Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SMMSKaiserinCelestia

Should the German BB line be removed?

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
5 posts
289 battles

Given the current meta of HE spam and Russian battleships literally dominating everything, anything with a large HP pool just sinks quickly. And the Germans have taken a beating from that. Their inaccurate guns cant even hit a large mountain at long range, their HP melts away quickly and they are mostly geared for close range combat which quickly is thwarted by HE spam. I myself had been a German BB main but giving the abysmal performance of my T6 BB, SMS Bayern in Random Battles (I did play Coop for some time just to take a break) I am now thinking of shifting elsewhere, maybe the Russian BBs. So my question now is this: Should the German BBs be removed because of their abysmal stats and performance? 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,186
[CLAY]
Member
2,840 posts
12,654 battles

... NO!

I am against the removal of any line, and to remove a line simply because it doesn’t perform is a slap in the face to people who actually collect the ships. If they removed lines that didn’t work, we’d just end up with one line of all the best ships, and where’s the fun in that.

Besides, German BBs are still fun in operations and co op.

No, in cases where ships have been powercrept, or otherwise are not performing competitatvly enough, you need to buff them instead.

Which is what WG are doing:

So not losing them any time soon.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,589
Member
4,896 posts
8,860 battles

Oh wow. Really. Really.

Well everything has its first, but why this thread was even created is beyond human understanding.

 

Anywho, the best ships in any line are usually the Tier 8/9/10 and so you're still a long way to go. While yes the German BBs have been in a horrible state in a lengthy period of time, and they in dire needs of buffs, wanting to remove an entire ship line is just the salt speaking. (I'm looking at you too, "remove CVs" crowd).

I enjoy the Konig. However, Bayern is in an even less fortunate situation, and her reload time is NOT historical (should be much much faster).

Right now, the skill floor for German BBs is higher than most other BB lines for sure.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,935
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,643 posts
7,799 battles
16 minutes ago, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

Should the German BBs be removed because of their abysmal stats and performance? 

What's with all the crazy threads today?   Italian cruisers are OP.  KMBBs are so underpowered they should be removed.   Did someone put something in the water around here?

 

Ill take my Derpitz, Bissy or GK up against anything.   (FDG, maybe not as its the true shitter of the line), but you need to really play up the line to truly see what they can do.  Sure they aren't the ideal ships in the current meta, but they certainly aren't weak

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,186
[CLAY]
Member
2,840 posts
12,654 battles
1 minute ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

What's with all the crazy threads today?   Italian cruisers are OP.  KMBBs are so underpowered they should be removed.   Did someone put something in the water around here?

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Since so many of our former posters have jumped ship to NA, many new posters have decided to rise up to take their place, posting their senseless threads without fear of reprisal.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,935
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,643 posts
7,799 battles
Just now, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

I literally saw that after posting my question. However should I change lines?

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
5 posts
289 battles
1 minute ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Why?

SMS Bayern (my top ship at the moment) does not perform as consistently as I hoped, even after watching guides on how to play her and fitting her out as per her strengths. Anything I try to do appears to get immediately thwarted by the enemy (Or maybe that's just me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[TF44]
Member
464 posts
20,453 battles

On the contrary, stomping battles are usually led by heroic KM BB Commander followed by competent team mates. Rng for such battles on your side will be questionable though.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,935
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,643 posts
7,799 battles
1 minute ago, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

SMS Bayern (my top ship at the moment) does not perform as consistently as I hoped, even after watching guides on how to play her and fitting her out as per her strengths. Anything I try to do appears to get immediately thwarted by the enemy (Or maybe that's just me).

Its a low tier BB.  They are all generally unpleasant and you have about 30 games in it.  Most people with your level of games have unskilled commanders and no upgrades which make the ships even worse to play.  Its a very very good line of ships which truly starts to shine from the Gneis onwards (apart from the FDG which couldn't hit the ocean if you shot at it) 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
331
[-ISO-]
Member
1,062 posts
6,286 battles
35 minutes ago, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

Should the German BBs be removed because of their abysmal stats and performance? 

No. Absolutely no. Just because a ship is abysmally underpowered that doesn't mean it has to be removed. Perhaps you don't see their full potential. 

17 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Right now, the skill floor for German BBs is higher than most other BB lines for sure.

I once have a thought that WG meant to made German BBs like that. A though line to grind but if you play it well, it will give you a nice reward.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
5 posts
289 battles
2 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Right now, the skill floor for German BBs is higher than most other BB lines for sure. 

I thought German BBs were good for newcomers. I have always read that on forums elsewhere and maybe a confession that I wanted to get Bismarck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,448 posts
6,173 battles
1 minute ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Its a low tier BB.  They are all generally unpleasant and you have about 30 games in it.  Most people with your level of games have unskilled commanders and no upgrades which make the ships even worse to play.  Its a very very good line of ships which truly starts to shine from the Gneis onwards (apart from the FDG which couldn't hit the ocean if you shot at it) 

Also personally speaking I feel that the Konig at T5 has somewhat better and more consistent main battery performance compared with the majority of other German BBs. I actually have a main-battery focused build with my Konig and it does work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
5 posts
289 battles
2 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Also personally speaking I feel that the Konig at T5 has somewhat better and more consistent main battery performance compared with the majority of other German BBs. I actually have a main-battery focused build with my Konig and it does work.

