You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Has skill level taken a nosedive again?

28 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,245 posts
11,128 battles

A few updates ago I went through a spell where every second match was a wipe. Either we obliterated the enemy team, or the same happened to us.

Things got better for a while, but since 0.8.10 dropped, it seems to be happening all over again. Based on last night's games, in domination all three caps would be red or green by the ten minute mark, with the losing team sitting on the J line. In regular battles, losing team would already be down 8 ships.

It's habitual to blame the DDs, but most of the time from my perspective it was 2 or 3 BBs who were at fault by not pushing or tanking mid-game, either because they didn't move up in time or just went so far offside as to miss the battle completely. By the time they came back into play it was already over. Sure, there's an argument to be made that that cruisers and DDs should fall back to match the BB positions, but at the point of the game I'm talking about the course of action was crystal clear: We had no caps, the enemy had three, we're down points. "retreat and defend" is not on the table as a viable strategy here folks...

Since it was back-to-back CV games last night at mid-tier, I wonder if CV skill disparity had something to do with it. If your CV gets overwhelmed or is just incompetent, all ships on the team become reluctant to move up. Maybe it's just that ...

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles
15 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Since it was back-to-back CV games last night at mid-tier, I wonder if CV skill disparity had something to do with it. If your CV gets overwhelmed or is just incompetent, all ships on the team become reluctant to move up. Maybe it's just that ...

"CV skill gap is not supposed to exist or is minimized after rework."

YEAH RIGHT.

But to answer the first part, probably because the usual randoms are in coop grind out the objectives? I'm seeing quite a lot of activity in coop lately.

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles

6 random battles last night,  and not 1 CV  ... tier 8, 9 & 10. very strange.

[AN-DO]
680 posts
9,978 battles
22 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

Are you sure you were actually playing WoWS and not just in bed dreaming about what it could be like? :fish_sleep:

• Funny 1

[BLESS]
1,245 posts
11,128 battles
47 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

I see the CV population dry up quickly after midnight.  Throughout the early evening though, it was jam packed - though I was mostly playing T6-7 yesterday.

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles
3 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I see the CV population dry up quickly after midnight.  Throughout the early evening though, it was jam packed - though I was mostly playing T6-7 yesterday.

Maybe the CV players need to sleep as well? >_>

[FORCE]
2,479 posts
12,348 battles

The main problem is nobody wants to take some calculated risk nowadays. And I think this problem is not exclusively on Asia server, some CCs also state the same problem exists on NA server although I have seen it myself it is not as bad as on Asia yet.

I think this problem has been encouraged by one thing, damage-based reward system. This system basically forces anyone to farm damage rather than to play the objectives through teamwork which of course requires anyone to survive as long as possible as they rack up the damage counter. And I don't think this problem can ever be solved without reworking the current reward system.

I've been playing in an unorthodox way which sometimes actually help the team to win even if I get killed by doing so. However when it turns out badly, I can expect to see the "You were reported 'x' times", which I never care about at all to begin with.

The current report system also needs to be reworked or scrapped entirely because it only reduces the suspect's karma, but it is never useful to deal with the actual violators. Players are still required to send tickets with proper evidences in the customer service section which is only accessible in WG's site, not in the game client. The same system also encourages players to remain passive just to avoid getting reported, and be depressed because of it.

• Cool 3

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles

@Sir_FeatherOn the spot. What I find is whatever the trend/meta, Asia is usually the first to exploit it because in general, our players have the "extract most out of situation", "most efficient returns", "most rewards, least risk" mentality. Even I am prone to that maximize returns, minimize risk, behaviour especially in ops. 

The issue is that the devs don't care about these small quality of life improvements in gameplay over the content. And no, improving graphics does not count as QoL improvement. It is pointless fluff. Neither are sound improvements. 

[O7]
2,675 posts
17,680 battles

No it's just me sorry. I've been distracted. I know it's all my fault because I'm constantly not dying in the first 5 minutes so I hear how much it's my fault for the rest of the match. Soz.

[MRI]
3,615 posts
15,541 battles
9 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Nah. Because I have seen such hopeless behavior even in non-CV games.

6 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

The main problem is nobody wants to take some calculated risk nowadays. And I think this problem is not exclusively on Asia server, some CCs also state the same problem exists on NA server although I have seen it myself it is not as bad as on Asia yet.

I think this problem has been encouraged by one thing, damage-based reward system. This system basically forces anyone to farm damage rather than to play the objectives through teamwork which of course requires anyone to survive as long as possible as they rack up the damage counter. And I don't think this problem can ever be solved without reworking the current reward system.

This.

The problem might be the worst on the Asia server, but this is not the only server with this problem. I have read posts on NA and CCs stating the same problem in NA.

The issue is the game greatly rewards you for doing damage, and you can't do damage if you are dead.

