Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Project45_Opytny

Personal thoughts on Montecuccoli

13 comments in this topic

802 posts
3,469 battles

She works, though not so wonderfully.

I got my Montecuccoli via an Italian cruisers container given for free this morning and I have taken her out for three games just now. In my opinion, she works and is at least much better than Genova.

Her top speed of 37-knots is capable of speed-tanking like Emile Bertin given the average marksmanship and accuracy of the low to mid-tier battleships she may face. Yes, in many aspects she is indeed disappointing: slow reload and sluggish turrent handling for a light cruiser, unreliable and inconsistent Semi-AP shells and tricky slow torpedoes, and rather mediocre shell ballistics. I haven't used her Full-Throttle Smokescreen much yet as I directly applied the tactics for Emile Bertin for her, namely running and gunning and that has been working fine. On the other hand, it has been said that the Italian smokescreen should be used as a gimmick to pull back from difficult situations rather than smoke camping due to their charactistics.

Giussano and Amalfi may work in similiar ways, while Trento and Zara would present new challenges as their speed are only "good" as cruisers.

[TLS]
2,894 posts
18,239 battles
57 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Giussano and Amalfi may work in similiar ways, while Trento and Zara would present new challenges as their speed are only "good" as cruisers.

Yes. I can vouch that Amuffin works as you have described. You have to basically be in the right place at the right time to deal decent damage. My last battle with Amuffin involved a spiral of death dance with a Lenin in coop. Which I survived thanks to me managing to get to his butt and then shoving AP up before he could delete me.

I will be honest here. The spaghetti cruisers may work better on the 3 show broadside servers as the players present all sort of opportunities to die. On Asia, you are dealing with half the population who are in the cautious/overcautious group (the unicum group and their opposing "do not want to take damage" group) who won't let your SAP work.

3,572 posts
7,278 battles

This server is also plagued by BB overpopulation and each and everyone of them outranges cruisers and LOVES to hang back to "snipe", so I need to play overly cautious to do... anything, anything at all. 

This is the server that breaks anything and everything. Maybe ships in this server needs different stats from other servers.

[SPCTH]
326 posts
7,129 battles

I played 3 games and won 2, dealing 17k dmg average. Shelling hundreds. All i can say is that its pretty trash

[TLS]
2,894 posts
18,239 battles

The plague of BB is due to the fact there are no restrictions on the number of ship types in a 'task force'. A game with 1 CV/2BB/4CA(L) and 5DD would be more realistic. But hey, waiting times are sooo important.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALT]
1,628 posts
9,786 battles

41.5k Avrg damage with her over 3 games

Still Shity ship. its tendius to play. and good lord I have High level Cesare comander to use

that piece of crap need to creep looking for good position (Low lv Matchmaking have 2 or 3 CV - thrown to mid tier you have no range), I dont even want to try play that thing witout CE.

I heard upper tier (Trento) is even have worse stealh. and Zara also suck. 🤣

Edited by humusz

[FORCE]
921 posts
10,061 battles

For a light cruiser, this ship is greatly neutered by the low RoF. I mean the good odd Kirov has the godly ballistic to compensate it. The smoke is useful to rush a crippled BB. But due to the small amount of torps, you can only use the tactic to deal the final blow in the late game.

3,572 posts
7,278 battles

Somehow the Monte plays much more comfortable than the Trento for me. Don't know why at all. Maybe the tier bracket.

[NLG]
186 posts
4,183 battles

Got the ship, she feels pretty decent but it may be due to the lower player skill at those levels.

As a T5, she doesn't get the terrible Italian concealment yet. And being 152mm, the SAP also has improved angles, which makes it more usable than 203mm.

152mm SAP is more than enough to pen the BB decks at those tiers. 203mm is only good for letting your AP overmatch other cruisers. So 152mm benefits SAP more.

[FORCE]
921 posts
10,061 battles
32 minutes ago, Verytis said:

152mm SAP is more than enough to pen the BB decks at those tiers. 203mm is only good for letting your AP overmatch other cruisers. So 152mm benefits SAP more.

Interestingly, the 152mm SAP is capable to citadel Omaha from the bow. Although facing against an Omaha (ran by a decent player of course) for a longer duration is very costly due to the latter being more efficient & consistent at trading damage.

[TLS]
2,894 posts
18,239 battles
19 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Interestingly, the 152mm SAP is capable to citadel Omaha from the bow. Although facing against an Omaha (ran by a decent player of course) for a longer duration is very costly due to the latter being more efficient & consistent at trading damage.

Ravioli cruisers need a bumper sticker: "Please don't shoot me because I cannot return fire as fast as you"

• Funny 1

[SPCTH]
326 posts
7,129 battles
9 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

This, exactly same for me. I was chasing another Monte and a Omaha, with the Monte focus on other ships showing me broad from 10km, i was dishing out volleys of 2-3k dmg, also at 8km i was chasing the Omaha who was slinging shells my way but he had bad aim as i was evading while shooting at both of them. Ended up get 55k damage. Not bad for a Monte, for me that is.

Sign in to follow this