Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

[WoWS new news] No. 20 - New test ships, Ranked Sprint 1v1 and new ship construction for New Year (?)

33 comments in this topic

4,203 posts
8,055 battles

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary and subject to change. Described mechanics and other elements may differ from the final version.

New ships in test

British cruiser Cheshire, tier VIII

Is a variant of HMS Bedford. Armed with three turrets with two guns with a caliber of 234 mm.

Soviet battleship Borodino, tier VIII

Post-war project of small battleship for the Baltic sea. Armed with two turrets with three 406 mm guns from the battleship Sovetsky Soyuz.

Ranked Sprint

We are currently testing a new battle format - "1 vs 1" on tier VIII ships. Full details of the Ranked Sprint will be announced later on the official portal.

New Year celebrations, the Shipyard and ship construction

In the New Year update you can look forward to a completely new in-game event - full-scale ship construction. But what ship? Stay tuned for more details!

Players will have to go through all stages of construction - from laying the keel to the installation of weapons and deck equipment. Important stages of construction can be tracked directly in the game client.

Building a ship is a long and time-consuming process, so each of the stages will be accompanied with a nice set of rewards.

Opinions:

3x2 234 mm at T8? :cap_hmm:

1v1 same ship type I hope, otherwise it'd be very "funny"

BUT WHAT SHIP??? HMS London. I'm calling it now.

Edited by Paladinum

728 posts
19,634 battles
54 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Ranked Sprint

We are currently testing a new battle format - "1 vs 1" on tier VIII ships. Full details of the Ranked Sprint will be announced later on the official portal.

That is probably the dumbest thing I'll read all day.

• Funny 1

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
5,249 battles

Im going to bring Roma and/or Monarch All damn day if its BB vs BB match.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

4,203 posts
8,055 battles
2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

In the New Year update you can look forward to a completely new in-game event - full-scale ship construction. But what ship? Stay tuned for more details!

Players will have to go through all stages of construction - from laying the keel to the installation of weapons and deck equipment. Important stages of construction can be tracked directly in the game client.

Most likely HMS London... Battle of North Cape and all that jazz

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
5,249 battles
4 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Most likely HMS London... Battle of North Cape and all that jazz

should be mildly time comsuming, giving like how DoY was a thing.

I might get a Free County Class anyway.

1,115 posts
4,715 battles

Erh, pre-accuracy buff Furutaka/Exeter on steriods at T8, since even though the British 234-mm rifles are planned as a part of their Large Cruisers project but still enjoys regular cruiser dispersion?

I am also thinking about what other "designs" like that can be made in future.

Borodino... I do not oppose these post-war projects before the dawn of the age of missiles, but where is that pre-dreadnought? Or that is just an official April Fools' Day joke?

Another form for a marathon event is welcome though I doubt how much time can I use to grind that.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
5,249 battles
3 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Erh, pre-accuracy buff Furutaka/Exeter on steriods at T8, since even though the British 234-mm rifles are planned as a part of their Large Cruisers project but still enjoys regular cruiser dispersion?

I am also thinking about what other "designs" like that can be made in future.

Borodino... I do not oppose these post-war projects before the dawn of the age of missiles, but where is that pre-dreadnought? Or that is just an official April Fools' Day joke?

Another form for a marathon event is welcome though I doubt how much time can I use to grind that.

can use that for Tsushima Event if that happens. Mikasa vs Borodino.

[FORCE]
1,649 posts
10,066 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Post-war project of small battleship for the Baltic sea. Armed with two turrets with three 406 mm guns from the battleship Sovetsky Soyuz.

So basically... a Soviet version of Richelieu/Jean Bart.

I think the Soviet paper BBs are too creative, way too creative they make the better versions of the already existing ships.

Lenin = Soviet Nelson

Vladivostok = Soviet Roma (looks better than Roma though)

Sovetsky Soyuz = Soviet Iowa/Missouri with Yamato lower hull. 

