Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S0und_Theif

E-Games on SEA Games

17 comments in this topic

[-CAT-]
4,737 posts
17,157 battles

Bumped into a strange article earlier.

As the title says, E-Games E-Sports on SEA Games.

What do you guys / gals think? E-Sports in the future olympics? Future of E-Sports?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esports_at_the_2019_Southeast_Asian_Games

As of the moment, 6 games are selected. SC2, Dota 2, ML, Hearthstone, Tekken 7, Arena of Valor.

Could also put speed run games in the category. Super Mario maybe? Test of concentration and endurance.

What?! No CS or CS:Go?

Edited by S0und_Theif

[REPOI]
6,823 posts
29,888 battles

wows is not "esports ready" by any means, and i dont think it ever will be

the games that might be represented are games that are

-well established competitive titles 

-balanced based on a competitive scene

-have large and enthusiastic fanbases (DOTA, LOL, FGC)

-fast-paced or extremely skill intensive

• Cool 3

6,249 posts
10,839 battles

Video games are being recognized as sports more and more. Cool.

Competitive: Starcraft (and/or Remastered version), Overwatch (this game has its own world series).

I do watch a lot of GDQ, so there are a lot games that are speedrun viable. But gaming in Asia is more MMO/competitive so I wouldn't know which games would be known in Asia, let alone SEA region.

WoWS is not very competition-friendly because it's not:

35 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

71 posts
4,513 battles

It has given everyone here something new to look forward to. Prizes for teams can reach as high as Php 2,000,000 (approx. USD 40,000)

In my opinion, while World of Warships has what it takes to become a solid e-sport, it does not yet have one crucial requirement to become one: a huge fan base like what DoTA has.

In a way, that is good because I sometimes dislike it when a game becomes too mainstream.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/12/04/esports-makes-its-debut-in-the-30th-southeast-asian-games/

1,169 posts
49 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

Thats the problem with WoWs, every KotS tournament is island-camp fest, anyone who moves die first. Doubt it can be an E-sports title.

[REPOI]
6,823 posts
29,888 battles
Just now, RisaFujiyama said:

Thats the problem with WoWs, every KotS tournament is island-camp fest, anyone who moves die first. Doubt it can be an E-sports title.

no?

[TLS]
5,586 posts
22,690 battles
9 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

no?

No. BFGA2 is better as an e-sports title. Then we get chants of FOR THE EMPEROR!

• Funny 1

[SALT]
2,213 posts
10,571 battles

Doto2 Biggest tournament is Broadcasted over ESPN since 2 year ago you know, its $34 Million tournament Afterall.

some big team even have to employ psychiatrist, because a lot of salt and pressure involved. Teams known to have mental breakdown at random. Having tiny mouse click slip you Millions of Dollars is nervewrecking

Also there some Football team branching into E-Sports (like PSG - Paris saint Germain), and in China apparently there more recognition, they make purpose build E-Sports Stadium in Chonqqing.

WoWs is still like Parsec away to be viable E-Sports.

When 1 Class have no Place in highest celling matches, and the best Most picked ship apparently is just Certain Russian ship over and over again.

one bound to raise 3 eyebrow about WG esports ambition

• Cool 1

[-ISO-]
1,108 posts
7,193 battles

Now this is something that WG can't do. And even if they can, it will take so many years to make this game a viable option in E-sports. Which can be the most un-WG thing they've ever done. Because WG always rushing things you know.

• Cool 2

[PHNAV]
243 posts
10,533 battles

This one is a good read: https://fortune.com/2019/03/22/esports-olympic-future/

Basically explaining the difficulties like governing bodies (ex., athletics by national federations vis a vis an e-sports governed by private companies), olympics is every four years...who knows what new e-game would be out there. Like many fans of FIFA 20, PUBG, Overwatch, Call of Duty are wondering why were they not invited in the SEA Games 2019. 

In my personal opinion it is how we define sports the Olympic motto of faster, higher, stronger. If literally to run fast, jump higher, lift stronger:dance_turtle: Then e-sports don't belong. But if we include analyzing faster, high perception, and strength not to welt under pressure. Then we include e-sports. We just have to choose which games.:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[MRI]
4,184 posts
19,186 battles

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that e-sports is a thing in this year's SEA Games. It is good that e-sports is getting more mainstream exposure.

As for whether WoWs is e-sports worthy? I would say nope.

Like Drakon says:

8 hours ago, drakon233 said:

the games that might be represented are games that are

-well established competitive titles 

-have large and enthusiastic fanbases (DOTA, LOL, FGC)

And WoWs is none of them.

I remember WG was pushing WoT to be an e-sport some years ago by pumping in millions of dollars to get it showcased at big international e-sports tournaments, but it ended up failing. If WG's flagship (or flagtank?) title couldn't succeed, then what chance does WoWs have?

It doesn't help that third person WWII naval combat is a rather niche genre, so there isn't going to be a large audience for the game. Also I might get some flak for this, but imo WoWs is one of those games which are fun to play but not very interesting to watch.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,757 posts
16,138 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that e-sports is a thing in this year's SEA Games. It is good that e-sports is getting more mainstream exposure.

As for whether WoWs is e-sports worthy? I would say nope.

Like Drakon says:

And WoWs is none of them.

I remember WG was pushing WoT to be an e-sport some years ago by pumping in millions of dollars to get it showcased at big international e-sports tournaments, but it ended up failing. If WG's flagship (or flagtank?) title couldn't succeed, then what chance does WoWs have?

It doesn't help that third person WWII naval combat is a rather niche genre, so there isn't going to be a large audience for the game. Also I might get some flak for this, but imo WoWs is one of those games which are fun to play but not very interesting to watch.

It’s slow paced, and while I find Jingles videos quite amusing, that’s mostly because of his commentary, game doesn’t necessarily stand on its own as entertainment.

And I think that WoT would be a much better game that WoWS for Esports, there seems to be less random chance, though I can’t comment on balance, since I don’t play it (only watched some on Jingles channel).

Any tournament would have to be on a select map (ocean) and have set ships and limitations. But at the end, if the best player in the world can aim correctly at 15km and still miss, is this really a fair game for esports?

[CLAY]
3,757 posts
16,138 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

We need more Pylons. We need more Vespine Gas. 

“Battlecruiser (not) operational”

“Carrier has arrived”

• Funny 1

[MRI]
4,184 posts
19,186 battles
8 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

And I think that WoT would be a much better game that WoWS for Esports, there seems to be less random chance, though I can’t comment on balance, since I don’t play it (only watched some on Jingles channel).

Imo WoT actually has more RNG than WoWs, but less obvious. While WoWs has fixed damage and penetration values, in WoT RNG affects those too.

But I know what you mean, you won't have situations like in WoWs where you fire at a target and your shells end up bracketing it perfectly.

It has been years since I played WoT, but I remember balance was pretty bad. There was one tourney final that I watched and both teams' lineups consisted of almost the exact same tank - some French light tank with a "clip" reload system.

Imo WG's games are just not e-sports material, but that is ok because not all games need to be.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
5,649 posts
13,633 battles

Too difficult for pushing WG E-Sport to International competitions 

[TF44]
589 posts
26,578 battles

Getting an e-sports recognition only means the government is out to tax all your game next year.

Sign in to follow this