You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Thoughts on Friesland

19 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
748 posts
7,749 battles

182340689_Screenshot(608).thumb.png.ec1f5390df28dd73e189ae954782eb80.png

This ship has God-tier AA. It eats Hakuryu planes for breakfast. (still playing around in coop for now)

Ok, so no torps. And it's kinda chubby (big target, poor concealment for a DD). But everything else is upside: good smoke, hydro&dfaa, decent handling, good (small caliber) guns, mucho fire starting potential. Having only two turrets means the firing angles are superb.

The problem is the high skill floor, or to put it another way, the ship's utility relative to other T9 DDs when helmed by an average player. In CV games it shines. In non CV PvP I imagine you'd have to be an extremely good player to accomplish what a good to average player could achieve in another DD.

[LNA]
1,980 posts
12,382 battles

It is a screening ship that excel in fire and anti air.

Outside of that , it suck as a flanker thanks to non existant torp.

I find that friesland is not the best 1 v 1 dd out there even though it has huge DPM. the 2x2 throw out shell slower than 3x2 many dd at its tier get and it will lose hp faster than them.

[LBAS]
2,452 posts
12,154 battles

@Rina_Pon It doesnt have torps but more ammo for Derp charges and Hedgehogs, Friesland might get a full cancer ASW-Dose against Submarines with the Submarine Update.

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

[BLESS]
748 posts
7,749 battles
5 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

@Rina_Pon It doesnt have torps but more ammo for Derp charges and Hedgehogs, Friesland might get a full cancer ASW-Dose against Submarines with the Submarine Update.

It's a much more modern ship design than most other DD models in the game. You would think it would excel at anti-submarine warfare... but reality is gonna have to take a back seat to game balance so all bets are off.

[LBAS]
2,452 posts
12,154 battles
Just now, Rina_Pon said:

It's a much more modern ship design than most other DD models in the game. You would think it would excel at anti-submarine warfare... but reality is gonna have to take a back seat to game balance so all bets are off.

Its a Post-War design, it also had Hedgehog dischargers. soon enough we'll get missiles by Tier X.

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

[KAMI]
1,114 posts
10,794 battles
48 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Its a Post-War design, it also had Hedgehog dischargers. soon enough we'll get missiles by Tier X.

big dream 

• Cool 2

3,259 posts
6,888 battles

Friesland sets a positive precedence.

Ostergoland-class for T10 tech tree PEU DD:Smile_trollface:

Edited by Paladinum

[CN_70]
5,431 posts
22,412 battles
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

It is a screening ship that excel in fire and anti air.

Outside of that , it suck as a flanker thanks to non existant torp.

I find that friesland is not the best 1 v 1 dd out there even though it has huge DPM. the 2x2 throw out shell slower than 3x2 many dd at its tier get and it will lose hp faster than them.

wha....?

that thing has like 95% of daring DPM, there's literally nothing that can outgun it in a straight up gun duel save for maybe a kitakaze in a superior position 

[LBAS]
1,410 posts

they should give the same AA power to every single DD in game. + DFAA and fighters summoning too.

[LNA]
1,980 posts
12,382 battles
8 hours ago, drakon233 said:

wha....?

that thing has like 95% of daring DPM, there's literally nothing that can outgun it in a straight up gun duel save for maybe a kitakaze in a superior position 

It has slow shell velocity , which really hurt it in brief dd engagement as most dd will be able to turn before 2x2 really pump into effect over a long time. A 3x2 doesn't shoot as fast , but it lose less dpm in a short time frame.

Dd nowaday rarely go all in , but trade briefly , then pop smoke and do something elsw.

[FORCE]
643 posts
9,488 battles
12 hours ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

I'd bet the first ship with missiles would be named Katyusha because why not?

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,004 posts
9,029 battles
12 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

It was designed specifically as an ASW DD, and designated a "Submarine Destroyer", so you would very much hope it would be excellent against subs!

Overall, Friesland is a superb ship.  It has poor concealment, average handling, and no torps - and to compensate everything else about it is absolutely ridiculously good.  It suffers from the same problem that ships like Smolensk and Kremlin suffer from - if you make a ship with stronger strengths than most ships, and compensate by giving it weaker weaknesses, the better players will be able to minimise it's weaknesses almost completely, and therefore just get a stronger ship.

Friesland is particularly effective when paired with a DD that has good concealment and dpm.  It's basically cheating at that point.

[FORCE]
643 posts
9,488 battles
34 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Friesland is particularly effective when paired with a DD that has good concealment and dpm.  It's basically cheating at that point.

I'd rather say effective for teamplay (Soviet main DD line has been using the same playstyle albeit less effective). I mean a division with more than one Smolensk is a bigger form of cheating.

[ANZAF]
197 posts
3,959 battles
14 hours ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

I was wondering exactly the same thing with regard to subs.

[FISH]
379 posts
29,405 battles

I think Friesland has been on of the most positive high tier Fremium/Alternate currency additions to the game. 

Its a dd that doesn't depend much on team mate support and simultaneously can push the objectives.  That makes it pretty unique and pleasant to play.

