Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SakamotoCat

Epictenter is very bad, why it still here?

14 comments in this topic

13 posts
12,432 battles

This mode encourage pushing, BUT very punishing if not go center, most of the time battle will end very quickly because one team not able to get cap.  
This mode punish flank move, either you go straight in to support your poor DD, or your team lose objective and enemy win by point.
The encouragement of pushing is not a problem actually, but it just create too big skill gap on how to win in this mode.

Why epicenter point tick very fast when it's the hardest mode to flip cap?
Why the hell cyclone in middle of epicenter? it only strengthen the side that get the center (the winning team)

If both team go all in brawl in middle it will be okay match, but most of the time it just one side get the cap and win too quickly by point, and everyone got very little exp.

Edited by SakamotoCat
  • Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,837 posts
12,635 battles

Yeah, I used to not mind epicentre much, back when I played more DDs and stealth cruisers and the caps weren't independent of each other.

Of course, I'd spend most of the time hiding behind an island, poking out occasionally and dropping torps, smoking and firing.

Of course, now the caps are independent of each other, so you can't just sit behind an island in centre cap to protect everything.

Since I've been playing Charles Martel lately, I know that the mode is not suited to its playstyle.

If one team pushed the cap, while the other flanks, the flanking team will have the advantage and push from both directions.

So the strategy has to be, DDs go and contest cap with a few CLs covering them, everything else defend flanks. SEA server being what it is, everyone stays at range and tries to pick of everyone else. Ships that try to push to early, trying to complete objective, die and the team loses. Ships that push too late get forced back and team loses.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,234 posts
11,058 battles

I've never felt epicenter was intrinsically poor. Most games are domination this days, so its only a rare variation anyway, but most games seem to be OK.

I would say that epicenter doesn't work at high tiers so well - cough tearsofthedesert cough - for some reason. Probably,  as @Grygus_Triss says, if one side has a better ship roster - with the right kind of DD for example - vs the other that doesn't, the game ends up lopsided.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,837 posts
12,635 battles
1 minute ago, Rina_Pon said:

cough tearsofthedesert cough

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of specifically.

• Cool 1

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

The new Independent cap mechanic is very useful actually, and I like it. But for this mode, overall? Bad.

This is the mode when all player become passive and defensive. The CV become the King. BB force the Cruiser and DD to cap and they actually did nothing.  And sometimes what the team or enemy actually do is camping behind an Island.

• Cool 2

4,874 posts
8,859 battles

That mode only works if:

+ It's Ocean map. Any ship that goes in can be supported by friendly artillery, and not being helpless when outside allies shoot in only to have the f***ing islands block all their shots. 

Or

+  The map area shrinks down (like Halloween Twilight Battle Royale) which forces any outside sniper wannabe to come in. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SMOKE]
2,031 posts
16,242 battles

So I am the poor DD player in and among but I think the reworked Epic Center actually rather good ; what it does though is heavily penalizing bad team play. The objective is clear, dominate the circles  and if the mode proven team that only concentrate on flanking and out flanking the other team would lose by points, then I say the  mode is actually working its intended. Seen it many times, teams especially their BB and Super Cruisers, and plenty of CA just refuse to team up and push and contest the circles, and in the end they got a defeat despite the fact they kill more of the enemy team than losing their own.

The points system also reflect on the fact that not only the team need to contest for a cap but also need to exclude enemy team from the Areas ; its just a more demanding form of Dmination mode where the team must work as relatively tight group and formation to cap, protect, and defend the circles instead of choosing to goto another Area elsewhere ( there is really only 1 Area )

What the game mode does, is amplify any bad team play and any bad play and the enemy team will for sure exploit those mistakes but this is fair for both side and for all type of ships ( might be a bit too lenient on the CV as the surface ships are pretty much area locked now )  

[TLS]
4,198 posts
20,354 battles

It is not the mode that is the problem. It is the players. And a corrupt MM as well.

Also, Bring Back Bastion. (BBB)

4,874 posts
8,859 battles

#removeallmapsexceptOcean

Islands in this game are worse than Minortaur, Wusster and Small-length combined.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 2

[POI]
968 posts
10,543 battles

I actually like epicentre with the storm in the middle, only then I can push into the cap with my Secondary build GK 😛

Yes it is still very face-palming when only a few of your team mates contesting the cap while others stay at the back sniping. 

[BLESS]
1,234 posts
11,058 battles
4 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of specifically.

Funny we should be talking about this and then a couple of hours later this happens,

666051432_Screenshot(627).thumb.png.6393f86df76b3b7966941b90b3b06d10.png

What exactly happened here I have no idea. We were even on ships, the enemy had pushed with 3 BBs along the 9 line down into our spawn so I went to intercept. Looked back a few moments later to see all our BBs hugging the J line and Red owning the map. I believe one red DD had swept down the 2 line, forcing a general retreat because for some unknown reason our CV and cruisers couldn't deal with the threat.

But hey, I'm still not gonna dump on the epicenter game mode, even with tears or the desert. It calls for different strategy, and if we screwed up it's cause collectively we did the wrong thing... can't blame the map or the mode for that.

• Cool 2

[LGND]
526 posts
12,722 battles

this mode is okay actually in certain map, such as Ocean.....
i prefer this  mode on low tier 1~4 not on high tier......
what make this mode is bad is because combination with Tears of Desert.....
instead pushing together, this mode become DD Gladiator arena....

[TLS]
4,198 posts
20,354 battles

I have a feeling that maps and modes are tested with "best intentions that player base play actively" rather than player base just turtles up and plays not to die. Anyway, it is the playerbase that needs reworking, not the cv or what not. 

It all boils down to does my team want to win as much as I do. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this