Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Project45_Opytny

A Killer Whale rant post

28 comments in this topic

1,448 posts
6,160 battles

Yes, Killer Whale has been known as a simple operation that requires little skill even after the massive buff to Bot intelligence and accuracy in Patch 0.7.3 and is almost ideal for grinding T6 ships. However recently I have run into a number of instances that the team misses a star or failing the operation.

In an earlier case, a surviving member of the team entered the Rendezvous circle prematurely and caused a 4-star game. There was enough time for the carrier to torpedo and sink the sole remaining secondary goal, Ishizuchi, and as a result that guy costed us one star.

And just now I have experienced another very frustrating Killer Whale run. I was in my battle-hardened Aoba grinding for the Midway personal missions (mainly for the free 6-pointer captains), and everything went well until we demolished the port facilities. Then... then... even with the Rendezvous circle in Square F1 stated in Briefing and marked on minimap, the team members, besides a Budyonny who went up to the north and did her job wonderfully, decided to camp inside the port until the last minute.

And at least two of them are definitely not bots. I had a conversation with a player piloting a stock-hull Bayern about the ship's wonky accuracy and the incoming German BB buff. Another player replied to me in Chinese Pinyin and confirmed that he is possibly new to the operation.

20191122_181041_PJSC007-Aoba-1943_s01_NavalBase.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,187 posts
20,354 battles

pat pats. yoshi yoshi~

Not as infuriating as the damage farmers that delay exiting and then the whole op goes to crap because there is no one who can make the exit in time. Join our wolfpack and you will find someone to assist.

1,448 posts
6,160 battles
3 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

pat pats. yoshi yoshi~

Not as infuriating as the damage farmers that delay exiting and then the whole op goes to crap because there is no one who can make the exit in time. Join our wolfpack and you will find someone to assist.

To be honest, I have always been a selfish damage farmer when using cruisers in Killer Whale: I would charge into the port from the "Central" gap (with a Karlsruhe guarding there), demolishing the coastal battery while running straight to the mooring berth and slaughter those poor Cimarrons when I enter the range (and even caused a teammate to yell "f**k you" when I managed to claim all the 5 tankers and get a "Shark among Shrimps"). They are literally floating EXP pinatas: once I have ranked first on the scoreboard even though I did nothing but attacking them, another time I managed to make 1901 base XP in a 4-star game (an enemy entered the port) as I sunk all the 5 tankers by myself and then carried the whole team together with our CV.

Also thanks for your invitation. I would consider that later :)

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

A lot of players think the operation is just another game modes to keep us relaxed from Random Battles. And because the enemy are AI, they tend to forget the objective and farm more and more damage and think they will get a bunch of EXP and Credits. What they don't know is, losing one stars, also resulting in significant reduce of received Credits and EXP.

But they don't care. And the things happens. Losing one or couple of your stars, or even losing the whole operation! 

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,020 posts
16,216 battles

same thing for all ops, people who are too into just farming instead of actually completing the Op and the main objectives

[CLAY]
2,836 posts
12,634 battles
2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

To be honest, I have always been a selfish damage farmer when using cruisers in Killer Whale: I would charge into the port from the "Central" gap (with a Karlsruhe guarding there), demolishing the coastal battery while running straight to the mooring berth and slaughter those poor Cimarrons when I enter the range (and even caused a teammate to yell "f**k you" when I managed to claim all the 5 tankers and get a "Shark among Shrimps"). They are literally floating EXP pinatas: once I have ranked first on the scoreboard even though I did nothing but attacking them, another time I managed to make 1901 base XP in a 4-star game (an enemy entered the port) as I sunk all the 5 tankers by myself and then carried the whole team together with our CV.

Also thanks for your invitation. I would consider that later 🙂

Yeah, I usually try to play Ops to win, so I prioritise  shooting at stuff that shoots back, even when I'm in a sub optimal ship for it. Then, once they're dead and it felt like it took ages to kill, a turn around and find all the transports dead.

But that's me, mission comes first, protecting team by sinking enemies takes priority.

