Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kyjo

Amateur help needed

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

14
[WT-F]
Member
51 posts
2,776 battles

I've been playing for quite a while off and on and am trying to get better using BB's. I've gone down the Japanese line to tier 6 Fuso but don't seem to get any penetration or damage. It's really embarrassing getting owned by cruisers regularly. Is there a better line i should invest some time into to get better results ? or just persist. 

I suppose what I'm asking is what BB line has the best overall damage and accuracy with their BB's?

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,160 posts
11,077 battles
26 minutes ago, kyjo said:

I've been playing for quite a while off and on and am trying to get better using BB's. I've gone down the Japanese line to tier 6 Fuso but don't seem to get any penetration or damage. It's really embarrassing getting owned by cruisers regularly. Is there a better line i should invest some time into to get better results ? or just persist. 

I suppose what I'm asking is what BB line has the best overall damage and accuracy with their BB's?

Thanks 

First id say jump on youtube and do a little research as to how best to play BB.

Then maybe try get in a clan and division with some better players who can help you out with some pointers. Sounds like you might be over extending a bit and getting HE spammed from the little you mentioned.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,362 posts
5,741 battles

As far as I'm concerned, it is usually said that Japanese battleships enjoy some of the best accuracy in-game, while a number of high-tier USN battleships' accuracy is also rather decent. In addition, the new Soviet battleships have a speacial dispersion formula that would be extremely accurate within medium to close range (around 12-km) but remains rather wonky like German battleships beyond that range.

Also Fuso is in fact a tad more resistant against HE spam than her T6 colleagues bar Izmail thanks to her 35-mm midsection deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
526
[KAMI]
Member
1,503 posts
12,419 battles

Just stick to your ijn bbs, you have  lesser superstructure to catch fire 

As what @dieselhead mentioned about searching at YouTube, Is good to know how some of the mechanics works 

Wargaming did a series on it explaining some of the mechanics .

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
Member
743 posts
19,634 battles
2 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Use British BB line or Russian.

I'm not sure using the Russian line will teach him a whole lot tbh.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,362 posts
5,741 battles
15 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I'm not sure using the Russian line will teach him a whole lot tbh.

Soviet battleships need some special positioning in contrast to other ones due to their high citadel. When Pytor Veilkiy, Izmail or Sinop is caught broadside, they are just as fragile as an Omaha.

British battleships are no-brainer, though it is said that the grind of T8 Monarch and T9 Lion are a bit rough. Also they now have approximately waterline citadels. Better than the Soviet ones, but still rather vulnerable and they are no longer being able to sail brainlessly thanks to their once fully-submerged citadels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,570
[TLS]
Member
3,935 posts
19,987 battles

Persevere through IJN line. You are at the mercy of RNG. I found the same issues while going through the IJN line and was cursing Fuso's lack of power. Then I discovered that there are worse ships than Fuso. Note that distance to target affects your lack of shell penetration. Shooting beyond 15km in your fuso against another BB at your tier or higher, you are not exactly going to get a good hit. Target tasty cruisers. Learn to take opportunity shots. You have 6 turrets. Sequential fire. Fire one turret to scare opponent/test out your aim.

Other lines: RN BBs are not as advertised until you hit Lion/Conq. You will find yourself wishing you had your fuso instead of a QE. Bayern can be tanky, but slow and suffers from Legendary German Dispersion (AKA WTF IS THIS SHOTGUN!?). Izmail has stalinium shells that work great at broadsiding delicious targets but suffers from lack of enough firefighting equipment and people that point their bow towards you. Big, fat, slow americans I refuse to talk about until T8.

And lastly, when in doubt, just play like a n00b and spam HE instead of AP. At least you can work on practicing your aim. You just need to practice and learn from experience.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[WT-F]
Member
51 posts
2,776 battles

Thanks all, since posting I've had four half decent games. 

6 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Persevere through IJN line. You are at the mercy of RNG. I found the same issues while going through the IJN line and was cursing Fuso's lack of power. Then I discovered that there are worse ships than Fuso. Note that distance to target affects your lack of shell penetration. Shooting beyond 15km in your fuso against another BB at your tier or higher, you are not exactly going to get a good hit. Target tasty cruisers. Learn to take opportunity shots. You have 6 turrets. Sequential fire. Fire one turret to scare opponent/test out your aim.

And lastly, when in doubt, just play like a n00b and spam HE instead of AP. At least you can work on practicing your aim. You just need to practice and learn from experience.