With a Fries, its important to change some of the knee jerk habits we have with dd gameplay. Its okay to rely on just one turret sometimes if using both exposes you too much, the dps makes up for it. Its okay to switch to AP when broadsides are given against both cruisers and BBs.

And its totally worth it to invest in RPF. Its totally worth it to invest in BFT.

[SMOKE]
921 posts
12,013 battles
3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

.. Sniped .. players will be able to minimise it's weaknesses almost completely, and therefore just get a stronger ship.

I would not call it cheating .. Look at all the Super Cruiser and the recent premium BB if its cheating they are ; we have HP Armor long range radar speed that outst many cruiser and even some DD and big guns .... where the suppose weakness - slow loading or concealment well they are not that bad vs like of like tech tree ships ... and that is why at high tier these days we keep seeing schools of these .

Fris; Smoley & Colbert are more like csses of making ships with extreme and they are not new Atlanta is the one who really start this school of thoughts on specifics. They just happen to be able to be used to counter the long range slow stalemate play style these days. So call it working and working good instead and in the hand of a seasoned player it can be made to perform great just as the like of Kron ; Georgy ; Yammy and plenty big guns ... I see people cry simply because they are not big guns and be one who counter them.

Edited by Mechfori

[SMOKE]
921 posts
12,013 battles
33 minutes ago, Pervis117 said:

And its totally worth it to invest in RPF. Its totally worth it to invest in BFT.

I know BFT but what is RPF

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,004 posts
9,029 battles
1 hour ago, Mechfori said:

I would not call it cheating .. Look at all the Super Cruiser and the recent premium BB if its cheating they are ; we have HP Armor long range radar speed that outst many cruiser and even some DD and big guns .... where the suppose weakness - slow loading or concealment well they are not that bad vs like of like tech tree ships ... and that is why at high tier these days we keep seeing schools of these .

Fris; Smoley & Colbert are more like csses of making ships with extreme and they are not new Atlanta is the one who really start this school of thoughts on specifics. They just happen to be able to be used to counter the long range slow stalemate play style these days. So call it working and working good instead and in the hand of a seasoned player it can be made to perform great just as the like of Kron ; Georgy ; Yammy and plenty big guns ... I see people cry simply because they are not big guns and be one who counter them.

I don't actually think it's cheating, I was using hyperbole for effect, apologies if that wasn't clear.  I very much enjoy playing the Friesland in div with my friend in a Jutland, it is absurdly effective.

I agree with your Atlanta comparison, that was the original iteration of this type of ship.  The difference is that Atlanta has always been a touch underpowered, and it's weaknesses were genuinely very weak.  The newer ships of this type, especially the Smolensk, have weaknesses that really aren't anywhere near as weak (Smolensk's weak armour is really a strength!), and overall range from balanced to a bit OP, so now the problem with this type of polarised "huge strengths/huge weaknesses" ship becomes very apparent.

[SMOKE]
921 posts
12,013 battles
45 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

... so now the problem with this type of polarised "huge strengths/huge weaknesses" ship becomes very apparent.

actually I think the problem with many of the old timer tech line ships are even more a problem ; especially light force , in particular DD and CL .. their specification is still the same as they were before Radar, Rework CV, change to spotting mechanism .. so those spec are suppose to work for days when here is literally none of these and now the introduction of such without buffing them to made do .. DD lost their Stealth and counter spotting measure, gun and trop range is a joke  when everyone slug at 16 18, 20 KM and further , CL lost their capacity to influence simply because Super Cruiser replace CA as main line of cruiser on fleet and they practically do not do CA work at all, they are CB, and we see gross disconnection between light force and main force in game almost always , the shrinking number of DD and CL on high tier games very well illustrate that ... and incoming will be submarine .. I wonder with CV, Sub, hyperbole BB , Super Cruiser CB  ... does the fleet lineup even had slots left to include light force at all , especially when WG spec them to be underwhelming and unable to perform on equal term vs the big guns and CV .. Frisk might be one try but I fail to see its fulfilling the role .. its likely more for future anti-sub .. WG need to made the traditional gunboat and torpedo boat DD and the fast slugging maneuvering CL able to play on equal term again vs all these CB, BB, and all ... I doubt WG even able to do it though

Many CA and BB are no worse off, German BB suffer the most , but plenty of mid / high tier BB too , except of course the margin for error and ability to absorb damage is far greater here. Go into Random and all we see is schools of Super Cruiser and Premium BB and rather plenty if not most tech line ships relegated to port queen status tells .. Frisk is similar as a sample ( and anti-sample ) for the DD side, luckily or unluckily for DD player there really is not much of an over the top hyperbole premium DD yet ( even Somers can be countered )

Smoly / Colbert / Frisk , Italian Cruiser .. I can see WG trying to diversify the ship build and in itself its a good thing do to the game. I do think however they should really take a look at the classic naval model the game based and made update to their old tech line ships so we can had real diversity in fleet lineup, made it so DD can go stealth and go up front into range to snipe, made CL able to charge and dash and strike and made it back. made it so brawling BB can go brawling, made it so that CA can do their CA work of supporting the BB and countering enemy light force group ( Italian Cruiser actually doing this quite well but of course people cry fault because they just want to farm on the slow BB ) ..

Edited by Mechfori