1 hour ago, Mechfori said:

same thing for all ops, people who are too into just farming instead of actually completing the Op and the main objectives

These days, I primarily use ops for easy completion of daily missions. 6 good runs can get them done easy. Unfortunately, you actually need to a. win and b. get a lot of stars, especially in the second mission, so I run into problems when dealing with players who either don't know how to play, or don't care. Want to farm damage? go co-op. Want to lose? go random. Want to win and get XP and stuff? Play operations right.

• Cool 2

[-CAT-]
2,460 posts
11,553 battles

4 stars are better than no stars.

If i can't make it to the exit, I will banzai myself for the team to succeed. GG.

Of course there are times that farmers will not go into the exit until it is too late. 0 stars.:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 4

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles

Most common mistakes that people have done recently in this operation is being careless to look at time and objectives. 

4,865 posts
8,859 battles
52 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

***** > **** > *** > ** > * > your team sucks

> Completed all 5 side objectives

> no one is in the zone when timer ends

:cap_like:

Edited by Paladinum

[MRI]
3,602 posts
15,476 battles

Yes, Killer Whale is one of the most frustrating Operations for me. Not because it is hard or anything, in fact it is the complete opposite. But rather because this Operation is so easy and boring and yet people are somehow able to stuff it up.

Seriously, the Op sometimes leads me to believe that some WoWs players are illiterate.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
2,433 posts
12,277 battles
4 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Seriously, the Op sometimes leads me to believe that some WoWs players are illiterate

Some of them cannot or do not read the objectives. So you're not really wrong.

• Cool 1

1,448 posts
6,160 battles

Some update...

I ran into another instance in which the team refuse to exit the harbor despite all secondary objectives completed last night right after this rant post. Though all of the following games were all very satisfactory.

20191122_194712_PJSC007-Aoba-1943_s01_NavalBase.wowsreplay

With the current Daily Mission requirements, 4 runs in Scenario Operations is indeed the most efficent way to collect the 400 coal offered every day, as I usually complete the first two stages that do not require victories through grinding new ships in random battles.

Very ironically, in both the two failed runs we have an actively-chatting team (in simplified Chinese). In the first case, one team member admitted that he is new to the operation and another one in a stock-hull Bayern replied that he does not dare to exit the harbor as the cruisers and destroyers (a Farragut was even smoke-camping) were all camping inside. In the second case the blame should be put on the cruisers of the team (including myself) as the two Trentos were all in pretty rough shape (and I was directly deleted by that mooring Konig) and as a result did not dare to venture out. Trento is indeed a very fragile cruiser like Kirov, however, with proper positioning, Molotov can yield surprising results in at least Aegis and Killer Whale. I recalled an even ealier instance in which a Graf Spee in our team refuse to exit the harbor as he claimed Spee was weak against destroyers. He finally moved out and get into the circle in time after a friendly Nurnberg charged out and finished off that puny V-25.

[TLS]
4,187 posts
20,354 battles

If your team is in bad shape, go for the exit with less stars rather than zero stars. If your team thinks they can get 5 stars, go for it. Except make sure that is one person (usually CV) near the exit in case things go horribly wrong. At least you still can salvage stars. Remember you need (number of ships/2) rounded up to escape. Full fleet needs 4, 6 and 5 need 3, 4 and 3 need 2, 2 and 1 need 1. And 0 needs.. oh wait. Your team sucks if it is 0. A tip, sometimes the furthest ship suiciding actually helps the win because you need less ships.

[FORCE]
2,433 posts
12,277 battles
5 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

A tip, sometimes the furthest ship suiciding actually helps the win because you need less ships.

Bonus points if they go down with one last quote.

For the Empire! *proceeds to charge towards the remaining enemy fleet.

