Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
lunsmann

"Poitato" in Asashio is not the worst poitato on the team ???

16 comments in this topic

[4RSE]
275 posts
6,961 battles

Just bought it, because reasons you know. 

I know, I am definitely not skilled enough to not potato, but you know, you just have to have a go. 

First battle, I'm down the middle deep into enemy territory spamming very deep water torps at one of only 2 BB's in the match (4 x DD oh lordy lordy) when Aigle and Monaghan come hunting me, I see them first but it's not an equal fight and I go down quickly. Fair enough too, I am way out of my depth in that fight.

So second battle, this one I am bottom tier against 10's and 9's also a 4 DD match. How does this happen? Screenshots in the spoiler tell the story.

ps. I am not going to waste my 200% bonus XP missions (x25) in co-op. 

Spoiler

20191012173039_1.thumb.jpg.91b1629c6f8e80174b1642fc2f404024.jpg20191012173033_1.thumb.jpg.8fd7c12a037df38c28d465332121d7f0.jpg

20191012173112_1.thumb.jpg.f2bf5548f99deb3ef4893ce7f9d28fac.jpg

20191012173140_1.thumb.jpg.79fc43a50b4ced6d43bb3e44dcffbf78.jpg

Edited by lunsmann
Misidentified ship name.

[TLS]
3,959 posts
20,047 battles

I am going to be deadly honest with you.

You don't have enough time on IJN destroyers on either modes -YET- you bought an IJN destroyer that is literally on the hard difficulty, first requiring knowledge on how to play a proper IJN torpedo boat. First you need to learn how to Kagero properly then will you only know how to play asashio better.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 1

[4RSE]
275 posts
6,961 battles
15 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

I am going to be deadly honest with you.

You don't have enough time on IJN destroyers on either modes -YET- you bought an IJN destroyer that is literally on the hard difficulty, first requiring knowledge on how to play a proper IJN torpedo boat. First you need to learn how to Kagero properly then will you only know how to play asashio better.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely know and agree with you. I have basically co-op'ed my way to Mutsuki (only a handful of randoms in any DD's, let alone IJN DD's. I just wanted Asashio in my port and right now it comes with a bonus mission that is time gated until mid november giving triple XP for 25 battles. I totally expect to be totally out of my depth while I learn the ship and it's unique play style.

I am just gob smacked that as potato as I am in this boat, I came 3rd in the team. How is that possible? (I do obviously know how, because the team just melted).

[MRI]
3,463 posts
14,906 battles
Just now, lunsmann said:

Hide contents

20191012173039_1.thumb.jpg.91b1629c6f8e80174b1642fc2f404024.jpg20191012173033_1.thumb.jpg.8fd7c12a037df38c28d465332121d7f0.jpg

20191012173112_1.thumb.jpg.f2bf5548f99deb3ef4893ce7f9d28fac.jpg

20191012173140_1.thumb.jpg.79fc43a50b4ced6d43bb3e44dcffbf78.jpg

Wow what a steamroll. Top winner only got 1.4k base xp; I can't imagine either team having fun in that match. :fish_sleep:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[4RSE]
275 posts
6,961 battles

The adventure continues.  Battle # 3 placed me in the middle of the pack, also a defeat. But #4 was finally a victory, and I survived this one spending the entire fight contesting a cap (while remaining inside that cap) with nearly half the enemy team. 5.4 km detection is nice. 1 of the enemy had radar as well.

