Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ashen_Sky

I Finally Got her... Now what?

25 comments in this topic

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles

Finally, after countless battles shedding tears and roaring cheers, i have reached my ultimate goal:

Lady Hipper !

download (1).jpg

Screenshot (366).png

N o w   W h a t ?

Edited by Earl_of_Arland
  • Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,802 posts
28,909 battles
9 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Finally, after countless battles shedding tears and roaring cheers, i have reached my ultimate goal:

Lady Hipper !

download (1).jpg

Screenshot (366).png

N o w   W h a t ?

now grind for roon and hindy:Smile_popcorn:

roon is one of the better T9 CAs and hindy hardcounters krem and yamato(whilst getting fullpenned in return, but that wont happen at 20km)

• Cool 1

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

roon is one of the better T9 CAs and hindy hardcounters krem and yamato(whilst getting fullpenned in return, but that wont happen at 20km)

Roger sire. Message received.

For now, Hipper and I will sail the seven seas!

Huzzah! Huzza-

Earl_of_Arland *Detonation*

xXxThatOneBBFiringHExXx *Devastating Strike*

Edited by Earl_of_Arland

1,744 posts
8,812 battles

Congrats for acquiring your dream boat, no matter how she performs in the current meta :)

19 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

Perhaps I'm just too casual and inexperienced with top tier gameplay, I feel that Roon seems to be more enjoyable than Hindy for me.

3 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Roger sire. Message received.

For now, Hipper and I will sail the seven seas!

Huzzah! Huzza-

*Detonation*

*Devastating Strike*

A random HE shell hit Admiral Hipper amidships.

*Engine Incapacitated!*

• Funny 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,802 posts
28,909 battles

3 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Perhaps I'm just too casual and inexperienced with top tier gameplay, I feel that Roon seems to be more enjoyable than Hindy for me.

you arnt wrong, at T9 roon has really good armor, guns and range, only thing she lacks a bit in is AA and maneuverability 

[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,891 posts
14,563 battles

trust in a flat ship

5,968 posts
9,931 battles
2 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

N o w   W h a t ?

Grind Z-23 and Bismo :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Paladinum

1,744 posts
8,812 battles
1 hour ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Any idea on how should i gear her? 

I used an ordinary build for cruisers. MBM1, Engine Mod (as German cruisers seem to be prone to engine incapacitations), aiming mod, steering mod and concealment mod as Hipper's agility seems adequate for me.

• Cool 1

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles
2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Congrats for acquiring your dream boat, no matter how she performs in the current meta 🙂

Thank you good sire! Indeed she underperforms, but that sleek lining of hers makes me cling on. And she completes my T8 KM duo, only Z23 left to grind.

2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

*Engine Incapacitated!*

For me it was the aft that was problematic, i'm angling away yet a single shell penetrated, took away 15% of my health, and jamming my rudder while turning. With a Yamato in view.

1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

Grind Z-23 and Bismo :Smile_trollface:

I already got Bis long time ago, Z-23 grind is going on good at Gaede.

40 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I used an ordinary build for cruisers. MBM1, Engine Mod (as German cruisers seem to be prone to engine incapacitations), aiming mod, steering mod and concealment mod as Hipper's agility seems adequate for me.

How about AA System Mod. on the third slot? 

1,744 posts
8,812 battles
1 hour ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Thank you good sire! Indeed she underperforms, but that sleek lining of hers makes me cling on. And she completes my T8 KM duo, only Z23 left to grind.

For me it was the aft that was problematic, i'm angling away yet a single shell penetrated, took away 15% of my health, and jamming my rudder while turning. With a Yamato in view.

I already got Bis long time ago, Z-23 grind is going on good at Gaede.

How about AA System Mod. on the third slot? 

To be honest I'm not sure about how AA mod would work now. For me, Hipper's AA defence when fully upgraded is adequate, and with the current new AA-Aviation system, the effects of all AA skills and modifications are no longer as clearly and simplg described as during the RTS CV era; an extension of AA bubble range is easy to understand, however one have to do some experiments to figure out how much would the additional flak bursts strengthen your AA indeed.

By the way can you kindly provide some advices for grinding Gneisenau in Narai? With the upgrades sale for Black Friday, I chose her over Lyon as she is a sleek, beautiful ship (at least much prettier and, despite with some Wargaming's trademark historical invention, more historical than Lyon) and while a traditionally-built Lyon can be grinded via regular gaming, a secondary-built Gneisenau would better pass her stock grind in Narai. However she seems a bit disappointing for me: she seems rather vulnerable to fire and the stock hull is incredibly clumsy (20s of rudder shift) which hampered dodging and proper angling (when facing torpedo crafts and that Missouri). I chose a secondaries build (Secondaries mod and DamCon mod; PT, AR, BoS, AFT).