And it doesn't help that when newbies ask for tips, the first advice they often get is to stay alive. While that advice is not wrong, it doesn't tell the complete story. Because staying alive is a means to an end, not an end in itself. And that end is winning the game. Staying alive is important for winning, but if staying alive doesn't help with winning then it is pointless.

This is compounded by many players being unfamiliar with the capabilities of their ships and their enemies, so they will play too safely because they overestimate how much damage they will take.

• Cool 2

[-CAT-]
2,546 posts
11,652 battles
6 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

Spot on.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
5,830 battles

I blame BB and/or CL/CA for being  a Coward and a failure main just because of a fear of CV and DD being around. I mean like a single plane squadron or a lone destroyer already caused too much panic to them and stay far back. Next time if i got submarines, the camping BB is gonna have their own taste of their medicine. Nowadays every single time when we are about to push, some cowards in their shinies premium cant take a few risk of tanking.

I blame Premium BB/ CL CA ship players as well for being such a incompetent plobs because of how much they dropped down like flies while the enemy teams didnt even died.. Such a waste of money but dont know how to actually play or win.

I mostly gonna curse about : Noob premium teams, why bother buying premium ships when you dont know very damn well about winning.

Like i said, Whats the point when you got a High Tier ship but plays like a Unpaid Intern.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

4,942 posts
8,860 battles

That's why this game needs Team Deathmatch Respawn system :fish_book:

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
5,830 battles
Just now, Paladinum said:

That's why this game needs Team Deathmatch Respawn system :fish_book:

Want to be Gaijin?

4,942 posts
8,860 battles
Just now, LawrenceXVIII said:

Want to be Gaijin?

I don't care what that is, respawning is good for a team vs team game.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
5,830 battles

I don't care what that is, respawning is good for a team vs team game.

Lmao , this aint Warthunder for Respawning.

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles

I forgot what I wanted to say. 

OH YES!

If it is bad in the middle of the week, it is just the calm before the storm...

NOOB WEEKEND IS UPON US! OH NOES!

SCUTTLE YE SHIPS!

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
5,830 battles
1 minute ago, dejiko_nyo said:

I forgot what I wanted to say. 

OH YES!

If it is bad in the middle of the week, it is just the calm before the storm...

NOOB WEEKEND IS UPON US! OH NOES!

SCUTTLE YE SHIPS!

OH NOES TOMORROW IS SATURDAY!!!

You know what it means ?

It means :

6976_OMEGAWHEELCHAIR.gif

4,942 posts
8,860 battles
10 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Lmao , this aint Warthunder for Respawning.

So what? Even with respawn mode, this game is different enough from WT, being severely arcady.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
5,830 battles

So what? Even with respawn mode, this game is different enough from WT, being severely arcady.

Make is severe Arcadey some more like installing autoloaders on their gun up to 260mm cannons.

[SMOKE]
2,063 posts
16,310 battles

Seriously I do think it would be a good thing if we could had the ( new ) Epic Center with re-spawn ; though if its me I would thrown in some restriction ; say for DD they would respawn full health, CL would respawn 4/5 HP, CA would respawn 3/5 and BB would respawn 1/2 , otherwise you can be sure that most big guns will abuse the mechanism. 

[4RSE]
320 posts
7,877 battles

Been experiencing a lot of failed teams all week, 8 out of 10 games being total white washes, mostly my team being wiped out in under 12 minutes every time. I keep seeing BB's hiding behind islands and not firing their guns at all, and these have not all been premium ships, I'm talking about tech tree Tier 7 + ships. I've also been encountering teams that are obviously co-ordinating because I can go from being unspotted to being spotted and focused by 4 to 5 players in an instant, one match my Bismarck was destroyed withing 1 minute, all I could do was fire 2 salvoes at the enemy Tirpitz who was in the open while 3 cruisers and a DD (all hidden in smoke) burned me to death. I managed to turn around without getting citadelled, but that was all, the HE spam was brutal. The ships with me on that flank all turned around and ran without firing a single shot. Needless to say, that team was all dead in under 10 minutes. The red team did not lose a single ship.

I think I have had just 4 wins out of 20 battles this week, it's depressing, and I usually quit the game after 5 loses in a row.

[CLAY]
2,847 posts
12,661 battles

Yeah, I've been seeing a few failures lately as well. Mostly my own :Smile-_tongue:

Ok, well, while I have been pretty tired and not performing at peak, there has also been a lot of so-so teams, mostly ones which won't push, or won't spot. Currently playing the Charles Martel, which suffers from lack of spotting and lack of more appetising, easier to hit friendly ships nearby.

Oh well, slightly annoying, but can't really complain if my skills aren't always stellar either. Most lost battles I end up mid to high in score, but depends if I make stupid mistakes and die early because of the lack of spotting or support thing.

Or if I over extend because I'm in a super fast CA :Smile_hiding: