You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
adampurkis

DD broken damage model?

10 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

Anyone noticed their propulsion system gets shot out too easy. I take hits the front of my ship or to the funnels and for some reason my propeller and rudder get damaged and lose function. Kind of dumb. Shoot a ships citadel or bridge and the propeller fails. Lmao.

679 posts
3,514 battles

Anyone noticed their propulsion system gets shot out too easy. I take hits the front of my ship or to the funnels and for some reason my propeller and rudder get damaged and lose function. Kind of dumb. Shoot a ships citadel or bridge and the propeller fails. Lmao.

That would be because you hit the boilers, no power, no ability to turn, also many ships had a mid rudder as well.
Edited by Dantes_Inferno

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Propulsion system != Just the propeller. Steering system != Just the rudder.

Most of the critical components required for moving the propellers and rudders are not just located next to the propellers/rudders. This is a ship, not a tank.

If your ship takes a hit to the bridge/pilothouse and the steering wheel is destroyed, or hit amidships in the steam lines or boilers or rudder hydraulics/servos/whatever, that takes out the propulsion and steering systems.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

destroyer are just 2 big engines with a few guns and torps , thats about it ................ go do some reading before you start posting anymore .........seriously.
Edited by kongman

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

DD have very little if no armor, so any shell (even high caliber gunfire) hitting your ship is going to hit something serious. Especially since the engine takes up most of the ship.

Beta Tester
39 posts
169 battles

I've landed hits all over DD's. Anything that disables them is working as intended since they're basically just floating fuel barges. I've knocked out just about all of the modules at least once and I expected to due to the lacklustre armour they have.

You want something with more protection that's what CA's, CV's and BB's are for

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

here's the layout from an FCPB - there's not much difference (other than scale) between the engineering layout of a PB and that of a DD:

205xrwz.jpg

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Or you could just post a link to a diagram of a WWII DD :v most of them are on the net already.

As you can see, the engine rooms are smack in the middle of the ship, right under the funnels, while the pilothouse is at the bridge area.