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,459 posts
25,852 battles

I have something along those lines...

hipaf.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles
4 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

By the way can you kindly provide some advices for grinding Gneisenau in Narai? With the upgrades sale for Black Friday, I chose her over Lyon as she is a sleek, beautiful ship (at least much prettier and, despite with some Wargaming's trademark historical invention, more historical than Lyon) and while a traditionally-built Lyon can be grinded via regular gaming, a secondary-built Gneisenau would better pass her stock grind in Narai. However she seems a bit disappointing for me: she seems rather vulnerable to fire and the stock hull is incredibly clumsy (20s of rudder shift) which hampered dodging and proper angling (when facing torpedo crafts and that Missouri). I chose a secondaries build (Secondaries mod and DamCon mod; PT, AR, BoS, AFT).

I would suggest taking the Aiming System Mod. 1 instead of the Sec. since her secondaries, while powerful, doesn't have the range to be useful while fully upgraded. Having only six 380mm with wonky accuracy is already frustating enough, and i would anyday chooses to upgrade that considering the secondaries are useless anyway.

Also, dis you have Hull (B)? It is much better in terms of rudder and you've got the pew pew 128mm, which is stronger than Bismarck's 105mm. Rudder shift mod is also my preference.

2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

I have something along those lines...

hipaf.jpg

Man i'm jealous of you, i only started playing after that event ended...

• Cool 1

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

Well, just grind to Roon and Hinden then. Or Watch Yuro's video "Admiral Hipper | TUERTLEBAKA" so you can be a unicum in a pretty bad ship.

• Cool 3

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,195 posts
14,399 battles
14 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Any idea on how should i gear her? 

Upgrades:

Main Battery Mod 1, Propulsion Mod 1, AA Guns Mod 1, Propulsion Mod 2, Steering Gear Mod 3

Skills:

PT/IFA, LS, SI, CE

EL, AR, SE, DE (standard)

EL, AR, SE, MFAA (AA)

Hipper has flat ballistic and huge detection range. She will pretty much spent more time on an open water other than when she's hiding. So kiting is the only preferred tactic, especially given the fact she has no additional defense for CQC other than the turtleback armor.

• Cool 1

1,744 posts
8,812 battles
5 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

I would suggest taking the Aiming System Mod. 1 instead of the Sec. since her secondaries, while powerful, doesn't have the range to be useful while fully upgraded. Having only six 380mm with wonky accuracy is already frustating enough, and i would anyday chooses to upgrade that considering the secondaries are useless anyway.

Also, dis you have Hull (B)? It is much better in terms of rudder and you've got the pew pew 128mm, which is stronger than Bismarck's 105mm. Rudder shift mod is also my preference.

Man i'm jealous of you, i only started playing after that event ended...

The problem with "soft" secondaries build seems to be that secondary skills and upgrades seem to have some sort of “snowballing” synergy effect among them.

I purchased that boat just recently last night and are currently struggling with the stock grind... the 20s of rudder shift is very clumsy as I have complaint above.

Gneisenau is actually the hardest tech tree battleships to play in Narai. The lacking amount of guns which are also inaccurate is probably the thing that makes her difficult. Maximized secondary range may help a bit. And I'm not sure if skipping the stock hull will make her easier to play, the only major difference is the extra hp pool. Personally I find Lyon easier despite the odd main gun placement. The only problem Lyon has is the small hp pool.

@Sir_FeatherAlso the boat seems to be soaked with gasoline... it catches fire easily and suffers much despite DamCon mod and BoS skill, though the stock hull and retraining captain also have effect.

[CLAY]
3,452 posts
14,731 battles
2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Try playing her using AP only :Smile_trollface:

I use AP as my default in Hipper, switching to HE only for angled BBs and the occasional cruiser or DD. And even then its a toss up. Plunging fire seems to do more damage than plunging fire HE.

Of course, rather than switching to HE, its usually better to wait until the enemy exposes broadside again, if it looks like its turning.

[MRI]
3,963 posts
17,531 battles
3 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The problem with "soft" secondaries build seems to be that secondary skills and upgrades seem to have some sort of “snowballing” synergy effect among them.

Yeah from my experience soft secondary builds don't really work.