Slava = BB Moskva

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
5,249 battles
22 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

I think the Soviet paper BBs are too creative, way too creative they make the better versions of the already existing ships.

Lenin = Soviet Nelson

Slava = BB Moskva

dont forget Poltava. a Tier VII Vladivostok but with 356mm gun.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

1,115 posts
4,715 battles
40 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Lenin = Soviet Nelson

Slava = BB Moskva

The Sovetsky Soyuz project has more relationship with Italian naval architecture (though with many questionable details and construction quality), while the post-war Project 24 shows more influence from the Iowa-class.

Also I remember there is a similiar "Mini-cruiser-killer" project, armed with 6 305-mm main guns in three twin turrents in an AB-X layout. However that project may be difficult to implent in-game even with regular cruiser dispersion.

17300-ton (American ton), 120000 shp, 710-ft/216.4-m length, 74-ft/22.6-m beam and 24.5-ft/7.5-m draft with a general configuration resembling an enlarged Baltimore. A parallel-project with CA-B as the engineers found that a twin 305-mm mount weighs roughly the same as a triple 203-mm mount.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[FORCE]
1,649 posts
10,066 battles
47 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The Sovetsky Soyuz project has more relationship with Italian naval architecture (though with many questionable details and construction quality), while the post-war Project 24 shows more influence from the Iowa-class.

Yeah that's why I said it Soviet Iowa. The conning tower looks very similar. And the Soviet Navy itself hired several Italian naval designers which led up to the similarity in ship designs of both navies.

4,203 posts
8,055 battles

Can we have a super cruiser version of Richelieu? Tone, obviously, doesn't count.

(if it's French it probably will be)

1,115 posts
4,715 battles

The French has a cruiser-killer esque project in the 1920s with 3 quad 305-mm main guns in AB-X arrangement. Seems suited for a T10 super cruiser, however, she needs significant modernization or rework (to the extent that perhaps only the concept remains) due to her nature of a design done in 1920s.

4,203 posts
8,055 battles
48 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The French has a cruiser-killer esque project in the 1920s with 3 quad 305-mm main guns in AB-X arrangement. Seems suited for a T10 super cruiser, however, she needs significant modernization or rework (to the extent that perhaps only the concept remains) due to her nature of a design done in 1920s.

Like in-game Conq/Thund. Not surprising seeing how many 'hypothetical' designs that are already in the game. 

(it feels like the research and 3D model departments are the only departments within WG deserve any praise. The balance department seems to do a particularly poor job)

[SMOKE]
1,495 posts
14,078 battles

1 vs 1 that is a real bad joke if they ever want that they can made a game mode for that easily and just call it Duelling ; with a single area to be contested ;  DD and CV not allowed ... 

Edited by Mechfori

[-CAT-]
1,303 posts
9,522 battles
11 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary and subject to change. Described mechanics and other elements may differ from the final version.

New ships in test

British cruiser Cheshire, tier VIII

Is a variant of HMS Bedford. Armed with three turrets with two guns with a caliber of 234 mm.

Ranked Sprint

Building a ship is a long and time-consuming process, so each of the stages will be accompanied with a nice set of rewards.

Opinions:

3x2 234 mm at T8? :cap_hmm:

1v1 same ship type I hope, otherwise it'd be very "funny"

BUT WHAT SHIP??? HMS London. I'm calling it now.

2 x ?? ships are becoming the new hype in WG. What's next, HMS Courageous (2 x 2 380 mm) or an 2 x 2 380 mm "Graf Spee type" ship?

I think WG devs went on a bar / pub, talked about the 3 v 3 clan brawl and now using that idea on ranked sprint. 1 v 1 is a bad idea. Many will do banzai tactic. 3 v 3 or 2 v 2 in a small area will be more comfortable (Div v Div might take a longer waiting time. Divisions, Assemble!). 4 v 4 if they want to annoy players, you know, CV.

