Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Arcangel11

Question about the baltimore

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[IMPTF]
Member
3 posts
1,413 battles

So I've been using the Baltimore. I was super excited to start using a T8 Cruiser as I had only used battleships up to this point. 

There appears to be no information on the citadel for the baltimore other than more people saying its ultra hard to hit. 

However, consistently, a single shell will hit towards the rear of the ship and deal 15-20k damage. 

Why does this happen? Is that where the citadel is? 

thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
Member
4,495 posts
8,614 battles

Use this in Port (red arrow):

shot-19_10.02_16_19.39-0788.thumb.jpg.9e657b3929ccc39718fcf5324cf68ebc.jpg

 

3 minutes ago, Arcangel11 said:

a single shell will hit towards the rear of the ship and deal 15-20k damage. 

You got hit by more than 1 shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[IMPTF]
Member
3 posts
1,413 battles

In saying that, I used the feature, and I still dont understand why theres more significant damage done at the back of the ship, yet the front of the ship is the same armour rating and not even nearly the same amount of damage is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,118
[FORCE]
Member
2,183 posts
11,625 battles

Most cruisers are more vulnerable to citadel hits from the rear because the aft plating is completely flat, unlike the bow plating which is always angled. Someone with Baltimore just harassed a Bismarck few minutes ago & almost took no damage other than from Bismarck secondary hits. Baltimore & the other high tier cruisers can bow tank any AP shells smaller than 406 mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
Member
4,495 posts
8,614 battles
24 minutes ago, Arcangel11 said:

In saying that, I used the feature, and I still dont understand why theres more significant damage done at the back of the ship, yet the front of the ship is the same armour rating and not even nearly the same amount of damage is done.

Depends on what kind of hit your ship takes. Normal penetration hits deal 1/6 upto 1/3 of the shell's written damage. Citadel hits deal 100% of the written damage. Overpenetrations deal 1/10. 

 

Read more on the game's official wiki:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

There are more hidden values/stats/variables but most players don't have to know. The AA section on each ship's page is extremely outdated, don't read that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[KAMI]
Member
1,503 posts
12,372 battles

Look at baltimore rear, actually almost all usn high tier

They are actually easier to hit due to them being in roundy-square shaped instead of oval-like shape

Just take note of this 

46 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Normal penetration hits deal 1/6 upto 1/3 of the shell's written damage. Citadel hits deal 100% of the written damage. Overpenetrations deal 1/10. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,357 posts
5,718 battles
8 minutes ago, Gummilicious said:

Look at baltimore rear, actually almost all usn high tier

They are actually easier to hit due to them being in roundy-square shaped instead of oval-like shape

Just take note of this 

 

Also, the Overmatch Rule of 14.3 (a ship's plating, when properly angled, can ricochet any AP shell which calibre is less than 14.3 times of its thickness) should be stressed here also. It explains why Baltimore can bow-tank 15-inch APs with her 27-mm hull plating.

This is extremely useful for a battleship player, though some cruisers benefits from lolpen overmatch as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[SALT]
Member
2,016 posts
10,542 battles

Belt armor of Balti not extended into third turret. Unlike bow part where it extend till the first turret. 

So Balti bow is indeed tankier by default.

worchester have similiar amor profile though, Armor belt not extended to Turret 5-6. you can say their ass is prime for spanking

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×