Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Project45_Opytny

Genoese Civil War

15 comments in this topic

1,297 posts
5,423 battles

GenoveseBattle.thumb.jpg.25bcdbb2e4515be8b9b865be685ec05a.jpg

Directive 4 of the Italian Cruisers event becomes available today. As many players decide that they would cherry-pick the two easiest missions related with the Italian cruisers, I have run into such a match just now, with a total of 9 Italian cruisers (7 of which marked in red are Genova) in the two teams of 12 ships each. In addition to those Genovas, there is also a Trento, who has carried the whole team, and a Montecuccoli (marked in green) in the Friendly team.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the Simplified Chinese game interface which has translated the names of the ships into Chinese language.

[4RSE]
244 posts
6,182 battles

The Italian cruiser missions are the easiest to complete, so probably everyone is doing them first to get them out of the way. One battle tonight there were 5 Genova's on the red team and 3 on the green team with a equal share of Monte's and Trento's as well. I only did 7 battles tonight (4 in Genova) and nearly every battle had 2 CV's and only 1 DD. Only the last battle there was 4 DD's on each team. I suspect tomorrow there will be only a small number of Italian cruisers.

• Cool 1

[TQL]
43 posts
3,609 battles

i thought u were complaining about sooooo many genovas

until i see u use it yourself🤣

genova is really power against dds

but seems not working when fighting against bbs

[-CAT-]
1,778 posts
10,319 battles

So many Genova. Must be trying to revive or summon Sephiroth.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Funny 2

1,297 posts
5,423 battles
10 minutes ago, ContraXY said:

i thought u were complaining about sooooo many genovas

until i see u use it yourself🤣

genova is really power against dds

but seems not working when fighting against bbs

I am not complaining, just expressing what an interesting game the Matchmaker had created :)

Like many fellow players, I cherry-picked the two missions that require Italian cruisers and was using Genova to grind them then. Then I ran into such a game with so many Italian cruisers. In fact I even had a friendly conversation with those Italian cruiser players (who were also grinding the Directive), both in the Green team and in the Red team, via the in-game chatting channel about the boat herself and which third-party accelerator (lag-reduction) service works best.

I have completed 3 of the 8 missions (Genova XP, Italian cruisers Dmg and 10 Victories) required this night and another 2 (Cruisers base XP and Commander XP) within striking distance. Then there would be 3 more difficult ones... spam Jean Bart, Nelson Halloween Maverick and Magnu-S hard to grind Battleship base XP while grinding for credits at the same time, use every ship eligible, especially cruisers (bar the Italian and British ones), to set fires and land citadel hits... and then choose one task that would be easier to complete and get 3 containers with 250 tokens. Then I would purchase the Permanent camo for Trento, Zara and Amalfi, as I have wasted quite a few tokens on containers, but have already completed the XP grind for Trento also while the maintenance fee for a T5 ship is rather low which makes the service cost reduction much less important. And wait for Patch 0.8.10 to explore the Italian cruisers further.

You can see I have done poorly in that match... Genova is still too fragile but not agile enough to compensate that. Her range is just so-so, but the reload is horrible and the SAP shells are still rather inconsistent due to the damage saturation mechanic, unability to start fires and rack up DoT, angling and other factors like upper armor belts etc. They do hurt soft targets hard though.

• Cool 1

[TQL]
43 posts
3,609 battles
11 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I am not complaining, just expressing what an interesting game the Matchmaker had created 🙂

Like many fellow players, I cherry-picked the two missions that require Italian cruisers and was using Genova to grind them then. Then I ran into such a game with so many Italian cruisers. In fact I even had a friendly conversation with those Italian cruiser players (who were also grinding the Directive), both in the Green team and in the Red team, via the in-game chatting channel about the boat herself and which third-party accelerator (lag-reduction) service works best.

I have completed 3 of the 8 missions (Genova XP, Italian cruisers Dmg and 10 Victories) required this night and another 2 (Cruisers base XP and Commander XP) within striking distance. Then there would be 3 more difficult ones... spam Jean Bart, Nelson Halloween Maverick and Magnu-S hard to grind Battleship base XP while grinding for credits at the same time, use every ship eligible, especially cruisers (bar the Italian and British ones), to set fires and land citadel hits... and then choose one task that would be easier to complete and get 3 containers with 250 tokens. Then I would purchase the Permanent camo for Trento, Zara and Amalfi, as I have wasted quite a few tokens on containers, but have already completed the XP grind for Trento also while the maintenance fee for a T5 ship is rather low which makes the service cost reduction much less important. And wait for Patch 0.8.10 to explore the Italian cruisers further.