I don't want anyone to think I am bragging, just want to share the fun I am having with this amazing boat. I expect to get obliterated in the next dozen battles .... 😉

Spoiler

20191012191108_1.thumb.jpg.2ba587c12d4a22b68369379cdc5e2386.jpg

20191012191136_1.thumb.jpg.5093a9eff65707692a5f588f569159e4.jpg

20191012191209_1.thumb.jpg.53bd51f33427e8332b5147f157b34f9d.jpg

20191012191229_1.thumb.jpg.9d78b387794a5245b8ce173b2217ee91.jpg

[AN-DO]
659 posts
9,712 battles
40 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Wow what a steamroll. Top winner only got 1.4k base xp; I can't imagine either team having fun in that match. :fish_sleep:

What Thyaliad said. a complete rout, unfortunately I've been seeing more of these kinds of battles from both sides. It's hard to get a good run in a boat even on the winning team in those sorts of games, which also makes it hard to learn. If you stick to what @dejiko_nyo said though and spend a bit more time in the standard IJN line then you should start to pick things up pretty fast and you'll be able to see just how deadly asashio can really be. It's also worth finind some good DD players to div with so you can get a few tips from them.

• Cool 2

[MRI]
3,463 posts
14,906 battles
1 hour ago, blauflamme22 said:

What Thyaliad said. a complete rout, unfortunately I've been seeing more of these kinds of battles from both sides.

Yeah. Of the games I played today I can safely say  more than half of them were steamrolls.

[SPCTH]
390 posts
9,083 battles

This seems to be the norm of the current game. Steam rolls and getting wasted if your not in the best ship of its class. You want to have fun playing other ships and playstyles but you cant cos you get planted hard and you dont enjoy it. The game is so bad in MM and OP ships that most of the rest are pretty crap, for the ordinary person let alone casuals and not so good players.

[BLESS]
1,163 posts
10,429 battles

I'm not the worlds greatest Asashio player or anything, but like @dejiko_nyo said, this isn't a ship where you can just jump into and learn how to play in a half dozen games or so. It's T8, you're gonna be facing T10 DDs as often as not, and IJN DDs in general require a high level of experience with the game before a player can do well in them. Your opportunities are going to be few and far between, the threats frequent. You need to be able to see both coming well in advance. You also need to be able to keep a running assessment of your value to your team, informing you of the best action to choose: do you spot, do you protect, do you cap, or do you strike?

Asashio is a Kagero with weird torps, but still a Kagero at heart. Most of the time you aren't serving your team by running off early and trying to kill the enemy BBs. Even if it doesn't get you killed, you are leaving your team without your protection and support. It's better to use your torps for area denial early game, and focus on cap contesting and spotting. The BB killing happens in the last half of the match.

• Cool 1

[4RSE]
275 posts
6,961 battles
17 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I'm not the worlds greatest Asashio player or anything, but like @dejiko_nyo said, this isn't a ship where you can just jump into and learn how to play in a half dozen games or so. It's T8, you're gonna be facing T10 DDs as often as not, and IJN DDs in general require a high level of experience with the game before a player can do well in them. Your opportunities are going to be few and far between, the threats frequent. You need to be able to see both coming well in advance. You also need to be able to keep a running assessment of your value to your team, informing you of the best action to choose: do you spot, do you protect, do you cap, or do you strike?

Asashio is a Kagero with weird torps, but still a Kagero at heart. Most of the time you aren't serving your team by running off early and trying to kill the enemy BBs. Even if it doesn't get you killed, you are leaving your team without your protection and support. It's better to use your torps for area denial early game, and focus on cap contesting and spotting. The BB killing happens in the last half of the match.

Yeah, I already figured that bit out. Watched a lot of videos by Jingles, Flamu and Flambass to get the gist of the boat. 5.4 km detection is damn good, making it a perfect boat for capping which is what I have focused on so far. Perhaps a bit too much as early game the cap zones are very hot places. I certainly haven't been running off on my own.

I expect to need the guns a fair bit, and obviously my survival against gun boat DD's is dependent on nearby cruisers more than my own guns. My next commander perk will have to be EM to get the guns turned faster. I have a 10 point captain on the boat already.

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles

When you say Poitato, i almost refer to that man. Lol.

Idk why most Asashio player hunting BBs like crazy, they abandoned the capping duty.

I mean, you've got that 20km range.

The thing i respect from 20km range, is that i can fire to literally half the map, almost as long as that of a BB range.

Even with Shimakaze's 20km i could manage to hit things at any range.

