Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S0und_Theif

Well it finally happened (WGC in WOT) WOWS will follow soon

13 comments in this topic

[-CAT-]
1,754 posts
10,281 battles

Well it finally happened in WOT. Migration to WGC. WOWS will follow suit soon. Inside the folder there is a WGC_API exe. So will be foreced to update not far in the future. Even though WGC is buggy.

There goes my Linux experience. "Crumples a paper and throws it away. -_-"

Feels like Windows 10's forced update. "sigh -_-"

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/general-news/wgc-migration-october/

Any idea if WGC is improved compared to the last announcement in April?

Buggy, bloated, resource hungry, too much ads.

I like the legacy launcher cuz it's simple and it works out of the box.

Change is good, but don't fix something that is not broken.

I'm not mad. I'm not complaining (much). I'm just, disappointed.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 2

[FORCE]
2,011 posts
10,960 battles

I only use WGC to access the Public Test server & to update WoWs (old launcher cannot update with WGC installed). The old problems are still persistent, the change in April only minimizes the WGC into tray automatically but it still consumes more resources like usual.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
3,850 posts
19,734 battles

That is why I have a direct shortcut to the exe. Avoid the launcher garbage. 

The only launcher I tolerate is the Stellaris one. Because it is useful as the mod controller.

• Cool 2

[-CAT-]
1,754 posts
10,281 battles

@Sir_Feather

@dejiko_nyo

Thanks for your inputs. It seems some players have quit WOT because of WGC (according to the forum).

It is becoming an industry standard. Only fix the product or software when your customer starts leaving. It is a stupid standard.

I sense friction between WG management and the individual games they develop. (LOTR LOTG. One ring game master to rule control them all.)

On the other hand, WGC is now becoming some what like Steam Client or GOG. Storing libraries of games in 1 room. Maybe soon War Thunder will be part of WGC. LOL.

1 more question, is WGC being detected as malware or spyware by your AV (anti-virus) or IS (internet security) programs? Thanks in advance.

[CLAY]
2,474 posts
11,494 battles

Huh.

I though we were forced to move to the WGC a while back, away from the specific WoWS launcher?

I took the option to move before forced, and never had a real issue.

[-CAT-]
1,754 posts
10,281 battles
7 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Huh.

I though we were forced to move to the WGC a while back, away from the specific WoWS launcher?

Not entirely. You can still get the legacy launcher in both WOWS and WOT and still play the game. Only WOWP does not have a legacy launcher.

Up until yesterday (Oct. 21) WOT finally killed their legacy launcher in ASIA and NA, and will not let you play the game until you update to WGC.

But in EU and RU/CIS WOT WGC clients is mandatory and does not offer a legacy launcher option. Else, no play.

Also, Steam has also pulled out WOT (PC) in their client. That must be also running on the Legacy Launcher. WOT Blitz and WOT Console is still available, though people would still highly prefer the PC client.

WOWS legacy launcher still works. But for how long, who knows.....

Edited by S0und_Theif

[LBAS]
2,853 posts
14,030 battles

WoWs in WGC? Heck no.

i still prefer the WoWs classic Client, WGC is entirely disgusting.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
2,011 posts
10,960 battles
2 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

1 more question, is WGC being detected as malware or spyware by your AV (anti-virus) or IS (internet security) programs? Thanks in advance.

Nope my Spy Hunter (anti virus) does not detect it as anything.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
1,754 posts
10,281 battles
2 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

Nope my Spy Hunter (anti virus) does not detect it as anything.

Thank you  very much for your update and input. 🙂 I will give it a try next time. Since I don't play a lot of WOT lately, I'll take a break in WOT for now. 🙂

2 hours ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

WoWs in WGC? Heck no.

i still prefer the WoWs classic Client, WGC is entirely disgusting.

I can't say good thing about WGC, but I also can't say a lot of bad things in WGC

The good:

PTS.

WGC is becoming more like Steam Client or GOG. A library of games under 1 client. Will WGC allow Steam games into their client? Since Steam allowed them to host WOT and WOWS into their client.

Update:

Verified that WOT (PC) is no longer available in Steam. Steam WOT (PC) uses legacy launcher.  Only WOT blitz and WOT console is available.

The bad:

What is the industry standard? WG industry standard or gaming industry standard?

Legacy launchers are easy to maintain compared to WGC. In WGC, developers must obey what WGC direction is. If WGC require changes, developers will have to follow the changes and / or alter their previous codes to meet WGC changes or standards. Even if it is a bad move from WG side, all the games inside the client may leave a bad image. It just leaves a bad taste to gamers. Plus, it is more labor intensive to adjust the codes in WGC. One wrong comma or apostrophe can cause disastrous results and / or a broken client. If the client is broken, you cannot play any game. Not to mention the downtime to look for the cause of the issue, and patch the issue.

As a developer's perspective, WGC requires constant changes (which is good for an evolving world). While the legacy launcher requires only minimal to none changes (it is like a rock. solid and stable).

Kind of like Ubuntu Linux. 1 LTS and 1 RR
RR (Rolling Release) - Latest and greatest, but unstable and buggy.
LTS (Long Term Service) - Stable, but lags behind in updates.

I just feel WGC has more cons than pros. I could be wrong.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[MRI]
3,306 posts
14,494 battles

I have been using WGC ever since the CV rework TST, which required its installation. So far, I haven't had any issue with the WGC despite the horror stories I have been hearing about. Maybe I got off lucky.

With that said though, I still preferred the original launcher. WGC is only really useful if you have multiple WG titles installed imo.

• Cool 3

[-CAT-]
1,754 posts
10,281 battles
36 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I have been using WGC ever since the CV rework TST, which required its installation. So far, I haven't had any issue with the WGC despite the horror stories I have been hearing about. Maybe I got off lucky.

With that said though, I still preferred the original launcher. WGC is only really useful if you have multiple WG titles installed imo.

I wonder what magic or technique you use to make it behave. I have been reading nothing but negativity on WGC.

Glad to see at least some positivity.

I may need some tutorial on how to use this though. But that will be in the future.

Edited by S0und_Theif

578 posts
1,581 battles
12 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Huh.

I moved to WGC earlier, then WG support recommended to re-install with the classic launcher as WGC failed to update the game multiple times.

62 posts
6,678 battles

Been fine for me.  I do always quit it once in game as I find it a resource hog.

Would be nice if it could associate an account with a game insrance automatically though.  If I switch between NA and SEA I have to change user account as well.

Otherwise not the horror stories I'd heard or anticipated also receiving.

Sign in to follow this