You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ogowa

why this game will never be more than beer and pretzals

29 comments in this topic

[ORCA]
19 posts
441 battles

So I was watching a u tube clip, world record damage by a Benson DD, level 10

I watched a 1500 ton destroyer launch salvo, after salvo of torps, 6, 12, 18, and on and on, and on

Some simple maths, each torp weighs nearly a ton, I watched literally hundreds of tons of torps launched

More than any DD could carry, without actually capsizing, let alone actually having the reloads

I watch planes come in, and launch torpedoes from point blank range, and escape, and come again and again.

Pity most carriers only carried limited numbers of them

I watch battleships, with powerful secondaries, seemingly incapable of hitting anything 5 KM or more away, For heavens sake, Yamatos 6 inch could kill at nearly 20 KM

No ship ever, and I mean ever, hid behind an island in a naval battle. You moved, fast, or you died

For a game to play half pissed, yep, but don't ever say this is naval warefare. Its world of tanks, on water.

It could be so much better, it could have been the perfect model for teaching the history of these magnificent ships (and men who served on them), Some how, it all, feels.. like it cheapens 

their sacrifice and duty

Better games are coming, Ill keep playing for mindless entertainment, until they do...……….

• Boring 6

3,196 posts
6,822 battles

New player's greatest mistake: thinking this is actually a naval simulator. This game is not. It's more of a team hero shooter (like Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch).

• Cool 2

5,415 posts
22,325 battles

50 minutes ago, ogowa said:

~snip~

"This is not a historical simulator"

WG balances gameplay with historical accuracy, if you want a "arcade simulator" then you're better off switching to WT now

[KAMI]
1,094 posts
10,713 battles

wait wait

you expect realism after seeing so much paper ship or imaginary "project" ship  being released??

[NLG]
126 posts
4,017 battles

You do realise that they need to balance ships out so that they're equal, because everyone only pilots a single ship with classes that vary from destroyers to battleships.

This is a casual 3rd person shooter game, and it would have to change genres if it wants to be realistic.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
2,376 posts
17,927 battles

Want more historical accuracy and fun? Ultimate Admirals: Dreadnaughts. I just saw a BB with 150 torpedo launchers. Beat that Shimakaze.

• Funny 1

[FORCE]
611 posts
9,411 battles

Chill down guys. He's still a greenhorn after all.

The others here are right. This game only borrows the existing ship designs into an arcade game, which is only half true nowadays with so many ships that never made it past the drawing board to be added into the game.

2 hours ago, ogowa said:

watch battleships, with powerful secondaries, seemingly incapable of hitting anything 5 KM or more away, For heavens sake, Yamatos 6 inch could kill at nearly 20 KM

This game has a thing called "gimmick". For powerful secondaries, there are only few mid & high tier battleships as their " gimmicks" which not including Yamato or any Japanese battleships in particular.

2 hours ago, ogowa said:

Pity most carriers only carried limited numbers of them

Some people in this forum will highly disagree with this.

2 hours ago, ogowa said:

No ship ever, and I mean ever, hid behind an island in a naval battle. You moved, fast, or you died

That's basically because most of the actual naval battles took place in open seas (Midway, Leyte Gulf, etc.) while the game only has one map that is historically accurate which is currently only playable for tier 10 ships (or in training room). Additionally, not all ships have decent maneuverability for the open water engagements which is also because the thing called "gimmick".

2 hours ago, ogowa said:

It could be so much better, it could have been the perfect model for teaching the history of these magnificent ships (and men who served on them), Some how, it all, feels.. like it cheapens 

Unfortunately it was never possible since beginning. Even for the simple thing like filling up one entire nation's tech tree without paper designs proved to be impossible since the day when there were only US & Japanese tech trees that existed. WG also only made very few videos dedicated to explain the history of certain ships.

I mean seriously, I learn more ship history from Azur Lane than from this game although I have been playing this game much longer than the former. Like, who would have thought a modernized Kongo-class battlecruiser (Hiei) actually sunk a Benson-class destroyer (Laffey) which will never likely to happen in this game due how the in-game mechanics work (3 tiers difference, destroyer's certain immunity against battleship's shell & accuracy, etc.)

Edited by Sir_Feather

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
716 posts
5,722 battles

Want realism? Join the navy!!

All you need is physically fit, good social skill and able to punch a few people in their face if they looked funny!

Edited by spixys
  • Funny 3

[CLAY]
1,623 posts
9,517 battles

If this game were more realistic, I would probably stop playing it.

