Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mechfori

French DD low & mid tier made no sense

14 comments in this topic

[SMOKE]
1,503 posts
14,152 battles

OK its one patch or is it 2 already and I am on the grind , and I had to say French DD at low and mid tier made no sense towards training a player or a captain for the high tier French DD ... WG say they want it to be speed demon and gun slinging charging Dracoon ; well T8 and beyond it might be ( even that is questionable ) but seriously anything T7 and below, the speed is not there, the guns ballistic is awful, reload is mediocre and  concealment is lousy, but worst .. maneuverability is just not there , these boats lost speed so fast, so quick on any turn any speed it might had  simply vanishes and speaking of speed until T8 the speed is simply not there too, so how can WG expect players ( especially new players )  to get to learn the way to play this speed demon charging Dracoon if you do not give them the speed , and coupled that with the inferior concealment and no smoke its consistently out spotted by fellow DD of same tier and had no way to charge in and expose the enemy either since its actually no better at the speed department and any maneuvering and the speed drop to CA posture , enemy can keep kiting away ; and let's not tell of the lousy sluggish rudder either ... that range on the gun is not useful either when the sell speed is stupidly slow. 

I really like to play DD, but I think WG just did it all wrong on this branch .. well at least on T2 to T7 .. they just do not work out as a viable alternative DD play style at those tiers

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

T4 and 5 also getting nerfed as well. From 6s to 6.6s.

T4 Bourrasque also only has 33 knot. 40 only when using speed boost.

Also one more thing, the gun angle absolutely awful.

It almost a complete broadside to fire all the guns.

[SMOKE]
1,503 posts
14,152 battles

Much indeed even the T5 freemium Sciroco got only 33 knots ; 33 knots on a T5 that is a really bad joke … even if they are to be used as mid range brawler the ships still need someone to spot. As a DD they just fail on almost all DD duties. The team can really suffer when a flank got only 1 DD and it happen to be French. And they cannot actually brawl up close when turret transverse that slow.

[FORCE]
1,658 posts
10,066 battles

WG has been following the same pattern since the French BB line. The low & mid tiers seem underpowered/bland while the high tiers are full of gimmicks. But the French DDs at low & mid tiers are indeed more demanding. 10 point captain is quite mandatory because AFT is almost a must before you can play them at comfortable range. Premium speed boost & SI are mandatory to keep their top speed high which makes them more expensive to play at lower tiers.

[SMOKE]
1,503 posts
14,152 battles

Agee the problem of course is that BB and Cruisers allow margin of error and forgive minor mistakes ; that is not the case with DD . One either play it right or expect a quick trip back to port

729 posts
19,634 battles

The Tier V Jaguar is an absolute animal. I'd argue it's the strongest DD at its tier. It has torps that do more damage, go farther and just as fast as a Kamikaze's plus it's a very capable gun boat with a high chance of setting fires and an absurd amount of HP. About double that of many of its comtemporaries.

I'll grant you the T6 is average by comparison but that Jaguar is just a monster.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
971 posts
9,195 battles

Guepard may not turn fast but she stops and starts on a dime, and has guns that can shred broadside cruisers in seconds. There's also the saturation gimmick.

The line is strong, it's just they aren't really DDs in the traditional sense.

[151ST]
1,904 posts
8,816 battles
16 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

WG has been following the same pattern since the French BB line. The low & mid tiers seem underpowered/bland while the high tiers are full of gimmicks. But the French DDs at low & mid tiers are indeed more demanding. 10 point captain is quite mandatory because AFT is almost a must before you can play them at comfortable range. Premium speed boost & SI are mandatory to keep their top speed high which makes them more expensive to play at lower tiers.

SN BBs would like to have a word...

[FORCE]
1,658 posts
10,066 battles
7 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

SN BBs would like to have a word...

You're half right. I mean SN BBs are too "balans" to follow the same pattern.

• Cool 1

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

Idk, used Jaguar a few times, team ranked 1 and 2 many times.

But only 20-30K damage.

Spoiler

2019-10-21.thumb.png.bfc3b034b0a2ecd32880be36f72b75e4.png

Theres my battle record this day

335743469_2019-10-21(1).thumb.png.7036558e683b1250ba26b88f69e79f81.png

Best damage so far?

Spoiler

Gun damage wise, id prefer Nico or Podvoisky.

Those can shred many many cruisers broadside or not.

The old Gnevny can citadel Fuso even...

Torp, i'd prefer Kamikaze, or Mutsuki at lesser extent, you people forgot the reload time.

If you just looking to the stats, sure, Jaguar has a lot of HP, DPM looks fantastic on paper.

But realistically, Podvoisky is better.

Scenario 1 : Jaguar using 3 of her rear guns, aka not greedy mode. Her opponents can wiggle with 4 guns, thanks to the better gun arc or superior rudder shift...

Scenario 2 : Jaguar using all of her guns, she surely out DPM any tier 5 DDs. Are you sure noone can't hit you even if you juke or using engine boost ?

As far i've tried, enemies still able to deal respectable damage to my ship. Since the speed boost max speed, isn't great either.

Plus, dropped speed too much when trying to use all guns.

Why use the speed boost to gun at open water when Podvoisky has 42 knot without it? Also she still has the smoke.

Also, i could beat full HP Gremy with Kamikaze, with zero torp hit and 100% HE damage. I used torps but to limit her movement.

It is a mistake to think Kamikaze is all about torp DD. After maneouvering, dropping torps to limit movement, using smoke and engine boost, Kamikaze can outperform Gremy in a dirty gunfight.

What French DD has to play dirty ? None.

Until the reload booster consummable. Which is borderline OP combined with 139mm guns.

Jaguar is a paper tiger, just like the Burrasque.

With the advent of 2-3 CVs at lower tier, they just don't fit regardless what i'm trying to say above.

You don't say i didn't try to juke those rocket planes because i did, with engine boost also.

My team still won because 2 CVs worked together to bring down my ship, i made that as difficult as possible for them.

In meanwhile my team can focus on other things.

The essential smoke isn't there for survival.

[SMOKE]
1,503 posts
14,152 battles

Strong or not depend on play and play style but my point here us that there is a clear disconnection regarding these and their T8 or higher peers ; if one want to train for the said style of high tier French DD play it might even be better to play the Soviet mid tier and just remember not to use the smoke .

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 1

[LBAS]
Modder
6,175 posts
37,422 battles

French DDs, they got improvement from tier to tier, at least 1 aspect per tier, mainly fire power

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

Just got my Cheetah (T6 Guepard).

Wow, DPM wise, it is now acceptable.

Speed is still lacking with 36 knot. AA is still frustrating.

I almost nom an Aigle alive with the A hull.

Did a duel with Asashio too.

Sign in to follow this