Great advice, was being too much of a noob and getting non penetration from too far away and trying to snipe from the back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
163
[POI]
Member
968 posts
10,423 battles

I'd say IJN BB line is still one of the more enjoyable line to play. 

The accuracy is actually quite good, survivability is good enough, you wil have better speed to reposition yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[WT-F]
Member
51 posts
2,776 battles
35 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I'm not sure using the Russian line will teach him a whole lot tbh.

Thanks for the reply mate, I watch your youtube channel and love it 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,570
[TLS]
Member
3,935 posts
19,987 battles

To add: A full broadside from a Fuso can cripple an errant opponent. Likewise, an improperly positioned Fuso can suffer a crippling blow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
666
[SMOKE]
Member
1,831 posts
15,667 battles

Spent some time in training room especially as regard to gunnery and aiming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
328
[-ISO-]
Member
1,056 posts
6,286 battles
1 hour ago, Bex_o7 said:

I'm not sure using the Russian line will teach him a whole lot tbh.

I'm sure it will. RU BBs has the most obvious weakness and when you can overcome it, they'll become the most respected adversaries. I mean, you just need to angle the ship properly and you'll absorb a lot of damage. Also, the guns can behave rather quite well in short distances. Unlike German BBs that has a rather RNG based armor where when you angle, sometimes you absorb a lot of damage and sometimes you don't. And the accuracy are quite questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280
[151ST]
Member
2,354 posts
9,877 battles

If you are having pen issues in a BB, it's one of two things; aim or your target is lightly armoured and you are overpenning.

Against angled BBs, don't aim at the waterline, aim a bit higher and you'll see pens.

Against lightly armoured targets (Cruisers) keep aiming waterline, you'll citadel them eventually. Exceptions are certain heavier cruisers at T8+ who can bow tank like BBs (e.g. Baltimore).

IJN BBs are a great line, but can be frustrating if you position or aim poorly. Anyone who calls them bad honestly doesn't know what they're doing (sorry folks, nothing personal).

You want to be just outside Cruiser range (usually around 16-17km) if there are multiple Cruisers, if there's only one and your aim is decent, you can easily 1v1 them just pick a range close that you can't be torpedo by them or DDs.

Fuso is a superb BB but due to poor concealment and general HE meta folks can find themselves struggling...

Good luck!

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280
[151ST]
Member
2,354 posts
9,877 battles

Actually this subject has given me an idea for a YT series...

IJN BBs... Hell I'll even include Kawachii and Myogi (as more often than not, the complaints start there...)

IJN BB players needing help, keep an eye on these forums over the next month. Guessing I will have the first one out in the next couple of weeks and then the others late November onwards (will be away with work and I'm definitely not using phone data to upload YT vids).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,895
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,594 posts
7,352 battles

Good luck.   I’ve been here since alpha and only just decided to do the IJN BB line.   I hated everything until the Fuso and found it to be a brilliant BB.  Despite the fact they have incredible range try to get yourself closer and watch the sheer firepower tear cruisers to pieces 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[STEIN]
Member
128 posts
10,699 battles

Shooting HE when your AP don't pen.

It is not a noob move, i'd say it is a pro move.

Noobs only shoot AP no matter what.

I had 70% win rate win Fuso over 70 battles.

She was the best BB at WoWs.

 

I think this is the best video explaining penetration.

Also,

You can always come back here later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
Member
743 posts
19,634 battles
13 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Soviet battleships need some special positioning in contrast to other ones due to their high citadel. When Pytor Veilkiy, Izmail or Sinop is caught broadside, they are just as fragile as an Omaha.

British battleships are no-brainer, though it is said that the grind of T8 Monarch and T9 Lion are a bit rough. Also they now have approximately waterline citadels. Better than the Soviet ones, but still rather vulnerable and they are no longer being able to sail brainlessly thanks to their once fully-submerged citadels.

 

12 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

I'm sure it will. RU BBs has the most obvious weakness and when you can overcome it, they'll become the most respected adversaries. I mean, you just need to angle the ship properly and you'll absorb a lot of damage. Also, the guns can behave rather quite well in short distances. Unlike German BBs that has a rather RNG based armor where when you angle, sometimes you absorb a lot of damage and sometimes you don't. And the accuracy are quite questionable.

Guys... the RU BBs outperform their tech tree contemporaries at almost every tier, a little time on wows-numbers shows this in stark detail. It's not because they're challenging to use because we all know a large section of the playing community are mouth breathers.

