Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

I'm not complaining...

11 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles

... well not really.

It's been said before so I guess I am flogging a dead horse but...

This game. T6-T8 game. I was in my trusty Farragut running C hull with SI and DFAA. It's a lifestyle choice.

(I'm actually regrinding and am almost back to Mahan).

Anyway, Two Brothers, Standard battle.

One moron in a New Orleans charges down the left flank alone and gets Thanosed - it was Inevitable.

Rest of my team on the left flank is more circumspect and waits for me to do my thing.

I get out to the left flank as fast as I can and lay a line of smoke - and continue on OUT of the smoke to spot.

I get hammered by the Fantastique as I try to keep him spotted (he was waaaay up the left flank by the time I revealed him and he nearly slipped past to our CV but for me). I briefly duel him (bad BAD idea) I am reduced to about 280 health (!!!!!!) but succeed in keeping him spotted long enough to drive him back.

I then weave back and forth for the rest of the game, spotting and smoking. Of course I was using premium smoke and with SI, well, that's a lot of American Marlborough to conceal my team while I spot for them. Plus, each time the enemy CV turned our way, he had to contend with my BFT/DFAA US DD... and though I didn't get a lot of plane kills, I did a lot of continuous damage that did not make his drops on my teammates easy.

The ships on my flank understood exactly what was happening and teamplay ensued.

It was a close fight in the end as we worked our way down the left flank and I know that my cover helped and may even have been a deciding factor.

And well, yeah, sure, a win's a win and you can't be upset with that...

But for all my effort, second bottom of team.

I don't know what the answer is and I know it's been discussed before, this battle just really highlighted again how you can do so much for your team and not really benefit.

I'm not really complaining.... not really...

notcom.png

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,643 posts
11,975 battles

You survived and spotted, you’re far more valuable than say, and extra BB.

And honestly, team probably appreciated it. DDs may get more XP for hurting and killing stuff, but other players primarily want DDs to spot, cap, and engage other DDs... or at least spot them so they can shoot them.

Unfortunately, with the exception of capping, those things don’t offer that much XP.
And there’s less opportunity for capping in standard.

You’ll probably get told to do more damage, capping etc, that while you did well, the others did better and contributed more, that’s what I was told when I complained about lack of spotting XP in one of my DD games.

And while I certainly believe that you can always do better (don’t ask me how though), that doesn’t mean that what you did wasn’t battle turning and crucial to success, and therefore, should be recognised. This is a game where  minor mistakes can cost a game, and there mere presence of a DD can halt an entire enemy flank.

Its a dangerous balancing game though, DD gets too much xp spotting, they won’t engage, DD gets more XP for damaging, they won’t spot, and will probably risk their lives more for a little extra damage, even if it costs the game.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
3,926 posts
19,941 battles

Like I have said before, the xp is too heavily biased towards active actions.

Passive actions need to be shown more loev. If you didn't spot, I suspect chances of a win would be less.

• Cool 2

[SMOKE]
1,815 posts
15,556 battles

DD and CL player are always faced with this dilemma .. but more so with DD player .. you do the right thing , you help the team , you end up not being rewarded justly so ... its a long standing issue with DD game play and now with range being forced further and further DD are in situations where more than half of the game they are out ranged and they are out gunned, don't even think about torp not unless you run and risk and push up front but here's the problem, most Cruiser and BB will not PUSH and give that up front up close fire support.

I play DD and frequently the request is for me to rush out and spot but hey I got to tell them " you guys hide behind islands, you cannot repel enemy fire , you do not had the fire arc to support and you want me out there just so you can had the luxury of sitting, sniping, and farming and you guys are the one who had Armor, who had HP, who had HEAL" .. I know this sounds selfish , but NO is the answer .. its about first and foremost survival .. I must survive before I can contribute and right now starting all the way from low tier, survival is priority No.1 for any DD player .. and your own damage dealing or doing the support duty is what come next and frequently its either but not both ... Sure I understand the need for someone to do the tactical support duty but am not seeing the big guns, and the Cruiser doing their part to support the front ( most of the time ) . Its a death spiral of - well you want me out to do this, do that but you would not be out risking yours and you just want me risking mine - guess why so many DD player had simply take off and ignore the team ...

