Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Project45_Opytny

Some random thoughts and questions

5 comments in this topic

1,145 posts
4,770 battles

1. How to play Italian cruisers most effectively?

I got Genova for free but has been struggling to make her work well. Her citadel is exposed which reminds me of Kirov, Shchors, Omaha and Pensacola. However, she lacks the range of Pensacola and the Soviet cruisers, nor is she as agile as Omaha, and her guns though handle well are heavily restricted by their sluggish reload (besides the obvious low RoF problem, such a slow reload made aiming correction more difficult as well and made misses and ricochets particularly frustrating) and tricky Semi-AP shells.

So, how to make the most out of the Semi-AP shells and the Full-Throttle Smokescreen gimmicks? Someone has suggested in another thread that the Italian smokescreen should be used primarily as a means of emergency escape (only 3 charges even with Superintendent and Premium ones), however with my questionable luck (I exchanged 4 Italian cruisers containers using my tokens yesterday morning and got nothing in return) it would be possible that I cannot try that out by myself until Patch 0.8.10.

And now it seems that a standard tech-tree Italian cruiser captain build would be PT-AR-SI-CE? The 25.7s turrent traverse of the heavy cruisers is decent, though the 30s of Montecuccoli would be a little sluggish for a CL. Maybe Vigilance would help to remedy the lack of Hydro? And would Smokescreen Expert help? Do they need Last Stand like the French cruisers?

2. What to do with my Free Experience?

After a long hesitation and indecision,  I burnt my stockpiled credits, purchased and fully-equipped Donskoi and Roon as I have been interseted in the former and would like to choose Hindenburg with her relatively low skill floor and "traditional" playstyle as my first Tier X, as well as Roon is more different from Hipper than Saint-Louis from Charles Martel. That two boats has almost depleted my credit stock (though worth all the investment), however, thanks to the wide proliferation of camouflages and signal flags with significant Fxp bonus, I have around 500K Fxp even after Fxping the stock modules to skip the stock grind. Is it worth exchanging Nelson now, or continuing daily routine and accumulating even more to 1 million and exchange Alaska monthes later? I already have Jean Bart exchanged with coal, while hasn't tried high-tier USN cruisers or battleships with their unique ballistics yet and I have read that Alaska performs somewhat like a Plus sized Baltimore.

3. About High-Tier French cruisers

As I have already burnt my credit stock on Donskoi and Roon (in addition, both of them work well without Range mod), I have to wait until I accumulate a sum of credits once again. However now there is a question about the two high-tier French cruisers: I have once seen in Chinese-speaking WoWS community that though Saint-Louis and Herni IV both share a lot of common French cruiser charactics, they are in fact different from their predecessors and most other low and mid-tier cruisers that they primarily use another handling technique (speed-juking?) rather than the common rudder shift hack to avoid enemy fire; besides Charles Martel being rather powerful at T8 which overshadowed Saint-Loius somewhat, Saint-Louis is also the transition stage between the traditional play style and the new play style of Herni IV, that is why a number of players have been complaining about Saint-Louis. However I cannot find the original text about that currently. Any veterans of French cruisers can help with this question? I have grind Charles Martel with a traditional cruiser build and rudder shift hack tactics.

Always, thanks in advance for suggestions and advices.

[KAMI]
1,368 posts
11,809 battles

SAP is very well explained by some of the CCs already

When u see a enemy destroyer/light cruiser, u throw SAP at him and he will feel the hurt

Battleship wise..all u can do is superstructure 

Smokescreen expert doesnt help, it only boost the radius of the smoke circle

The full throttle smoke radius is big enough already 

[MRI]
3,067 posts
14,037 battles
1 hour ago, Project45_Opytny said:

What to do with my Free Experience?

Depends on what holes in your roster need feeling. If you need a Premium USN cruiser, get Alaska. If you want a RN BB to spam Narai in, get Nelson. But of course most important is to get a ship you think you would enjoy using.

Otherwise, just keep accumulating your free xp if you aren't sure what to do with it. Don't feel compelled to spend it on a free xp ship if you aren't particularly interested in them. 

About High-Tier French cruisers

Yes speed juking is a common tactic for them. A French cruiser spamming HE from long range with proper speed juking can be extremely infuriating to deal with in a BB. Because even if you do aim correctly chances are you will just get an overpen or two, while he is setting you on fire constantly.

How to play Italian cruisers most effectively?

Don't have any of them yet. So can't help you there sorry.

729 posts
19,634 battles

The smoke screen is a tricky one because the Italian CA's have an absurdly high smoke firing penalty, in excess of 8km's at Tier VIII and even more at Tier X. As such, if you intend to use the smoke to fire from concealment, you need to be damn sure there isn't some pesky DD inside that range that will effectively make your smoke screen redundant. Also, their duration is only 40 seconds and the rate of fire of their main battery is quite slow, so you'll only get 3 -4 volleys away from concealment. As such, I've found the best use of that smoke is as a disengagement tool. When you're laying into a BB and you see his guns turning for you, use your smoke and continue firing as his guns move away from your now concealed position. You can use the intervening time to maneuver for cover, break contact or close to torpedo YOLO range should the situation allow it.

As much as the SAP is very punishing to DDs you have no tools to detect those DDs so you are very reliant on your team mates. Also, as your surface detection is quite high, you'll want to spend the early game at considerable range so you're able to disengage to concealment or use your smoke without being given away by your firing bloom. If you get too eager too early, you'll not live long.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
333 posts
4,913 battles

A high reload is usually compensated by increased damage per shell, giving you a high alpha. It just means you need to learn to aim, without using your first shot as a tracer. You also need to predict in advance if you might want AP shells instead.

SAP shells have higher base damage than AP shells. Unless you're expecting to hit a citadel, SAP will always be better.

SAP shells also have 54mm pen. You might notice this is the same pen as German cruisers. So you should be able to pen the decks of battleships.

I don't have any Italian cruisers yet, but I'd probably try to apply a similar mindset from German cruisers, where you try to find ways to access broadsides.

Sign in to follow this