[MRI]
3,602 posts
15,476 battles
13 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

In the second case the blame should be put on the cruisers of the team (including myself) as the two Trentos were all in pretty rough shape (and I was directly deleted by that mooring Konig) and as a result did not dare to venture out. Trento is indeed a very fragile cruiser like Kirov, however, with proper positioning, Molotov can yield surprising results in at least Aegis and Killer Whale. I recalled an even ealier instance in which a Graf Spee in our team refuse to exit the harbor as he claimed Spee was weak against destroyers. He finally moved out and get into the circle in time after a friendly Nurnberg charged out and finished off that puny V-25. 

Yeah the moored Koenig can be quite a pain. Because it is angled there is no quick way of taking it down unless your team has a CV, or a DD is able to torp it from its unblocked side. The guy in the Graf Spee does have a point - that ship is ridiculously weak against DDs. But that doesn't mean he should just camp in the harbour though, but he should be accompanied by others when moving out.

Imo this Op should be done with 1 CV, maybe a couple of DDs and the rest cruisers (except Graf Spee). BBs aren't very useful imo, too slow to get anywhere and do anything.

1,448 posts
6,160 battles
1 minute ago, Thyaliad said:

Yeah the moored Koenig can be quite a pain. Because it is angled there is no quick way of taking it down unless your team has a CV, or a DD is able to torp it from its unblocked side. The guy in the Graf Spee does have a point - that ship is ridiculously weak against DDs. But that doesn't mean he should just camp in the harbour though, but he should be accompanied by others when moving out.

Imo this Op should be done with 1 CV, maybe a couple of DDs and the rest cruisers (except Graf Spee). BBs aren't very useful imo, too slow to get anywhere and do anything.

I have once used Killer Whale to help grind Izmail and it worked well. Fast enough to get into the harbor (the key to the XP earning potential in these operation seems to be the 5 Cimarron tankers) and with a powerful broadside to demolish the battleships, and it is very easy to keep angled with basic skills and knowledge about gameplay. It is very painful and frustrating for most other slow battleships (Fuso, Mutsu, NM, WV '41, QE, Warspite and Bayern) indeed though. I have seen one player suggested that slow dreadnoughts should directly sail to Square A8 and wait for the two enemies who would spawn nearby after help the team knocking out the coastal batteries, as they are indeed too slow to get deep inside and do much damage. Sometimes a destroyer would also do that, and there are instances that a destroyer elected to remain outside and wait to ambush the Reinforcements directly next to their spawn points.

I feel CVs are rather frequent for this operation recently. And most games both the Konig and the K. Albert would succumb to the combined effort of the whole team: HE spam and fire, torpedoes from surface combatants and airstrikes.

I have also tried Trento for this mission for the first time, and the result was mixed IMO: though there are many tough German dreadnoughts, SAP shells are murderous against soft-skinned targets like destroyers, oil tankers and protected cruisers (Kolberg). However she is very fragile (even more fragile than Pensacola), no hydro make it more difficult when facing the V-25 and Wakatake (while a typical PvP build would choose SI as the first 3-pointer skill), and with these ships' close encounters, the effectiveness of the gimmicky smoke is also questionable. Though with better positioning I may yield better results and carry the team harder next time in Trento (the team did get 5 stars).

[TLS]
4,187 posts
20,354 battles
28 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

The guy in the Graf Spee does have a point - that ship is ridiculously weak against DDs. But that doesn't mean he should just camp in the harbour though, but he should be accompanied by others when moving out.

Lame excuse. If that pathetic against dd, why bring it along when you know it is going to be useless? I have taken disgustingly useless NM into Killer Whale and I still try to do useful things instead of sitting around like a useless scrap pile.

29 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Fat american/british BBs aren't very useful -period-

There. Corrected. Fuso/PEF/Izmail = useful. On a good day, fuso's volleys kill. PEF is amazingly good in ops. Pew Pew. Izmail has the blessings of Stalin.

6 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I have also tried Trento for this mission for the first time

Let's not talk about the consistency of spaghetti cruisers.

[MRI]
3,602 posts
15,476 battles
5 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Lame excuse. If that pathetic against dd, why bring it along when you know it is going to be useless?