Angling and not showing your sides are fundamentals of the game. Those rules apply to every Battleship. 

Edited by Bex_o7
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[PNTFX]
Member
2 posts
1,368 battles

Nice dude.  I've been playing around and finally decided before the weekend to focus on jpn BB's; I just hasten Kawachi to now Kongo.  I can't wait to get into the Fuso and higher - this long range on Kongo is useless (unless a far away noob like me is sailing in a straight line broadside lol) for me now as I prefer up and close battles..  However, I must slow down now as its costing me too much to hasten the research.  I've watched most of the utubes and my problem is impatience; I've been fighting my BBs like i am a destroyer or a cruiser.  The change of crosshair to dynamic should help improve the aim.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,895
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,594 posts
7,352 battles
3 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

Guys... the RU BBs outperform their tech tree contemporaries at almost every tier, a little time on wows-numbers shows this in stark detail. It's not because they're challenging to use because we all know a large section of the playing community are mouth breathers.

Angling and not showing your sides are fundamentals of the game. Those rules apply to every Battleship

Never a truer word spoken.    You hit the nail on the head 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,570
[TLS]
Member
3,935 posts
19,987 battles
34 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Never a truer word spoken.    You hit the nail on the head 

I start my Izmail games with a prayer:

Hail Stalin, Our Great Leader
Hallowed be Thy Name
Guide these shells
As if on sea, as if on land
Give us our citadels
Do not send us to the Gulag
As we send our enemies to the bottom of the sea

Then proceed to watch instant obliteration of said targets. :3

But seriously, it is biased. Just watch KoTS IX. While some matches make good watching in terms of how to play smartly, it is literally King of The Soviet Bias. It basically shows how screwed the balance is and how it is being minmaxed.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
611
[BLESS]
Member
1,156 posts
10,345 battles

You just have to get a little more familiar with how shells, ballistics, and armor work in the game.

All BBs can delete cruisers in one salvo, but if the cruiser is of a mind to not be deleted you can be shooting at him the entire game and have nothing to show for it. Similar situation for BBs. You can deal massive damage, or see your shells bounce harmlessly off his armor.

So its all about picking your targets, knowing when and where to let 'er rip. Generally speaking you target broadside citadels, but it's also important to understand the overmatch and overpenetration mechanics, so you know when you can, or should, respectively, be targeting angled ships.

That said, each BB line is different, and different players will like one or the other more. I'd recommend the US battleships to start with. They are medium range, agile, general purpose brawlers up until T8 - and the slow speed is more of a good thing rather than a bad thing for beginning players. The IJN requires a little more finesse to play, their speed and weak armor will get you into trouble unless you have a good grasp of positioning.

P.S. I loved Kongo (there were fewer CVs back when I played her), disliked Fusu (detected from orbit concealment level irritated me), and love-love-love Nagatooo-oh. Still feeling out Amagi - it's nice but I like N.Cal, Alabama, and Richelieu more I think.

Edited by Rina_Pon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280
[151ST]
Member
2,354 posts
9,877 battles
6 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

You just have to get a little more familiar with how shells, ballistics, and armor work in the game.

All BBs can delete cruisers in one salvo, but if the cruiser is of a mind to not be deleted you can be shooting at him the entire game and have nothing to show for it. Similar situation for BBs. You can deal massive damage, or see your shells bounce harmlessly off his armor.

So its all about picking your targets, knowing when and where to let 'er rip. Generally speaking you target broadside citadels, but it's also important to understand the overmatch and overpenetration mechanics, so you know when you can, or should, respectively, be targeting angled ships.

That said, each BB line is different, and different players will like one or the other more. I'd recommend the US battleships to start with. They are medium range, agile, general purpose brawlers up until T8 - and the slow speed is more of a good thing rather than a bad thing for beginning players. The IJN requires a little more finesse to play, their speed and weak armor will get you into trouble unless you have a good grasp of positioning.

P.S. I loved Kongo (there were fewer CVs back when I played her), disliked Fusu (detected from orbit concealment level irritated me), and love-love-love Nagatooo-oh. Still feeling out Amagi - it's nice but I like N.Cal, Alabama, and Richelieu more I think.

Amagi's rear belt extends to her stern quite a ways, she excels S-turning using her 10 beautiful 410s while laughing at the trollishness of her belt and torp bulge...

(When fighting and withdrawing)

Edited by S4pp3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×