Wait a minute, I had a main battery build on Konig previously but she still couldn't hit anything at range. I heard she had accurate guns but while in a match I learned from a teammate that Konig's sigma has been reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,448 posts
6,173 battles
1 minute ago, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

I thought German BBs were good for newcomers. I have always read that on forums elsewhere and maybe a confession that I wanted to get Bismarck.

Perhaps that's true until Bayern. As most of the lower tiers' battleships' accuracy are wonky and the German turtleback armour scheme can reliably protect your citadel at most occasions in close range encounters widespread in the lower-tier games.

The higher tiers are vastly different though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
24 posts
9,229 battles

Some of my favourite ships are German with their unique and amazing " abysmal stats and performance"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
130
[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles

Simply put here. 

You still in tier 6, which is a long way to go to Tier X. Best ships usually 8/9/10 (If you already hate the line from the start, you will suffer at FDG). And with incomic buff of German BB dispersion eclipse, it will punch hard over anything. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,845
[TLS]
Member
4,218 posts
20,371 battles

It is like saying "remove cv because they are annoying pests". 

No.

German battleships actually live up to their intended use: tanky, secondary spewing behemoths. With one problem: Their legendary accuracy. It is so legendary that all 9/9 salvos can miss a static fort. And then the next 6/6 salvo. Their problem as people have mentioned above is that they have been power crept. Why should I take a wildly inaccuracy ship with good secondaries while I can take a super accurate ship with nearly as good secondaries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,845
[TLS]
Member
4,218 posts
20,371 battles
8 minutes ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

For a second I thought I'm in NA forums.

We're not a 'more wretched hive of scum and villainy'.

Also, I would say that KMS BBs are not for a new player. Yes, they are tanky. No, their dispersion will drive you into desperation. My recommendation is IJN for their all rounded-ness so that you can learn the finer points of driving a ship or USN where you can learn to snipe. Yes. I got that correct. Because until you reach T8, USN BBs are snipers because of their fat slowassness. FYI, I am liking my NC much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much more than I ever liked my NM. Soviet BBs are not for new players because one wrong bowtanking mistake and BLAM! Holes in your citadels. French are okay from my experience. RN ones lack the punch. And their "advertised firestarting abilities" do not begin until T9 and even at T9/10, I demand a refund because "does not work as advertised".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,546
[151ST]
Member
2,627 posts
10,476 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

We're not a 'more wretched hive of scum and villainy'.

Also, I would say that KMS BBs are not for a new player. Yes, they are tanky. No, their dispersion will drive you into desperation. My recommendation is IJN for their all rounded-ness so that you can learn the finer points of driving a ship or USN where you can learn to snipe. Yes. I got that correct. Because until you reach T8, USN BBs are snipers because of their fat slowassness. FYI, I am liking my NC much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much more than I ever liked my NM. Soviet BBs are not for new players because one wrong bowtanking mistake and BLAM! Holes in your citadels. French are okay from my experience. RN ones lack the punch. And their "advertised firestarting abilities" do not begin until T9 and even at T9/10, I demand a refund because "does not work as advertised".

Ummmmmmm

All RN BBs are amazing firestarters, I just finished the line last month...

I would never solely rely on HE though, I think apart from Conqueror I was averaging about half my damage from HE/fires and Half AP... 

For Conq it tends to be more thirds for HE, Fires and AP.

Edited by S4pp3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,845
[TLS]
Member
4,218 posts
20,371 battles
10 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Ummmmmmm

All RN BBs are amazing firestarters, I just finished the line last month...

I would never solely rely on HE though, I think apart from Conqueror I was averaging about half my damage from HE/fires and Half AP... 

For Conq it tends to be more thirds for HE, Fires and AP.

Then it must be that bots have fire retardant on them unlike human players. Because my conqueror's HE doesn't start enough fires as advertised.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
331
[-ISO-]
Member
1,062 posts
6,286 battles
5 hours ago, SMMSKaiserinCelestia said:

I thought German BBs were good for newcomers. I have always read that on forums elsewhere and maybe a confession that I wanted to get Bismarck.

They was. But now I'm assuming Wargaming have another plan that is to make the line as one of the hardest to grind. If you want to start with an easy one, try RN, USN, or IJN BBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,845
[TLS]
Member
4,218 posts
20,371 battles
17 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

They was.

There were when there were 3 nations. Now with HE spam all over the place and their inability to deal with the offending HE spammer effectively makes them poor choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
737
[LBAS]
Member
4,917 posts
11,037 battles

Such a nonsense topic

Edited by THAI_THIEF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×