Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

Japanese Cruisers "Hits to the citedel"

Hits to the citadel  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Citadel on Japanese cruisers be made smaller?

• Yes this would make the ships more balanced. (leave a comment explaining why)
    • No this would make the ships unbalanced (leave a comment explaining why)

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Japanese cruisers seem to have a big welcome sign over the top of their citadels, each salvo toward a Japanese cruiser will almost always have 1-2 penetrations on the citadel and it just seems a bit unfair, when firing on ships i will take my focous away from what ever i am firing at if i see a Japanese cruiser because i know 2-3 salvos will leave it dead because citadel shots are almost more common than regular penetrations.

Does anyone else feel like this ruins the balance of the ships?

i feel like the Japanese cruisers are in no way OP, i know the American tier 8 and 9 cruisers are under powered but that is no reason for these ships to be fish tanks filled with dynamite floating around in the water to compensate for that.

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Japanese cruisers seem to have a big welcome sign over the top of their citedels, each salvo toward a Japanese cruiser will almost always have 1-2 penetrations on the citedel and it just seems a bit unfair, when firing on ships i will take my focous away from what ever i am firing at if i see a Japanese cruiser because i know 2-3 salvos will leave it dead because citedel shots are almost more common than regular penetrations.

Does anyone else feel like this ruins the balance of the ships?

i feel like the Japanese cruisers are in no way OP, i know the American tier 8 and 9 cruisers are under powered but that is no reason for these ships to be fish tanks filled with dynamite floating around in the water to compensate for that.

No matter how often you repeat it, it doesn't become true. If you had written :"Personally I consider the american tier 8 and tier 9 cruisers under powered", your statement would have had a boolean value of 1. Currently it holds a boolean value of 0, zero, naught, nada, nothing.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

No matter how often you repeat it, it doesn't become true. If you had written :"Personally I consider the american tier 8 and tier 9 cruisers under powered", your statement would have had a boolean value of 1. Currently it holds a boolean value of 0, zero, naught, nada, nothing.

So considering you are just going to follow me around trying to get me to bite at you i am guessing it will just be a passive aggressive argument we have.

Do tell AALG why are those ships currently balanced? I already gave my case for it and i know you have read it.

Alpha Tester
416 posts
17 battles

Omg, it's beta, they will be collecting statistics based on hits received for Warships and balance accordingly. 

Another quality thread by your [Removed]

General Insults. Content Removed. User Sanctioned.

~Madiba

Super Tester
2,725 posts

We'll see the statistics if there is such a need to balance on that.

Keep on playing!

Though I experienced that getting critical damage from the enemies within 10km while playing my high tier Cruisers. keep myself away & firing a far to avoid getting critical damage.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I don't know how to answer this, or vote with no or yes every naval game that I know, stated that IJN ship except Yamato is such a papership

Edited by Harpoon01

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Do IJN cruisers have a giant citadel? Yep. No arguments about that.

Do IJN cruisers need to be looked at? Perhaps. The 20.3s on Mogami and Myoukou don't seem very good. Decent pen, but compared to Mogamin's 15.5s, they're rather underwhelming.

Does this ruin the balance on the ships? I don't think so. IJN cruisers feel a hell lot more nimble than the USN ones. Good speed, good turnrate, allows for tacking to port and starboard pretty easily to approach or evade at an oblique angle to hide the gigantic citadel. After a ton of games in Mogamin, I don't really see the crippling instakill hits after learning not to show the full length of the barnwall unless my guns are ready to fire.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I'm not entirely sure why Japanese cruisers have the unique trait of half the hull seeming to be a citadel, because it's not like they weren't already fragile enough, I'm pretty sure there are other ways to approach balancing that doesn't involve making them far more vulnerable to everything than anything else.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

I'm not entirely sure why Japanese cruisers have the unique trait of half the hull seeming to be a citadel, because it's not like they weren't already fragile enough, I'm pretty sure there are other ways to approach balancing that doesn't involve making them far more vulnerable to everything than anything else.

Probably because they genuinely did have larger citadels. Theyre fairly large ships to begin with, and the large number of turrets means a longer citadel than the US cruisers. Potentially less well armored than the US cruisers as well, given the need to armor a larger area within the same weight limit (although there are ways to save weight in other places, and the Japanese were not above fudging the numbers).

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Probably because they genuinely did have larger citadels. Theyre fairly large ships to begin with, and the large number of turrets means a longer citadel than the US cruisers. Potentially less well armored than the US cruisers as well, given the need to armor a larger area within the same weight limit (although there are ways to save weight in other places, and the Japanese were not above fudging the numbers).

This is correct. Japanese design philosophy for heavy cruisers was to build them better (on paper) than American and British equivalents. Unfortunately, to do so while keep within treaty restrictions led to a lot of compromises and design faults.

Funnily enough, the best IJN cruiser designs aren't currently in the game.

Beta Tester
320 posts
29 battles

No, just No.

Of course, you don't want to get critical hit from that. FTW if you being hitted right on Citadel (10k,10k,10k)

Sign in to follow this