You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moggytwo

A useful method for dodging Rocket Fighters

26 comments in this topic

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,336 posts
11,162 battles

Hello all, I thought I'd put up a hopefully helpful post about a technique I use to avoid Rocket Fighters in my DD's.  I have seen a lot of people complain about RF's being too effective against DD's, but I personally think they're a very balanced tool with lots of counter play for the DD.  The initial part of that counter play involves not being found, but if the CV knows where you are and is attacking you with RF's this technique is one of the options you have to help you minimise the damage you take.  I'm sure there are plenty of the more experienced players out there who have worked this out for themselves, but I'm equally confident there are many more out there that haven't.

You want to approach the RF's at full speed at a 20-30° angle, then a few seconds before launch kick the rudder hard over into the RF approach direction. Since ships in WoWS have a tendency to rotate around the bow and drift the rear of the ship to the outside of the turn, when the CV captain releases the rockets perfectly on your expected path of travel, the rear of the ship will drift outside the rockets as they fly through the air, and miss the ship to the inside. If you're the CV captain, you need to aim outside the turn to hit.  It's an extremely consistent method of avoiding rockets.

1912259297_TheMoggyJink.thumb.png.990e3c63bc20f670887e372962ef20e5.png

Here's me in a Kleber dodging RF attacks from a Haku. The CV didn't land a single rocket on me this battle. You'll note it also works (although slightly less effectively) while traveling away from the RF approach direction, although traveling towards them is preferable if possible.

This technique doesn't really work from the side due to the rocket fall angle and shape of the dispersion pattern. Turning is always a good thing rather than going in a straight line of course, but this technique basically puts the ship in a different spot than the CV thinks it's going to be in, and you ideally want to time your turn to be passing directly perpendicular to the RF attack path as the rockets are released.

Hopefully this tool will help some of you with your DD play in the future!

Edited by Moggytwo
  • Cool 19

[MRI]
3,610 posts
15,531 battles

Nice write up. +1

This is what I have been trying to do in my DDs, but it is hard to put it into words to advice others. Hopefully this will help those still struggling.

Granted, it takes some practice to execute, because you have to fight against your primal instincts of turning and running from danger. And you may still take a sliver of damage, but it is nowhere near the amount you would have taken otherwise.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,588 posts
26,584 battles

nice, i wrote up a guide about the same thing but you visualized it better

On 5/13/2019 at 6:58 PM, drakon233 said:

for how to play against them (CVs) as a DD

for torp drops, you would need to be braindead to eat a strike from a CV unless you were caught horribly out of position, in which case you'e screwed anyways, just stay angled to the TBs and accelerate/decelerate depending on 

for DB drops, check how many drops he has left, if it's only one then pop your smoke, pretend to try to hide in it for 3s after you go dark and charge out  this will usually throw off a drop from a DB squad if they are trying to blind-drop you, if it's a full squad then just wait in the smoke, CV players have 0 patience and will often go find another target after less than 20s so they dont waste their strike potential. the issue with CVs is that their alpha is shit low compared to old CVs and need to stack their damage fast in order to have a big impact in the game. 

for rockets, if you see they are HVARs/IJN/RN/KMS rockets, try to go at a slight angle but mostly parallel to the planes as they came in at 3/4 speed, and as soon as they start the drop increase to full speed and turn in to throw off the aim, if you see that they are tiny tims then just bow in, it's the best chance you got

ah right, one very important thing i forgot to mention

keep your AA off unless you are certain they can strike you and are on course to strike you, rocket planes will overshoot you if they dont predict your location and the longer they dont drop it's more dmg done to them by teammate's flack, and wasted potential damage for them

• Cool 3

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

I'll note this,

how about an attack coming from the aft ? Still the same principle?

I think i saw a dodge at the video also.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,588 posts
26,584 battles
28 minutes ago, Brunswickz said:

I'll note this,

drops from the aft are far harder to dodge, if the CV actually takes his time to come in from the back then use your smoke, smokeless DDs like the french have the ablity to speedjuke somewhat 

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles

More important information:

While there is a "dodge" factor to it, by throwing off their aim in the last second, it is also a predictive game.

While briefly losing vision of you, a CV essentially has to make a prediction about where you're gonna be. You should look at the planes and watch their flight path.

If a CV passes over you and is turning around to attack you from behind. You look at whether they turn left or right to come back. You would expect them to target somewhere in front of your last spotted location.

Now draw a line between where they finish turning, and somewhere slightly ahead of your last spotted location. That is their most likely flight path.

You should travel perpendicular to their flight path, but be turning into them before they spot you to minmise their adjustment time.

Alternatively, a CV may try to make a hard turn as quickly as possible to give you no time to steer too far away. Watch where they start their attack run.

In those cases, it can actually be good idea to pull your ship to a stop, so that their rockets overshoot you.

[MRI]
3,610 posts
15,531 battles
43 minutes ago, Brunswickz said:

I'll note this,

What Drakon said.

Rocket attacks from the rear is one of the worst-case scenarios for a DD. You either smoke up to break line of sight or get ready to eat some damage.

It is a funny case where approaching the danger source is actually better than running away.

That is why a lot of inexperienced players try to run directly from rocket planes, eat a bunch of damage, then cry OP. They don't realise their attempts to minimise the danger is actually making things worse.

