Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Karasuma_Hifumi

I'm crossing T opponent, why I'm still lose?

30 comments in this topic

13 posts
149 battles

I'm not naval expert or anything but it's clear that T crossing is huge advantage through out history of naval battle right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_T

I'm sailing wyoming against enemy battleships (can't remember the name, sorry) and able to crossing T him.

I have all my gun to bare and he only have frontal gun, yet I'm go down first? how?

Edited by Karasuma_Hifumi
  • Funny 2

[BLESS]
964 posts
9,166 battles

His armor is angled, yours is not, so even though he's (most likely) got fewer guns to bear, his penetration chance and damage numbers are much higher.

That's how the game works, whether it historically accurate or not I don't know. "Crossing the T" AFAIK would only be valid in fleet battles, where you have 10 ships to shoot at an enemy line where only the first couple of ships in the line can respond. On a 1:1 basis, maybe for 18th century ships of the line, but not for 20th century turrets ...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KAMI]
1,353 posts
11,714 battles

not in a arcade game.

doing crossing the T in wows is just asking to be deleted

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,814 posts

You "Crossing the T" in this game is a big no no.

You are offering up your broadside and inviting citadel hits which will inflict huge damage. This is why you went down first.

You must angle your ship effectively to bring all guns to bear, but offer the smallest citadel target opportunity to your opponent.

Hope that helps....

[TLS]
3,493 posts
19,108 battles

Because this is an unrealistic game simulator. This game heavily penalises the one showing broadside. If it were more realistic, we'd have more Hoods and Bluchers.

Edited by dejiko_nyo

[LBAS]
1,604 posts
3,317 battles
11 minutes ago, Karasuma_Hifumi said:

I'm not naval expert or anything but it's clear that T crossing is huge advantage through out history of naval battle right?

I'm sailing wyoming against enemy battleships (can't remember the name, sorry) and able to crossing T him.

I have all my gun to bare and he only have frontal gun, yet I'm go down first? how?

Typical fatal newbie mistake.

You are not the only one, when i start the game, i am always try to do the same thing, bring all the gun to firing all.

Yet after i know what is Citadel and richocet i realize how stupid is that.

Showing full broadside (T manuver) MEAN easier to hit and EXPOSE your Citadel. Citadel hit is FATAL and can insta kill you. Of course you sink first.

Angling is different story, try to read about richocet and Bowing position. 

The hardest to hit is kiting position, you show your ship stern whole running away and keep firing.

Keep playing, watch YouTube tips and you will git gud soon or later. Also try play CO OP if you have hard time.

Losing and sinking  is normal, even pro unicum player never hit 99% win rate on thousand battle.

• Cool 4

4 posts
3,968 battles

The main different is that the rate of hit ( number of shell that actually hit enemy ship over total shell fired ) in real world is very low. So it is better to fire as many guns as possible to achieve some hits. In WOWS, the hit rate is much higher so it is wiser to get hit less than to fire more. That is why crossing T is not very good idea in this game.

• Cool 1

[SALT]
1,888 posts
10,504 battles

This is basicly tank game with ship.

32mm angled armor is thicker than 400 mm plates. What logic you ask?

Majik ofc, wg majik

Edited by humusz

[-NZ-]
240 posts
7,989 battles
6 hours ago, Karasuma_Hifumi said:

Maybe this video can help a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZVm9W0nic

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles
8 hours ago, Karasuma_Hifumi said:

Side note tho,

i recommend you to cross T your opponent.

But only if he is not shooting (still reloading or after shooting).

Instead saying this game is like a tank game.

Think this like a boxing game.

Cross T = when you attack, full firepower!

Angle = when you defend, you about to receive attack from your enemy.

Attack defend, attack defend, it is a cycle.

Your movement will end up like a zig zag pattern.

And some ship better at doing this than another, like because she has more engine power, or maneuverable.

This is the best way to play this game.

I must cross T my enemy or I must not cross T will lead you to a static gameplay.

Usually entitled to camper, or straight sailor.

Although if you must, choose not to cross T.

Sometimes, shits happened.

Long story short :

Crossing the T will bear all of your guns to your enemy,

it is how you'll use your maximum DPM.

But you'll easily penetrated by your enemy.

After you fire all your guns, quickly turn to hide your juicy broadside.

[FORCE]
1,649 posts
10,066 battles
10 hours ago, Karasuma_Hifumi said:

It was a huge advantage when performed by multiple ships in a fleet, not a single ship.

Another thing to note is; this game is not historically accurate even if WG has been very picky to the "certain tech tree" that gets powercreeped by almost all newer ships for the sake of maintaining the historical accuracy.

13 posts
149 battles

I kinda know about angling but i thought it for cruiser and destroyer since their armor is thin. Battleships on other hand have thickest armor so don't have to worry about angling...

guess I'm wrong T_T

• Cool 1

[-NZ-]
240 posts
7,989 battles

Even some battleships have to do angling and kiting, because of the different characteristics of the armor they have and the enemy guns they face.

