You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Desert_Fox_2014

Is torpedo targeting consider gun targeting too

6 comments in this topic

34 posts

Like the title suggest, I had this encounter while targeting a CV and not detected (still outside my DD detection zone)  by him. But suddenly he send a planes toward me. So the question is does "PRIORITY TARGET" skill include Torpedo targeting which is not mention.

[MRI]
2,607 posts
12,744 battles

No.

What probably happened is he noticed he was ship spotted so he vectored planes to where he thought you would be. Or had a teammate using RPF.

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
1,823 posts
10,149 battles

I thought that the Priority Target skill detected the number of lock ons you had. In which case, if a ship launching torps has locked onto you (most do, because that’s what gives the torpedo lead indicator), it would show. Don’t know if it still happens, but there was a case where you could tell if a DD switched to torpedos because the indicator would flicker when they switched.

But I wouldn’t have thought that many CVs would have that skill, as there are other skills at that level which are more useful.

[O7]
2,675 posts
17,680 battles

There are many ways to spot unseen targets.

Moving behind islands you can pinpoint a target. When detection is lost you can draw a line from the center of your boat past the edge of the island to the target.

Using last known location and time will most often give you a very good estimate of a targets location.

Using the directions of incoming torpedo clearly points to a targets location.

etc..

[O7]
2,675 posts
17,680 battles

In case of CV specifically if I notice I'm spotted and it's not a plane spot I know there is someone somewhere on my detection range perimeter. Looking at minimap I usually can tell which side. Not hard to send a plane to that spot. Unlike most other ships the CV itself doesn't need priority target or anything because usually you're never ship spotted.

But of course to specifically answer your question, opps :Smile_facepalm:

Yes priority targeting does detect torpedo targeting. Further more it goes on and off when you change from gun to torpedo lock or vice versa. edit: maybe I'm wrong about this. I always just thought it did.

Edited by keskparane
  • Cool 1

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

It is a known technique from Flamu,

if you're against a DD, you got a mark on your priority target skill.

Then the number is gone, it indicates if he dropped the torpedo load already. To you.

About if he send a plane to you,

i can say he probably just lucky to found you?

Generally someone will send in planes when detected to a general area.

Lets say hes concealment is 10km, then he would sweep a radius of 8km radially started from the direction suspected to be easily breached.

So if his friends are flocking at the west side, then start from the east. Given that mostly CV player will block his ship from sight by covering north and south with an island.