You can see I have done poorly in that match... Genova is still too fragile but not agile enough to compensate that. Her range is just so-so, but the reload is horrible and the SAP shells are still rather inconsistent due to the damage saturation mechanic, unability to start fires and rack up DoT, angling and other factors like upper armor belts etc. They do hurt soft targets hard though.

i just played with my friend and his genova got 20k damage in his head from a kongo or some bb else just after being spotted by plane at the very beginning lamo😂 and the reloading time feels really like a century long. 

i think wg designs italian ships as a counter-dd role in the game. it really works in this meta but since there are so many radars in high tier and many cvs in lower tiers, there arent that many dds in the game.the experience will definitely be very bad if there is only 1 or 2 dds on one side.

Edited by ContraXY

1,297 posts
5,423 battles
4 minutes ago, ContraXY said:

i just played with my friend and his genova got 20k damage from a kongo or some bb else just after being spotted by plane at the very beginning lamo😂 and the reloading time feels really like a century long. 

i think wg designs italian ships as a counter-dd role in the game. it really is in this meta but since there are so many radars in high tier and many cvs in lower tiers, there arent that many dds in the game.the experience will definitely be very bad if there is only 1 or 2 dds on one side.

I checked my screenshots and found that I have just made a Montecuccoli game with 62k dmg and a Genova game with 86k dmg yesterday... though the Genova game was a T4~5 one and I farmed damage on three enemy CVLs. I rushed on my flank and overcame enemies there but the other flank collapsed. In the Monte game I ran and gunned with a Sierra Mike signal bumped my top speed to 38.9-kts just like in Emile Bertin; after gunning down an Aoba showing her broadside with point-blank AP salvoes I ran and gunned about 4 enemies, including a Dunkerque and a Dallas, by myself while retreating.

Trento, Zara and Amalfi may work rather differently in contrast to Montecuccoli. Also in terms of destroyers hunting (the Condottieri-class family would be proud about that), a problem is that tech-tree Italian cruisers lack hydro. Though Vigilance can mitigate that, that would be a heavy captain-skill investment.

Let's see how will WG tweak the SAP shells and the Italian ships in the future...

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,322 posts
14,524 battles

That game doesn't seem to be too bad for the players involved tbh. Plenty of thinly armored cruisers for SAP to do good damage on.

1,297 posts
5,423 battles
20 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

That game doesn't seem to be too bad for the players involved tbh. Plenty of thinly armored cruisers for SAP to do good damage on.

Yep, for example that Trento who carried the whole game.

[151ST]
2,121 posts
9,382 battles

The 'premium' camos for the RM CAs literally look identical to the each of the ships without camo... ...

So pissed off with that!!!

• Funny 1

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles
7 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

The 'premium' camos for the RM CAs literally look identical to the each of the ships without camo... ...

So pissed off with that!!!

On the flip,

noone realise you have the sekrit bonus even if it looks alike.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,121 posts
9,382 battles
1 hour ago, Brunswickz said:

On the flip,

noone realise you have the sekrit bonus even if it looks alike.

Yeah but no one knows I have amazing camo that means I have money or I play too much!

• Funny 1

1,297 posts
5,423 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Yeah but no one knows I have amazing camo that means I have money or I play too much!

There are some subtle differences probably, like no rust or rough, orange peel-like appearence of the hull plating. Also they appear like regular Camouflages rather than "skin"s from some previous events that altered the visual model significantly, and I do not like to see my ships to appear too "out of place" from the theme. Though the game is no where realistic from the beginning...

I have also ran into a game with 3 Jean Barts on each side just now when using her to grind the Battleship XP task as well as to generate some more credits. That was an intense, fierce battle that lasted a whole 20 minutes, with only one heavily damaged Saint-Louis in Green team and a hidden Asashio in the Red one remain afloat at that point. We won by a narrow margin in Points, I devestruck an unlucky Buffalo and deleted an Irian at the beginning of the game before succumbed to the combined efforts of torpedo stirke from that said Asashio and two enemy battleships. Though the key to the successful torpedo strike was the very unhealthy camping style positioning of myself.

shot-19_11.06_19_41.32-0042.thumb.jpg.78fb0968afd87d08ce204d238181ba3c.jpg

By now I have completed the two missions mentioned last night and have made considerable progress on the tasks of Battleship XP, XP grind and Land Citadels/Fires/Torpedoes/Floodings. Only a couple of regular games in battleships are needed to complete the Battleships XP grind, and then return to grind Donskoi and spam HE to set fires. Those are basically what I would do next.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[151ST]
2,121 posts
9,382 battles

Yeah I realise they are technically a tiny bit different... TBH I wouldn't have bothered getting them if I'd known. I just assumed they'd be like every other nations perma camos...

1,297 posts
5,423 battles

Ran into another game with 3 Jean Barts per side (including me myself)...

Completed the Grind and finished the Italian Cruisers Event Part 1. Received 3 regular containers and nothing besides consolation items as usual. Special premium camouflages for Trento, Zara and Amalfi exchanged with around 230 tokens left.

Sign in to follow this