Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SidTheKnife

Tips for New Players: DO NOT invest in IJN Battleships or Cruisers DO invest in IJN Destroyers

43 comments in this topic

75 posts
2,030 battles

As a new player, I really enjoy the IJN DD line. The torp boats are loads of fun.

I am also very much enjoying the Russian cruisers and Battleships. Also loads of fun.

The IJN cruisers and BBs, however, have left me regretting that I invested time in them. I wish I had not bothered, and had started with a different nationality.

Why is this?

Simply put, the citadels. IJN ships are very easy to destroy. Very often, and I mean VERY often, you die in one hit. In other ships, such as Russian or American ships, you can brawl and endure a fight, often dying, but not without having some input. IJN ships simply explode very often, because they are designed with very large citadels.

Now, this is not a "problem" with the game. The idea is that you can sit at the back, and kite the battle, using superior range to avoid the damage. This is very boring and difficult for new players, and it is made worse because everyone will target you first. Why? Because they want the citadel strike. I do this, when playing russian and US ships. If I see an IJN ship, I go for it. Citadels are great fun, searching for them is interesting and rewarding game play.

Therefore, if you play IJN, you will be bait. Everyone will go for you, and you will very often be deleted in one strike, even by ships of your own tier. I have had the Mogami, a Tier 8 battlecruiser, deleted by another tier 8 ship in one volley. This is not unusual. It happens. You have big exposed citadels.

So, unless you enjoy being the whipping boy for the rest of the players, leave the IJN cruiser and BB lines for later, when you are more experienced with kiting and manoeuvre. 

Another thing is the guns. They are tedious. Nearly the entire cruiser line has the same 203mm gun, and they are intended to be used for "HE" spam. You will spend a lot of time shooting at long range, using HE, hoping to set fire to ships. Other players will get the citadels, and the kills. You will be a "team player", and hunted down for your own large citadels.

Lastly, there is very little variation in the line of ships. Each is very much like the one before. The guns are the same, the large citadels are the same. The long range where HE spamming is the only viable choice is the same. I am at tier 8, and totally bored with IJN Cruisers and Battleships. Worse, everyone says the tier IXs are more of the same, and weak for their tier and type, so it will be a crazy boring grind to get to the Zao and Yamato.

However, the IJN Destroyer line is mad fun. I have not really played other DDs, but they all look a little lame to me, in comparison. I have enjoyed the IJN DD experience very much, and will keep playing them, looking for tier X. DD life can be short, but you can get kills, you are dangerous, and not just bait for other players.

Edited by SidTheKnife

[-CAT-]
2,490 posts
11,585 battles
51 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Which line? There are 2 of them.

Soon to be 3 lines.

A "possible" 3rd line soon. :Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding:

Edited by S0und_Theif

4,886 posts
8,860 battles
1 minute ago, S0und_Theif said:

Soon to be 3 lines. :Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding:

NOT confirmed.

75 posts
2,030 battles
6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Which line? There are 2 of them.

I am loving the Mutsuki line, but the Minekaze also looks good.

Both Mutsuki and Minekaze are difficult. Drove me nuts, in fact. I hated the Minekaze.

However, they will get you trained up, and the Fubuki onwards are awesome.

[-CAT-]
2,490 posts
11,585 battles
43 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

NOT confirmed.

I just realized that the words I used came out wrong and leaves a wrong impression. Corrected now. Thanks.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[-CAT-]
2,490 posts
11,585 battles

If you like to torp, go with fubuki line.

If you like to shoot, go with hatsuharu line. But, you will have to wait till T8 to go full dakka.

The warning comes after the spells ships.

Edited by S0und_Theif

4,886 posts
8,860 battles
1 hour ago, SidTheKnife said:

I am loving the Mutsuki line, but the Minekaze also looks good.

Both Mutsuki and Minekaze are difficult. Drove me nuts, in fact. I hated the Minekaze.

However, they will get you trained up, and the Fubuki onwards are awesome.

I'm way past those tiers to remember what they are anymore.