Imo for Secondary builds to work, the secondaries needs to have range and accuracy, so I usually go for Secondary Mod 1, AFT and Manual Secondaries. For ships with good innate Secondary accuracy like the Massachusetts, Manual Secondaries can be skipped, but otherwise I consider those three things to be the bare minimum for a secondary build.

[KAMI]
530 posts
6,381 battles

The way to use Hipper torps is catching people by surprise by appearing in close proximity from behind cover. That usually requires a decent hp pool in late game, so you're often stuck to long range for the most part

Secondary range buffs stack multiplicatively with each other, so a full set + flag can give 51.2% range buff. You are either in range to use secondaries, or they're worthless.

The AI in Narai, or any operations, does not attempt to account for changes in your movement when firing torps, so as long as you know when to expect them, you can probably dodge them fine with a combination of speed change and rudder.

1,744 posts
8,812 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Yeah from my experience soft secondary builds don't really work.

Imo for Secondary builds to work, the secondaries needs to have range and accuracy, so I usually go for Secondary Mod 1, AFT and Manual Secondaries. For ships with good innate Secondary accuracy like the Massachusetts, Manual Secondaries can be skipped, but otherwise I consider those three things to be the bare minimum for a secondary build.

About Secondaries build, I once pulled off a rather successful game with Bayern before purchasing Gneisnau (as I want to at least get famaliar with how Secondaries-built BBs would be like and my Konig is main-battery built. And it took me several meh to horrible games until making that said one). With the help of rather favorable terrain (the tattered, broken barren subantarctic rocks and islets on the flanks of Land of Fire), some enemies who were foolish enough (I successfully brawled with and overcame an enemy QE) and reliable teammates who secured victory when both sides have only a couple of ships remain floating.

With the captain retraining completed, my Gneisenau now boasts 8-km secondaries range... but they are still unreliable automatically-controlled as I picked AFT first, and the grind towards 14-points would be a rather long one. Before that she would be mothballed for most times and only shows up during when Narai becomes available.

Also I have found that I need to cultivate additional awareness for positioning when piloting secondaries-focused battleships. I have been constantly falling victim to the Emile Bertin and Emerald just before the Little Trouble.

Also I have completed the Blyskawica alt-camo mission with a couple of Narai runs this afternoon. Though I still think another player-designed one is better looking and I do not want to grab the Polish destroyer yet. Even for coal destroyers, I can choose Aigle and place my French CA captain on her.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[EZPZ]
41 posts
3,069 battles
23 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

*Engine Incapacitated!*

Motor kaputt, wir können uns nicht mehr bewegen!

oh, wait. wrong game

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles
10 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I'd use the 'soft' built because i think Gnei's secondary, while DP 128mm, don't have the range to be effectively relied upon even with the maximum possible upgrades and captain skills, unlike Bismarck's. And since i tend to got stuck in T9 battles with her (and people's tendency to stay back) forces me to depend on her main guns, which the ASM really helped here. Yes, 8km are farther than 6.5km with the soft way, but being able to deal more damage in long range duel tips the favour. And at the end of the day, those 6.5 km sec are good enough for late game pushes.

4 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

With the captain retraining completed, my Gneisenau now boasts 8-km secondaries range... but they are still unreliable automatically-controlled as I picked AFT first, and the grind towards 14-points would be a rather long one. Before that she would be mothballed for most times and only shows up during when Narai becomes available.

This. This is exactly my experience. I picked AFT way too early, and without manual control the secondaries sucks, influencing my decision to pick the soft build.

7 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I use AP as my default in Hipper, switching to HE only for angled BBs and the occasional cruiser or DD. And even then its a toss up. Plunging fire seems to do more damage than plunging fire HE.

How to consistenly deal damage though? My AP really likes to either overpens or ricochet in face of a full, broadsiding cruisers...but when it strikes home, it hits hards... though i prefer HE more, burning down an Izumo never felt this good.

And oh right, sorry everyone if i seems like a weirdo with too much dedication to Hipper...there's something off with my internal wiring

[KAMI]
530 posts
6,381 battles
36 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

How to consistenly deal damage though? My AP really likes to either overpens or ricochet in face of a full, broadsiding cruisers...but when it strikes home, it hits hards... though i prefer HE more, burning down an Izumo never felt this good.

When shooting broadside cruisers, AP have a tendency to either overpen or citadel them. You just need to keep working on aiming. As for ricochets, they might not be as broadside as you thought they were. It is usually easier to tell via the minimap, additionally there are mods for showing their angle relative to you.

[MALD]
712 posts
4,468 battles

Can't stress this enough, S h e   i s   a   b e a u t y

Screenshot (378).png

Screenshot (374).png

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this