Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
unknownaussie

Thinking of Transfering to NA

54 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
195 posts
4,663 battles

Hey guys So i am deciding about transfering to the NA server what are the pros and cons to leaving and staying i know alot of aussies and kiwis are going over there 

• Cool 2

[KNCOL]
384 posts
7,395 battles

Prepare yourself for whiny entitled scrubs if you decide to move to NA.

Try taking a look at the NA forum's General Discussion page and you'll be shocked on their lack of knowledge of  basic game mechanics and resort to screeching and howling in the forums if things don't go their way.

Also they're the loudest anti-CV echo chamber among the servers. There isn't a day where someone makes a new thread saying the same old crap people whine about CVs since January, and it's going to get flocked by the same people. And these whiners are most of the time ignorant on how CVs work in the first place since they have zero first-hand experience on how they play.

Edited by Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus
  • Cool 5

746 posts
19,634 battles
6 hours ago, unknownaussie said:

Hey guys So i am deciding about transferring to the NA server what are the pros and cons to leaving and staying i know a lot of Aussies and kiwis are going over there 

For me it's largely about the language barrier being removed. If you want to find a division in the Operations channel to run a certain scenario, it's easy. Unlike SEA. If you want to recruit capable English speaking players to your clan, it's straight forward. Unlike SEA. If you want to communicate intentions to other players in a PvP match it's actually possible. Unlike SEA.

People will raise issues like chat abuse or forum spam but if that really affects you I don't know that words can express how utterly precious that makes you. 

I guess the important thing to remember is that you have a 'try before you buy' option. If you don't like it on NA you've got 30 days to go back to SEA. You have literally nothing to lose by trying it.

• Cool 3

[REPOI]
1,104 posts
21,863 battles

Having played on NA myself, it just felt like every game i played involved beating toddler after toddler tied to the ground with a baseball bat until i felt hungry and needed to stop. The skillful element of the NA playerbase is being held back by the skill of the rest of the server. 

The depth of the game in SEA is much greater - you need to think, you need to be cunning, and you need to be opportunistic to succeed. You often need to think ahead to ensure you can outplay your opponent. There may be language barriers or whatever, but at least the style of gameplay is more like chess (which i also enjoy to a lesser extent). 

On NA? Generally, you shoot the enemy to death from a safe position as they come at you one by one, while they swear at you in all-chat and accuse you of being (specifically) a Chinese hacker. No kidding. As a player, how do you learn and hone your skills from that? 

• Cool 6

25 posts
4,986 battles

I'll be heading over there. I made an NA account about the same time as Max a month or so back and had enough game time to notice a few things.  

The game play is alot less campy and passive, players actually want to get in and do things rather than hide waiting for the oppositon. I find that NA play more fun.

Theres less CVs, enough said.

Im in NZ but my ping on NA is better.

The chat is is a mixed bag, lots of cussing and crying but theres some funny & good buggers too.

I'm just trying to finish the Halsey campaign first before applying for the transfer. Not sure if I lose and reset that campaign when my account gets transferred.

• Cool 3

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,513 posts
12,136 battles
6 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

I don't know that words can express how utterly precious that makes you.

I am utterly precious.

I spent much of my adult life in the military, I can handle people talking to me offensively.  Why should I have to though?  Why would I choose to?  I don't understand why people can't just be civil to each other, even if they disagree.  Look at these forums, there is always a lot of disagreement, but the vast majority of it is with a level of respect between the people discussing the subject at hand.  I quite like that.

Compare that to the NA forums.  It seems to be a microcosm of NA society, where people who hold opposing view points are unable to discuss things civilly, or respect the people they disagree with.  This no doubt extends into the game itself as well.  Why would I choose to expose myself to that toxicity if I don't have to?

• Cool 4

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,080 posts
14,052 battles
2 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

The depth of the game in SEA is much greater - you need to think, you need to be cunning, and you need to be opportunistic to succeed. You often need to think ahead to ensure you can outplay your opponent. There may be language barriers or whatever, but at least the style of gameplay is more like chess (which i also enjoy to a lesser extent). 

On NA? Generally, you shoot the enemy to death from a safe position as they come at you one by one, while they swear at you in all-chat and accuse you of being (specifically) a Chinese hacker

I have experienced the exact same thing when I did a "crash test" on NA, particularly when playing DDs. YOLO-torping is very possible because unlike on Asia, DDs are not the most wanted targets. I have in fact sunk more BBs on NA with Clemson than throughout my lifespan on Asia with the same DD.

• Cool 1

746 posts
19,634 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I spent much of my adult life in the military, I can handle people talking to me offensively.  Why should I have to though?  Why would I choose to?  I don't understand why people can't just be civil to each other, even if they disagree.  Look at these forums, there is always a lot of disagreement, but the vast majority of it is with a level of respect between the people discussing the subject at hand.  I quite like that.

