You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ogowa

why do you play

43 comments in this topic

19 posts
441 battles

After a month, as a newbee, its obvious that the only reason I would play this gam, is for fun. There is no point, no strategy, little if any realism in tactics.

Only some pretty well done ships

so, I play this as a fun , beer and pretzals game

but.

CVs take away the fun, again, and again, and again

No more pennies from me for WG

Wonder how many think the same

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[MD]
[MD]
563 posts
2,901 battles

i'm starting to play because of Jingle's videos and my passion for warships.

Kept playing because:

1. Already spent too much time on this game
  2. Kinda love the community
  3. Life is boring, and WoWs is at least good enough to blow some stress
  4. Hasn't reached Tier X yet
  5. Doesn't have any other game
  6. My Burning Spirit for Grinding this Lady:

f432bb937196c582782d997f67320b52.jpg

600px-Admiral_Hipper.png

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

741 posts
19,634 battles

Personally, I play to bathe in the protestations and lamentations of my foes.

Unless they kill me first. Then it's just BS.

• Funny 2

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,273 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, ogowa said:

There is no point, no strategy, little if any realism in tactics.

What you'll find about this game if you play more, is that it has significant depth, that is not apparent until you begin to improve as a player.  The better you get, the more you appreciate the subtleties of positioning, the high level of spatial and tactical awareness required, and just the sheer amount of technical data you need to know to be successful.

One of WoWS strengths is that the basic handling of the ships and weapons systems are easy to pick up and use at a simple level, but don't let that deceive you - tactically it is an extremely complex game.

• Cool 3

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,319 posts
26,012 battles

i play because my dumbass computer cant handle R6 anymore, the only reason i came out of retirement from this game a while back

[KAMI]
1,503 posts
12,401 battles

I played this basically because i got introduced to this game by a friend then he quits, leaving me and a few here

then everything steamrolled till now.. 3 years

wHeN gErmAn Bb is sCaRy

• Funny 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,593 posts
7,352 battles

I had the shits with WOT and when this started I got a gig as an Alpha tester then did closed beta testing then open beta testing and then shortly thereafter became a supertester.   This game has given me a lot over the years so I still enjoy it.   Watching and helping it evolve is the fun part.

• Cool 3

4,500 posts
8,614 battles

3D ship models.

Please understand it how you will ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

1,361 posts
5,732 battles

The reasons why I play this game are diverse.

I have been a (half-baked to be honest) military enthusiast since my childhood, and I have heard about Wargaming's World of Tanks in the earlier years of this decade when it was one of the most popular military-related MMO games in China. When I decided to cross the Rubicon and pick up an online game for the first time in my life (I have been a "model student" in that field, had completely abstained from them and being completely ignorant about them until recently), a friend of mine suggested WoWS over WoT since the former is a much younger game than the latter and thus, the in-game environment is more friendly for a newbie than the latter which has developed for several years. Also there were also a friend who has been a WoWS player then and has built up his fleet in the CN Server then for years (and he once shared a screenshot of a fantastic game in Minotaur which I hadn't touched yet even years later now).

I have been a man with relatively slow responses IRL and World of Warships is a relatively slow-paced shooter game (and I think my experience in classic FPS games are somewhat mixed, while I feel that I have been enjoying myself more in WoWS). At least there won't be extremely skilled opponents who would wait in ambush just next to spawn points like that in some multiplayer FPS games in my home country (though this tactic still works wonderfully in Scenario Operations like Killer Whale). And yes, in terms of entertainment, the game is adequate for an ordinary person to relax from his real-life stresses and I can enjoy senses of fulfillment when I have played well and helped my team to achieve victory.

Within the game many of the factors are similiar to what has been described by Earl-of-Arland above: I have been spent quite a little amount of money and much efforts in this game (with a large portion being sunk costs currently thanks to Kongzhong), and there are still plenty of new things to explore in the game. I hasen't reached Tier X yet till now, and I have only learnt to master "traditional" cruisers with flat ballistics and "traditional" battleships. All those destroyers, the vision-blocking smokescreen, the intriguing Secondary-build, the tricky USN SHS ballistics, there are much more contents to try out in the future besides the eternal quest of getting better in game. Besides it is interesting, at least for me, to collect these digital 3D models of warships.

This game has never been realistic as a proper simulator from the beginning. But it is fun for me and that's about it.

And yes, the game is Free-to-Play, at least mostly. Though Premium time does help much in grinding.

Also... since Anime stuff is involved...

1 hour ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

My Burning Spirit for Grinding this Lady:

600px-Admiral_Hipper.png

I admire Azur Lane's Admiral Hipper even though I haven't touched any games of that genre yet and likely would never try them out in the future. However this sleek Atlantic bow belongs to her younger sister Prinz Eugen, while Hipper's bow is "blunter" in comparison like the in-game models of the two sisters.

Also... besides myself being a noob in British cruisers and enjoyed Emile Bertin, a reason why I have been rather intersted in T4 Giussano of the incoming Italian cruisers line is similiar... though from a certain different game with much less influence outside Chinese-speaking Internet.

Edited by Project45_Opytny
  • Cool 1

[EZPZ]
41 posts
2,956 battles
3 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

i'm starting to play because of Jingle's videos and my passion for warships.

Kept playing because:

1. Already spent too much time on this game
  2. Kinda love the community
  3. Life is boring, and WoWs is at least good enough to blow some stress
  4. Hasn't reached Tier X yet
  5. Doesn't have any other game
  6. My Burning Spirit for Grinding this Lady:

600px-Admiral_Hipper.png

Although i'm not really into anime ship, it is good to see a fellow hipper-class fan.