Maybe to complete the HSF Graf Spee missions for the HSF containers? :Smile-_tongue:

Because I have been doing that too. :Smile_hiding:

[FORCE]
2,433 posts
12,277 battles
8 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Lame excuse. If that pathetic against dd, why bring it along when you know it is going to be useless?

Because they don't have HSF Harekaze, and/or too prideful to get Musashi back then. *hurr durr wHy BuY mUsAsHi If YaMaTo Is BeTtEr?

1,448 posts
6,160 battles
8 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Maybe to complete the HSF Graf Spee missions for the HSF containers? :Smile-_tongue:

Because I have been doing that too. :Smile_hiding:

4 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Because they don't have HSF Harekaze, and/or too prideful to get Musashi back then. *hurr durr wHy BuY mUsAsHi If YaMaTo Is BeTtEr?

I recall that time seemed to be a "regular" Graf Spee though I do have seen an HSF Graf Spee running Killer Whale recently once. Also that Spee and the said Nurnberg together with an Ark Royal were divisioned.

• Cool 1

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles
15 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Nah, BBs are pretty good too. Maybe you don't have the tactics to effectively contributes to the team while at the same time farms a reasonable amount of damage.

Usually when I use slow BBs and have my entire team full of cruisers, I will go north and finishes the two forts, the Kolberg, and Kaiser. And then proceed to distract the third wave from entering the haven.

For fast BBs I'll keep yoloing until the enemy dies and then return to rendezvous point.

[MRI]
3,602 posts
15,476 battles
16 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Nah, BBs are pretty good too. Maybe you don't have the tactics to effectively contributes to the team while at the same time farms a reasonable amount of damage.

Usually when I use slow BBs and have my entire team full of cruisers, I will go north and finishes the two forts, the Kolberg, and Kaiser. And then proceed to distract the third wave from entering the haven.

For fast BBs I'll keep yoloing until the enemy dies and then return to rendezvous point.

Well I never liked the idea of camping the enemy spawns while the rest of the team does the work. If that is the only way to use BBs effectively on this Op then count me out. Also I have seen others doing this in DDs and cruisers so it is not as though it is a job only BBs can do.

[TLS]
4,187 posts
20,354 battles
54 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Sacrificial New Mex. The only thing it can do effectively in Killer Whale.

35 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Also I have seen others doing this in DDs and cruisers so it is not as though it is a job only BBs can do.

And these campers end up in the bottom half of the xp table. >_>

[CLAY]
2,836 posts
12,634 battles

I've never found BBs especially bad in this op, with adequate cruiser support.

I'll often use PEF & Dunkerque to get right in close and engage those Star Destroyers battleships at point blank range, and still be able to get out on time easily enough.

Not that I've played them in ops much, but Normandie and Izmail would be capable of similar.

Fuso and Bayern sit around the middle in terms of speed. I can't really comment on Bayern, but Fuso's 12x long range, accurate guns compensate adequately, IMO, and she's a decent ship for the op.

With your slower BBs, I find its easier to sit around just inside the bay and provide fire support from there. Yes, its difficult with angled BBs, was much more rewarding with a CV, if allied CV didn't snipe it first, but its workable.

The second part of the Op is when the BBs really help. If they positioned correctly, i.e didn't go all the way in, they can simply turn around and go towards the enemy reinforcements. They aren't great against the DDs, but the DDs come closer soon enough and I find that large calibre HE works well at close range. And a little WASD hack usually keeps you alive. Other than that, provided you don't eat a few torps, you can tank the enemy fire from the BBs and cruisers quite easily, keeping your team safe. And provide enough firepower to sink said BBs and CLs, especially when 3rd and 4th enemy reinforcements come in.

And unless you were the one who went to deal with the reinforcements away from the end point, you'll still easily make it to the end in time, provided you remain aware of your time and position.

Yes, lack of speed may hurt, and ROF may mean you cannot deal with multiple enemies that quickly, but HP, armor and massive damage in one shot for when you really want an enemy to die fast makes up for it.

Sign in to follow this