• Cool 1

[BZ]
701 posts
19,634 battles
14 hours ago, spixys said:

Want realism? Join the navy!!

All you need is physically fit, good social skill and able to punch a few people in their face if they looked funny!

Can confirm.

Alpha Tester
993 posts
3,807 battles

WG own video Bad Advice number 5

Everyone was extremely anti-island camping a few years ago, then the maps started getting more and more islands, and then we got more and more dakka-dakkas.

Now it's the main tactic.

My favourite map is ocean, though it seems to be the rarest one in the rotation, and the ships where I completely excel in on a map with NO ISLANDS?.  dakka-dakkas!.

[FORCE]
611 posts
9,411 battles
40 minutes ago, Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart said:

WG own video Bad Advice number 5

Everyone was extremely anti-island camping a few years ago, then the maps started getting more and more islands, and then we got more and more dakka-dakkas.

Now it's the main tactic.

My favourite map is ocean, though it seems to be the rarest one in the rotation, and the ships where I completely excel in on a map with NO ISLANDS?.  dakka-dakkas!.

Thar one was for battleships though. And most dakka-dakka ships that exist today are completely not suitable for open water engagements with only few exceptions like Henri IV, Soviet DDs, French DDs, etc.

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,881 posts
5,694 battles

TL/DR.  OP has told us all this isn't a sim.

I can now sleep at night.

• Funny 7

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
716 posts
5,722 battles
6 分前、RalphTheTheatreCat の発言:

TL/DR.  OP has told us all this isn't a sim.

I can now sleep at night.

So will you get insomnia if he ever told you the opposite.

[TLS]
2,376 posts
17,927 battles
1 hour ago, Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart said:

Agreed. Best map is ocean. Should appear 50% of the time. Not for discussion.

Also the most realistic for combat. I don't see island(s) when Bismarck was being hunted. Nor when Hood went Megumi.

Basically this game is like a dream. Unrealistic fantasies.

3,196 posts
6,822 battles
13 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Agreed. Best map is ocean. Should appear 50% of the time. Not for discussion.

I find myself doing much better IN ANY SHIP without those pesky islands blocking my vision and my shells/torps. Also eff you island huggers.

Ocean best map. Ocean ONLY map.

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,881 posts
5,694 battles
3 hours ago, spixys said:

So will you get insomnia if he ever told you the opposite.

Don't do that.  You will confuse me.   Is it s sim?  Isn't it a sim?

• Funny 2

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,214 posts
4,635 battles

This is an Arcade, not a Simulation .

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
716 posts
5,722 battles
5 時間前、RalphTheTheatreCat の発言:

Is it s sim?  Isn't it a sim?

Let's help you with some features in this game:

- some ships are seem to be made of eucalyptus trees or with blessings from their local priests/priestess/shaman etc. on board.
because the gun holes, certain burn marks will magically disappear, and ships restored as a newborn within 2-3 mins - by pressing ONE key, you know, with warships that is bigger and heavier than a battalion of oil tankers.

- warships got their armor shot through does not cause flooding (only torpedoes do) - it's only being "over penetrated" - try make 2 holes that will go through your own boat and see if you call that an "over penetration" - while you prepare for a life jacket.

- According to this game, The Titanic had been hit by a torpedo called 'iceberg' and the captain has used the damage control party 10 secs ago, because only torpedoes cause flooding and he is just bad at ships.

Now tell me, where is the realistic/simulator part in this game? Apart from 85%(?) of the ships do exist in history

Edited by spixys
Grammar is a bitch.
  • Funny 2

Alpha Tester
993 posts
3,807 battles

Like I said my CLs excel in open ocean combat.

One of the CC's on youtube recently did an experiment, not using smoke or island cover, and always on the move, in a Friesland I think.

They found their win rate, ship abilities didn't change.

456 posts
5,376 battles

Of course it cannot be better than beer and pretzels.

Unlike these two, you cannot eat or drink WOWS.  Therefore you have no idea what it tastes like.

Warning: not responsible for any sort of metal poisoning.

• Funny 3

[ORCA]
19 posts
441 battles

so the general agreement is then its a beer and pretzel game. So why the hell do so many people treat it like its life and death, and get so upset over losing, or so full of bragging when

they win?

Its only entertainment, fun time killer.

So, if WOW is so determined to destroy the fun with 6 cv games, whats left?

The new competing games being announced on U tube

Enjoy WOW for a little longer, soon I fear the servers will be empty of players.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,617 posts
4 minutes ago, ogowa said:

Enjoy WOW for a little longer, soon I fear the servers will be empty of players.

All except the Co-op area.....