Good looking ship is why i'm grinding/buying or generally playing the game. Hipper doesn't have that pointy(?) raised bow on the game, but eugen does. :Smile_sceptic:

Eugen with the tirpitz in her norwegian camo set is one of the best looking ship in the game imo.

shot-19.10.15_20.07.03-0450.jpg

shot-19.10.15_20.10.58-0959.jpg

1,361 posts
5,732 battles
8 minutes ago, Mistbreaker said:

Although i'm not really into anime ship, it is good to see a fellow hipper-class fan.

Good looking ship is why i'm grinding/buying or generally playing the game. Hipper doesn't have that pointy(?) raised bow on the game, but eugen does. :Smile_sceptic:

Eugen with the tirpitz in her norwegian camo set is one of the best looking ship in the game imo.

shot-19.10.15_20.07.03-0450.jpg

shot-19.10.15_20.10.58-0959.jpg

Not only in-game, but IRL also. Admiral Hipper's clipper bow is blunter, or less pointy in contrast to her sisters Blucher and Prinz Eugen even after her reconstruction, and also Eugen is a tad longer than her sisters of the first batch.

And German clipper bows are beautiful indeed.

[MRI]
3,441 posts
14,839 battles

Why I play this game?

Mostly because of my interest in WW2 naval history which was sparked by anime like Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Kantai Collection. WoWs' ship models are beautiful and it was very nice seeing how the ships look in-game after only knowing about them from books and such.

I actually started playing WoWs because of the ARP collab, with the ARP Hiei as my first ARP ship. After playing I realised I actually prefered WoWs gameplay over that of WoT (which I was heavily invested in at that time). I liked that WoWs had a much slower gameplay based around map awareness, positioning and careful estimation compared to other "twitch" games that relied more or on quick reflexes or eye coordination. It is pretty cool that when you shoot, you may have to estimate where your target might be 10s ahead! In most other shooters you never have to predict your shot that far ahead.

And imo WoWs is far better than WoT. No Premium ammo, no ridiculous situations where you cannot damage an enemy at all just because you are in light tank and he is a heavy.

Also WoWs has Coop and Operations for PvE.

• Cool 3

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,544 posts
5,474 battles

Why i played this very game?

I am a Ex-Navyfield 2005 Member. I have strong sense of warships and their only history.

But WHAT most important to me in my life i love is when they had Italian Faction.

[-CAT-]
2,060 posts
10,803 battles

I play mainly because of the ships. And the funny game mechanics.

In space, no one can hear you "pppprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt"

Edited by S0und_Theif

[REPOI]
Super Tester_
28 posts
18,203 battles

I play with the intention to lick windows I mean I like shooting other pixel boats and watching them sink :cap_rambo:

• Funny 2

[ANZAF]
385 posts
5,613 battles

Reminds me of my youth.

Had a few years in the RAN just before the full transition to modern computerisation of gunnery. HMAS Hobart still had a mechanical fire control computer.

Great fun with the ship models, the uncertainty of the gunnery in the game reflects what I saw back in my pusser days.

The high rate of fire ships remind me of gunnery with the Steel Cat's 5" autoloading guns. 

Still get a shiver hearing this song, was always a great thing to hear after refueling at sea and turning off and going to full speed! 

Remember hunting these guys, the strict uniform policy of the RAN on full display from about 2min in

O-boats were amazing, especially the last spying patrol in Shanghia harbour being chased by fishermen who thought the disturbance in the water was a large school of fish.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/cold-war-exploits-of-australias-secret-submarines/news-story/2b5a9a088125b1873777ec8cc60cd79b 

• Cool 2

62 posts
6,678 battles

My sons wanted to play. 

Got interested myself, don't play a lot and my kids still do play on my account when they feel like charging in YOLO which they usually do.  

I like the mechanics of the calculations and the tactics it creates.  I've improved in play recently but don't really put the hours in to really work it all out.  It's just a game after all.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
2,193 posts
11,660 battles

1. I like pushing people around in the manliest way possible, especially if they are aboard Belfast.Scharnhorst.thumb.jpg.cbd8d5084be9ca41de4f07543f249ebb.jpg

722130940_ScharnhorstvsBelfast.thumb.png.d93a0bb497b7fbf2d21619a0384e6dba.png

2. I like to BBQ. The HMS Saber King George V is an expert at that.

1316923657_HMSKingGeorgeV.thumb.jpg.578aeab994197f5f58f6c99b438eaedf.jpg

1803851031_KingGeorgeV.png.7a518b27267a8e3410b3fb7e608b1c42.png

3. I'm a schizophrenic masochist weeb.

• Funny 1

202 posts
10,901 battles

1. Because I Like games.

2.  I like big boats. With big guns. And I learn a huge amount about "Real Life" botes

3. I'm a sucker for loot boxes and new shiny toys 😞

4. "Run and Gun" will get you killed quickly in WoW. (Thinking person's FPS).

5. I met a great community.

6. I joined the right clan with the right people (shout out to the TF44 ppl, esp. Taipan).

7. Clan with low skill experience is now much improved clan and gettiong better. Clan members politely support each other (coachng), no barking.

8. I love it when a plan (sometimes) comes together in a tough match.

9. Talented dev crew continually create new high quiality content (well... generally).

No, it's not a sim, but more combo shootem' up and chess.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
875 posts
5,777 battles

Because I was sick of shooters and RPGs, and sick of was too busy to find another game that is as less grindy as this.

Edited by spixys

4,500 posts
8,614 battles
3 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

It is really glad to see so many weebs here 🙂

WoWS actually brought me to this wonderful manga (yes the manga)

b87f45bf35598717afb3be5e4b7723b51387528111_full.thumb.jpg.7a4d636ffbf170f6577f78d5db9b42a8.jpg

PS. MAYA 1943 WHEN???

Edited by Paladinum
  • Funny 1