Edited by Paladinum

[KAMI]
1,547 posts
12,769 battles
16 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Right now, invest in USN DDs. Or French? Or Soviet?

why play khaba when u can get kleber 

immune to bb ap pen

faster further t0rp

Edited by Gummilicious

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,566 battles

1 hour ago, SidTheKnife said:

~snip~

this is... so wrong im not even sure where to start

IJN ships are about as easy to pick off as most other ships of their class (with certain exceptions), and while they are somewhat powercreeped compared to some of the newer lines, the mid tier ships are by no means just bad

for the CAs, they arnt as good as before but they still have decent guns are NOT "team player" ships you jack off in the back farming damage with HE while you wait for your team to carry you, if you are being "hunted down" then that means that you are either too exposed or out of position. dont be a easy target, learn to dodge, juke, and angle your ship, it's one of the better lines to grind for new players because of the consistency of the ship design means that skill learned from past ships carries over easier to the next tier. zao is still shit tho.

for BBs.... no, just no

almost all the IJN BBs have very good armor compared to their peers, ESPECIALLY the T8, stop showing broadsides and you won't get deleted. the guns are normally the best of any ship's tier for tier all the way up to T10 with the exception of Kawachi, but people get past that flaming piece of turd in just a day so it's not considered important.  the main thing is that they are the most "traditional gunships in the game and is the best line to learn how to be efficient at range against enemy ships

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 2

338 posts
6,754 battles

Hot take:

New players should start in the IJN line for all 4 ship types (DD, BB, cruiser, CV) because they punish poor play and doesn't make players develop braindead habits.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,211 posts
20,361 battles
30 minutes ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

Hot take:

New players should start in the IJN line for all 4 ship types (DD, BB, cruiser, CV) because they punish poor play and doesn't make players develop braindead habits.

/me looks at the first completed CA, BB, DD, CV lines... IJN >_>

[MRI]
3,610 posts
15,502 battles
45 minutes ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

I somewhat agree. Imo newbies should start with all 4 classes for both the USN and IJN lines.

Because they are the most straightforward and the least gimmicky out of all the nations.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,745 posts
5,766 battles

I dont even farm IJN lines yet. Except of course Akatsuki.

[AN-DO]
676 posts
9,956 battles

I would reverse the title, and say new players should not play IJN DDs but they should play IJN BBs.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,840 posts
12,642 battles

Wait, are IJN DDs good again? (Or just the gunboat line). Because when I started 3ish years ago they were considered non competitive because they relied almost completely on torpedos and couldn’t take anything in a gunfight and they couldn’t contest caps.

Not that I still don’t love them, but they, or the torpedo line anyway, has been severely powercreeped. Though recent buffs have improved them somewhat.

And yes, I grinded the IJN lines first. Mostly because I wanted Yamato.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
Stupid iPad spellcheck doesn’t accept ‘grinded’ as a word so autocorrected it to ‘grinned’.

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles
35 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

And yes, I grinned the IJN lines first. Mostly because I wanted Yamato.

and I'm grinning too, that's what I did also :)

[CLAY]
2,840 posts
12,642 battles
1 hour ago, Otago_F111 said:

and I'm grinning too, that's what I did also 🙂

Stupid autocorrect...

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

Just play IJN BB. EZ

• Cool 3

[FORCE]
2,451 posts
12,288 battles
5 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Wait, are IJN DDs good again? (Or just the gunboat line). Because when I started 3ish years ago they were considered non competitive because they relied almost completely on torpedos and couldn’t take anything in a gunfight and they couldn’t contest caps.

All IJN torpboats with twin 127mm guns have their gun alpha damage buffed a lot. Mid tier UK DDs have trouble to out-trade them because those guns hit really hard, and their flat ballistic makes aiming easier. They are ok at best after the buff, or borderline good. They still need to stay away from French DDs.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,211 posts
20,361 battles

Alpha damage buff to me is just a inconsequential buff because it relies on the ability to connect with the target. I would rather buff the RoF for the torpedoboats. Speaking of which, the torpedoboat line were still better gunboats until the Akizuki. Also, when I read torpedoboat, I expect torpedo spam.

Sign in to follow this