Compare that to the NA forums.  It seems to be a microcosm of NA society, where people who hold opposing view points are unable to discuss things civilly, or respect the people they disagree with.  This no doubt extends into the game itself as well.  Why would I choose to expose myself to that toxicity if I don't have to?

Ex-pusser myself 🙂

I don’t think I was referring to you with that remark, but I guess if you’re responding perhaps you took it that way.

Either way, my point was that people acting like dicks in chat or on the forums is a pretty terrible reason to not swap servers in my humble opinion. You can choose to engage in those shenanigans or just ignore it and focus on the positive aspects of the change. That’s what I’ll be doing. I couldn’t really give a damn about what’s going on in the forums anyway.

In no way am I trying to sell anyone on the server switch, but if you’re going to give people reasons not to, at least make them good ones. 

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,513 posts
12,136 battles
35 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I don’t think I was referring to you with that remark, but I guess if you’re responding perhaps you took it that way.

No, I assumed it wasn't referring to me, I just twisted it a bit since that is definitely a factor in my own decision on the subject.  I just find that sort of stuff wearing over time.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,092 posts
29 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

Ex-pusser myself 🙂

Either way, my point was that people acting like dicks in chat or on the forums is a pretty terrible reason to not swap servers in my humble opinion. You can choose to engage in those shenanigans or just ignore it and focus on the positive aspects of the change. That’s what I’ll be doing. I couldn’t really give a damn about what’s going on in the forums anyway.

In no way am I trying to sell anyone on the server switch, but if you’re going to give people reasons not to, at least make them good ones. 

Ex Pusser and Police,

People acting like numpties in chat in a game and on forums doesn't make anyone utterly precious. This is a GAME - nothing more, nothing less.

If I am not mistaken, Games are meant to be played for enjoyment.

If you are carrying on like a two-bob watch while playing a game, then you are not enjoying the GAME. You are better off doing something else.

If you are going to change servers to enhance your experience in the game - go ahead by all means, and Good luck to you, but advising players who are not certain of changing servers to NA, due to the toxicity in chat and on the forums, that they are being precious is not the right thing to do.

I've spent quite a few years on the front lines taking abuse, I don't need to endure it when I'm trying to enjoy a game, and I'm sure other players are thinking the same.....

• Cool 4

[CLAY]
3,311 posts
14,398 battles

As I've never played on NA, I'm not the best person to answer this. But I will attempt to summarise what other people have said using the power of dot points!

Pros of moving to NA

• Less of a language barrier, mostly English speaking.
  • Perceived simplified meta. Less camping, not as passive, more direct attacking.
  • Perceived less player skill. Former SEA player W/R may tick up 1 or 2 %.
  • More active forum due to larger player base.
  • Perception that Mods are more active on forums.
  • Perception that Devs listen more to problems and issues on NA, and adjust worldwide game balance against that server.

Cons of moving to NA

• Perceived saltier players, more in-game chat abuse, insults, smack talk.
  • More arguments on forum.
  • Increased Ping, though many players find that this is negligable.
  • Peak times and CB times do not match up with peak times for AUSNZ players.
  • Perceived less player skill. Team mates may infuriate you with lack of skill.
  • Having to reform/join new clan and start oil grind again
  • All 'In Progress' missions will be reset.

I'm sure there are more, but cannot think of any right now. I think most people who are moving are doing do for the language barrier and the less camping meta, and don't especially care about the saltier players or ping.

Yes, I know I've used the word 'perceived' a lot. As stated, I've never played on NA, so wouldn't know, and for every person who has brought up the above 'perceived' points, there has been another person who disagrees, so it stays 'perceived'. as it is largely up to interpretation.

As for me, I'm staying because it seems like a lot of effort involved for something I don't especially care about.

• Cool 5

1,646 posts
8,355 battles

I am only a curious player, however is the NA player base really so skillless with some even ignorant about some basics of the game?

Back in June 2017 I have once came across a fellow Chinese player, who is studying overseas, playing in NA and bragging carrying the team with a T7 division of 2 Pensacolas and 1 Colorado in a T9 heavy match, including an instance of ricocheting a full AP salvo from an enemy Donskoi with angling and returned an AP salvo which chipped off 15K with 3 citadels in favor, and the game was effectively a landslide victory judging from the base XP. Though there are bonuses for a lower tier ship to successfully counter their higher tier counterparts; recently I have played a game in Colorado which the third-ranking player in terms of XP is a T4 Giussano that fail-divisioned with a Konig and he even claimed 2 kills with that fast but slow-firing and virtually unarmored cruiser.

746 posts
19,634 battles
1 hour ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

...but advising players who are not certain of changing servers to NA, due to the toxicity in chat and on the forums, that they are being precious is not the right thing to do.

When did “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me” stop being relevant?

I agree it’s a game and it’s for entertainment purposes, it’s exactly why I’m moving. But to rob yourself of that because you might read a bad word... I mean, really?

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
3,311 posts
14,398 battles
32 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

When did “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me” stop being relevant?

Probably when online bullying started being a significant cause of youth suicide.

Not that I’m saying that chat in WoWS is specifically responsible.

I’m just saying that the old saying kinda lost it’s meaning when you take mental health into account.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,916 posts
8,915 battles
29 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I agree it’s a game and it’s for entertainment purposes, it’s exactly why I’m moving. But to rob yourself of that because you might read a bad word... I mean, really?

I came from the NA servers when we migrated in WOT and the difference in moderation was the cause of a huge number of permanent banhammers falling on a lot of players.   Nothing they said was (very) offensive but the forums styles were so different that the smacks were dished out to the point where the players had exhausted all their options.  It was only after a long time that they were allowed back in.

Personally I loved the NA forum environment.  It was colourful, vibrant and great to read or participate in.     

• Cool 2

[151ST]
3,691 posts
12,242 battles

Am I the only one who finds their salty, cry-baby crud in chat a pro not a con?

Salty English speaking folks in chat to troll, yes please!!!?

It's really annoying trying to correct someone's English at the same time as giving them a 1-2 how-do-you-do back, all the while wondering if they even understood you...

I'll be staying in Asia, fam and friends are staying (well cept my my BZ mates) and when I play I've found number of players in queue to be rather low... But I tell you it was super tempting to go farm salty yank tears...

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Funny 2

[CLAY]
3,311 posts
14,398 battles
11 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Am I the only one who finds their salty, cry-baby crud in chat a pro not a con?

Salty English speaking folks in chat to troll, yes please!!!?

It's really annoying trying to correct someone's English at the same time as giving them a 1-2 how-do-you-do back, all the while wondering if they even understood you...

I'll be staying in Asia, fam and friends are staying (well cept my my BZ mates) and when I play I've found number of players in queue to be rather low... But I tell you it was super tempting to go farm salty yank tears...

I debated whether to just list points of difference and let the reader decide whether they were pros or cons.

As you can see, differences in skill level are listed in pros and cons, it all depends on a certain point of view.

[KNCOL]
384 posts
7,395 battles
3 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I am only a curious player, however is the NA player base really so skillless with some even ignorant about some basics of the game?

Yes.

Case to the point: 

Someone made a thread saying that "Shima legendary mod is broken" because:

Its supposed to reload at 101 but its still reloads torps at 1:40. The legendary mod lies and is ultimately useless.

They don't even know how to convert seconds to minute-second reading.

• Funny 2

1,646 posts
8,355 battles
Just now, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

Yes.

Case to the point: 

Erh. That really surprised me. How did he/she manage to survive for so long and learn to play this game while being ignorant to such basic knowledges of life...

Amyway there do exist very professional players there also. Like Miss Mousy (hope she would resume her famed Premium Ship Review soon) and a number of (half) experts in Naval history. And though there also exist lively Chinese-speaking communities like Tieba and National Geography Azeroth, the NA Official forum has the distinctive advantage of being able to communicate with those CCs and WG staffs face to face.

[TLS]
5,000 posts
21,516 battles
7 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

7 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Only replying because of this, which I am not going to bother to read because the link title says all. Instead of channelling all the anti-cv hate into a game, why don't these Americans channel it into real life and tell their president to ban all their CVs. The world would be a better place without USN CVS scouting and spotting all the other nations. >_> The irony of the anti-cv group.

8 minutes ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

God, the shima legendary mod is next to useless. I ground it and then used it like a total of 2 times. It is basically only good for sniping. The idiot who made that thread probably didn't even own a shima and try to use it. Yes you get the reload. In return you have absolutely no ability to turn the launchers in time.

• Funny 3

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
890 posts
5,777 battles
21 時間前、unknownaussie の発言:

Hey guys So i am deciding about transfering to the NA server what are the pros and cons to leaving and staying i know alot of aussies and kiwis are going over there 

Why not? You should join them.

[-ISO-]
1,094 posts
7,059 battles
22 hours ago, unknownaussie said:

If you hate salty environment and easily offended then I suggest you to not move to NA.

Edited by mr_glitchy_R

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

Well, due to larger player base, there is no need to wait for more than 40 seconds into the battle. And, you will find so many clueless player and broadsiding player. But as (maybe everyone) states before, they are whiners. But, you already have the experience in SEA server, so no need to afraid of this salty-whiny players. Nah, ignore them. Also, if you want to increase your thread reach and community reputation, just make a bait post. Just like everyday CV post in their forum.

Edited by I_401
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Sign in to follow this