New year event is probably both collection and ship. Like P.E. Friedrich.

Just like in Navy Field (I did not play), Its something in the realm of upgrading the guns without designing a new ship hull (Cheap but efficient if you are in a war situation).
12 x 356 mm upgrade to 8 x 406 mm
12 x 406 mm upgrade to 8 x 457 mm
Something like this. Can't explain it properly but hope you get the idea.

Edited by S0und_Theif

1,115 posts
4,715 battles
2 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

2 x ?? ships are becoming the new hype in WG. What's next, HMS Courageous (2 x 2 380 mm) or an 2 x 2 380 mm "Graf Spee type" ship?

I think WG devs went on a bar / pub, talked about the 3 v 3 clan brawl and now using that idea on ranked sprint. 1 v 1 is a bad idea. Many will do banzai tactic. 3 v 3 or 2 v 2 in a small area will be more comfortable (Div v Div might take a longer waiting time. Divisions, Assemble!). 4 v 4 if they want to annoy players, you know, CV.

Just like in Navy Field (I did not play), Its something in the realm of upgrading the guns without designing a new ship hull (Cheap but efficient if you are in a war situation).

T10 steel ship A-150 Super Yamato with Georgia's gimmicks?

Courageous-class would be very difficult to balance perhaps. Four 381-mm rifles and a laughable 76-mm belt (IRL the belt is even made of High-Tensile steel rather than proper armour steel). And non-existence World War-I period AA.

4,203 posts
8,055 battles
32 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Unfortunately, WoWS cannot afford that kind of customization unless it's something that WG already modeled and put into the game. You know, the module system. And WG love making slightly different premium ships out of tech tree ones because $$$.

32 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

No doubt it's HMS London :fish_book:

23 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

No gun larger than 460 mm, please. Yamato and Musashi are bad enough.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
1,303 posts
9,522 battles
38 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Courageous-class would be very difficult to balance perhaps. Four 381-mm rifles and a laughable 76-mm belt (IRL the belt is even made of High-Tensile steel rather than proper armour steel). And non-existence World War-I period AA.

A-150 Super Yamato was in one of my split suggestions. Also, 510 mm is IMO, too overpowered for a T10. It is in the realm of T11 or T12 in terms of range and power. Instead of 510 mm, Lets arm them with 480 mm. 6 guns.

Japan and Germany were the only 2 nations that has planned a 510mm and 480 mm guns. 480 mm is my limit. Either with a reload penalty, sigma penalty or range penalty on them.

UK CA has active manuvering armor, so AP shells will bounce if angled correctly (at least thats what Notser say). Courageous might also get all the UK gimmick (except AP only armament).
The heal, the active manuvering armor, and "possibly", smoke. Imagine smoke on a BC. Add a 20 sec reload, puts her in the realm of T5.
Might struggle as a T6 but possible assuming she was updated to look like HMS Renown (Queen Anne's mansion and massive AA upgrade. Secondaries could be either the twin 113 mm or the original single 152 mm. Aircraft?).

And replace Izumo "A-140 G" to Izumo "A-140 F". "A-140G" can be a freemium like Nelson and Lenin via Free XP

Edited by S0und_Theif

4,203 posts
8,055 battles
1 minute ago, S0und_Theif said:

Instead of 510 mm, Lets arm them with 480 mm. 6 guns.

NO gun bigger than 460 mm, thank you. 

1,115 posts
4,715 battles
6 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

A-150 Super Yamato was in one of my split suggestions. Also, 510 mm is IMO, too overpowered for a T10. It is in the realm of T11 or T12 in terms of range and power. Instead of 510 mm, Lets arm them with 480 mm. 6 guns.

Japan and Germany were the only 2 nations that has planned a 510mm and 480 mm guns. 480 mm is my limit. Either with a reload penalty, sigma penalty or range penalty on them.

