You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Makyrojo

Why is there so many CVs and why are they so broken.

102 comments in this topic

[RECRE]
4 posts
1,751 battles

I almost all my games played, there have consistently been 3 carriers per game. The carriers not only do not scout of play properly, but they also don't feel appropriate or suitable for this game. The reason I play wows not world of warplanes is because I don't want to play a game about planes. 

• Cool 2

[AN-DO]
675 posts
9,936 battles

It is only low tier games that have 3CVs per match, once you make it to the mid and higher tiers it isn't a problem anymore. Unfortunately as it currently stands the MM is rather broken and this is highlighted by the problem or 3 CV games in the lower tiers

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,335 posts
11,146 battles
46 minutes ago, Makyrojo said:

I almost all my games played, there have consistently been 3 carriers per game. The carriers not only do not scout of play properly, but they also don't feel appropriate or suitable for this game. The reason I play wows not world of warplanes is because I don't want to play a game about planes. 

It's only T4 that has this problem, and the reason for it that when WG released the AA rework of 0.8.7 they buffed the plane health of many CV's to compensate for the increased AA due to long/mid/short range auras now stacking.  At T4 these buffs were far too excessive (70-80% on average) and that meant that the poor AA at these tiers now is not sufficient to prevent second and third wave plane attacks.  This means that the T4 CV's are significantly OP now, which is obviously causing a population spike, hence you're seeing a lot of 3 CV per team games.  This is only a problem at T4, the rest of the tiers are quite well balanced.

Hopefully WG fixes this sooner rather than later.

49 minutes ago, Makyrojo said:

Can we make matchmaking only maximum 1 carrier per team?

No.

The match maker has to find spots for every ship queuing.  If there was an MM limit of one CV per team, but there are enough people queuing to make 2-3 CV's per team each battle, then the CV queue at that tier would continue going up faster than battles could be found, and the queue wait time for CV's would stretch to infinity.  To stop this happening in times like this, the match maker will do an MM dump, which basically throws the rules out the window and just cobbles together what's left in the queue.  With the sort of queue numbers we're talking about here, every second or third battle would be a 3 CV per team battle with unmatched other ships for tier and class, and that would be fun for nobody.

This is not a problem you can solve with the match maker - it requires a balance change to make playing against T4 CV's more reasonable, which will then reduce queue numbers as well, thus solving all the problems at once.  A simple across the board T4 CV plane health nerf of 30% would fix all these issues in one change.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,837 posts
12,638 battles
1 hour ago, Makyrojo said:

Can we make matchmaking only maximum 1 carrier per team?

There is. At T10.

Seriously though, 3 CVs per side is too much at low levels.

That said, WG have been asked this before and don’t seem willing to change it beyond wha5 the6 already have. They don’t want to make CV wait time too long.

[TLS]
4,203 posts
20,354 battles
38 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That said, WG have been asked this before and don’t seem willing to change it beyond wha5 the6 already have. They don’t want to make CV wait time too long.

Trickle down effect that I could have said would have happened with their "waiting times" thinking. I am going to say: "I TOLD YOU SO" because I predicted these issues from the start.

You lock T10 down because of complaints, therefore T8 gets shafted. Then T8 complains and it gets locked down, problem shifted to T6. See where this is going...

T4 gets the brunt of the damage now because of the carryover/trickle down effect. And guess what? wg cannot pass the buck to T2 because there is no T2. Too many CV? Well, "we want to encourage CV play" quote/unquote. Complain to wg for changing things and "encouraging more cvs". And that is not talking about the economic returns of CV. Nor the hassle. People flock to T4 because of the issues at higher tiers and at T4, they can avoid these issues. Nerf T4 more? Going to discourage people from playing CV unless they freexp to higher tiers. Then we have the complaints about CV players with few games performing poorly.

• Cool 2

4,880 posts
8,859 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

What is with big video game companies these days and the tendency to ruin themselves?

• Cool 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,640 posts
7,794 battles

Can a moderator combine all these so we don't have to read a dozen threads a day about carriers?

• Cool 1

[ANZUS]
9 posts
4,056 battles

This server has serious CV issues and CVs have serious issues with rocketplanes. 

Rocket planes vs dds and light cruisers is the single most frustrating, game breaking element of the CVs; best aa cruisers or dds in the game still loose way to much health from a strike - as the new (shit) aa mechanics only target the back planes in the squadron you can do nothing, absolutely nothing to lose a significant chunk of your health in the first 60seconds of the game if the enemy cv chooses to target you. 