• Cool 1

[AUSFF]
64 posts
13,120 battles

Crossing the tee worked fantastic for wooden hulls... because the shot would travel the length of the ship tearing apart everyone in its wake, where as side ways it would tear apart far less people before the shot exited. because it travels less distance across the ship. Steel hulls, impact fusesd etc kinda negate that advantage.....

The other advantage of nelsons classic Trafalgar move, was that his fleet were not shadowing each others fire.. same basic principle of an extended firing line in the infantry...  But look at jutland, the brits adavced in line, but they didnt show sides unrtil they turned away, and then they used dd;s to smoke for cover inb the turn... crosssing the T in a steel hull just makes you a bigger target, thats easier to gauge speed, and thus lead.

[CLAY]
2,284 posts
11,003 battles
17 hours ago, drakon233 said:

goes to show how badly WG's system for introducing new players to the game is

@karasuma3386 https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming/videos

watch his entire series for new players 

I’ll be honest. When I first saw this thread I though it was a joke. I though the whole “crossing the T” thing was something everyone knew didn’t work in game and had reached joke status for noobs. (It helps that as a complete non navy expert, I had never heard of it before).

I learnt early from videos and reviews and forums how to angle, and how to avoid showing broadside, and when to bow tank. But none of that was from in the game proper.

So this does show how the game needs to teach new players how this works. The actual game, not just videos and material outside the game.

[TLS]
3,493 posts
19,108 battles

If you want more realism and cross more Ts, go for another in-alpha game rather than this still in-alpha game. Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts.

• Cool 1

574 posts
1,567 battles
20 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

His armor is angled, yours is not, so even though he's (most likely) got fewer guns to bear, his penetration chance and damage numbers are much higher.

That's how the game works, whether it historically accurate or not I don't know. "Crossing the T" AFAIK would only be valid in fleet battles, where you have 10 ships to shoot at an enemy line where only the first couple of ships in the line can respond. On a 1:1 basis, maybe for 18th century ships of the line, but not for 20th century turrets ...

Historically, Crossing the T still worked in the battle of Surigao strait during late WWII.

The fleet crossing the T not just have better firepower output. The shell spread pattern had high chance meeting a ship longatively orientated, longative penetration would have less chance of over-pen.

574 posts
1,567 battles
49 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

If you want more realism and cross more Ts, go for another in-alpha game rather than this still in-alpha game. Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts.

Just bought that yesterday. it had the battle model very similar to the Shogun/Medieval/Roman TotalWar series with ship building options.

[LGND]
437 posts
11,423 battles
20 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

WOWS =sim.

1415590997680.gif

but Sim 's already in this game :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Gesterbein

[TLS]
3,493 posts
19,108 battles
1 hour ago, tsuenwan said:

Just bought that yesterday. it had the battle model very similar to the Shogun/Medieval/Roman TotalWar series with ship building options.

I've seen the early access play on youtube and I am most impressed how secondaries pew pew are supposed to flatten your opponents.

[BLESS]
964 posts
9,166 battles
1 hour ago, tsuenwan said:

Historically, Crossing the T still worked in the battle of Surigao strait during late WWII.

The fleet crossing the T not just have better firepower output. The shell spread pattern had high chance meeting a ship longatively orientated, longative penetration would have less chance of over-pen.

The back half of that last sentence doesn't meet the front half. 😕

WoWS models accurately enough. In a 1 vs 1 situation you keep you turrets masked to angle your ship, protecting your vital areas using sloped armor and slim profile. This much is historically accurate at least. Very few ships can rely on overpens as a defensive tactic, as broadside profile presents so much more target to hit. In a group battle, in principle, you want to maintain a reasonably close line of battle and position the group towards one side of the enemy line so you can focus down the nearest target while taking the minimum of return fire. In practice though the maps are so small that ships in a group appear some distance from each other. Focus firing, though, is always a game-winning strategy.

574 posts
1,567 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

I've seen the early access play on youtube and I am most impressed how secondaries pew pew are supposed to flatten your opponents.

I had the early access version. UAD is more like a traditional naval RTS. you command and navigate all ships on one side and all gun are auto aimed (with different firing option). it is not a shooter game though. .

574 posts
1,567 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

The back half of that last sentence doesn't meet the front half. 😕

WoWS models accurately enough. In a 1 vs 1 situation you keep you turrets masked to angle your ship, protecting your vital areas using sloped armor and slim profile. This much is historically accurate at least. Very few ships can rely on overpens as a defensive tactic, as broadside profile presents so much more target to hit. In a group battle, in principle, you want to maintain a reasonably close line of battle and position the group towards one side of the enemy line so you can focus down the nearest target while taking the minimum of return fire. In practice though the maps are so small that ships in a group appear some distance from each other. Focus firing, though, is always a game-winning strategy.

Not exactly. Small frontal area and frontal sloped armor are more effective on Tanks,  as ships had much bigger deck area.  Ignore the the word overpen, Shell travel for bow to stern or reverse will likely  hit critical part of the ship and cause bigger damage.  Oval shape of the shell spread all increase the chance of the shell meeting the ship body when it orientated towards the shell travel direction.

Sign in to follow this