You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Yahagi

15 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles

Why would I possibly want to buy Yahagi?

... thinks ...

Wait ... I could use my 19 point Zao captain on her.

[clicks buy button]

[SEARN]
891 posts
14,332 battles

Agano class is a ship I have wanted in the game since I first started playing wows. Hopefully WG will allow ships like Agano class which had depth charges, to actually use them against subs.

I was thinking along the same lines you were, as being able to use my 19 point Zao captain was a nice bonus to sweeten the deal

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles

Also, going by previous introductions, this is likely the first step on the way to a new IJN CL tech tree line.

• Cool 1

[-NZ-]
246 posts
7,995 battles

I bought the Yahagi because:

- I'm a fan of IJN

- This is a ship that was once commanded by IJN capt. Tameichi Hara (beside the Amatsukaze and Shigure) as her last captain. I read his memoir as an introduction to the history of IJN in WW2 which I studied at the academy.

Got 2-3 battles onboard of her so far, and still learning the best way to optimize her capabilities.

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

[-NZ-]
246 posts
7,995 battles
51 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Also, going by previous introductions, this is likely the first step on the way to a new IJN CL tech tree line.

I hope they will intorduce the IJN CL tech tree line sooner or later.

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles
7 hours ago, Sharr_Dextera said:

Got 2-3 battles onboard of her so far, and still learning the best way to optimize her capabilities.

Will try later today. I imagine it's much like pre-nerf Emile. Stay back, throw out HE and torp down corridors.

I'm rather surprised WG put 12 km torps on a T5 ship. I realize this range has less value at low tiers where the maps are so small anyway, but still...

4,210 posts
8,059 battles
9 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

2022, after German and British battlecruiser/2nd BB lines :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles

YAHAGI mini review:

Imagine playing an Emerald, but without smoke.

Sure, you have HE, and long range torps, but you have to spend so much time trying not to get shot at that it's really, really hard to do any damage.

The guns are not good. They have range but not much else going for them.

The torps are mixed. The two launchers are center line, allowing for 8 torp spreads, but the firing angle is miniscule.

You have no armor.

The only playstyle I can fathom here is as second line support, mostly as a long range torp boat.

1,119 posts
4,726 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

YAHAGI mini review:

Imagine playing an Emerald, but without smoke.

Sure, you have HE, and long range torps, but you have to spend so much time trying not to get shot at that it's really, really hard to do any damage.

The guns are not good. They have range but not much else going for them.

The torps are mixed. The two launchers are center line, allowing for 8 torp spreads, but the firing angle is miniscule.

You have no armor.

The only playstyle I can fathom here is as second line support, mostly as a long range torp boat.

So the boat actually performs like a Yubari that has a third turrent, even faster speed and vastly improved torpedoes?

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles
1 hour ago, Project45_Opytny said:

So the boat actually performs like a Yubari that has a third turrent, even faster speed and vastly improved torpedoes?

Ye-es, as far as such analogies go. The AA is definitely better than average. The torps are good. There are definitely three turrets.

6x152mm @9s is anemic, but I'm not building a ship-specific captain. Maybe with BFT/AFT the gunpower could be moved to "alright", but consider that Emile and Konigsberg have 9 guns each I don't see how it could ever be considered competitive.

213 posts
9,985 battles

Sounds like I'd put my 155mm Mogami captain in it, if I bought it.

If I want to mess around with torpedo yoga I've already got a Yubari, so I'm not seeing a unique experience here worth my RL $$$'s.

[SMOKE]
1,501 posts
14,137 battles
4 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

which is to be expected, basically Yubari is THE experimental ship which IJN taken to put to use design elements onto their later ships from DD all the way to Super Yamato class BB

[-NZ-]
246 posts
7,995 battles

So far IMO, the problem for me are the guns. Slow reload at 9 sec and only 6 of them, compare to other CLs in this tier (konigsberg, emile bertin, kirov) in overall performance.

On positive side, It's got a nice torps (but slow reload and limited firing arc), and speed boost (gimmicky?).

Against tier 6 or 7? Just brace yourself, they will see you as an easy prey.

[-CAT-]
1,310 posts
9,556 battles
On 9/29/2019 at 8:25 AM, Paladinum said:

2022, after German and British battlecruiser/2nd BB lines :cap_cool:

dis one please. 🤤 + US 2nd BB line with optional BC included (WOT style tech tree "experiment"). 🤤🤤🤤

to get WG attention, send offerings:

US - Whisky
JP - Sake
RU - Vodka
GB - Rum
DE - Beer! Beer! (Oktoberfest (drink till you drop))
FR - Campaign
IT - Red or White Wine
EU - Brandy ?
AS - Arrack / Lambanog ?
ANZC - Maple Liquor and Coffee Liquor ?
LAC - Tequila

ZA - Amarula ?
IN - Ramula or Feni ?

🍺🍺🍺

However, offering them drinks may or may not put them in a sane state. Just like a certain rubbish they implemented to "play low tier"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Funny 2

[BLESS]
969 posts
9,188 battles

1622211870_Screenshot(570).thumb.png.66c023d081eea425673325bdec06d30b.png

This is one of my on-the-better-side Furutaka games, but still, most of my T4-5 matches end up on the high side of 40k.

Same MM I would struggle to break 10k in Yahagi. Just to put some perspective on it.