And of course this .. the rewards .. so long WG and the game do not reward DD and CL players , light force ( and for anyone else too ) who go do all the needed tactical duties, sooner or later they will not do it anymore, as this entitle dangerous move coupled with minimal or no return ; a victory is sweet but a victory without duly rewarded return is a bitter sweet at best. I stop complaining long ago , only whining now and then , instead I act .. I act such that I no longer bother even to do the duty if the team will not support me with the needed up close fire support no matter what they say  however dire the situation require it ... I always tell them - I am not fire bait so you guns can sit back, relax, and enjoy the show .. you want it come get it yourselves ..

[MRI]
3,435 posts
14,811 battles

I have said this before and will say this again: WoWs has a really unhealthy fixation on doing damage. If you aren't doing damage, then game is not going to reward you. Nevermind that other actions like spotting, laying smoke, detecting torps, tanking or delaying caps can be just as important for winning as damage and kills.

It doesn't matter if your torps caused the enemy to turn and expose their broadsides, it doesn't matter if your very presence as a DD discourages the entire enemy team from pushing, if none of your torps hit, you aren't getting paid.

Just the other day, I got over 3 million potential damage just by tanking and trying to delay an enemy push in my FDG despite being outnumbered by the enemy like 7v4. And because I was the sole BB on that flank I had to dodge torps, dodge shells, manage my DCP and Repair Party and perform a fighting retreat while waiting for the other flank to get off their lazy behinds to push (I actually had to ping them and point out that they vastly outnumbered the enemy they even tried to cap, some players really have 0 map awareness :Smile_sceptic:). But because I only did about 45k damage (lol German accuracy), I ended up in the bottom quarter of the team scoreboard. Even though my tanking and my kiting ended up drawing a large portion of the enemy into a wild goose chase and gave time for the other flank to get back into the fight and win the game.

Since doing damage and getting kills pays so well but other actions aren't, is it any wonder that most WoWs players like to selfishly farm?

• Cool 1

[TLS]
3,926 posts
19,941 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Since doing damage and getting kills pays so well but other actions aren't, is it any wonder that most WoWs players like to selfishly farm?

Incoming snark comment: Maybe the "hallowed spreadshit" on the other servers show that "farming is not an issue". Well sad fact: Asia abuses mechanics to achieve best possible outcome. Asia does not play "how it is meant to play" but "how much can we milk out of it until it is bone dry?"

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles

Similar playstyle and situation but I profited more.

I take it back maybe?

itibm_1.png

itibm_2.png

itibm_3.png

itibm_4.png

[ANZAF]
376 posts
5,569 battles

I play mostly DD and its just how it is, hurts when you don't get rewarded but eventually that will just wear off and you don't care anymore. But I do get a warm feeling when someone recognises it and you get a compliment.

Had my best game strategic wise this morning, a 5v5 (2xDD, 1xCA, 2xBB all TX) in my Gearing. 

After a salvo of torps on RPF to the cap side i spawned on, screened our Yam over to the middle of the map, went to middle cap and killed the capping Kleber with a good radar spot from our Wor, then got into a good position to ambush torp and kill a full health Thunderer, then on the next reload the same thing to the enemy Yam. 183k damage and 2.4k base xp.

Felt like i was in the right place I needed to be for the whole game.  Feels like its all becoming a fair bit clearer!

Had a look at my recent performance and feel even better seeing a 60% WR and 50.2k damage for the last 3 weeks, despite my most played ship (minsk) getting 4 wins from 13 games....

Fubuki has great AA.

Capture.PNG

snip_20191022120901.png

Edited by Puggsley

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles
8 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

After a salvo of torps on RPF to the cap side i spawned on, screened our Yam over to the middle of the map, went to middle cap and killed the capping Kleber with a good radar spot from our Wor, then got into a good position to ambush torp and kill a full health Thunderer, then on the next reload the same thing to the enemy Yam. 183k damage and 2.4k base xp.

Grats. Sounds like a Good Game.

• Cool 1

[ANZAF]
376 posts
5,569 battles
Just now, Max_Battle said:

Grats. Sounds like a Good Game.

Did the unpaid DD work and got into the paying bit too!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this