You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Yugumo : Smoke or Reload Boost?

Best Yugumo Build  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best one to take?

• Torpedo Reload Booster
    • Smokescreen Generator

17 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,239 posts
11,115 battles

This has been bothering me all through, and now I'm a game or two away from Shimakaze settlement of the issue is long overdue.

I played Shiratsuyu TRB. I played Kagero TRB. So I played Yugumo TRB but I've lost confidence that this was the right choice.

At the heart of it is potential. If I take TRB I have to play a little more conservatively so on average I'm launching more torps from less ideal positions. With smoke I have that safety so here I'm launching fewer torps but from better positions since I can typically risk getting a little closer. Yugumo guns are far from bad, so being able to smoke-and-gun has significant value when engaging enemy destroyers, or when cap contesting generally.  A smokescreen can also be useful for cleaning out wounded capital ships late game, and it's a get out of jail free card in CV games, of which there are more of these days.

On the other hand more torps is more torps. Sending 16 instead of 8 is often the difference between a dodge and a secured kill.

What think you?

Edited by Rina_Pon

[TLS]
4,224 posts
20,371 battles

DFAA.

Runs fast.

But honestly, an AA build IJN Torpboat still mauls planes badly.

[AN-DO]
677 posts
9,966 battles

I run TRB, if you play it right you can do well even in a CV match, you just have to be extra vigilant on where the enemy CVs planes are and where your support ships are. Then again I'm a little crazy and tend to run stupid setups so maybe don't listen to me unless you sometimes like to fly by the seat of your pants, in which case run TRB :cap_rambo:

[BLESS]
1,239 posts
11,115 battles
30 minutes ago, blauflamme22 said:

I run TRB, if you play it right you can do well even in a CV match, you just have to be extra vigilant on where the enemy CVs planes are and where your support ships are. Then again I'm a little crazy and tend to run stupid setups so maybe don't listen to me unless you sometimes like to fly by the seat of your pants, in which case run TRB :cap_rambo:

There's nothing stupid about TRB Yugumo, and if you can do well without smoke in Kagero and Shiratsuyu there's no reason you can't do well without smoke in Yugumo too. It's just that it's not obvious if this is the best setup for Yugumo, where it fairly clearly is the best setup for the other two.

Of course it is entirely possible that Yugumo is designed to be equally good in either configuration, in which case there is no answer to my question.

I am trying out the smokescreen. Will report back how it goes. I'm going to have to get used to it anyway, moving to Shima...

[TLS]
4,224 posts
20,371 battles
5 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I am trying out the smokescreen. Will report back how it goes. I'm going to have to get used to it anyway, moving to Shima...

Shima needs TRB.

• Funny 2

1,160 posts
11,077 battles
5 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

But honestly, an AA build IJN Torpboat still mauls planes badly.

Only if the CV player is completely incompetent.......

[TLS]
4,224 posts
20,371 battles
8 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Muffled laughter.

Muffled*bringbalansbacktothegame*laughter

[CLAY]
2,841 posts
12,654 battles
2 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Shima needs TRB.

YES! To compensate for slow torps with high detection range. :Smile_trollface:

[MRI]
3,610 posts
15,531 battles

It comes down to personal preference imo.

I know a lot of people swear by TRB, but I personally prefer smoke because it is much more versatile. It allows you to smoke up allies and also functions as a safety net in case you get ambushed. Yuugumo has pretty decent guns, so you can actually smoke up and do some good damage against enemy DDs. But most importantly smoke is a great tool in CV matches. With smoke, you can continue capping even when the enemy CV has their sights on you. IJN DD smoke is long enough for you to solo cap in Domination matches, assuming nothing interrupts the cap. It is also just long enough that CVs wouldn't want to waste their time hanging around above your smoke.

I do have one thing to say about TRB though, use it only if you know what you are doing. And if you do use TRB, it is highly recommended to get RPF. Because if you get caught out by a Kitakaze or some other gunboat DD, you are not going to last long. And some gunboat DDs like Kidd and Cossack have very competitive concealment, so RPF helps prevent you from running headlong into one of them and getting wiped.

Edited by Thyaliad

[LBAS]
4,920 posts
11,037 battles

Satety first although you have best concealment DD 5.4km but you will spotted by planes OR radar and hydro searchs.

For me? I use gun boat because if I saw their DD within 6 km then I SHOOT. 

Edited by THAI_THIEF

48 posts
10,850 battles

TRB 4 lyfe, though I find that it's been powercreeped by other DDs that have better concealed torps. Jap DDs need a torp buff in their concealment I believe, that or their speed.

[-CAT-]
2,513 posts
11,618 battles

Just a thought or idea,

T5 Minekaze
T6 Hatsuharu
T7 Shiratsuyu (Yudachi is premium)
T8 Arashio (Asashio is premium and experiment)
T9 Kagero
T10 Yugumo

Ships from T6 onwards will be able to use both Smoke and TRB. There is a catch, torpedos are Asashio DWT. (Minekaze has already fast torpedo reload. No TRB for Minekaze)

T5 Chidori
T6 Otori
T7 Matsu / Tachibana

T8 Akizuki
T9 Kitekaze
T10 Harugumo

These ships will replace the gunboat line.
These ships has one thing in common, only one set of torpedo launcher.
Also has access to both Smoke and TRB. Armed with regular Japan torpedo. (Chidori has no TRB. 2 x 1 torpedo tubes reloads fast.)

T5 Mutsuki
T6 Fubuki
T7 Ayanami
T8 Akatsuki
T9 Shimakaze
T10 Super Shimakaze (Hayate is premium)

Vanilla IJN DD.
T6 onwards armed with 3 sets of torpedo tubes. It is enough to demolish most opponent without TRB.
Smoke and TRB are choice.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

I used to use Smoke.

Yuugumo has the same HE DPM as Tashkent if im not mistaken. Granted if both has the same skill set.

She just lack turret traverse and HP pool.

To put it simple, torp reload booster score is 10, Smoke is 40.

Smoke just have a lot more utilities than the booster.

At least use Shimakaze if you plan to use booster with no smoke, and use the 20km torp.

Even with the booster Yuugu not gonna win agasint Benham anyway in a torp sling fight.

15 torps and range can somewhat make it doable, granted if you're playing super campy or cautious.