You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AnExtremelyWeakPlayer

Are Italian cruisers too overpower ?

51 comments in this topic

88 posts
5,927 battles

With excellent maneuverability, well protected armor and unique smoke generator, Italian cruisers can easily dodge and absord tons of protential damage. At the same time, they can deal incredible damage to all ships with thin armor belt. Especially, Italian cruiser are extremely deadly against destoryers. I used to use Montecuccoli to deal 7k damage to a destoryer and one shot it in a single round shooting and the same happened while I faced Venezia, using Kiev. Even though sap cannot set any fire, this ammo is too stable and too destructive on ships with strong survivability.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
1,549 posts
12,779 battles
52 minutes ago, AnExtremelyWeakPlayer said:

At the same time, they can deal incredible damage to all ships with thin armor belt.

you do know the reload is 16~20 sec right ?

Not your average joe 8~15sec reload

Edited by Gummilicious

88 posts
5,927 battles

The long reload time can enable Italian cruisers to spend more time watching and dodging the coming fire and their sap dpm overall is actually quite high due to the much higher maxium damage in contrast to normal cruiser he.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,756 posts
5,783 battles

Well protected armor? Are you sure about that? My Trento had one bullet hitting the angled side and Heavy damage alot.

Unique Smoke Abilities? You do realize that even you smoke within 10km less, You gonna get radared or if you're closer to 6km , the smoke is pointless and it has low amount of it. ( Even with premium )

I played Trento on Scenario, I cant use SAP on Fort. It doesnt want me to pen it, I have to use AP and Closer than 7 KM to actually damage the Fort.

Such invalid statement for saying Italian Cruisers are too powerful. You didn't see the hate when 0.8.8 ppl complaining how under performing is?

Sure SAP can cripple a DD, but it is hopeless when it comes to certain ships with long reload , You do not have time to WASD if you faced more than 4 enemies with that long time to spend reload.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,644 posts
7,803 battles
11 hours ago, AnExtremelyWeakPlayer said:

The long reload time can enable Italian cruisers to spend more time watching and dodging the coming fire and their sap dpm overall is actually quite high due to the much higher maxium damage in contrast to normal cruiser he.

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say long reloads were an advantage.   

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat
  • Funny 6

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles

If you angle yourself against them, SAP will do almost no dmg.

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,756 posts
5,783 battles
23 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say long reloads were an advantage.   

Me too like, hey lets wait for 15 seconds while observe more than multiples enemy attack patterns so we can WASD Hacking around . Now thats for sure Advantage.

• Funny 1

[SALT]
2,045 posts
10,542 battles

80b90b828e.png

That shit tell it all, I got so close to  that Kagero, my secondary hit him. he just angled so tight and straight. my SAP have hard time doing actual damage. (if He zig zag a bit I belive I can end his strugle faster though)

32  Hit ! - Amalfi have 9 Guns, if all shell Hit - you count how much wasted time that SAP bouncing bolocks incur. its 2nd game in Amalfi and I hate her so Much,  I just free exping myself into Brindisi LOL

though to be fair, High tier SAP and Italian Ship is quite decent.

Brindisi is for me a Decent ship, its consistent performer as SAP become reliable . My performance with her has been great in 40 or so battle, Even I surprised to find my name in leaderboard for that ship (prob everyone decent skip straight to Venezia)

but, Serriusly all Italian Ship before Brindisi (and possibly Venezia) is total shit. The Ship itself ok-ish, but the 12 Gun Alpha and Reliable SAP shell make big diffrence

Just skip to Brindisi, and save yourself from mental anquish

Edited by humusz

[AN-DO]
677 posts
9,966 battles

While I haven't played the high tier ships yet I have noticed from being in games with them that they can do a lot of damage and can be hard to hit. They are at best average, definitely not OP. The mid to lower tier ships on the other hand are not good at all.

[TLS]
4,228 posts
20,371 battles

I saw this earlier last night just as it was posted and was incredulous. I decided to leave it for you guys to start tearing it into bits first.

5 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say long reloads were and advantage.   

5 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Me too like, hey lets wait for 15 seconds while observe more than multiples enemy attack patterns so we can WASD Hacking around . Now thats for sure Advantage.

Long reloads are an advantage. An advantage to get focused fire on and die before you get off the next shot.

5 hours ago, humusz said:

its 2nd game in Amalfi and I hate her so Much,  I just free exping myself into Brindisi LOL

-snip-

but, Serriusly all Italian Ship before Brindisi (and possibly Venezia) is total shit. The Ship itself ok-ish, but the 12 Gun Alpha and Reliable SAP shell make big diffrence

Just skip to Brindisi, and save yourself from mental anquish

Just skip to Venice Beach to save the mental anguish. I had like 7 games in amuffins and it was just terrible. Freexp later and 3 games in the Venice and it proves the superiority of pasta ships. As long as they are top tier.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,987 posts
9 hours ago, AnExtremelyWeakPlayer said:

With excellent maneuverability, well protected armor and unique smoke generator, Italian cruisers can easily dodge and absord tons of protential damage. At the same time, they can deal incredible damage to all ships with thin armor belt. Especially, Italian cruiser are extremely deadly against destoryers. I used to use Montecuccoli to deal 7k damage to a destoryer and one shot it in a single round shooting and the same happened while I faced Venezia, using Kiev. Even though sap cannot set any fire, this ammo is too stable and too destructive on ships with strong survivability.

tenorKMMRSHDD.gif.b9469c444e2f2026ce4e5c0861b170b4.gif

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

4,902 posts
8,860 battles

This thread deserves "haha" reaction because how absurd it is.