And still cap regularly.

Idk if those streamers listed there giving a good example of long range torpedo-ing.

With torpedo more than 10km, or if you want to hit irregular course more than 10km; It need a lot of freedom of thinking.

Instead dropping fishes to the ones who is in front of you;

Ones who had spotted you; Or aware of your presence;

Fire to the camper across the map.

They wont expect to be hit by torps from broadside, as far as 20km. They had focus to other things, not torpedoes.

Fire from the edge of cap point, i mean, the safest edge of the cap, so you're doing cap while keep to fire those torpedoes.

Not many DDs enjoy luxury of capping at the safest edge but also having enough range to deliver doom.

Ofc, it also depends on the map. Some caps could be treacherous to you.

If that happens, it is a plan B. Spot spot spot.

Only when you feel safe from ambushes, go for it.

It took a lot of experience to memorise all of those safe edges from any map. But don't worry, you will, eventually.

Or i'd say inevitably, if you enjoyed playing as DD.

Asashio is a good cap contestant, as long she don't join the firefight early.

Detect your enemy, notice if you get any fire support from your mates.

If yes, you see shells flies from your back to your spotted target.

Then feel free to join the gunnery practice. Always be wary of radar as usual.

I don't have Asashio by myself, but as a ship, i've played Kagero, Yuugumo a lot.

Encountered Asashio a lot of times.

As 20km torp, i always use that on my Shimakaze.

I could buy her with doubloon but BB only torp is kinda meh for me.

Having torp able to hit a DD is a strong tool to fight against another DD. Even if they don't hit.

Looking at enemy team roster, "eeh, Asashio". As a DD player i would say "it is a free real estate".

Tho it actually rare happened to be that way, even if the Asashio player is actively contesting cap.

Gossip :

Actually i also memorise how fast my torpedo is, enemy movement pattern, speed, and habit of any player especially whose played a lot against me. Pressing tab every battle is a lot of information.

It enables me to hit unseen DDs. Or hitting a cruiser which moving straight left, but made a U turn to the right 40s later, from 22km away from my ship at the point of impact.. With 15km torpedo, and sink her.

Although it also make a huge strain to me, so i don't use it very often.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
428 posts
5,712 battles

Don't be afraid to use your guns.

Higher tier IJN torpboats have a turret configuration that makes them effective at kiting. Combined with your good shell velocity, you can put up a decent fight at med ranges by swinging your tail while using the 2 back turrets.

However that doesn't mean you want to do 1 v 1 trades. You're an opportunist.

• Cool 2

[SMOKE]
1,866 posts
15,736 battles

Remember the torp in so many cases are fired for effect, and that I do not mean a hit ... its fired to force enemy to take a direction or turn to another or simply drive them away from certain key points ...of course such kind of tactical run yield no credit, no XP, and frequently teammate is all just about you doing the part to serve them ( all DD suffer this kind of mis treatment ) but a DD player is no less and no more equal than a CV or a BB player, listen to their need but assess it , if it favor the team and contribute to ultimate victory, its worth it ( if you can pull it off ) , if not, ignore them , I've done it so many time ( and get cursed for it cause the guns want this, want that but would not give up close support, would not take out enemy Radar, would not give AA cover etc etc etc ... )

I do not like to say this, but in current game meta, too many guns are all in their selfish farming, sniping, mode of thought, they fail to see the tactical need, fail to employ their HP, Armor, and their firepower to that goal, they see only damage dealing , that is a trap CV falls into too, but as a DD player , try hard not to fall into that ( though end result is dismal return of credit and exp ) .. DD and CL serve a different role, you support, you give tactical advantage to the team by your sheer presence ( especially when enemy cannot see where you are ) and if chance fate might smile on you you had a window to launch your torp or fire your gun for effect ..

• Cool 2

[STEIN]
128 posts
10,699 battles
6 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart said:

Asashios guns are surprisingly good. But new french DDs at higher tiers are too powerful.

Not just same as Kagero?

Sign in to follow this