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,756 posts
5,783 battles

Your " Write Up " gave me Extra exploit to aim at Well Experienced DD main some more. Good job leaking that tactic Moggy.

7429_sakigrinanimated.gif

• Funny 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,588 posts
26,584 battles

Just now, LawrenceXVIII said:

Your " Write Up " gave me Extra exploit to aim at Well Experienced DD main some more. Good job leaking that tactic Moggy.

you assume you'll hit them even with this "exploit"

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,756 posts
5,783 battles
6 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

you assume you'll hit them even with this "exploit"

One or Both fam.

The more i learn new tactics from you guys ,  The more i secretly use it.

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles
47 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

What Drakon said.

Rocket attacks from the rear is one of the worst-case scenarios for a DD. You either smoke up to break line of sight or get ready to eat some damage.

It is a funny case where approaching the danger source is actually better than running away.

That is why a lot of inexperienced players try to run directly from rocket planes, eat a bunch of damage, then cry OP. They don't realise their attempts to minimise the danger is actually making things worse.

Same applies to torpedoes tho, but noone complains about that.

[LBAS]
1,553 posts

to prevent CV attack you from behind, make sure there's lot of friendly AA behind you.... aka don't over extend.

but then again, most of DD death didn't come from CV directly, but being detect by CV's plane and hundred of shell fly towards them.

AP pen from minor, des, starlin...  hurt like hell...

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles

10 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

to prevent CV attack you from behind, make sure there's lot of friendly AA behind you.... aka don't over extend.

but then again, most of DD death didn't come from CV directly, but being detect by CV's plane and hundred of shell fly towards them.

AP pen from minor, des, starlin...  hurt like hell...

AP only hurts if they can overmatch or you give them sides, same applies to SAP.

Thats why RN CL and Italian CA aren't very threatening by themselves.

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles
1 hour ago, Verytis said:

Same applies to torpedoes tho, but noone complains about that.

No, it is quite the opposite. Easier to dodge torps from behind. Because the relative speed is smaller.

Some ships even faster than some torpedoes.

Except if you're talking about aerial torpedo after the CV rework.

Why the complain?

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Brunswickz said:

No, it is quite the opposite. Easier to dodge torps from behind. Because the relative speed is smaller.

Some ships even faster than some torpedoes.

Except if you're talking about aerial torpedo after the CV rework.

Why the complain?

Oh, I was thinking more about how its generally better to turn in towards torps when caught unawares. And yes aerial torps too.

[AN-DO]
677 posts
9,966 battles

Bar a few situations that depend on your positioning it is almost always better to turn into torps whether fired from ships or aerial launched

Edited by blauflamme22
  • Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,336 posts
11,162 battles
16 hours ago, Brunswickz said:

Still the same, but it is less effective due to the extra time the CV has to line the shot up, plus the angle of the fall of the rockets coming from behind the ship rather than in front means the rockets tend to angle into the front of the ship rather than the rear. 

The second dodge in the video I linked is from the rear, you'll notice the rockets land exactly where my ship was at the moment they were released. I was engaged in a firefight at the time, but it's extremely important to maintain your awareness of the RF position so you can angle properly and shift the rudder at exactly the right time. Unfortunately due to the vagaries of the replay system you can't actually see the rudder position changes in the video, apologies for that. 

• Cool 2

[ANZAF]
500 posts
6,700 battles

Mogg are you turning at about 2.5 to 2km distance? I might be turning a tad late, about 2 to 1.5km

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,336 posts
11,162 battles

I initiate the turn at about 3km.  It does depend on maneuverability of the ship you're in of course, and the speed of the RF's (lower tier RF's are slower so you can leave it a bit later).  Don't forget it takes a couple of seconds to get the rudder to full from the point you initiate the turn, and then a few more seconds to get from your initial 20-30° angle to in line with the RF's.

If the angle of your ship is passing being perpendicular to the RF's as the rockets are being released then you are timing it right.

• Cool 2

338 posts
6,754 battles

@Moggytwo You should try sharing this info in WoWS reddit. It's valuable piece of information that should be spread to people, so that people will shut up about "overpowered rockets planes rekt my poor DDs and I can't do anything about it".

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,336 posts
11,162 battles
8 hours ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

@Moggytwo You should try sharing this info in WoWS reddit. It's valuable piece of information that should be spread to people, so that people will shut up about "overpowered rockets planes rekt my poor DDs and I can't do anything about it".

Reddit has a rather severe CV objectivity problem.  This means quality posts, especially those related to CV's, tend to get lost rapidly.  I'm happy for this info to be spread to everyone in the game, but I am reluctant to start a new thread on the subject.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
460 posts
6,005 battles

Adding onto this thread, while bumping it for people to see.

If rocket planes don't know where you are, a good method is to actually face your back towards the planes and start slowing down before they spot you.

If your air concealment is under 3km, the rocket planes don't actually have time to tighten their reticle, so they'll either overshoot or waste their drop doing almost no dmg.

The CV's next drop now has to come from the front, which is simple to dodge. Unless the CV drops fighters, you can always dodge at least 2 attacks while being in a retreating position.

I also been collecting some footage, but it might just be pointless if WG decides to implement new fighter changes.

Edited by Verytis
  • Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
287 posts
18,857 battles

This thread provides effective answers for the use of AA by Destroyers. 👌

Well written with great follow up explanation.

• Cool 1