And by 'absurd', I mean so much is not true.

Overpowered against DDs? Yes.

Overpowered against any slightly armored ships? LMAO

Edited by Paladinum

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,336 posts
11,162 battles
10 hours ago, AnExtremelyWeakPlayer said:

Venezia is great, Brindisi is pretty good, every other RM CA is poor to average.  None of them are overpowered, although Venezia is extremely strong against DD's.

The point you make about the excellent maneuverability is correct, but also a standard open water cruiser trait.  RM CA's are just as good as many other cruisers in this regard.  The armour is not what I would call well protected, it is easy to hurt them when you hit them, and there is nothing in the armour that makes it particularly better than other open water cruisers.  The smoke generator is great, but with few charges on a very long reload it is most definitely not OP - it is designed for when you push in too far and need an option to safely get out, and works well in that role.

Incidentally, if you are in a DD facing RM CA's and their very powerful SAP shells, you need to turn out and go perfectly stern on to the cruiser.  SAP shells have a 70-80° autobounce (75-80° for the T10 Venezia), and that means it takes almost very little angle to create a pen.  If you are sailing away (or straight towards them!) though, there are very few surfaces that are going to create a pen, and you won't take much damage at all.  However, if you show even a small amount of angle, all of a sudden all those bounces become pens and you'll get demolished.  Just note that Venezia can do about 25k in a single salvo on a DD - that's your whole ship from full health.  The next best T10 cruiser can only do about 12k in a single salvo.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
1,549 posts
12,779 battles
7 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say long reloads were and advantage

well that just proves the OP is a tunnel vision player 

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles
7 hours ago, Verytis said:

If you angle yourself against them, SAP will do almost no dmg.

The thing is, SAP penetration angle is significantly greater than normal AP. You can shoot the bow of a ships (Des Moines to be example) that angling 60 Degrees with your SAP and still a lot of damage.

• Cool 4

[CLAY]
2,841 posts
12,654 battles

Hmmm, I suppose that certain players can make the ships work to their advantage. If they position well, pick their targets carefully, aim well and make every shot count. I admit that SAP can be quite painful when hit on the stern of a CA.  But it seems to me that would lead to a limited play style with low variation, you’re limited in what you can effectively engage. (Of course, I’ve only got as far as T7).

As someone who uses the “throw enough *&$# at the wall...” play style, the slow reload, and my own poor aim, limits what I can do. (Yes, BBs also have slow reload, but they also have bigger shells and HE so even 1 can hurt a lot)

Simply put, while certain players could do well in these ships, most of us don’t have the right skills. They are a very hard ship to play.

• Cool 2

[BLIST]
Beta Tester
53 posts
10,074 battles
19 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Simply put, while certain players could do well in these ships, most of us don’t have the right skills. They are a very hard ship to play.

The skill floor is too big maybe. Just like the RTS CV. And we just need time to adapt. 

• Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles
2 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Venezia is great, Brindisi is pretty good, every other RM CA is poor to average.  None of them are overpowered, although Venezia is extremely strong against DD's.

The point you make about the excellent maneuverability is correct, but also a standard open water cruiser trait.  RM CA's are just as good as many other cruisers in this regard.  The armour is not what I would call well protected, it is easy to hurt them when you hit them, and there is nothing in the armour that makes it particularly better than other open water cruisers.  The smoke generator is great, but with few charges on a very long reload it is most definitely not OP - it is designed for when you push in too far and need an option to safely get out, and works well in that role.

Incidentally, if you are in a DD facing RM CA's and their very powerful SAP shells, you need to turn out and go perfectly stern on to the cruiser.  SAP shells have a 70-80° autobounce (75-80° for the T10 Venezia), and that means it takes almost very little angle to create a pen.  If you are sailing away (or straight towards them!) though, there are very few surfaces that are going to create a pen, and you won't take much damage at all.  However, if you show even a small amount of angle, all of a sudden all those bounces become pens and you'll get demolished.  Just note that Venezia can do about 25k in a single salvo on a DD - that's your whole ship from full health.  The next best T10 cruiser can only do about 12k in a single salvo.

HA! I said that the history of WG tech tree was if the lower tiers were crap then tiers 9-10 were usually really good.

[FORCE]
2,462 posts
12,307 battles

Their turret traverse is just second to Japanese CA, in a bad way of course. However unlike Japanese CA, which have everything to wreck most type of enemies, Italian cruisers are only strong against the lightly armored targets like DDs and some CLs. I have Montecucoli & Zara, but neither of them can score 2x of their HP without ramming the bigger enemies.

I have faced against Brindisi numerous times and most of the duel ended up as a win for me,  some of those wins were in Edinburgh. And I have one-shot Brindisi rather easily with Iowa, Musashi, and Vladivostok.

Venezia is just a tad more difficult to kill but not impossible. I have engaged against the ship several times with little to no issue, some of the engagements were in Kitakaze. And of course I angled a lot to nullify the SAP damage.

4,902 posts
8,860 battles
6 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I guess OP wont be back.

This is a troll thread. We've all been jebaited.

• Funny 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,644 posts
7,803 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

This is a troll thread. We've all been jebaited.

You know the KMBB accuracy thread is an April Fools Day joke?