruisers during WW2, India and Pakistan are Commonwealth Nations and gained independence after WW2 so best to stick them in CW line.

HMCS Ontario was HMS Minotaur so fits with Minotaur at T10

Edited by SgtSullyNZ
correction

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles
47 minutes ago, dolfire999 said:

Good idea man just like the other commonwealth branch suggestion if we make enough noise WG make listen

Thanks, I have no real clue as to what it could be, but I think it would take little work to reflag and mod existing ship models to fit the tree, Cruisers being the first cog, as Australia used some Heavy Cruisers and the RN Heavy Cruiser line is arriving soon that would give some models to put in CW line

Maybe separate or as top tier?

5,968 posts
9,931 battles
18 minutes ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

HMCS Ontario was HMS Minotaur so fits with Minotaur at T10

Well... the Minotaur in the game is a design existed only on blueprints, the Minotaur-class of 1947. The Minotaur you think about is a real ship, but Minotaur-class of 1943.

They are really different. The 1947 Minotaur design (the one in-game) has 5x2 152 mm DP turrets and is much heavier. The 1943 Minotaur has 3x3 152.

Edited by Paladinum

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Well... the Minotaur in the game is a paper ship existed only on blueprints, the Minotaur-class of 1947. The Minotaur you think about is a real ship, but Minotaur-class of 1943.

They are really different. The 1947 Minotaur design (the one in-game) has 5x2 152 mm DP turrets and is much heavier. The 1943 Minotaur has 3x3 152.

True, but why not give Canada a reflagged Minotaur. or put the Ontario in as a new model at another tier and put 2 Aussie Heavy Cruisers in at T9 and 10? It will be great to see this what ever they go with, hopefully before Halloween?

5,968 posts
9,931 battles
3 hours ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

True, but why not give Canada a reflagged Minotaur. or put the Ontario in as a new model at another tier and put 2 Aussie Heavy Cruisers in at T9 and 10? It will be great to see this what ever they go with, hopefully before Halloween?

WG have their own list of priorities (and favoritism). It's the matter of when.

Just a reminder, (I guess): the Pan-EU "nation" has been in the game for a scant few months and there's a Pan-EU line already. Compare that to the Perth and the CW "nation" which have been in the game for 2+ years.

Whatever the line turns out to be, I do hope that they follow the 'traits' (if not to say 'gimmicks') of the Perth - a ship I do like, although I don't play a lot with.

BTW I think like the PA or PEU lines, CW will get a DD line first.

Edited by Paladinum

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

WG have their own list of priorities (and favoritism). It's the matter of when.

Just a reminder, (I guess): the Pan-EU "nation" has been in the game for a scant few months and there's a Pan-EU line already. Compare that to the Perth and the CW "nation" which have been in the game for 2+ years.

Whatever the line turns out to be, I pray that they follow the 'traits' (if not to say 'gimmicks') of the Perth - a ship I do like, although I don't play a lot with.

BTW I think like the PA or PEU lines, CW will get a DD line first.

you may be right, I will have to look at the DD line then!! Would love to see the Flower Class Corvettes make it in

[151ST]
3,827 posts
12,763 battles

Hey mate, I like your stuff... I'm still working on improving it but my full tech tree so far is as follows:

I like that you also tried to include as many CW nations as possible. I'm not trying to steal your thunder, you've just got very similar stuff to myself so thought you might like it...

[-CAT-]
3,842 posts
14,615 battles
On 12/9/2019 at 3:45 AM, S4pp3R said:

Hey mate, I like your stuff... I'm still working on improving it but my full tech tree so far is as follows:

I like that you also tried to include as many CW nations as possible. I'm not trying to steal your thunder, you've just got very similar stuff to myself so thought you might like it...

@S4pp3R has better tech tree than mine.

The DD line is really possible for CWoN. The only issue in my suggestion is T8. The rest are almost mirror ships in the RN.

Tribal Class has 6 or 8 x 120 mm guns (depending on build) but only have 1 x quintuple torpedo tube.
Ca Class has 4 x 113 mm guns and 2 x quintuple torpedo tube. The problem, no Ca class was given to any of the Commonwealth nation.
Cr Class was present in the Canadian Navy, however, 4 x 113 mm and only 1 x quintuple torpedo tube.

As for the cruiser, go with both your suggestions. Mine is incomplete.

There is also 1 T4 Battlecruiser (NZ and / or AU), 1 T6 Planned Battleship (CA), and 1 T8 CVL (AU and / or CA) in CWoN. They are likely going to be premium

Also Dido class are separate to the tech tree or classified as an Premium. Her armament is small compared to other light cruisers.

Cheers

Edit: CWoN Tech Tree suggestion was updated on Dec. 18. Now has branch line.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[BELLE]
326 posts
32,704 battles
31 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

@S4pp3R has better tech tree than mine.

The DD line is really possible for CWoN. The only issue in my suggestion is T8.

Tribal Class has 6 to 8 x 120 mm guns (depending on build) but only have 1 x quintuple torpedo tube.
Ca Class has 4 x 113 mm guns and 2 x quintuple torpedo tube. The problem, no Ca class was given to any of the Commonwealth nation.
Cr Class was present in the Canadian Navy, however, 4 x 113 mm and only 1 x quintuple torpedo tube.

As for the cruiser, go with both your suggestions. Mine is incomplete.

Cheers

Interesting, looks like I might have missed your post but great minds and mine might think alike

• Cool 2

5,968 posts
9,931 battles

N-class DD in T9 while a J, an N and a Cossack are at T7 :Smile_trollface:  Unless you give them 610 mm Long lances (turning them into Yuugumo basically), they ain't gonna fit :Smile_trollface: 

ANd even if you do that, some players are gonna question you anyway :Smile_trollface:

The Pan-Amer and CW lines are kind of boring design-wise - mostly clones of existing ships in the game. What matters is the gimmick they can have.

There are a bunch of DD classes that aren't in the game yet, mainly RN ones, and there can be tech tree versions of some premiums.

I want Weapon-class to be in the tech tree.

Edited by Paladinum

Sign in to follow this