UK CA has active manuvering armor, so AP shells will bounce if angled correctly (at least thats what Notser say). Courageous might also get all the UK gimmick (except AP only armament).
The heal, the active manuvering armor, and "possibly", smoke. Imagine smoke on a BC. Add a 20 sec reload, puts her in the realm of T5.
Might struggle as a T6 but possible assuming she was updated to look like HMS Renown (Queen Anne's mansion and massive AA upgrade. Secondaries could be either the twin 113 mm or the original single 152 mm).

And replace Izumo "A-140 G" to Izumo "A-140 F". "A-140G" can be a freemium like Nelson and Lenin via Free XP

That reminds me of a certain Alternative-History series posted on Combinedfleet.com, about a modernized Courageous-class as fast capital ships rather than CVs as history. 

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/gfintr_f.htm

Also should the Turrent C/X on the current Izumo be turned around?

Also what about Incomparable? Even if we tune it down to 3 twin 457-mm, as a classic British battlecruiser, she would be ill-suited to the brawling play style of Georgia. Perhaps like Thunderer we have to pick up an earlier concept of Georgia.

[-CAT-]
1,303 posts
9,522 battles
56 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

That reminds me of a certain Alternative-History series posted on Combinedfleet.com, about a modernized Courageous-class as fast capital ships rather than CVs as history. 

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/gfintr_f.htm

Also should the Turrent C/X on the current Izumo be turned around?

Also what about Incomparable? Even if we tune it down to 3 twin 457-mm, as a classic British battlecruiser, she would be ill-suited to the brawling play style of Georgia. Perhaps like Thunderer we have to pick up an earlier concept of Georgia.

LOL. Same library. = combinefleet

Slightly modified Lion chassis / hull armed with 3 x 2 457 mm = British Georgia.

Izumo "A-140 G" makes no sense other than teach pleayers how to bow tank. T8 Amagi and T10 Yamato has X, Y, Z turret and X turret respectively. Just does not feel and play right when transitioning.
Give me X turret, so that I can blap them when they chase my booty.
Unlike the french, at T8 they have 2 designs, A & B turret "Richelieu / JB" and A & X turret "Gascogne / Republique". The french can possibly have unique tech tree split gameplay in the future. But "A-140 G" has none.

1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

NO gun bigger than 460 mm, thank you. 

🤐

Edited by S0und_Theif

[SALT]
1,888 posts
10,504 battles
1 hour ago, S0und_Theif said:

No Need for Super Yamato.

on other thread, I once said that Yamato class was planned to have total of 11 ships. 510mm Gun was actualy Planned to Fit on Yamato Barbette. 5 Ships in Total, begining from Ship No. 797 was Planned for have Up Gunned to 510mm

456bf1ae8a.png

The Japanese Initial testing found that Yamato Barbette allowed this Upgrade to took place. Triple 460mm require roller path of 12.274mm and 14.74 meter of Barbette. and Twin 510mm require a min of 12m Roller path and aprox 15m of Barbette. The Initial study nevertheless was promising. and in 1940 its scheduled to undergone Feasability testing with Yamato class ship of 5th and 6th (No. 797 and No.798)

The 510mm Gun was to put it mildly....Brutal. Each gun weight 227 ton, and have lenght of 23.5 meter. the twin mount weight 2780 ton. the AP Projectile weight 1950 kg. and almost 2 meters tall. The 510mm/45 unofficial name is "Ko Ho" or simply "A Gun". and Ship No. 797 and No. 798 would have 6 of such a Gun

This once again, not Super Yamato class. its just a Yamato design update (Improved Yamato or called it Yamato Kai). planned after Shinano and its sister (No.111). Unlike Super Yamato, which Planned but never ordered - most of litterature around it was speculation and myth. Improved Yamato was actualy ordered - it have credicle source on specification, based on revision design post Shinano - and was also planned to be build. 

9f8c5f21ef.png

"Georgia treatment" spare nobody

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this