2 Cvs per side would be fine IF rocket planes were removed from the game.

• Cool 4

[KAMI]
453 posts
5,981 battles

I'm more annoyed of rocket planes as a cruiser than a DD, funnily. At least DD have the option to hide and evade, and smoke if caught out. But a cruiser is visible quite often because they're firing their guns. In cases where you're a -2 tier cruiser, the CV rockets can chunk you for over 20% of your hp with a good drop.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,640 posts
7,794 battles
42 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

This server has serious CV issues

WG acknowledged that CVs are an anomaly on the Asia but wont introduce local fixes for it.  Global fixes only.

[MRI]
3,608 posts
15,488 battles

This is only really a problem at the low tiers. At high tiers there are still many no CV games.

This is the result of the intersection of several factors.

As Dejiko said, high tier CV play has been the subject of many nerfs to the effect that it is simply not worth playing high tier CVs for the amount of effort they require. So people flock to the low tiers where AA is limited and enemy fighters almost non-existent.

The removal of the odd-tier CVs meant players grinding through the CV lines will have to spend nearly 2x as long on Tier 4 compared to other surface ships so of course there will be a bottleneck at Tier 4. The Research Bureau encouraging veterans to sealclub doesn't help either.

5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

This is not a problem you can solve with the match maker - it requires a balance change to make playing against T4 CV's more reasonable, which will then reduce queue numbers as well, thus solving all the problems at once.  A simple across the board T4 CV plane health nerf of 30% would fix all these issues in one change.

This.

The problem can't be solved by implementing a 1 CV per side hard cap like some people suggest because the problem is a popularity issue, not an MM one. There are just too many people queuing in CVs relative to other classes at low tier. A hard cap will just cause more games with incomplete team roster.

The key is to make lower tier CVs less popular. There are several ways to do this: nerfing plane health as suggested, increasing AA, giving CV squadrons the fighter consumable to create more pressure, or even economic nerfs.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,579 posts
26,558 battles

3 hours ago, Scholesy said:
~complaineing~

cough gitgud cough

#nocontext
Untitled.png.981dc4ce5a1900786db140dc7316f7b2.png

shot-19.11.17_18.37.03-0475.jpg

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

4,880 posts
8,859 battles
5 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

shot-19_11.17_18_37.03-0475.jpg.538ee33d05b73531e72a9efe0008e066.jpg

You forgot to redact the name of the chatbox.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,579 posts
26,558 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

ah, gotcha

[REPOI]
Beta Tester
26 posts
14,687 battles
6 hours ago, blauflamme22 said:

It is only low tier games that have 3CVs per match, once you make it to the mid and higher tiers it isn't a problem anymore. Unfortunately as it currently stands the MM is rather broken and this is highlighted by the problem or 3 CV games in the lower tiers

Either you are lucky or Im in bad luck, all of my games range from tier VIII-X always has 2  CVs.

[FORCE]
2,444 posts
12,284 battles
11 minutes ago, Ribbon_chan said:

Either you are lucky or Im in bad luck, all of my games range from tier VIII-X always has 2  CVs.

Bad luck. I played 5 games between T8 to 10, only 1 game had CV today.

[MRI]
3,608 posts
15,488 battles
53 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

You forgot to do the same in your quote too! :Smile_hiding:

4,880 posts
8,859 battles
4 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

You forgot to do the same in your quote too! :Smile_hiding:

*gasp*

Edited by Paladinum

[AN-DO]
675 posts
9,936 battles
8 hours ago, Ribbon_chan said:

You clearly have bad luck, or there are just more CVs on at the time of day you play, I only had one game yesterday with 2 CVs at T8, the rest had either none or one. Come div with me so your luck improves :Smile_teethhappy:

75 posts
2,030 battles

The whole CV class just seems like broken game design. They really ruin the experience for DDs, at every tier. They make it tedious.

A CV can destroy a DD in the opening seconds of a game, and often does. A CV cannot be destroyed in the opening seconds.

This creates an unfair and frankly stupid result. CVs are always the last to die. They spend the entire game attacking other players, and if they need to defend, the game is already lost. That is just a bad game mechanic. 

Players should be given the option to play without CVs. As the OP said, it is world of war SHIPs, not world of aircraft launched from ships. We should not be forced to play with this badly designed class.

• Funny 1

[SMOKE]
2,033 posts
16,253 battles

well unfortunately I had to agree with the OP ; too many multiple CV game, and compounded by too few Cruiser who actually would close support, provide AA, seems to always see them dash for cover right from start or run way way out , wide, flanking or back lane and out unable to shoot at enemies. Worst case is being the lone DD on any team, you will be instantly made the offering on the altar, even wit only 1CV you will be hunted down and forget your teammate they just do not care to help.

Bad MM is certainly a big issue, but players who do not AA support , do not formation, do not close support is no doubt part of the problem. DD suffers the most but all surface ships suffers in this meta especially those who actually PUSH to battle with enemy planes on top

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 1